Search Unity

3DForge Exteriors

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by S4G4N, Apr 6, 2015.

1. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Its sort of interesting seeing the range of comments in here. Taking a step back a little I think its awesome that Cobus has such an engaged and enthusiastic audience. He sets the value for money bar very high, asks for and gets feedback, and then puts in significant time delivering on his promises. I really enjoy seeing what he comes up with next :)

BackwoodsGaming and S4G4N like this.
  2. S4G4N

S4G4N

@Xoduz That is one of the things I love to do, give options :):)

In that case as with many other prefabs I want you to be able to place several tables and maybe do not even have to use the same one twice with your scene ending up with variety.

If a package had only one table in "like many packs has" each table you walk past in the game is exactly the same as the previous one and that would just be very boring to me :)

Cheers
    Cobus

montyfi and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  3. S4G4N

S4G4N

@Shawn67
    Thanks for that observation, I added three of these, since it is a along post hehehe

The package has already been released and can be bought HERE

Cheers
    Cobus

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  4. Teila

Teila

My point, Tommy, is that we find it easy to ask for stuff, but hard to say Thank You when something so cool and difficult to make is put out in front of us for free.

Of course everyone appreciates it, but sometimes, the artist/developer needs to hear it. This was one of those times when Cobus deserved to hear from us.

Sad that when I ask folks to say thank you, something more devious and sinister is read into it. LOL Just remember, these are regular folks like us, with families, problems, lives, etc. Good to remember that sometimes.

5. smada-luap

smada-luap

I'm currently working on some code (mostly for my own use at the moment) to try and take some of the tedium out of creating fences, and I like what Cobus has put into the Exterior's kit.

I'm posting some screenshots of the results, purely to show how the various fence parts can work together. :D

screenshot4.jpg

screenshot6.jpg

screenshot7.jpg

screenshot8.jpg

screenshot9.jpg

6. EDarkness

EDarkness

Whoa. Where did people get the idea that someone was unhappy or complaining? I simply thought the shorter roofs would be there and they weren't. However, what IS there is pretty awesome and I in no way am upset about that.

I just felt that if it was going to take some time to get the low roofs in, then I could do it myself since the hardest part of that whole process (the low angled roof walls) were already done. I'll remove some work from Cobus if I can since there are enough pieces to make lots of little things if we're creative enough with what we have already. Just looking at saving myself (and Cobus) some time.

Anyway, gonna bow out of this stuff since the last thing I want is to cause trouble.

7. S4G4N

S4G4N

@smada luap It is great to see the new woven fences
    I wanted to provide then with low tri-count so that you can add many without impact on performance and still have them look great.
    With the 18 different ones you can make nice variety.

Building fences is always fun but time-consuming so this looks like such a cool solution for this.
    It now looks like lots of fun :):):)

Well done, looking forward to more shots on this

Cheers
    Cobus

8. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Thought I would post these in some shameless cross promotion :)

Here are some early shots from a demo I am putting together for Gaia, my soon to be released terrain creation system, and I am showing off some of the sample 3D Forge Exteriors houses that Cobus provided.

Looking forward to showing off more of Cobus work in my scenes :)

9. S4G4N

S4G4N

@AdamGoodrich
    Adam that really looks good :)

If I can explain as Adam mentioned, I have given him a small selection of single mesh houses to include in the Gaia release so that users have some nice authentic Medieval houses included.

Another item to mention, I have included an open Forge building, open as in the door item is missing.
    Users will be able to go grab the FREE Blacksmith's Forge package that also received the HD treatment that the Village Interiors Kit did, and snap that pre-built Forge interior right in there.
    The door is included with the Forge Interiors contents so that you can close it for the evil monsters a night :D

So cool chance to play around with great extra assets

Cheers
    Cobus

10. Acissathar

Acissathar

Here is my first screenshot to share. Everything shown is from the Interiors or Exteriors package, and while I still need to tweak some things (and put more things in the house), I'm pretty pleased with everything. Cobus has included so much stuff, that I could spend weeks thinking of new configurations.

kittik, AdamGoodrich, Olander and 3 others like this.
  11. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Acissathar:
    This looks pretty awesome. Are you using additional shaders? The door looks so nice...
    The walls are from the interior kid I suppose and the roof from exterior kid?

Pretty amazing screenshot!

12. S4G4N

S4G4N

@RonnyDance You are correct, but this door could very likely be from the Village Interiors Kit as well.
    I set them up with the same Unity 5 shaders :)

The roof is one of the roofs and texture types that comes with the Village Exteriors Kit

@Acissathar the screenshot shows a nice rustic environment

Cheers
    Cobus

Acissathar likes this.
  13. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi everyone,
    Just needed to get some of the missing sleep in :) but as promised, going to start post some pics of the prefabs that comes with this update
    I added three groups of buildings, this one I named "Countryside"
    I will still do nice demo scenes but want to also display them without lots of distraction from the prefabs themselves as well so that you can see them well.

Trees are from Forst on the Asset Store, they just add some atmosphere and cool shadows that is always great to explain shape especially on the roofs with the layered geometry.

Cheers
    Cobus

Olander, BackwoodsGaming and Archania like this.
  14. Archania

Archania

Cobus.
    THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
    Now get to work on the rest of the stuff :)

S4G4N likes this.
  15. S4G4N

S4G4N

@Archania LOL,
    I have already, just doing some Demo scenes right now to show more of what is in this first one
    Glad that you like what you see :):):)

16. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi everyone,

Here is the second of three sets of images of the prefabs that cam with the Thatch Update
    Forest Village
    These broken edges wooden tiles is my personal favorite :):):)
    Those sections of the walls that protrude out is using the outer half walls.
    That is walkable from the inside when you use the Interiors Kit half-walls that was added with the HD Update

What should be realized now, is the completely different looks of villages that can be done, filling your game world so that you could in that way make location unique and special even though you using the same contents package

You could have different races, different cultures, different religions groups, whatever you game design is in one game world and you can still use one package to do that with.

Cheers
    Cobus

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  17. Acissathar

Acissathar

Thank you! Currently I am just using Unity 5's Standard shader. The walls are the same ones as the ones on the exterior, just rotated 180 degrees and tweaked a bit on the X / Z axes. The roof pieces (both inside and out) are also in the exterior kit.

The furnishings and little kitchen stove are from the interior though.

@S4G4N Unfortunately for the towns people, it won't be the happy "calm rustic cabin." There will be monsters afoot :)

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  18. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi,

Here is the 3rd set that came with the Thatch Update
    Mountain Side using some stone & wood combos and giving a very nice cabin look & feel

Used some plinths here to allow placing them on very steep terrain as well

Cheers
    Cobus

19. smada-luap

smada-luap

Experimenting with my fence building code, I decided to have a look at another of the fence prefabs that is in the Exteriors Kit :D

screenshot13.jpg

The code procedurally placed these and made rough approximations as to where they should be to follow the contour of the terrain. A quick manual update afterwards to fix a few oddities and it was done. :) The code's taken me the better part of a couple of evening's to get to where it is, but it has let me create this in a couple of minutes (and each fence piece isn't set in a straight line but have random rotation offsets against each other) whereas to place them all manually would take me around 15 minutes.

20. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi,

Just been playing around.
    Michael O's Free Boulders in the background.

Some HQ flowers from other assets on the AS
    And the lovely new fences that came with the FREE Update

Cheers
    Cobus

21. Deleted User

Deleted User

Was just cruising around the town I'm building and stopped here and had to take a screenshot to share. Using 3D Forge assets and Time of day asset. image.jpg

Edit: by the way. I went through and changed all the materials back to using the diffused bumped shader. I think it looks better in the gamma color space in my game. For whatever reason the standard unity 5 shader makes everything look to shinny. Ever turning it down just doesn't look right to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2015
  22. S4G4N

S4G4N

@TommyT Very nice, like the wall panels with eh crossing wood on it, need to use that more myself.
    they very authentic as medieval in games and movies o very fitting.
    Bought Time of Day myself, and some cam tool for effect, so still have to dig in myself

Thanks for sharing:):);)

23. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi everyone,

Please head over to the first post, and you will see I have fleshed out the FREE Props Update with lots more detail.
    There are still many items that might make there way into it, but ones that are part of later updates on the roadmap will not be done with this one becasue many of these FREE Updates will be pulled out as separate packages for sale and I want those items that are of the same theme to be atlassed together.

If there are more items that you might want to see, then please post here, email or PM me

As you can see, the FREE Updates substantial and many of them will be added a complete packages themselves. When enough of these have been added and the package grown enough, the price might go up without notice for the FULL Village Exteriors Kit.

The users that own already own the package, as with the Village Interiors Kit, have many stated in their reviews that the package was so large even at v1.0 release that seeing what they have gotten they would have been more then happy to have paid more.

Don't miss out:):):)

Cheers
    Cobus

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  24. Deleted User

Deleted User

Been playing a lot of witcher 3 lately another nice prop would be some stretched animal hides on poles.

S4G4N likes this.
  25. S4G4N

S4G4N

@TommyT that is aa good one yes and will fit right in

26. Deleted User

Deleted User

By the way. I found some really nice little hidden gems in the update. In the farm section there are new stables. Chicken coops and troughs. Was so thrilled. Thanks again Cobus you rock!!

27. S4G4N

S4G4N

@TommyT
    They area a pleasure, what you will see there are a nice selection of different ones if different states of repair as well
    Also water troughs there

The stables are build using the Decks parts, so those are easy to make different shape one, just duplicate the required parts and you can keep growing them :);)

Enjoy.

Cheers
    Cobus

Acissathar likes this.
  28. JBacal

JBacal

Statues, gargoyles and fountains please.

S4G4N likes this.
  29. Teila

Teila

Here are few simple houses we will be using in our game for small medieval villages. The houses will get bigger as the villages grow. I think they look beautiful in my world. :)

30. S4G4N

S4G4N

@JBacal Some good suggestions there

@Teila Very nice

What I am very happy about is that even from far away, the thatch looks like thatch.
    Those cool layers really helps to define it by shape from far away and it does not just become a beige shape, but still has that definition and level of detail from a color as well as a silhouette point of view and that is very important.
    I checked the Photobucket account just now.
    Really like the 4th screenshot, what is very good to recognize is that a scene can look very real and also interesting even though is has very few major prefabs in it.
    Most of the time people think you have to put every possible prefab into a scene to draw attention. This just shows, that a extremely spare populated scene can be really good looking

Since the other images goes through to your Photobucket account and this pic is there already public I assume you would not mind me posting the HD version of that pic here.
    Ii is my favorite pic :)

Cheers
    Cobus

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  31. Teila

Teila

LOL

A bit of a surprise to see that picture here. I posted it in Gaia's forum so didn't post it here. But thank you and it is fine, since you did say it was my picture....and because it is you! :)

I love how your houses blend so nicely with my environment. They seem to belong there.

There will be more props but yeah, I like the focus on the houses and the terrain. This scene was built for the houses, to show them off to my followers.

S4G4N likes this.
  32. Deleted User

Deleted User

@Teila what are you using to blur the horizon? Scion ??

S4G4N likes this.
  33. Teila

Teila

Nope, I have Time of Day in with it's scattering, the anti-aliasing one that Adam uses, Sonic Ether's Natural bloom, and an AO one..same one Adam uses. Sorry, can't recall the names and having my lunch in my lap..must eat before cat's discovers it. lol

I believe it is the ToD scattering that is creating the blur at the horizon. For these pictures, I just stuck everything in and didn't adjust them too much, just a wee bit for the scattering.

Scion is on my list but do not have it yet.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    S4G4N likes this.
  34. Teila

Teila

Had to edit the above, had bloom instead of blur. lol @TommyT so he notices the change.

S4G4N likes this.
  35. Deleted User

Deleted User

@Teila thanks for the info. I also have time of day. I'll have to play with the settings more but I think you have pointed me in the right direction. Your game looks incredible. I recognize the Mixamo character there. I've been trying that and Daz3d. Although I don't have the decimator yet.

S4G4N and Teila like this.
  36. Teila

Teila

@TommyT, I don't have a character in my picture above. We are using UMA's, modified of course but I haven't put any in this current rendition of the game yet. Waiting for my programmer to finish doing whatever code stuff he is doing with them first.

The picture with the Mixamo guy is Smadas', not mine. Maybe you wanted to know what image effects he used?

If your compliment was meant for my stuff, thank you so much! It is always nice to hear. :)

S4G4N likes this.
  37. Deleted User

Deleted User

@Teila yrah I guess I was confused. I thought you were both using that character. But yes the compliment was for your scene. Love the Gaia can't wait to buy it when it comes out. It's the perfect compliment to the 3d forge exteriors.

S4G4N, AdamGoodrich and Teila like this.
  38. smada-luap

smada-luap

If I remember, I think I'm using fog, Time of Day's light scattering, depth of field and some AA

39. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi everyone,

Just a sneak peak at what I am working on right now.
    Showing the use of Village Interiors Kit & Village Exteriors Kit together enabling you to get a seamless transition between interiors and exteriors.

I am releasing a small FREE sample package of the Village Exteriors Kit

It will include the exteriors of a small Forge Scene with
    - Forge building
    - Small cottage
    - Stables
    - Fences
    - Terrain Textures
    *** All props you see there are already included in the FREE Blacksmith's Forge

You can grab the Blacksmith's Forge package so long if you do not have it yet.
    Add this soon to arrive new Village Exteriors Kit FREE sample pack and grab the scene file from BLUEPRINTS the moment I announce that it is available, and you would then have the handcrafted scene to use as is or as example.

*** Please note, it is not dont yet, I just wanted to show off :):):)

Cheers
    Cobus

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
    kittik, smada-luap, Olander and 4 others like this.
  40. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi,

All still FREE stuff that will be included

Cheers
    Cobus

Olander, BackwoodsGaming and kittik like this.
  41. virror

virror

Yeah, this is cool!
    I will buy your pack for sure, just have not progressed far enough yet, but this small free package is exactly what i need to make a small working prototype to show of the game im making : )

S4G4N likes this.
  42. S4G4N

S4G4N

@virror Glad that you like what you see.
    It is going to be an excellent example to toy with and with so much more in the FULL package that you will not need to buy another Medieval style building package.

There are great Road map items as well to look forward to with all of them FREE
    DO not wait till too long, when more updates have been added the price might go up

PLEASE NOTE !!!
    Trees, Horses & Skybox shown here are 3rd party and not included in the package

More coming shortly :)

Cheers
    Cobus

43. Teila

Teila

Great pictures!!!

S4G4N likes this.
  44. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. Your assets look great. I think I have found what I need for my game. I have been playing a bit with the HD blacksmith assets and it works great.

I have a couple of questions.
    1. Do you plan to make a HD version of the Exterior package also? Like the Interior you have?
    2. Any plans to make some burned/destroyed version of some of the building assets? I need to be able to make a ruin/burned down version of some outdoor buildings.

Lennart

S4G4N likes this.
  45. smada-luap

smada-luap

The Exterior packs are already HD. It was because of this that @S4G4N went back in and did a HD update on the Interior kit :)

S4G4N and Teila like this.
  46. virror

virror

Been stalking this thread from the beginning, guess i have to buy it soon then : p

S4G4N likes this.
  47. S4G4N

S4G4N

@LennartJohansen

I am glad you like what you see and they you think it will fit your game project.

I have put together a very robust easy to use modular system that just works out the box
    I have added 100 free buildings already to the BLUEPRINTS section of www.3dforge.co.za
    MANY more will follow

1. This Village Exteriors Kit was done at 2 times the texture resolution that the Village Interiors Kit was released with.
    Upon the release of the Village Exteriors Kit I immediately proceeded to double up the texture resolution,
    add Normal and AO maps to all Interiors Kit texture sheets.;)
    The Interiors & Exteriors are now the same texture resolution and the perfect companion as well as standalone packages
    2. If you have a look at the FREE Update road map you will see that this is already part of it :):):)

Cheers
    Cobus

48. S4G4N

S4G4N

Even with release v1.0 all users were very happy with the contents.
    The first FREE Update added 450 new prefabs, more then what many packages has in total.
    So you can not go wrong :)

Please do not forget to rate and review any 3DForge packages that you do buy

Thanks for the support;):)

Cheers
    Cobus

49. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi,

Another update

*** As stated before, the trees, flowers, horse & sky-box is not included, they are 3rd party assets purely for showcasing a cool medieval natural environment.

Last two slots the roof was hidden hidden to show interiors.

Cheers
    Cobus

50. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Hi Cobus your screenshots look amazing! Specially seeing exteriors with interiors!
    Little question regarding your update strategy:
    If you have the "Full kit" meaning Interior Full Kit or Exterior Full Kit when will you stop adding "FREE" big updates to it.
    For example if you release a Castle Exterior or Graveyard Exterior - which by the way I am dreaming of ;) - will they be 100% standalone and be bought seperatly? "Will be full kit, also to be sold standalone" means they will be not included in any of the current Full Kit packages? Or does it mean they will be added to the full kit and the price will increase then?

Sorry for the question because you are updating so much and having a so big road map that for me it's hard to understand what you will add to the current sold Full Kits if you own them already.
    I am fine with any of the way you go because as you and everybody mentioned before: The content is great for the price.
    I just want to know if I own the Exterior Full Kit I will receive the castle / cathedral exterior update if it comes out or if I need to buy it seperatly. Perhaps as a "Upgrade" or something like this - like UBER costing 25$ if you own RTP Shaders.

P.S: Ah and a little request for the Interiors Kit:
    Your Kitchen food looks always so fresh. Flea-bitten / scruffy food like the cheese, sausages, fish etc would be great. Simply not so tasty looking food :)

Thanks a lot
    Ronny

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
    S4G4N likes this.