Search Unity

4.6.2p2 Free Version iOS crash

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by JohnML, Feb 12, 2015.

1. JohnML

JohnML

Wanted to test the metal support, so I updated to todays 4.6.2p2 (free). When I try to run on my iOS device, I get a crash "You are using Unity iPhone Basic. You are not allowed to remove the Unity splash screen from your game" even though I'm not touching the splash screen image. I tried this with an existing project upgrade and a new project built with this version. Same error.

2. r618

r618

this check seems to be *very* fragile, was broken several times before
    got the same error
    pls report it, maybe next week it will be fixed

3. kaharoth

kaharoth

I have the same problem. Did you find a solution?

4. JohnML

JohnML

No. Maybe next weeks patch will fix it.

5. kaharoth

kaharoth

I solved the problem.
    After you generate the project delete these files from the project:
    LaunchScreenImage-Landscape.png
    LaunchScreenImage-Portrait.png
    LaunchScreen.xib

Then select the Unity-iPhone target from your Targets list and select the Info tab.
    Delete the key UILaunchStoryboardName~iphone from the Custom iOS Target Properties.

Clean your project and build.

Now it should work because it takes the correct screenshots from the Images.xcassets file.

6. ZimM

ZimM

Same problem here, very frustrating =/
    The Info tab was empty for me for some reason. I removed that key directly from Info.plist, but then the build fails because XCode can't find "LaunchScreen.xib".

7. kaharoth

kaharoth

Mmmmm. strange... it should work because Info.plist file is exactly the same.
    Did you remove the row completely ? You have to select the row with key UILaunchStoryboardName~iphone and press the delete key on your mac.
    Did you delete the app from the device? Sometimes XCode does not update the plist file in the app if you don't do a clean install.

By the way I realized that you just need to remove the UILaunchStoryboardName~iphone key from the Info.plist file.
    Don't delete the files.... it's useless.

8. ZimM

ZimM

Tried it once again and it worked now. Weird. Thanks!

9. AndreaP

AndreaP

Thanks for the solution kaharoth!

10. JohnML

JohnML

Yes, thanks kaharoth. Especially since the problem still persists in the 4.6.3 release.

11. allworknopay

allworknopay

Joining in to say thanks as well.

Also when testing through TestFlight and someone describes a problem as "shows a gray screen then crashes" they'll be talking about this.
    It wasn't obvious to me whether the message about the missing splash shows up on the device or in XCode so I didn't make the connection at first.

12. Defero

Defero

Thank you, fixed it

13. Keitto

Keitto

Thank you kaharoth, this fixed my build too! A little bit of delete sure does wonders.

14. ShadowM8

ShadowM8

Run into the same problem after updating to 4.6.3 and the solution from kaharoth fixed it, thanks!

This is not the first time this check caused issues, seems like a never ending cause for regressions.
    Anyone filed the ticket yet?

15. ZimM

ZimM

Unity said somewhere it is fixed already for 4.6.3p1, so we just have to wait.

16. monzitor

monzitor

I have the same problem in 4.6.3f1 release. When build for iPhone the message "You are using Unity iPhone Basic. You are not allowed to remove the Unity splash screen from your game" appears. For iPad everything is OK.
    As I see kaharoth solution, developers create build for PRO version and forget to remove custom splash screens :)

17. AndreaP

AndreaP

Two app updates of mine with the fix proposed on this thread have been approved by Apple :)

18. Carwashh

Carwashh

Doing just this didn't work for me, then I accidentally came across somewhere else I needed to remove the LaunchScreen stuff.

In XCode -> select project -> Build Phases -> Copy Bundle Resources -> Remove the 3 LaunchScreen files -> Clean and Build.

After doing this additional step, it worked for me.

19. Archie888

Archie888

Not working. Unity. Fix this issue please. It is a high-priority showstopper bug right now. In the future you need to to test your every Unity build to be able to successfully make a build on every platform.

Please be rigorous and organized in your QA.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  20. larku

larku

Have you tried with 4.6.3p1 ???

Detailed information like "Not working" is going to be very helpful for Unity to fix it. How about stating which version you're talking about since as it says 5 posts up "already for 4.6.3p1," yet you didn't even clarify what version you're talking about.

Note - if you want Unity to be "rigorous and organized in their QA" to catch every possible bug with all the work they've got going on right now expect to wait MONTHS for a fix.. You can't have quick fixes and super rigorous QA - not going to happen.

Carwashh likes this.
  21. vpinto

vpinto

this has worked for me, but every time i build to iphone the files return! I know that unity is for some reason adding in the custom splash screen, then telling me that it wont support them because its not pro. way to go Unity, giving me a month of pro from ggj, and then screwing me over afterwards.

if anyone knows how to keep these files out of xcode, please let me know, i'm using the most updated versions of everything

22. larku

larku

I know you said you're using "Updated version of everything?" But that leaves us guessing still - what version of Unity are you using?

I assume that you added a custom splash screen during your 'demo pro' period? If so, I expect there are some remnants left behind - maybe try track down where they may be in your Unity project (have you deleted the Library and Temp folders - a long shot, but just in case).

23. Archie888

Archie888

Sorry, I was using 4.6.3.f1. I tried every possible suggested help item and fix, and nothing helped.

No. If a texture option is not working, or there is some clipping here and there, such issues are fine, and we can all merrily laugh at them at the way to the bar, knowing it will all be ok in the next build.

An issue like this ceases all life. All development. I need to test certain features to work in the device, not in the simulator. We can well say that the deployment of the application to the target platform is a basic use case for this software. Smoke testing such critical application functionality should be the first thing done in any even the most archaic QA plan in existence. Thus, I used the term "show-stopping".

Btw: Those of you using Unity 4, try 4.6.0, this issue is not repeating there!

Currently installed Unity 5, not having this error, yay. :)

24. larku

larku

You'll note as I've said three times - that this IS fixed in 4.6.3p1 (note that is p1 not f1) that was release about a week ago. Again, you did not mention if you've tried it or not so I'll assume that you have not.

Note, that I've been using 4.6.3f1 and NOT had this issue - you're assuming it is happening in every case, it is not. Expecting that UT QA can find all possible instances of every bug with their short turn around (which is amazing) is short sighted. There must be a certain set of events occur for this error to be present. Note the lack of screaming people in this thread? That's because it only happened for a tiny fraction of users.

As I stated in a previous reply (and you did not confirm either way): I assume that you added a custom splash screen during your 'demo pro' period? If so, I expect there are some remnants left behind - maybe try track down where they may be in your Unity project (have you deleted the Library and Temp folders - a long shot, but just in case).

See my point above - this is NOT happening for everyone and IS fixed in the previous patch release (which it seems you keep missing the point despite the fact that I've been highlighting the p1 for you every time - please be rigorous when reading help given to you :)

But again, I have no idea if you've tried it yet as you have failed to give sufficient information or you have overlooked the detail in my replies. If this issue is so important to you, read the replies carefully and give explicit detail on in your replies or we're left guessing and have little chance of helping you.

As stated MANY times, this is fixed in 4.6.3p1 - which has been out for almost a week now.

25. qwd

qwd

i love you

26. davekalina

davekalina

I am seeing this exact problem in 4.6.3p2. Like building and deploying for iOS isn't an interminably long goddamn process to begin with...

27. davekalina

davekalina

And for what it's worth, Kaharoth's workaround was effective at patching the issue.

I'm really looking forward to repeatedly deleting files out of the auto-generated xcode project for the next 2 months.

28. larku

larku

Submit a bug report with a project that reproduces the issue and you won't need to wait 2 months - they do patch releases every week at the moment.

Also - what is the 'exact same issue' there are a few issues discussed in this thread.

29. pedrevans

pedrevans

kaharoth's suggestion

- Delete the key UILaunchStoryboardName~iphone from the Custom iOS Target Properties.

worked for me. (Unity 4.6.3f1, Xcode 6.3.2, OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite)

Thank you kaharoth.