Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

3DForge Exteriors

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by S4G4N, Apr 6, 2015.

1. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hey Everyone :):):)

Added lots of coolness today

Modular Plinth system:
    Very easy to use plinth part in both the Stone texture sets.
    The would be essential when adding buildings to uneven terrain.
    You would basically add the plinth with maybe a cool outside basement entrance
    Inside this plinth you can add your basement parts that could also be entered via internal staircase if you have the space
    or just construct if with the outside being the only entrance.
    Not in one of the future FREE updates "Underground Tunnel system interconnecting buildings"
    These basements would come into play where you can have a door or secret opening in the basement that would lead to tunnels
    to other village structures, be it houses, harbor sewer exit ...

You will get all the small modular parts plus a handy selection of completed drag & drop plinths to speed up the construction.

Basement entrance:
    Also provided in the two stone texture sets, easy and completed modular parts.
    I am pre-loading them with the basement doors already in place, and can be manipulated/rotated with code along the y-axis,

Stone Staircases:
    Basic straight staircases has now been added, from basic to more detailed normal map versions with a touch of Celtic stone carvings.

Next:
    - Elbow Stone staircases
    - Wooden Staircases
    - Many Styles of railings (Modular)
    Metal
    Lots of different wooden
    - Fences (Modular)
    Metal
    Wooden
    Stone
    - Balconies
    - Unique building entrances

And lots more ...

Cheers
    Cobus

BackwoodsGaming and Whippets like this.
  2. Whippets

Whippets

You've been looking at those resource images I posted XD
    Plinths is exactly what was needed. not only that, but those plinths make great retaining walls for street that change levels too.

BTW, those cellar doors will work fine with my clickable/lockable Door-Mechanisms scripts

BackwoodsGaming and S4G4N like this.
  3. S4G4N

S4G4N

@Whippets :):)

Yeah they the start for that solution as well as the Underground Tunnel System

It really adds lots of cool game/story options to game builders.

The Interiors will snap straight into the plinth structure, and then the terrain can be raised around the house to give a semi or full sunken end result.

Even if you whole terrain is flat, you can add the Basement entrance "part" only and do the same, by adding basement Interiors Kit modules.

Cheers
    Cobus

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  4. smada-luap

smada-luap

Lots of nice additions here :)

S4G4N likes this.
  5. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi,

I had a user just now request a selection of Steam Punk type prefabs.

I am adding this to the requested items for the road map

Cheers
    Cobus

6. Whippets

Whippets

2nd storey large shutter doors, for mills, barns, and other buildings that require rope-hoist access for goods.

Quarter round wall corner sections that take up a 2x2 grid footprint (and roof sections to suit)

Small ground-level arches in wall sections for use as drains or to let light into cellars

Worn doorsteps

7. S4G4N

S4G4N

@Whippets

Kind of like access to the attic from outside ?

I was thinking of the plinth sections to later get small high windows in them ?

Cheers
    Cobus

8. Whippets

Whippets

S4G4N and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  9. Whippets

Whippets

10. Teila

Teila

Odd question, but is it possible to build the exterior with fewer windows? I mean could I have no windows in the gables if I wanted to do so and only a shutter or two on the first floor? Is each section of wall separate so we build it in pieces or are the entire walls already built?

S4G4N likes this.
  11. S4G4N

S4G4N

@Teila
    Absolutely possible and the whole idea behind the this kit, YOU decide what wall segment texture you want where, if it has a window or now and what size.
    And it is important, because many Medieval building had few, small dark windows in them.

It is completely like "LEGO", to place what you want, where you want :)

I will render a screen shot and add with the next post inside the next hour to show just a few of these small tiles.
    It will make a lot more sense then and I will explain some more then :)

Cheers
    Cobus

12. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I know authors hate to put time frames on stuff because inevitably something happens and deadlines are missed. But can you give us a rough estimate on when you hope to put the initial version of this up? Are we talking a couple of weeks or more like a couple of months still?

And to play along with Teila's question while thinking about variety, will there also be options of broken shutters and shutters hanging on a single hinge (the other hinge being broken maybe)? Same question with doors..

13. S4G4N

S4G4N

And I am back,

Here is another batch of screenshots to show some of the goodness added today.

- Tilable floor textures x 1024 + normals
    3 x wood , 3 x stone
    - Here are just 3 of more than 10 fence, railing styles that will ship with base release
    - Different wooden styles, Metal metal styles & low wall combo's will all be there.
    - The fist screenshot with Slate roof texture.
    - Also a more basic, non Viking roof style.
    - Plinth bigger than building footprint to add walkway around front & Side
    - Arched wall-units will also be done, could be placed on edge of plinth, with roof going up to meet building walls.

@Teila

The last screen shot shows you the same windowed wall piece (yip, green windows also ship with base install)
    You can also see each of the 6 wall texture sets that it is being released with
    - 2 x plaster, old & new
    - 2 x Stone texture sets
    - 2 x Wooden texture sets (1 x vertical the 1 x horizontal)

I will also add 2x - 3x - 4x - 5x - 6x wall strips that given as single meshes to that it can speedup the building process
    I will also provide complete wrap-arounds, so for argument sake you have a house that is 3 x 5, you can grab an Old Plaster textured strip that is the walls for a whole floor.

I will keep in mind your request for less windowed version of this. It will be easy to make these ones custom becasue at the end you going to have the fbx files for the smaller wall - parts, so users can even grab those, add them together in a 3rd party 3D package and save them out as there own custom single mesh prefabs
    (just keep material name the same, so that when you pull it back into Unity it reads and looks at the correct material by default).

@Shawn67

I will add some broken versions of the requested items in your post, that is easy to add and will be a pleasure :)

You are hitting the nail on the head with regards to completion and the question as to when.
    I am stating you to the planned and what I would like, not what I can guarantee, for there is unforeseen things, there is adding as much of what was requested for the base release.
    There is also the vetting process once submitted that is out of my control, I will of course communicate once it was submitted and track what is happening to let everyone know once it is available..

My personal aim is to still have it in your hands before month end, I am doing between 15 - 20 hour days only on this 7 days a week, so I am giving it everything.
    These projects are almost like releasing a child, it is many months of mental planning, physical work, lack of sleep.
    With all the work that has already and still going to go into it I want to place my best foot forward and not disappoint and keep growing the high quality name 3DForge has come to be known for but the users that have purchase the packages.
    I am going to aim to pull 5 STAR ratings and happy customer reviews, as with the other packages I want users to get way more/better than what they thought they have paid for, I want you to feel you got a bargain.

After release I will do a quick Update to the Interiors kit, to add some small compatibility wall parts with rounded doors
    and some other items as I have committed to and then onto the FREE UPDATES left over on the road map

Be back tomorrow for more eye candy

Cheers
    Cobus

14. Whippets

Whippets

15. S4G4N

S4G4N

@Whippets

With the stone plinths and other wooden contents I think you will easily be able to achieve this with the Base release even.

I have the normal rounded wooden items still to be done before release, lots of unknown eyecandy to still come :)

16. Teila

Teila

Thanks. That is probably what I will do..make them custom using the fbx files. I really just want window holes with bars for my peasant houses, no glass, and small windows. The large glass ones are much later historically, when they had real fireplaces and also more merchant class rather than peasants. I already have my windows made so I would guess it might be as easy as just modifying a few wall fbx files and adding my own windows. Still saves me a lot of time. I will probably replace textures as I am using desktop as well, but if can pump out a bunch of houses with different configurations without spending loads of time modeling, that would be nice. I like the texturing part better anyway. :)

S4G4N likes this.
  17. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

lol @Whippets !! I was talking with Cobus about a canal type system. Sent him message before his post with last pictures.. I think the plinth system will work perfectly to build a city on water with canals.

To add to the wish list Cobus, in addition to the fencing options that you show in the pictures on the plinths could we get some mooring posts for people to tie off boats on canals?

S4G4N likes this.
  18. S4G4N

S4G4N

@Shawn67 I love the idea,
    I will come show such entrances and soon soon, think it will be a great addition

19. Teila

Teila

That was my first thought when I saw the plinth system. Of course, there might be an easier way to do that with fewer polys than a bunch of individual walls. :)

S4G4N likes this.
  20. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I was originally suggesting the canal system in a private message in case Cobus didn't want to do it as part of this kit. Then he posted the new pictures with the plinth system samples. He responded that he thought that might be good for a canal system. For the sake of keeping everything together for him, here is a copy of what I had sent in the PM regarding entrances:

I think the Plinth's will work awesome for the canals. One thing that would be nice to be added for the purpose of canal would be big bar gates for tunnels. Kind of like how the old sewers would empty into the canals. Maybe a single sewer panel could be added that contains a square grate comprised of vertical bars? And maybe another with a broken grate hanging on a hinge and one with a couple of missing bars. Oh.. And broken bars and broken grates that could be placed on ground near a panel where the grate has missing bars or sewer entrance where the grate fell away..

So panels:
    - plinth panel with square sewer grate - grate comprised of steel frame with vertical iron bars
    - square sewer entrance with grate hardware (hinges, lock holder) but missing the actual grate - broken away
    - square sewer entrance with grate haning on a hinge - big enough entry that a character could squeeze through
    - square sewer entrance with grate - missing bars broken away - maybe a couple remaining bars bent enough for player to squeeze through
    - same as last except too small for player to be able to squeeze through

Pieces:
    - broken away grate for placement on ground near plinth panel or lean against panel on ground by entrance
    - broken bars from grate for ground placement

S4G4N likes this.
  21. S4G4N

S4G4N

The polycount on the walls and most is WAY lower that what I think they are, I as always achieve lots with texture and with the Exteriors the normal maps adds so much

22. Teila

Teila

Oh, I realize that. :) But a base for a city could be much less than individual walls if done right. Of course, if one needs access to the tiled texture that may not help them if all they have are atlases. For me, that isn't an issue but some some it might be.

S4G4N likes this.
  23. S4G4N

S4G4N

The contents of the Village Interiors Kit will be of course what is used to block out and build the tunnels under the city

24. S4G4N

S4G4N

What I can do is do some larger terraces and output them as single meshes the only limitation is that there config is as I make them, and there are endless possibilities of what you want to custom make yourself, but lets see where that goes :)

25. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi everyone.

23 Railing/ Fence styles with the following for each
    - 1m sections
    - 2,5m sections
    - broken section
    - gate section (rotation on y-axis)

Houses in the background just for scale purpose

The many styles will assist with the ability to build unique areas more easily since all the

Cheers
    Cobus

Whippets and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  26. Whippets

Whippets

More brilliance :)

S4G4N likes this.
  27. smada-luap

smada-luap

If you've already mentioned this, then I apologise, but have you any plans for bridges? Of varying sizes and styles (ie. stone vs wooden)? :)

S4G4N and Whippets like this.
  28. S4G4N

S4G4N

@smada luap

Can not recall asked yet, so here we go
    Hey, unless you use a spell or can jump very far, it is the only way to get across those nice done canals and small rivers.
    So the answer is an absolute yes, will have smaller and larger predone and parts that are modular to do custom ones as with most of the contents :)

Whippets likes this.
  29. smada-luap

smada-luap

Seeing these latest batch of images have made an idea come together in my mind for what my game's going to be like. Now I just need to get some basic prefabs put together as placeholders for the houses and other buildings I'm (hopefully :D) going to create with this, and see if I can get to grips with Unity's terrain system to build some landscapes (most likely islands :)) for the player to run around.

S4G4N likes this.
  30. S4G4N

S4G4N

GREAT !!!

That is one of the cool things about seeing the development cycle and work before release.
    I get to get valuable user feedback, you get to help shape what you are going to use
    and along the way we both through ideas around and get lots of inspiration, it is such a great cycle.

I think I will do it with all future projects.

31. Whippets

Whippets

Yes, it's been a blast. Being able to throw ideas for content around, and have most of them enter the final product, has not only given us inspiration, but also ensured that the pack content is exactly what we need. Bit of a win/win :)

32. b4c5p4c3

b4c5p4c3

I think it's time for this.

BackwoodsGaming, S4G4N and Whippets like this.
  33. Whippets

Whippets

Always time for that

S4G4N likes this.
  34. S4G4N

S4G4N

@b4c5p4c3

ROFL HAHA, was waiting for this :)
    Thanks for the support and confidence, I will not disappoint :)

35. Whippets

Whippets

S4G4N likes this.
  36. S4G4N

S4G4N

@Whippets I was pondering, thatch and the red tiles for future as well, then with other wood textures and such

37. Whippets

Whippets

cool :) both thatch and red tiles really add a sense of identity to a region.

S4G4N likes this.
  38. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

For me, thatch is a must. Thought that was already in the plans... :/

Red tiles would be a nice addition. Not sure I would use them in the villages I have pictured at the moment, but they'd be a nice option down the road. :)

S4G4N and Teila like this.
  39. Whippets

Whippets

Missed not having any pix of yesterday's wonderfulness XD

40. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hey @Whippets

hehe, will have some more, just exporting all the railings and such and cleaning up some folders.

It takes me more time now, but am like all my packages presetting up stuff like coliders and so, I do it once, then ALL the users that buy it can just have fun.

3DForge proud itself in have 0 Clean-up requirement packages and I will always do that.
    HAHA, especially getting such HUGE volumes of assets, you don't want to have to do that.

If the package just had 50-100 prefabs in then not that big a deal, but with me, you not just getting 50-100 assets, that would be juts one directory :)

Whippets likes this.
  41. Whippets

Whippets

are we due some more pix yet, or are you still cleaning up and exporting fencing? #anotherlongandtedioustask

42. S4G4N

S4G4N

Oh @Whippets

The fences are done earlier today, 23 types, busy completing nice wooden walls, like not so neatly arranged plank ones like in the Unity Technology recent Viking package :)
    Nice little modular set to make them in any configuration.

I think I will have some other items also to show before I go to bed tonight and then there is #madewithunity Friday that I will have lots to show, some items like the sewer entrance at the docks / harbor , modular balconies, and many more to be completed this weekend.

PS !!

OH, and I test played the wizard girl too in the scene to test gate open sizes and other items.
    It looks like a actual game scene already, I will most certainly have cool shots of that up too
    It is all good and well to see prefabs, but with a character in the scene, everything just changes to see the scale in place :)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    Whippets, BackwoodsGaming and Teila like this.
  43. Whippets

Whippets

That is so cool :) If you can think of more scripts I could add, let me know. As soon as Exteriors is released, I'll post the whole scripts package here for everyone to play with.

44. S4G4N

S4G4N

@Whippets

You aa star man, you going to make many users very happy :) me included :)

Whippets and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  45. smada-luap

smada-luap

@Whippets - what sort of scripts have you been working on? I've given Cobus a couple of mine which should allow for some useful functionality (at least I hope so :))

46. S4G4N

S4G4N

@Whippets @smada luap

You go ahead and tell everyone :)
    They not overlapping at all but will be helpful to everyone

47. Whippets

Whippets

Mainly just a selection of scripts for people to take apart and reuse; especially anyone who doesn't know much code. It's a little library of ideas, to make a world feel more alive :)

There's scripts for opening/closing doors/gates/shutters via buttons, pressure pads, time of day, by clicking, with or without locks. Also scripts for lighting including candle/neon light flickering, slow-on/slow-off, time delayed - all controlled by buttons, time of day, ambient light level, etc. Finally there's a set of rotation scripts, to allow moving parts to rotate in any plane, controllable by lever, switch, etc.

S4G4N and Teila like this.
  48. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Been looking at this thread and drooling - cant wait for this to be available :)

S4G4N likes this.
  49. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi @AdamGoodrich

Welcome :), it is great to see another excited person join the thread.
    Please do put forward suggestions and critique , I want at the end of the day, put forward the best I can and b that place a useful fun product into your and so many others hands to be used standalone or with the very popular Village Interiors Kit.

Cheers
    Cobus

50. smada-luap

smada-luap

I've done a couple of scripts that are used to show/hide parts of the buildings as you enter from outside to in ad well as transitioning between floors

S4G4N, Teila and Whippets like this.