Search Unity

Augmented Reality Based on Natural Features - Unity3d Plugin

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by dannyxyz22, Feb 4, 2010.

1. dannyxyz22

dannyxyz22

Hi,
    in case anyone's interested, there's a demo video showing an integration of Unity3d and head tracking for creating augmented reality applications.
    Besides using a fire effect on the head, augmented reality glasses have been used.
    For some interaction, a sort of soccer game has been shown.
    Please use this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mJlR_IFPk4 to watch the video.

2. bliprob

bliprob

Nicely done!

3. mehware

mehware

ok that is one of the coolest things I have ever seen. Good Job.

4. neonleif

neonleif

of personal interest: What tech is behind this? OpenCV? (I guess not ARToolKit, it mostly rely on markers)... Other?

5. bliprob

bliprob

legoleg: the video says FaceAPI, which is http://www.seeingmachines.com/product/faceapi/ The free non-commerical API can be downloaded from there. OpenCV can be used for face tracking, too, but it's nowhere as good as this... but OpenCV is free, and this looks expensive.

6. neonleif

neonleif

Thanks...

Call me Ray Charles 8)

I am not far from my university BG where people where experimenting with different algorithms for different computer vision applications.

Seeing this with Unity is interesting... It does not seem like rocket science anymore :)

7. terry3d

terry3d

8. robhuhn

robhuhn

are the download links permanently removed?

@edit: the download works now.

9. jhocking

jhocking

I'm curious about the technical implementation here. So is FaceAPI actually integrated into Unity, or is it running as a separate process that sends the head position and orientation data to Unity?

Very cool demo!

10. dannyxyz22

dannyxyz22

I'm very glad you've enjoyed!

@terry3d
    Well, actually, the document at
    http://visionblaster.com/cms/images/stories/pdfs/streamerdocumentation.pdf is not exactly about this plugin. This document shows integration of a 6 degrees of freedom head tracker for the free version of Unity, but it does not add the Augmented Reality effect.
    In order to get that, the professional version is required (or the 30-day trial) and obtain the stream from the camera as well.
    @jhocking
    FaceAPI is actually running inside Unity. It calls their dll's for very high performance :)

Best regards,
    thanks for checking the video and sharing your opinions!

11. minevr

minevr

So cool~~I like...

fire in head~ :wink:

12. Michele

Michele

Is too much asking to post the example application with the script to connect to the dll? And of course the dll too :D

Thanks in advance

13. dannyxyz22

dannyxyz22

I'm glad you've liked :)
    Well, sorry, unfortunately I had a commercial developer license of FaceAPI when creating this video, so, the .dll would only be used with a dongle...
    But if you want to make the project open source you can get it with the non-commercial version of FaceAPI.
    Kind regards,
    Daniel

14. mocaponeuk

mocaponeuk

is there a face of using faceapi with the front camera on ios to track head movement?
    please contact me if anyone can help.

Warrenmackenzie@hotmail.com

15. Val_89

Val_89

Hi all :)

i have planned to use AR in school textbooks.....
    so is it Unity 3D suites to be implemented in a learning environment with AR or any other suggestion??

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013