Search Unity

4.5 Release

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Aurore, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

No one here had time to redraw all the icons at 2x resolution yet.

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Wish you could find time - its difficult to do ui dev with the 3D-view so pixelated. We'd happily settle for scaled-up icons if you could just get the 3D views working with retina screens. Congrats and thx for the 4.5 release :)

3. rosdi

rosdi

I have no qualm downloading 1Gb file everytime there is Unity update if that means a more stable, faster, lean Unity.. it is not that often anyway.
    The last thing I want is Unity to be bloated and slugish, or hogging the entire RAM just so that I could save 1Gb bandwith everytime there is Unity update.

4. _Nick

_Nick

See, the problem with me is that (being used to making bullet-hell games) I do pool everything at the beginning to avoid in-game lag. All previous versions of Unity (and in other engines, home made or not), pre-loading then using as you go ALWAYS makes it play nearly flawlessly. Unity has performed perfectly with my pooling method beforehand, and I'd save only particle effects for real-time instantiation; however, with Unity 4.5 out on the table, just having more than 50-100 sprites on the screen is enough to make it lag --when before I could have upwards of ~5,000 on the screen and no lag. Between me, and another friend over Twitter, we've identified that it is an issue with sprites, but without a larger number of computers to test on, I have no idea if it's my computer's GPU, if it's a mess up within Unity, or if it's something else that's caused this weird lag.

5. -chris

-chris

My conclusion with the new Rigidbody2D physics, Rigidbody2D.inertia, and Rigidbody2D.centerOfMass:

If your collider is symmetrical (eg just a square), and your centerOfMass is dead center in the middle of the collider, you can adjust the inertia to get your desired rolling amount. You can make a square or rectangle behave how you want; this works fine.

Less inertia = moves faster. Higher inertia = moves slower. It's like inertia lets you defy mass and gravity to your own desire.

Moving the centerOfMass around makes the object behave like a wobbly punching clown. Set it to the edge of the collider or beyond for the biggest wobbles.

$bozo.jpg

But, if your colliders are not symmetrical (like mine), it is impossible to define any true sort of centerOfMass point. Changing the inertia just adjusts how quickly or slowly it rolls. It's like you end up getting a plastic ball quarter-full of water, always moving because its center of mass keeps moving around.

I can't for the life of me get my PolygonCollider2D rigidbodies to not roll around stupidly. I also tried just using multiple BoxCollider2D components to roughly cover the shape of my sprite, but no luck, still behaved badly since the colliders are uneven.

I created two scripts to help me out with testing:

And yeah, I'm giving up for now. Moved the center points, changed the inertias, tried various physic material frictions too, no luck; custom PolygonCollider2D components get no love.

Please, Unity, could we have an option to revert back to 4.3's physics? Don't see myself using 4.5 or higher until I can get 4.3's physics back :/

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  6. -chris

-chris

That sucks - something's amiss for sure :(

7. theProtolith

theProtolith

Wow, all these updates look great. I didn't see anything though, that would help out my one problem-

Could any of you recommend a thread on why Unity's Quad primitive faces AWAY from the front viewport? I don't know a practical reason for it not to face forward, and it's starting to cause arguments at work.

For instance, I create a 3D model in 3DS Max, right? If I import it vanilla, the rotations will be off. It will be facing the right way, but the rotations will not read 0,0,0 as they should. SO, I go back to Max, and realign the X to 90. Import again, and everything's awesome.

But my boss keeps telling me that it's not good enough. He says that my models need to be facing the same way as the Quad. Unity's Quad, mind you, not some Quad I created in Max or in code.

So is the Unity's Quad Primitive facing the Right Direction? And if so, do my meshes need to be facing that way?

I was hoping this new update would say something about Quads, but it didn't...

8. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

@Chris: Assuming you haven't already, could you submit a bug-case for me to look at that clearly demonstrates the Polygon/Inertia issues you're seeing?

Thanks!

9. -chris

-chris

Done, submitted. Scene looks like this:

$scene.jpg

Hope you can resolve this! Thanks for looking.

edit: Case 610194

10. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

Got your case in front of me now. I've just had my morning coffee so I'll investigate this immediately for you. If there's a problem, I'll resolve it.

Thanks for your help.

11. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

We had a lot of debates internally about this, and in the end we wanted to provide 1 default. You can add in the Alpha sort with the included script if you feel like it.

As for why we have transform sort order.... well in the GUI system things are rendered in the order they are specified in the hierarchy..

12. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Hey, do you have a bug # for this? We went through a lot of betas without hearing about this issue and it would be nice to see what is going wrong in 4.5 vs 4.3 (If you can submit a repro with a 4.3 project so we could compare that would be the best).

13. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Well, my current project had no real performance drop at all, and that's on my suck-tastic integrated graphics. Maybe something new in Unity related to nVIDIA or AMD cards could be screwing with the video drivers... :/

14. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

15. nuverian

nuverian

Ummm.. So you changed the hierarchy for the GUI alone?
    Anyhow, will the GUI still work though if we sort it by alpha through that code? Cause I will definetely do sort it alphabeticaly again :)

16. eskovas

eskovas

After seeing many devs reporting new bugs and problems with Unity 4.5 and reports of some assets of the asset store not working properly, i think i'll hold off on updating to 4.5...
    Still don't know if my long time bug has been fixed yet ( 585752 , which was changed from the previous 575767), since it wasn't reported in the fixes section, but there's one that might be similar to mine : 596205 Switching dx11 on/off causes a crash with no bug reporter

Can someone tell me if my bug is fixed?

17. F.Salka

F.Salka

Sorry....but did you read all of my post or just the first two lines? I don't care about the icons being pixelated, i care about the fact that game/scene view IS NOT at retina resolution and thos developing gui for retina iPads is almost impossible.....you are supposed to be a graphic artist so you should know how important pixel to pixel accurecy is....which means each pixel in the game/ scene window should represent an actual pixel on the screen...currently each pixel on the scene view represents 4 pixels on the screen which is horrifying; plus, mac apps that are made with unity doesn't support retina display which is a huge downside.

And seriously, no one had time to redraw all the icons? I can redraw it for you if your time is that important, unity has the most simple GUI on earth that consists of no more than 10 icons ( move, scale, rotate and that's about it)

I think two years to redraw those icons is more than enough anyway.

I hope someone at unity have some logical explanation to this.

18. JFo

JFo

How is the rendering ordered when used alphabetic sorting? And how do we change the order by script and is it reflected in the hierarchy view? I'll expect lots of confusion...

19. pumpkinszwan

pumpkinszwan

I find that 2D physics behaves *completely differently* in my project. Objects move more slowly, and bounciness and other properties seem off.

I notice there are a bunch of new physics 2D settings in the project settings...is there a way to make physics behave like 4.3 by changing some of these settings (the settings don't exist in 4.3, so I have no idea if they should be changed, and trial-and-error would take forever).

Here are my settings panels for 2D physics:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24816667/physics2d_Unity4_3.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24816667/physics2d_Unity4_5.png

EDIT: Solution found (sort of). It seems that changes to inertia have put all my objects out of whack. Setting the inertia manually on my items makes them behave how they did in 4.3, however I have to use trial and error to get them all to act exactly as they did, and thoroughly test all the interactions in my game. I don't suppose there is a way to automatically change the inertia on my prefabs to be calculated the 4.3 way?

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

logical explanation is this only affects customers developing on mac laptops since they are the only machines currently with retina rez and that represents a smaller segment of customers. Nobody has unlimited resources to fix everything etc etc.
    There's been some great updates to unity over the last two year that we're really thankful for them. Non-retina programs look "clunky" on retina screens and its hard to do UI work with the 3D-view looking pixelated. Stab in the dark, this fix will come in unity 5. In the meantime, some kind of stop-gap fix to get the 3D-view working on retina-screen would be awesome.

21. F.Salka

F.Salka

Well all of iOS app developers use macs....so i don't think its a small portion, If they keep retina support until unity 5 it will be the rudest thing EVER, we are not ready to throw another 3000$ again just to have pixel accurate game view, retina support should be a number one priority for the unity mac team.

22. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

I heard you guys are hiring a graphics designer... Where do I send a cv?

23. thempus

thempus

Remember that windows can get high resolution displays too, it's not only for mac users.

24. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

25. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

26. BTStone

BTStone

It's apparently a minor thing but everytime I create a new GameObject via GameObject/Create Empty Unity creates the GameObject at a weird position with weird Position-Values.

27. F.Salka

F.Salka

They actually have an open job for a UI/UX Designer that have 3+ Years of desktop application designer experience; maybe that would explain why they don't have retina support for the unity editor yet?

http://unity3d.com/company/jobs/position?id=oFY1Yfwm

28. StarManta

StarManta

It has always put new objects at the center point of the Scene View; for me, in 4.5, it still does. Has that changed for you?

29. BTStone

BTStone

Yes it has, but now it's kind of weird. Sometimes they have a Z-Value of 616. That's not the center of the Scene-View, I guess :D

30. goat

goat

31. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

It doesn't? If you have your standard camera facing down Z and you make a quad, it faces the camera so you can see it. Also if you put the scene view in 2D mode, you can see it. (With normal shaders that do backside culling, it's invisible from the back side.) I can't imagine why they'd flip it around so it would be invisible unless you used a "cull off" shader. Way too confusing.

Also maybe because people kept requesting the ability to be able to reorder the hierarchy for years. Out of curiosity, is there any practical reason why you'd want it sorted alphabetically? Honestly I'd say this is one of those "it should have worked like this all along" things. (Kind of like GameObject.SetActive, where after the initial "aaaaaaaah it's different why it is different" reaction I think people got it.)

As far as creating game objects go, the behavior is the same. It puts the object in the center of the scene view, at some kind of distance from the scene view camera. I've never been 100% clear on the rules regarding that distance, but it seems to have something to do with the object that you had selected previously. In any case I don't see any different behavior.

--Eric

32. StarManta

StarManta

The answer is "Because it hasn't worked like this all along", really. People have gotten used to all their workarounds and built their scenes around it.

I love the ability to add custom sorts. I already have one that sorts by X Position, which is making it really easy to lay out levels in 2D.

33. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

So, does the sorting affect only the visual representation of the hierarchy? Or does it actually reorder transforms in the array? So if I set the "alphabetical sorting", does that actually re-order all the transforms so they are ordered alphabetically in their respective children arrays?

34. StarManta

StarManta

Only the way it's displayed.

35. Deleted User

Deleted User

but you could write a script that also changes the index. But as StarManta said, the one on the Documentation is only visuall

36. niosop2

niosop2

Can you elaborate on how the default sorting actually sorts? I love being able to reorder stuff by dragging it around, but when I enter/exit playmode stuff gets shifted around.

37. Seth-McCumber

Seth-McCumber

Oooooh fancy new scripting reference! :-D Downloading 4.5 now

38. StarManta

StarManta

Well... it doesn't sort. It just uses the array of children the way it's stored internally, and does no sorting. It'd be more natural to call it "No Sorting" or "Manual Reordering" than the current "Transform Sort".

I don't see how entering and exiting playmode would affect the order, unless you have a script that's mucking around with transform parentage and such.

39. Mitralone

Mitralone

Hello,

In xCode, I get the following message.

iPhone_View.h not found.

Is this related with Unity or the plugin(IOS Native) that I use?I checked plugins resources and this file never existed there. Is it something to do with the new OpenGLES?

My build wont compile because of this. Should I revert back to 4.3?

Thanks for replies

40. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

It's not fixed.

41. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

42. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

One of the first things I did when I joined Unity 5 years ago was to hire a technical writer. The one I hired most recently started getting the docs to match the organisation adopted for the Learn team. That was started just after the 4.3 release, and took some coordinating.

43. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Curiosity led me to dive into the source code to see what's happening. There's something funky going on that I don't completely understand. One of the tests that is made is to look at the number of polygons, and see if that is larger than 3*65536. I assume this has something to do with the number of indices needed for each triangle. The bug report I looked at (604417) had an fbx with 202500 polygons. (It's possible that where the code says polygons it actually means indices.) Anyways, if this test fails, then the message you guys have seen gets printed. So, at best, we have a bug where the message is wrong. It should say there's a split if the number of vertices is too large, or the number of indices is too large. I'll add my comments to the bug.

44. eskovas

eskovas

oh, ok.
    Thanks for the awnser.
    I've had that bug ever since Unity 4.1, and with this bug i can't work with dx11 in my game and i can't even have some dx11 shaders in my project folder or it will break everything...
    I guess i'm probably only one of the very few with this problem, so it's not a very requested bug to be fixed, but has been really long with no fix to this.

45. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ask nicely and who know's maybe UT will think of some sort of quick-fix before they go about redoing the whole UI or whatevs. Customers who ask nicely are usually listened to more IMO...
    Right now stats.unity.com says Macs represent 14.5% of Editor users but its only really laptops that have retina-mode. So doesn't apply to iMac users. I don't think this issue affects windows users with high-rez screens since that just makes stuff smaller? Retina-mode is a software thing and makes the UI scale-up or something so it has more pixels but doesn't look too small on the screen. End of the day, it means work for UI devs and the fix in Unity's case, as I understand, wasn't even that straight forward cos of the way their UI was made.

Nonetheless, hopefully they can find someway of at least getting the 3D-veiw to run at 2x so its not pixelated.

Does anyone know of work-around to get the Editor working in retina-mode? Perhaps a third-party plugin or something that can override?

46. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

I don't know if its the right test, but since I am using windows on a macbook pro, I tested a moire-test-gif. In IE it looks normal, every second pixel is black (the image is just checkered), in Unity with a guitexture and the right settings too.

47. thempus

thempus

Windows 8.1 has DPI settings to scale elements on the UI quick link here

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  48. Deleted User

Deleted User

cool, yea looks a bit like the display controls from osx. Do you experience the pixelated problem on windows as well?

49. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

I can send you an example object (just a plane made in Max with 256 length segs and 128 width segs, no uvs) that after import into Unity results in a split object of two meshes, the first with 33152 verts and 65534 tris, the second with 4 verts and 2 tris, so that does not pass the test you mention above as 65536 is nowhere near 3 * 65536. You can test it with the fbx at www.west-racing.com/planesplit.fbx

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  50. habitoti

habitoti

On OSX 10.9.3:

* Double clicking an error does open Mono and correct file, but does not put cursor in referenced line (still...sigh)
    * Mono: CMD-A opens Docs (which should be CMD-'). Select all can only be called via menu :eek:
    * Mono gets very slow after a while of working with it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.