Search Unity

3DForge Exteriors

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by S4G4N, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Teila

Teila

That is just Water4. I played around with the sliders. But thanks!

S4G4N likes this.
  2. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I definitely think Cobus' bridges will look awesome in that one's place, Teila. Now that you mention it, that one does look a bit out of place for farm lands. Maybe if there was a garrison there or a huge village nearby. But knowing that snapshot is around your farming communities, I totally agree! :)

Teila likes this.
  3. S4G4N

S4G4N

@Teila @Shawn67

You would even be able to build really basic and authentic water crossings with the decking that I did.
    I added a bunch of more wear and tear ones and some small plank piles so can create such crossings in even more remote areas

4. Teila

Teila

That is great. I like wear and tear. I tend to add that when it isn't there at the start. :)

S4G4N likes this.
  5. S4G4N

S4G4N

@Teila @Shawn67

Here is a quick screenshot of the worn, broken ones that you asked about and what I was referring to in the last post.
    .using the vertical round poles, you can build whatever you want as in decking or simple water crossings even.
    the normal not broken ones of course included as well, just not shown here

So in essence, again actually aa small kit that can be pulled out and use with other projects :)

Cheers
    Cobus

Whippets and Teila like this.
  6. Teila

Teila

Great for docks too! I love them. :)

S4G4N likes this.
  7. S4G4N

S4G4N

They were as a start done for the wooden walkway solution at the docks, but they very versatile.
    Oh there are stacks of planks an several singles as well and of course selection of stairs pre-setup with coliders in the same rough method.

Can use these sideways as wall for barn type structures if you need to :)

Teila likes this.
  8. Teila

Teila

Hmm, I do need a chicken coop and a house for my pigs. :) Those would be great building blocks for such thing. I can take it into Maya and join them together into a building. I like that! You don't realize how you are cutting down the time I need to do my job. lol Just don't do too much or I will be obsolete or have to learn go code...yikes!

S4G4N likes this.
  9. S4G4N

S4G4N

@Teila Glad that you see more/other potential in the prefabs.
    it is one of the best things, to see what users end up using the package contents for :):):)

10. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hey everyone, just to let you know, you will see some more stuff from me on Monday, I am not working this weekend
    We almost there :):):)

11. smada-luap

smada-luap

Yay :D

BOO :( no more new stuff for the weekend :(

erm... I mean, Yay :D You need a rest. Don't want you burning out :) lol

Yay :D

S4G4N likes this.
  12. Archania

Archania

Ah just get it done already! Lol
    enjoy your weekend.

Olander, BackwoodsGaming and S4G4N like this.
  13. Olander

Olander

Indeed....enjoy your weekend.
    Love 3DForge....eagerly awaiting this. I need Towns already! :)

14. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hey hey,

@Olander welcome to the thread :):):)

Back from the family gathering
    Forging some great stuff,on the PC that I am showing you next

Cheers
    Cobus

15. Whippets

Whippets

Welcome back Cobus :) We missed harassing you all weekend XD

16. S4G4N

S4G4N

ROFL HAHAH @Whippets and all the others,

Missed all you guys as well, don't think if I am gone from the PC that my head stops working, going to show something very cool next together with the balconies, that will add again so much more to the build possibilities for you and all the package owners.

If you like the Assassins Creed or Thief type games, you will love what I am going to show you.

Cheers
    Cobus

Olander and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  17. Whippets

Whippets

Can't wait :)

S4G4N likes this.
  18. Olander

Olander

Thanks Cobus for the welcome. On this...if you have something cool to show I will paint that coolness into the game. :) Actually the timing could not be better on this. July is when our team is trying to make the investor vids. Although we are not using all of the 3DForge assets we are using quite a lot of them (some will not work well with HD 1080p because of poly roundness). The pictures that you have shown here are very very nice. There are a lot of towns your artwork will be responsible for. :)

If you are not opposed I would like to add your icon to a splash screen. :)

In any case. Thank you for the cool :)

S4G4N likes this.
  19. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hey @Olander

I would be honored if you choose to use any 3DForge products in your projects and marketing material.
    If you can email me on info@3dforge, I would gladly supply any logos and such at whatever resolution you might require :)

Thanks
    Cobus

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  20. smada-luap

smada-luap

Has Cobus extended his three day weekend? It's gone awfully quiet in here.... :p @S4G4N :) lol

S4G4N likes this.
  21. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi @smada luap ROFL

Monday was actually a public holiday in South Africa, but I was working from of midday when I was back.
    The reason for the lack of updates is the next show which will happen inside the next few hours is many parts, wanted to get them all in to show them together for they are each cool, but combined juts awesome :)

Be back here with lots of images, just give me a good couple of hours, the .fbx files for this are almost all in, and the prefabs at the same time, then just building the shots and show all of you

22. smada-luap

smada-luap

Sounds great :)

23. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi,

And I am back to show the veranda type prefabs.
    I have build a small cottage here with a short roof and then the same with a longer roof to cover the veranda area.

What must be noted that that this will greatly assist in breaking up the roofs to not just all be the same.
    What is will allow is for large/wide buildings to not have a roof problem, as in not need for a HUGE boring roof.
    You can have terraces with the top roof here even be flat, have a ladder go up to the top most one
    Have flat roof right around and a central higher building section with the basic roof on.

There are many game types like Assassins Creed and Thief to name just two that come to mind, where you can use the loose and sets of plank prefabs that I have also included, building ledges on building sides and placing planks from one veranda to another or to a neighboring roof and enter buildings now from the outside side basement entrance, from the top veranda/roof entrance, front door or window.

By the way, all the ground textures used as we go along comes with v1.0 :):):) x 1024 + normals

Next up, finishing Balconies, Chimneys & Stable type structures

Cheers
    Cobus

24. smada-luap

smada-luap

Love the open gable end in the latter screenshots :)

Whippets and S4G4N like this.
  25. S4G4N

S4G4N

@smada luap
    it adds a lot of new options to get away from just straight up buildings

26. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Something I saw in another pack was clothes lines you could string between buildings, as well as various types of scaffolding :)

27. S4G4N

S4G4N

@AdamGoodrich
    Yip, those are the kind of things going into the Outdoors Props Pack.
    Barrels, Crates, Wagon parts and different wagons, Chopping block, Bees hives, Hay stacks ...
    The list for that I am making and will get all the props that will further enhance the package.

Whippets likes this.
  28. smada-luap

smada-luap

Barn interiors with the rafters exposed :)

S4G4N, BackwoodsGaming and Whippets like this.
  29. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Cool. I just made quite a big scene, and put a couple of villages into it. The biggest issue I had was to make it look lived in... Having a nice range of external props will really make a difference :)

30. Wylaryzel

Wylaryzel

Love what I see :)

It seems that the villagers like to store everything in barrel and crates :) But it enhances the scene really.

Currently I'm building a keep with the interior kit (even if the castle extension will be some way to further wait) and I was remembering some discussion we had with more irregular walls. E.g. arches or where they can be paced diagonal. You mentioned at that time it can be complicated with regards to the exterior kit you plan. Is this still true or are you planing to add sort of those walls too in a future pack?

Especially in bigger type buildings like towers, castles or keeps it still would be a nice addition to break the rectangle look :)

One other question I have is with regards of the placement of the balcony tiles. As far as I know the interior kit is 2,5x2,5units and 3units height. If I create the interior room for the above picture, at which height would I place the roof tile in the interior to avoid z-fighting (something I found out recently when I tried to create a multifloor house). Sorry if this is a bit offtopic, but as it fit that the interior matches the exterior kit its may still a valid question.

And with regards to the side entrance in the lower part of the house - how would you deal with the terrain that you can enter the house there as well - as you mentioned to get directly into the cellar or to an unterground tunnel? As far as I know, you can't really make holes in the terrain or?

Anyway - is your plan to submit v1 by end of the month still valid? If not, its not crucial - quality takes time :)

BR
    Wyl

31. S4G4N

S4G4N

Whippets and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  32. Whippets

Whippets

Are those roof parts split into left and right? so I could theoretically use left then a flat then the right /T\ sort of thing.

S4G4N and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  33. S4G4N

S4G4N

@AdamGoodrich
    I have received a very good chunk of suggestions, will combine them with what I already have and output a very large selection of all the regular and then lots of small items that will enable you to add that nice lived in feeling last touch to any scene.

What will be beneficial, is that this FREE update will be on it's own texture sheet, so it can be output as a smaller pack and used with other projects as well.

I believe in hogging down stuff, rather have it as useful as possible.

@Wylaryzel
    With regards to diagonal and such walls:
    If I think of the top of my head I would guess that what you asking can be done, I just want to get the version 1 .0 of the exteriors out the way, add the v1,9 update for interiors and then while I work my way through the FREE Update road map look at adding those requested geometry, if I can make it work with the existing modular system, I will definitely add it :):):)

The z fighting is easy to solve, build everything as you want it, then when you done, take the floor tiles and move them up 0.01-0.05

AHA, the million $ question, so simple when I show, you, quickly using that scene and will reveal it to ya all.
    Going to laugh when you see how simple, no code, no tricks, just a good old fashioned shovel :):):)

Cheers
    Cobus

34. S4G4N

S4G4N

Back again,

Simple solution
    The reason that the plinth is there and the reason that the plinth is slightly bigger and tapers out, is to give a little bit of room for pressing down the terrain, Easiest is to determine the depth and then use the second function that you can specify the depth and off you go.
    the edges close to the plinth just use a very small brush, pressure/opacity 100

With this method, it is important to raise all terrain by at least 3units, becasue terrain can not be pushed down below
    "0 / zero "

So I started, made the terrain size, took that specify depth brush, put it on 10 and pulled Everything up to 10, that means that I could effectively make 3 subterranean levels

With regards to underground tunnel >>> All those nice plinths that you saw a few pages back, that is where the network will live, in the solid area

Cheers
    Cobus

35. S4G4N

S4G4N

@Whippets
    I did not make them dividable like that for now, but that could possibly be done, let me have a look little down line path :)

Whippets likes this.
  36. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

This would be another great option. Maybe only make certain types of roof like that. Another option would be to have a full roof on one side and only a couple shingles down on the other. This would be good for outbuildings/stables.. Let me know if that doesn't make sense and I'll try to find an example...

37. Whippets

Whippets

Exactly, not only roofs with flats, but also half roofs like lean-tos, porches, and much more complex buildings added to over many generations.

BackwoodsGaming and S4G4N like this.
  38. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Also.. The ability to have a half roof on one side and possibly collapsed on the other side. Of course we would need some collapsed interiors too... *hides from Cobus* :p

S4G4N likes this.
  39. S4G4N

S4G4N

@Whippets @Shawn67 ROFL, can not hide from me ... :)

These are definitely worth while to add, some of it might be in v1.0 already, but they all good ideas to try make possible.

40. Olander

Olander

Fantastic pics. Awesome. *planning out townships and cities now*

S4G4N likes this.
  41. Wylaryzel

Wylaryzel

Thx Cobus for taking the time to provide additional information on how to best use the pieces :)

For sure, I will examine the provided scenes in detail :)

S4G4N likes this.
  42. S4G4N

S4G4N

@Olander @Wylaryzel and everyone else,
    I am glad that you all like what you see, like I said I want to give you the biggest set of tools to have you build your dream game.
    I am sure with all of you building stuff and posting your creations, just more ideas will come up and I can add more prefabs that you feel could benefit everyone.

One person can not think of everything, but with many creative minds one can contribute to something great :):):)

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  43. Wylaryzel

Wylaryzel

Hiho.. may I understand something wrong, but are the sizes of the roofs currently fixed (from a blueprint point of view)? If yes, which dimensions are currently planned? Not that I create houses and can't place a roof on top of them :)

S4G4N likes this.
  44. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi,

You will receive the smaller modular parts to build your own roofs as well, for more experienced users to try out.

The current completed and ready to use sizes that are in at the moment as meshes and prefabs as the slate and the wooden roof-tile textures that you have seen are.
    Each of these are also given in the 5 current level of detail and geometry styles A B C D & E (E being the Viking type)

2 Units wide = 5m wide (20 roofs)
    - 2 units long
    - 3 units long
    - 4 units long
    - 5 units long

3 Units wide = 7,5m wide (20 roofs)
    - 3 units long
    - 4 units long
    - 5 units long
    - 6 units long

4 Units wide = 10m wide (20 roofs)
    - 4 units long
    - 5 units long
    - 6 units long
    - 7 units long

5 Units wide = 12,5m wide (20 roofs)
    - 5 units long
    - 6 units long
    - 7 units long
    - 8 units long

So 20 roofs per width size, per wooden tiles and per slate tiles = 40 roofs per width.

The reason for the addition of the verandas was specifically to assist in creating interesting roofs,
    you don't want the player to run around looking down at HUGE pitched roof only.

There are more coming that I will show when it is in :)

Cheers
    Cobus

Whippets likes this.
  45. smada-luap

smada-luap

I wonder if we should have a friendly competition when this pack is released to see who can come up with the funkiest looking building :)

BackwoodsGaming, Whippets and S4G4N like this.
  46. Wylaryzel

Wylaryzel

Went through all the pics of the thread 'cause I was thinking I saw somewhere a building with an T-form.
    Search through the pics made me smile and isn't very good for waiting - "wanna now" syndrom coming.

Nevertheless, so currently its not possible to have T, L or a rectangle form of a building (the rectangle would be something like a farm were in the middle is an open area - something very comming in upper austria)?

And I think the Green dragon inn would not fit under a roof or? Will check it out when I come home later :)

BR

47. S4G4N

S4G4N

@smada luap

I think that is an excellent idea

@Wylaryzel
    Rectanglar, square, T & L's
    That is what I meant by what is still coming :):):)
    I had to start show one part first and then as it evolve, show and display the next part

You will love how the modulates of the T & L shapes is working ;););)

Cheers
    Cobus

48. Wylaryzel

Wylaryzel

:p:p When you were writing about more is coming I was thinking about other areas (like props, etc) :p:p My fault.

Was thinking if it wouldn't be nice if you could provide a small set of prefabs like you did with the blacksmith package that we don't have to wait for the full v1 to come :D:D Just kidding :D

S4G4N and smada-luap like this.
  49. smada-luap

smada-luap

I like that idea.

Like.... A LOT!!! :D

lol

S4G4N likes this.
  50. S4G4N

S4G4N

@Wylaryzel (no ones fault of any kind, you all excited to get your hands on the items) @smada luap and all the excited others out there.

Not just more props coming but large chunks of important stuff before release, it is just that one thing builds on the other and has a direct influence on the results of the next, so as they get completed, they open the door for the next to be added.

You just keep watching this space :):):)

BackwoodsGaming and Whippets like this.