Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Beast Boxing 3D - Coming Soon! (wip)

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by goodhustle, Feb 21, 2010.

1. goodhustle

goodhustle

[Edited 10-25-2010]

Yay! The Full version of Beast Boxing is finally approved and waiting for launch while we clear the Lite version too. It's time to post some updated info for anyone following along! We're aiming for a release date of the 31st or earlier, so we've got our fingers crossed that the Lite version passes!

Official Trailer:

The newest boxing game for iPhone and iPod Touch is coming in a matter of days! Featuring a story-based Career mode with nine fights, a Gym with upgrades and powerups, and a Rematch system that lets you take on old opponents for extra coins, Beast Boxing gives you a brand new boxing adventure at each of three difficulty levels. This trailer shows some of the opponents in the first two leagues.

We blended the best of all of our favorite boxing games into one amazing, nostalgic-but-new first person 3D boxing game, and the results are smashing, to say the least! If you enjoy leisurely strolls through beautiful backdrops, compelling stories, and awesome characters, then play through the game on Casual mode. If you've played boxing games before, give Gamer mode a try and we'll give you a challenge. For the ultimate in Beast Boxing madness, try our super Hardcore mode that challenges even the testers who have been playing it for months! 20 achievements in Game Center give you even more rewards as you play.

In the story, you're a human from the slums - a little person in a beastly world. You've always been a fan of the famous Beast Boxers of the world - Steve, the Fitness Skeleton, Kamander, the champion of the Pro Leagues and owner of Kamander's Dojo, and the invincible armored beast Darbech at the top of them all. One day, you find a monster costume that looks like it'll hold up to the rigors of the ring. You saved up all your cash to buy it, and you head off to the local boxing gym to take your qualifiers. The rest is Beast Boxing history...

Screenshots

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  2. 7loop7

7loop7

monsters boxing :D that really caught my eye, yes Sir! :D

are there more monster we can see?

3. goodhustle

goodhustle

Thanks 7loop7, there will be! We're finishing up with a nerdy snake monster and I'll post some screenshots of him when he's in-game. :) There will probably be 4 or so "base" monster styles with different rigging and animations, and a couple different styles for each monster to add variety.

4. goodhustle

goodhustle

Just wanted to post an update! We took a little break when the Apple TOS brouhaha began, but recently we decided just to power through and finish this project. At least with Unity, we'll have some options to port it to other platforms if the iPhone is a no-go when we're done!

The finish line is in sight now. We're mostly just cranking on production, finishing up UI and character animations, so it shouldn't be too long now!

Here's some new teaser media - make sure to catch the gameplay video!

Quick Gameplay Preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFjccOVM2sY

5. n0mad

n0mad

Looks gorgeous !

6. Pulov

Pulov

looks very professional

7. goodhustle

goodhustle

Posted some updated video, screenshots, and info. The game is getting pretty close to its final builds now, and we're in the home stretch - hopefully about a month or so. Since the art and gameplay are really solid at this point, it's time to spend a lot more time on communication and getting the word out!

My current plan is pretty standard - spread videos, screenshots, and info to several of the major forums (TA, PocketGamer.co.uk, TouchGen, 148apps, and AppVee) about a month or so ahead of launch, then slowly expand to a greater amount as the date gets closer. I'm also planning to increase post frequency on my blog, which cross-posts to facebook and twitter, and try to give interested audience as many opportunities to follow its launch as possible.

I'm interested in hearing if the Unity community has any suggestions for how to market this type of game successfully, especially if you've had success with monster, zombie, boxing, or similar types of games. Do you know of any niche communities or fan sites that might really like this kind of thing?

8. Baracuda771

Baracuda771

Amazing. It reminds me of Punch Out a little bit. :D

9. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

Jeez... that takes me back to my youth in the mid 80's fighting Vodka Drunkenski in the local arcade and hitting that big KO button.

It does look great! Hope it does really well for you.

Best Regards,
    Matt.

10. mehware

mehware

Saw this on toucharcade, glad its unity made. Amazing.

11. goodhustle

goodhustle

Thanks guys. With Unity, I was able to get a super basic prototype up in a week or so, and that got the ball rolling between the artist and me. If it wasn't for that (and our hopeless naivete), we probably wouldn't have even gotten started.

Of course, that was a year ago, and this has basically been my crash course in game development, so that prototype has almost no relation to what we're ending up with now. :)

12. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Looks really good, but remember gameplay is king.

I tried a few of the punchout style games and found they were all horrible.

I recommend handing the game to strangers and watching what they do without commenting :)

Edit: Hmm this comment sounded too negative... so I want to reiterate it looks bloody awesome, both stills and movies :)

13. goodhustle

goodhustle

JohnnyA: You're spot on, actually! I get bored really fast with a lot of the simulation-oriented boxing games that are trying to be a mobile version of Fight Night. The feel we're going for here is to eliminate a lot of the complexity, and leave a pure punch-em-up arcade game (think NBA Jam) that has less pattern recognition than Super Punch Out or its derivatives, and more rewards and visceral feel for the player when they're actually fighting. There's also a lot of story dialogue, coins you earn in the fights, upgrades and powerups to buy, and rematches to play to give you the ability to power up before difficult matches. Not to mention that I think some people will play the game just because they like want to see the art. :)

We've also done a lot to balance the game so that people aren't rewarded for using strategies that are boring - such as just tap-mashing all the way through a match, or repeatedly dodging, or getting one shot in then just blocking the rest of the round. A lot of that comes from watching people play and trying to figure out why boredom or confusion happens, then routing around that with improved game design or more helpful cues.

I think you're right in that the gameplay has to match the level of graphical sophistication, but I'm really happy with what we're accomplishing on that front. Unfortunately my last game had great gameplay but really sparse graphics, and I think that was probably an even worse position to be in in terms of sales. This time, though, I think we've got a potentially big hit on our hands, so we're making sure not to release it before it's ready. :)

14. n0mad

n0mad

Oh, I saw this promising game at Toucharcade, but didn't know it was made with Unity :D

Cool !

15. goodhustle

goodhustle

Thanks n0mad! Actually, I need to thank you for the post about mirroring animations via editor scripts. I was able to get that working, and even though it took a few days, it was really worthwhile! Unfortunately it's not working for me in the U3 betas, but I'll probably keep Unity iPhone 1.7.1 around for a while in case my bug report never gets fixed. :E

16. n0mad

n0mad

Oops, I realized I already posted a while ago, so in the end I already knew it was made with Unity :p

You're welcome. So it doesn't work anymore in U3 ?
    I'll make sure to make it work and provide an update to its thread, near U3 official release :)

Cheers !

17. goodhustle

goodhustle

Well, I wrote my own that uses the same technique - I found that when you create AnimationCurves via script for rotations in U3, it must use a different method for determining how to interpolate between the rotation values. It ends up causing these asymptotic jumps between keyframes that you can very easily see in the Editor's Animation panel. I ended up just filing a bug with my game's skeleton rig, but something tells me that this is going to be considered an edge case.

18. n0mad

n0mad

Are you exporting your FBX via Cinema 4D ?

19. goodhustle

goodhustle

Nope, they're from Maya.

20. n0mad

n0mad

Ok, because I had a similar problem with C4D, export settings were making some "filtering" on keyframes, (set at 1%, from 1-100%). It was just merging similar keyframes data to some % extent (which happens a bit for still poses).
    For example if frame 10 and frame 11 have the same rotation value at a 1% average precision, the 2 values were merged. Result was stuttering at certain times.

Maybe U3 is doing this too ?

21. goodhustle

goodhustle

Hmm, I don't think this was the issue, I think what happened is that the Euler representation between two keyframes was say, -359 and 1 degree, and instead of interpolating directly between the euler angles, the quaternions I ended up creating were causing the rotations to flip all the way around. This resulted in bones that would just flip wildly at many points in the animation.

Now that I think of it, maybe there's a difference between how the 3.0 codebranch converts from Euler to Quaternion representation? I know that it's not a 1:1 match, so maybe that was the issue? So far i've been guessing that this was a modelimporter issue where the interpolation setting on keyframes was screwing things up.

Have you tried running your script in U3?

22. n0mad

n0mad

Ah, I see. It could make sense, but if it's the reason, I would report this as a malfunction to Unity team. A 359° to 1° interpolation going all the way around is completely gamebreaking and would put a lot of animation work into trashcan :eek:

Unfortunately I didn't have the time since U3 beta to fully deploy my game onto it. I tried once to open the project, but it returned me so much errors which weren't there on 1.7.1 that I gave up and focused back on graphical production.

I'm 3 levels away from diving back into code, which would match U3 official release. So I prefer to reserve any code correction for that stable, ultimate release :)

Should be in a month I think.

Anyway, I'm sure Aras or Nicholas from UT could give you a quick info on how they could have changed interpolation methods (maybe a PM ?).

23. goodhustle

goodhustle

I'm in the same boat - actually, I moved everything over so that I could try out several of the new features, and I moved completely back after I discovered this different in asset import. I'll send them a PM and see what might have changed. Thanks!

24. n0mad

n0mad

Great, anyway you can be sure that I'll share the appropriate correction by the time ^^

Good luck !

25. mehware

mehware

I saw the video.... I have no idea how you did that in Unity. A pinch of code, dash of art, and some crazy design equal your video.

26. goodhustle

goodhustle

Thanks mehware! Game development is a real fun exercise in hacking together the best looking composition based on your restrictions. In this case, we have a viewpoint that only moves left or right, a single plane of movement, and all of that combines to allow us to do some pretty clever stuff with both character modeling and coding. :)

27. ranza

ranza

mad! :D I like it :)

28. goodhustle

goodhustle

29. n0mad

n0mad

I just noticed your July question ... my sincere apologies for not having been awared of it any sooner ...
    Updated the thread :)

Let's keep up the good work !

30. goodhustle

goodhustle

Beast Boxing 3D is "In Review" as of Monday. Fingers crossed! I got married over the weekend, so I've been a bit busy, but I'll be posting some vids and updated media soon.

31. goodhustle

goodhustle

Full version was approved, and Lite is going through the review process. Posted a new trailer and some updated screenshots and description in the OP.

32. SarperS

SarperS

Looks very well polished, especially the animations are wonderful. Congrats!

33. Rod-Green

Rod-Green

Hey man! Good luck to you an Khang hope it goes gangbusters! :D We need a launch party ;)

34. goodhustle

goodhustle

35. MatthewJCollins

MatthewJCollins

Looks fantastic! The art and animations are wonderful! Excellent work! :)