Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

4.3 Multithreaded rendering crashes when running on device

Discussion in 'Android' started by foobar, Nov 18, 2013.

1. foobar

foobar

Hi,

Wondering if anyone else is experiencing constant crashes when enabling multithreaded rendering in Unity 4.3 and running a build on their device.

Thanks,
    Gordon

2. PigJazz

PigJazz

Hey Gordon our team is experiencing the exact same problem. We were really excited about the multithreaded rendering and it's a bummer it doesn't seem to be working at the moment. Unfortunately I have no solutions but just wanted to second your complaint.

3. Muckel

Muckel

here too...
    turn it off and it works but it's not the solution...
    I#m still using 4.2.2

4. mbowen89

mbowen89

I enabled multithreaded rendering and my game doesn't crash on my Galaxy S4, however my NGUI interface flickers on and off and is stretched and distorted like crazy...

Any ideas why this happens?

5. cpasjuste

cpasjuste

Same here !

6. Agent_007

Agent_007

Do you use latest NGUI version?

7. mbowen89

mbowen89

I haven't updated since 4.3 if that's what you mean. However I also had weird graphical glitches when I look at some of my models too, I would see these warped triangles flashing across entire screen, so I don't think it has anything to do with ngui specifically.

8. Wom

Wom

I'm seeing similar glitches/crashes to everyone on this thread.
    I made this post because I thought the problem was OpenGL ES 2.0 vs 3.0: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/21...ES-3-0-devices-when-built-with-Open-GL-ES-2-0

After finding this thread though - it seems more likely to be multithreaded rendering. Tried it and it does indeed fix the problem (at least on my Nexus 5). Toggling between ES 2 and 3 fixed the problem too - but given everyone else's posts in this thread, I reckon this is more likely the issue.

I also am a NGUI user - running Unity 4.3.1 f1 and NGUI 3.0.6 f6 (both are the latest released versions as of 2013-12-06).
    Though for the record, I've also seen Vectrosity have rendering issues with this too, so it's not just NGUI. Both of those assets introduce new cameras, maybe it's something to do with that.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  9. Alexey

Alexey

Unity Technologies

guys, multi-threaded rendering is still a bit experimental feature. Please report bugs with repro projects (preferably smaller ones ;-)) so we can debug it

GuillaumeZAHRA likes this.
  10. Wom

Wom

I've got no problems with bugs - stuff happens.

But am I crazy, or is this feature automatically switched on by default when you upgrade to 4.3?
    Why would you default an experimental feature to on?

If you want to include paying customers in your beta test team - ask first.
    Tracking this down has cost me a bunch of time I really could have used elsewhere.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  11. Alexey

Alexey

Unity Technologies

ok, first of all i should have put experimental in quotes probably - i just meant that it is first release with it and the thing in itself is very complicated so it is expected to have some bugs
    As for switching on by default: i think this is a bug by itself. At some point MT rendering option was shared between multiple platforms so it was enabled by default. But then i fixed it so mobile platforms have separate path (and disabled by default). Though i honestly dont remember was it supposed to be in 4.3 or 4.3.1

12. imtrobin

imtrobin

It seems 4.3.3 is still flickering.

13. radiantSil

radiantSil

yeah, It still happens in Unity 4.3.3.

It seems to happen on OpenGL ES 2.0 target and enabled Multithreaded Rendering.
    I switched target to OpenGL ES 3.0, my project ran well on my Nexus7(2013).

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  14. Mikie

Mikie

Just curious. Are you able to publish to a Droid 2 or any phones like it?

15. Jason-King

Jason-King

Has anyone validated whether this is still occurring? Would love to be able to enable MT again. I was never able to get it to occur on my device, but others on my team were - I would like to avoid using them as guinea pigs if others can confirm.

16. Claytonious

Claytonious

It's still happening. Please submit bugs. This appears to be a very low priority feature to fix, but maybe more bug reports would move it along.

17. Jason-King

Jason-King

I was still getting the issue with Unity build 4.3.4. Then I upgraded the Android OS from 4.3 to 4.4.2. At that point, the instance of MTR crashing that I was consistently able to reproduce ceased to be reproducible. Unfortunately requiring Android OS 4.4.2 is not an option.

18. Driskard

Driskard

When multithreaded rendering is enabled our game crashes just after Unity splash screen (logcat: call opengl ES api with no current context) on Samsung Galaxy S3 MINI but works fine on Samsung Galaxy S3. When disabled, it doesn't crash anymore.

19. Bas-Smit

Bas-Smit

Can anyone from Unity shed some light on this? We want to enable mtr for our game, but this and some other threads are scaring us a bit. Im particularly interested in the questions below, but any additional information would be highly appreciated.

Any information on which devices, firmware, or combination thereof suffer from these issues?
    Any information on what triggers these problems and how to work around them?
    Are there fixes in recent or upcoming Unity versions?

20. Agent_007

Agent_007

I would suggest that you wait for Unity 4.5 before doing that.

21. johnnydj

johnnydj

I'm still having graphical artifacts with multithreaded rendering and ngui 3.4.9
    I can't upgrade NGUI to the latest version because my whole UI would go crazy and I would have to resize everything completely.

22. Alexey

Alexey

Unity Technologies

heads up: NGUI bugs with OpenGL ES2 multi-threaded rendering should be fixed in 4.5.2 Patch 3 (to be released soonish).
    Please try it out when it is available

23. johnnydj

johnnydj

in the meantime, I upgraded Unity to 4.5.2f1 and NGUI to 3.6.8 (still crashing)
    will be waiting for the 4.5.2f3 version :D

24. MaydayWorks

MaydayWorks

still crashing on gles 3.0 ready devices with multithread rendering when Froce ES 2.0 checked!

25. MapuHoB

MapuHoB

anything new at this time? Is it better now? Unity 5.0.2

26. Aram-Azhari

Aram-Azhari

I still get this crash on latest Unity 5 (5.2.2f1) with Galaxy S5 and with multithreaded turned on.

27. idurvesh

idurvesh

does ur app work properly without multithreaded on?

28. Aram-Azhari

Aram-Azhari

Yes.

29. idurvesh

idurvesh

mm seems like specific device issue

30. psykojello2

psykojello2

I'm on Unity 5.1.3. With multithreading on, it works on all devices except 2 Galaxy Note 4's with Android 5.0.1 (lollipop).

It doesn't crash, but when trying to load a level asynchronously, my game gets stuck on the loading screen. The game continues in the background but is blocked by the loading screen which did not get the signal to hide.

I'm checking for asyncOperation.IsDone which does not get set to false.
    I also check for onLevelLoaded () to see if the level was succesfully loaded. That doesn't work either.

Again, this works on all other androids and ios devices. Just an issue on Galaxy Note 4 with Android 5.0.1 when multithreaded is on.
    Works fine with multithreaded off (just that the frame rate is slower)

31. MinhDao

MinhDao

I heard that some device crash because enable multithreaded rendering. So, Is it stable to use? Or, It is still a experimental feature?

32. Mehrdad995

Mehrdad995

how much does it differ in term of performance?
    does it worth the risk of enabling or I should keep it disabled?

psykojello2
    are you using NGUI as well or not?

33. zmeinaz

zmeinaz

I am using unity 5.3.1p1 and I see heavy graphical glitches in the UI on Android, especially when scrolling a masked scroll view. I am using unity UI and I only see this issue when building with multi threaded rendering enabled.

From the posts above it seems like the graphics glitching went away in some version of unity.

Is anyone else still experiencing this?

34. psykojello2

psykojello2

No, I'm not using NGUI.

I removed the async code - replaced it with just a simple scene load. It still breaks.

The objects and UI from the first scene do not get unloaded, but the objects from the new scene get loaded and continue playing. Again this is only with Multithreaded on, on only the Galaxy Note 4 running 5.0.1.

Mehrdad995 likes this.
  35. johnpine

johnpine

I hope this thread doesn't die yet. I am too having problems with multithreaded rendering on Android.
    Just updated to 5.3.5p2 and now the Unitys own UI is throwing this error to console when the GUI flickers:
    "[EGL] Failed to create protected window surface: EGL_BAD_ATTRIBUTE: An unrecognized attribute or attribute value was passed in the attribute list."

36. ajon542

ajon542

I am currently using Unity 2017.2.0f2 and getting a segfault with the stacktrace pointing to UnityGfxDeviceW on two devices (that I know of) with multithreaded rendering enabled.
    Devices:
    • Amazon Firephone (SD4930UR)
    • Kindle Fire HDX 3rd Gen

It is occurring with an empty project and scene. I tried disabling the setting through code using the PlayerSettings.MTRendering prior to calling the BuildPipeline.BuildPlayer method, but this did not seem to work. It only worked when I set this value through the editor and saved the project, which is less than ideal because I would like to control this setting during our automated builds.

Right now, I am disabling the setting in the ProjectSettings.asset file (via command line script) prior to kicking off the automated builds for Amazon, which is also less than ideal.

Code (CSharp):
    1. I/DEBUG   (  354): backtrace:
    2. I/DEBUG   (  354):     #00  pc 00022346  /system/lib/libc.so (__memcpy_base+249)
    3. I/DEBUG   (  354):     #01  pc 000698df  /system/vendor/lib/egl/libGLESv2_adreno.so (InitBufferObject+6)
    4. I/DEBUG   (  354):     #02  pc 0005d824  <unknown>
    Is Unity able to detect when a device doesn't support multithreaded rendering? Or is this not a Unity issue?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017