Search Unity

3DForge Exteriors

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by S4G4N, Apr 6, 2015.

1. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

Well I had a launch discount of 50% which helped sell those 10 copies, haven't made a sale since 2016-02-27. I'm fully aware that the solution is not the most useful one out there, but in the long run I hope that I can get at least a review so that possibly more people dare purchasing it. I would never buy a tool without any reviews myself. I can keep telling myself that's a reason to the poor sales at least :).

I don't regret making it though, it's been a fun experience.

TheSeawolf likes this.
  2. docsavage

docsavage

@ephemeral life. What see through system is that?

3. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

TeagansDad and S4G4N like this.
  4. smada-luap

smada-luap

I'm in a similar boat. I've got a "generic" door script that I'm developing for my own needs. Would I sell it? Maybe, but I'd need to more than likely tidy it up a bit first and make it fool-proof (if I can ever outwit fools, but they're often very ingenious :D lol) and maybe more user-friendly :)

TheSeawolf, S4G4N and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  5. smada-luap

smada-luap

Speaking of developing assets for your own game that you think may be useful to others - I needed a way to put fences together with Cobus' exterior kit that didn't result in me pulling out my hair in frustration, so I ended up coding what would become Simple Fence Builder

I've made a small number of sales, and it's great to have had feedback from those that have used it. (Of course, more sales are better, so I've decided to have a spring sale :) )

screenshot42.jpg
    screenshot39.jpg
    screenshot36.jpg

TheSeawolf, Sabathius, S4G4N and 2 others like this.
  6. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

PhoenixRising1 likes this.
  7. smada-luap

smada-luap

Ooh. Nice looking asset. I don't need it at the moment, but if I develop anything in the future that has a fixed camera then this will most definitely get a look in.

S4G4N and PhoenixRising1 like this.
  8. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

My door opening tool will be more than for just opening doors :). It's hard to get that simple of an asset approved, I'm proof of it ;).

Edit: I was in a rush so I didn't get to explain why. There's already a basic tool to open a door on the store, and apparently the asset store team doesn't want a lot of different tools which does the same thing. But as long as you add some extra functionality I say go for it. I just don't want you to do like me and waste a bunch of time fumbling in the dark as to why the asset was declined over and over due to not being given a reason as to why from the asset store team.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  9. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

Thanks. It works for any 3rd person camera ofc, I just didn't show it in the video. It could be used instead of having the camera zoom in when in very tight spaces.

I should create a forum signature, that's a great advice. Thanks :).

BackwoodsGaming and docsavage like this.
  10. docsavage

docsavage

It looks good. I bought this - https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/24707 in a sale a fair while ago when I actually had some work. It is 3 times the price of your asset but I cannot see any major difference. You may need to sell your products pros and show some shots of it in action. I can see loads of uses for it with the exteriors and interiors kits for when characters walk into buildings.

Don't lose heart though as a number of trickle incomes are better than nothing.

11. Apolyon6k

Apolyon6k

Wow, that is something I might need at some point in my project(s), will bookmark it and might buy it at some point ;)
    (My next pay check goes to RTP, really love the look of it and wanted it for so long.)

Will work on my tool kit this week and see if it might be useful for other people (might get feedback on stream ;P ).

12. Apolyon6k

Apolyon6k

Thanks Cobus,
    this helped me a lot and for the fences thanks as well :)

At some point I want to build octagonal buildings and might need stretched wall pieces for those but that is just something I want to build at some point for a world I have in mind but no project or timeframe attached to it yet.

One more "urgent" need is roof pieces with outer corners, you have those t-sections and x-sections but I have not found outer roof corners yet (but they might be hidden somewhere as well ;P).

Do you plan to add more texture variations to the wall pieces at some point? Would love to have castle wall under plaster... like the wood or stone + plaster walls.

13. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

Added it to my wish list - will pick it up when I start working on the graphics :). Looks great btw.

They work very differently but the results are pretty similar. His solution only makes a part of the objects transparent (I'm guessing he's using a second camera with a mask), while mine changes the alpha value of the entire object. Different uses I think.

I wouldn't mind it if I would have made at least one sell at full price but maybe it'll come one day :). Do you mean that the pics I'm showing are not sufficient? Thanks for the info. I will make sure to take a house pic of my next update which will allow the disabling of a mesh completely too - great for roofs ;).

RTP is a must have imo, much more so than my tool haha :). Please share your tool once it's done, I might need it myself ;).

14. docsavage

docsavage

I didn't realise that they were different. I think the product looks great but maybe the shots don't do it justice. It maybe my eyesight (i really need to get out of welding and fabrication!) but the examples aren't very clear. It may sound daft but the transparency effect doesn't stand out - if that makes sense.

I am no designer but I would say if Cobus is happy with it you could use his exteriors and interiors packs to build a nice little town with villagers etc and have the transparency on people in the village in the houses, behind buildings etc. I think that would really show the effect and uses off. Just my opinion though.

RTP is fantastic. Not really easy but if you put the effort in not too hard. I don't have Distingo but it looks great as well and if @S4G4N rates it it's worth a look. It seems easier to implement just not as feature rich. I think if Nemokrad of Distingo focused on getting top performance for all platforms and Tomaszek of RTP carried on with aiming higher spec visuals then all bases for developers are covered. They don't need to compete. I look at 3dForge, Gaia, Terrain Composer, RTP, Distingo, and they are all amazing products with genuinely top blokes ( and ladies?? Where are all the women devs coming to think of it?) supporting them. It's amazing what these people are producing and supporting. They show most of the big companies up. I list TC and Gaia etc together as I can't stand all this fan boy arguing stuff. My experience as a customer and having dealt with both is that Adam is a top bloke and so is Nathaniel. It's all smart and the prices they are charging it's not unreasonable to own the lot (well it used to be when I had work coming in:)).

BackwoodsGaming and S4G4N like this.
  15. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

I will allow the use ontrigger to allow npcs to trigger the effect too, thanks for the idea. Will make sure to use some houses to show that ability off. Great ideas man, I appreciate it :).

Haha, fanboys of tools? Do those even exist? :)
    RTP is more versatile and I treasure that a lot, but distingo looks like an amazing tool too. Most tools are definitely worth their asking price, and the support has been great by all tool creators I've dealt with.

16. docsavage

docsavage

No problem. It would be good to see Cobus packs in use as well. Apart from
    @smada luap great shots of the adventure he is working on I haven't seen enough use of them.

When I finish my current game I have an idea that will make use of village exteriors and a couple more assets. Looking forward to contributing to the thread in a way that shows off this pack

17. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hey everyone,

Simple Fence Builder will be an excellent addition to your need to have installed packages that will free up time to do other tasks that has not yet been simplified like this.

Distingo, I can def recommend. I am an artist and it is sooo easy set up and as you adjust the sliders see live results
    I love it :):)

Thanks for the compliments on the 3DForge assets. It is nice to see user feedback of happiness, and very encouraging to keep pushing and give back more and more to the community :):):)

Looking forward to seeing your creations, next screenshots of more completed prefabs coming tomorrow
    Everyone will love them ;)

Cheers
    Cobus

18. docsavage

docsavage

More complicated prefabs? Sounds interesting.

I have seen simple fence builder and it looks good.

I have distingo in my wishlist. It's looks like a nice easy to use framework.

Loads of good tools out now. I like tools and variety. At work I use makita, bosch professional and hitachi. Same types of tools subtle differences Here I use Terrain Composer, Gaia, RTP etc etc etc. Same types of tools with some differences. It's all part of the fun!

19. S4G4N

S4G4N

HAHA, nope post said "completed" :):):) , fun ones :)

20. docsavage

docsavage

:)Was late enough here when I read it. Completed sounds just as good as complicated.

S4G4N likes this.
  21. montyfi

montyfi

Pity to hear that, I'm one of those ten then and your tool looks pretty cool, maybe you need to update your banner pictures to be brighter and use some PBR buildings for that?

TeagansDad, S4G4N and PhoenixRising1 like this.
  22. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

Thanks for supporting me :). I will do that for the next upate.

montyfi and S4G4N like this.
  23. Arganth

Arganth

oh I think i buy that one too XD
    can it be easily used for kind of an "wall-hack" effect too?

S4G4N and PhoenixRising1 like this.
  24. Apolyon6k

Apolyon6k

How do you guys build small staircases with interior or exterior kits?
    I have not found a way to build a compact or even spiral staircase with the assets yet, all staircases so far were at least 3*3 or 4*4 which would be kinda big when building a tower or a staircase for a multifloored building.

S4G4N likes this.
  25. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

If you want to see the enemy through a wall it's better to go with:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/24707

my tool does not support that I'm afraid.

Can't you just scale it?

S4G4N likes this.
  26. smada-luap

smada-luap

Scale the assets down?

Although that would then put them all out of proportion with the rest of the kit :)

S4G4N likes this.
  27. nosyrbllewe

nosyrbllewe

Why another set? It will just clutter the prefab folder more; you already need a GPS to find your way through as it is now ;). I think it would be better to just update the current set. I don't think the extremely minor performance benefit from a few less faces is worth keeping another set of fences. Adding another set would make it harder to find the one with faces on the bottom as they would look nearly identical in the project view.

S4G4N likes this.
  28. S4G4N

S4G4N

I will then edit that set rather, if the parts gets exported and they slightly off from what they are now, they will just have to be adjusted if need be.
    It is just to try prevent them moving if someone already have them in their project :):):)

But I will follow your request of not adding more, well, another ;)

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  29. S4G4N

S4G4N

I can have a look at making smaller pre-made ones when the Interiors Kit is visited again
    Lets see what the current Exteriors Kit update brings with the Castles and Cathedrals

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  30. smada-luap

smada-luap

How to create a slightly claustrophobic feeling with the sewer kit - divide the room up with metal walls :D hehe

These crystals must also have a purpose, otherwise why would I bother putting them on the floor?
    Before anyone asks - no, I'm not going to tell you :p lol

screen_1920x1080_2016-03-15_19-52-57.jpg

31. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Hey gang! My stamp packs for Gaia are finally live on the asset store!!! If you want some awesome village area stamps or volcano/mountain stamps, go check them out. Each volume is $5 and contains at least 10 stamps. Either tonight or tomorrow I will be submitting the Desert Area pack (another $5 volume) and a FREE sampler pack that contains the first stamp from pack volumes 1-4. Yup.. I said through 4. The April pack will be island stamps and stamp one from that pack is already in the sampler pack for you to try out. :)

My publisher page on the asset store ishttps://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/search/page=1/sortby=popularity/query=publisher:15645

Thanks Adam for your support and presenting me with the opportunity to build these packs! :) And thanks to Cobus for his encouragement and suggestion for me to post here. :)

I can't wait to see the screenies everyone posts! And don't forget to submit support tickets athttp://backwoodsgaming.com with your invoice numbers so I can reward you with purchase points for your purchases. Purchases here on the unity asset store are worth 2 points per dollar while purchases at my web store are worth 3 points per dollar. Points build up towards discounts/free pack offers in the future. :) I'll eventually have an app on the website that auto-registers the invoice and awards the points, but for now I'll be doing it manually. So don't panic when you submit a ticket and your points aren't instantly there! :)

Thanks in advance for all of your guys (and gals) support! :)

32. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

Kia ora

@Cobus,.. Are you familiar with MoonGlade in WOW and or the ESO Elven style of buildings at all?

I don't know how else to describe what I'm thinking off.
    NO I DON'T want cartoons stuff I just wondered how an Elven set with a similar style would go down
    I have an Elven set https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/1821, while these are nice they have no interiors
    and it would be nice to have a set with interiors that work

Was jus food for thought

S4G4N likes this.
  33. Sabathius

Sabathius

Action: Added to wish list.
    Reason: No-brainer.

34. Apolyon6k

Apolyon6k

Looking forward to it and will switch to other parts of development (like coding ;P) for the time.
    Thanks again for your awesome work and the awesome updates :)

S4G4N likes this.
  35. S4G4N

S4G4N

WHOOHOO !!!

SHOWING some ALL NEW prefabs in v1.2.2 FREE UPDATE

Canopies & Animal cages

Canopies:
    4 different colours - red, blue, black, green
    6 different designs - wooden and metal frames
    3 different lengths - short , medium, long

Cages several sizes and shapes, for live stock like chickens, rabbits, doves, crows and all such manner of trade goods
    Some nice harbor type usage and village shopfront usage examples to just show off.

Now to complete Castles & Cathedrals parts that will complete the v1.2.2 FREE UPDATE :):):)

Cheers
    Cobus

36. Revelation_Jeff

Revelation_Jeff

Looking great Cobus!! =) Keep it up!

37. Whippets

Whippets

Excellent work Cobus XD - really good stuff!

S4G4N and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  38. kittik

kittik

Love the update, the canopies look amazing!

S4G4N and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  39. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

Really amazing stuff Cobus, lovely texture work and the models are good too :)

S4G4N likes this.
  40. S4G4N

S4G4N

Thanks everyone,
    I am very happy with the way they turned out myself ;)

Take the House/Shopfront example and take it one step further.
    Create like a nice central square/courtyard area that has a Giant Tree / Statue / Fountain in the middel.
    Surround it with some houses/shops that all have these lovely canopies facing towards the central feature.
    Can be a very vibrant marketplace with all kinds of goods being sold :):):)

What is the best is that they so simple,easy to just add where you want, then from the Toolbox grab and place some uprights if you feel the longer ones need them and there you have it.

When the actual Market place update coming later, there will be LOTS more tent types and so added as well

Cheers
    Cobus

TeagansDad, kittik, Apolyon6k and 2 others like this.
  41. Apolyon6k

Apolyon6k

Awesome work :)

Might help me with my "empty" town square ;)
    townsquare.jpg

Needs a lot more work on the ground textures and grass placement... More screens soon

S4G4N and smada-luap like this.
  42. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Nice! Now only if Cobus had the message boards done too! *runs and hides*

S4G4N likes this.
  43. S4G4N

S4G4N

Your lighting and scenes looking nice man

Will most certainly help to fill out that spot ;)
    Looking forward to see what people do when I do the next AS update

44. S4G4N

S4G4N

that is not going to help, I know where all your hiding spots are :D

Whippets and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  45. Whippets

Whippets

standing and wall placed noticeboards in varying sizes and postboxes - awesome XD

46. smada-luap

smada-luap

With a royal seal on them for the postal service? Painted red by any chance, and cylindrical in shape? :)

47. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hey there
    On the roadmap "8. Notice/Message board & signs" :):):)

Whippets likes this.
  48. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Yeah, yeah, yeah.... but are they done yet? :p

S4G4N and Whippets like this.
  49. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

Cobus, can we talk castles for a bit please?

What types of castle prefabs are you creating? Will there be both round a square prefabs for turrets, towers and keeps?

Are you taking any suggestions on textures and colours as well?

Finally, with the castle style, are you implementing both ornate fantasy and functional stronghold styles?

S4G4N likes this.
  50. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hey there,

I am looking at how/what to do with rounded for you would want the interiors contents to match and work inside a rounded design and the Interiors does not have any solution for rounded rooms.
    SO I will see if rounded does end up inside this update.

Textures and colour:
    Same as interiors for you would want them to match and not be completely different
    I am making the outside though a slight tone of brown in, not just the plain grey of the inside
    I am adding lots of prefabs that will be both the castle type and cathedral type, so users will even be able like buttresses and such items borrow and add to the castles

PS*** The roadmap was updated a few days ago to reflect what has been completed and what is being worked on :)

Cheers
    Cobus