Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

3DForge Exteriors

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by S4G4N, Apr 6, 2015.

1. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

lol! Let me know when you get this feature added, Cobus! lol!

S4G4N likes this.
  2. EDarkness

EDarkness

I understand where you're coming from, but you just have to be a bit creative about what you're doing. I had the same problem, but decided to use my own solution, though, I'll admit that I don't care that much about pillars, but even that can be fixed by simply making a plane, putting a "floor" texture on it and calling it a day.

and

demonstrate a way to do what you want without needing the caps that Cobus put in recently. I didn't like the black parts on top of the wall or the black walls on the outside so I did something about it. Don't get me wrong, the new caps are fairly nice, but pretty much unnecessary. Even wooden caps could be done by taking one of the wooden beams and turning it on it's side. It fits quite nicely between walls, so you can cap off those black sections without any trouble.

Example:

It may take a bit of creativity to get it working, but I feel like all the pieces you need to do what you want are there.

Olander, b4c5p4c3, S4G4N and 2 others like this.
  3. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

EDarkness and S4G4N like this.
  4. smada-luap

smada-luap

Can someone lend me the gps? :)

S4G4N likes this.
  5. b4c5p4c3

b4c5p4c3

Maybe i was too quick in my response, i was able to find the pillars caps.

But i'm still confused about the rest. Take for example "The Crypt - TopDown" Demo Scene, how i can put caps in the walls (thin walls fi_vil_cath_wall_01, fi_vil_cath_wall_02) and niches (fi_vil_combs_niche2_03_bars_broken)

WOW, right now i feel very dumb for not thinking in that solution. I can even cut the part of the wall texture that i need and apply it to the plane. :D:D:D:D:D:D

6. S4G4N

S4G4N

@b4c5p4c3

The thin walls I would still use the wall caps that was added with the Update
    The niches >> the half floors that I gave with the last update would work well but I think adding a "cap" to such wide walls (1,25 wide) might visually imply that a player could/might be able to walk there, s I think those areas better left black ?

Please rather ask then getting stuck, I might or other users might have coo ideas an suggestions :):):)
    I see many a time where assets are used in ways I never even thought about;)

Cheers
    Cobus

EDarkness likes this.
  7. b4c5p4c3

b4c5p4c3

The thin walls with double width caps doesn't look good at all and when you combine those thin walls with other normal walls in front with double caps on top it looks just awful in an isometric perspective.

Also about the niches don't you think a black thing on top of walls could imply a hole? In my opinion a game with black holes is a big no no.

I think i'm going to use @EDarkness solution for now.

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Feeling left out here gotta throw out a screen grab. :)Playing around with streets, building orientation and beautiful sunrise.

image.jpg

AdamGoodrich, Olander, S4G4N and 2 others like this.
  9. kittik

kittik

Since we're showing off our work, I'll show off the Village Interiors/Catacombs/Cathedral/Cave Adventure I am working on at the moment. Note that I haven't worked on the lighting or camera effects much or the interface whatsoever. See my library -

10. S4G4N

S4G4N

@kittik that is looking great, very interesting spot there where I can see cave prefabs as well :)

What is so nice is the versatility.
    It looks like some old archives or library type scene :)

Now this is what I like most, seeing users use parts in ways I did not intend
    I am referring to those nice arches that became a giant fireplace/inferno

kittik likes this.
  11. kittik

kittik

What I love about your assets is that they are suitable for basically any Tolkien-esk fantasy game (and there are so many). The caves are crucial to what I am producing, as is everything else in all honesty. I have added an image of the fireplace in my library since you like it so much :)

The lighting and smoke come from the forge and the flames from the Cave Adventure pack.

I'll have to add more light sources to the fireplace.

12. S4G4N

S4G4N

@kittik nice, using the steps and the metal bars as a barrier to the furnace GREAT !!!

13. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

I would really like to see an Example scene that shows off all of the trap doors and secret entrances. Maybe with some super basic open/close script or trigger volume open/close script. I really would like some ideas on how to use all of those.

S4G4N likes this.
  14. S4G4N

S4G4N

@99thmonkey I will do such scenes and show those off.

I can not code at all, so I will see if with the scripts provided by other users if I can set that up, otherwise I am sure some of the other users might already have scenes and scripts that manage that
    I am busy exporting items from the first FREE Update for the Village Exteriors Kit package :):):)

Cheers
    Cobus

15. smada-luap

smada-luap

@S4G4N - send me the scene file when you've done it and I could probably figure something out for you :)

S4G4N likes this.
  16. S4G4N

S4G4N

@99thmonkey @smada luap
    The secret doors I named as such for the walls that they fit into has no door frame and the door mesh has the same texture on so that it can when shut not be seen.

My thoughts when doing them was that if like traditional D&D the player does a successful check when searching the surrounding area and they find it, then the door is a normal click to open door, nothing funny.
    If the player want it to slide away, it could move slightly back or forward and then slide sideways, or simply move it up or preferably down.
    The slight forward or backward is to counter possible Z-fighting if you wanted to move it sideways

Please note I have provided actual secret doors with black texture on the back and some normal texture even on the backside if you wanted to swivel/rotate the door and the player gets to see that backside.

Trapdoor is a simple hatch in the floor, then when click on it the scene of the below scene can load with either a provided rope can hang from the ceiling or maybe one of the many ladders

So at the end, I have given lots of prefabs that gives the player the freedom to do what they fancy :):):)

I will when done with current block of work do an axample scene that I can show them as well.

Cheers
    Cobus

Archania likes this.
  17. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Here's what I consider a basic script. This just rotates the Child object around whatever coordinate you want (X, Y, Z)

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. // HOW TO USE:
    5. // Create and Empty game object
    6. // Add this script on it
    7. // Add a Box collider and set the Is Trigger to On
    8. // Make sure the box collider is larger than your door
    9. // Make your door prefab a child.  Make sure it's the first child
    10. // Select which Layers you want to trigger this door
    12. namespace red
    13. {
    14.     public class DoorScript : MonoBehaviour {
    15.         public float rotationAmountX=0f;
    16.         public float rotationAmountY=85.0f;
    17.         public float rotationAmountZ=0f;
    18.         public bool objectOpened=false;
    19.         public LayerMask playerLayer;
    20.         GameObject doorObject;
    22.         void Start()
    23.         {
    24.             doorObject=this.transform.GetChild(0).gameObject;
    25.         }
    27.         void OnTriggerEnter (Collider col)
    28.         {
    29.             if((playerLayer.value & 1 << col.gameObject.layer)==0)
    30.                 return;
    31.             ManageObject();
    32.         }
    33.         void OnTriggerExit(Collider col)
    34.         {
    35.             if((playerLayer.value & 1 << col.gameObject.layer)==0)
    36.                 return;
    37.             ManageObject();
    38.         }
    41.         void ManageObject ()
    42.         {
    43.             if(objectOpened==false)
    44.             {
    45.                 doorObject.transform.Rotate(rotationAmountX,rotationAmountY,rotationAmountZ,Space.Self);
    46.                 objectOpened=true;
    47.             }
    48.             else
    49.             {
    50.                 doorObject.transform.Rotate(-rotationAmountX,-rotationAmountY,-rotationAmountZ,Space.Self);
    51.                 objectOpened=false;
    52.             }
    54.         }
    55.     }
    56. }

S4G4N likes this.
  18. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi everyone,

While adding some of the meshes and prefabs for the first FREE Update on the roadmap, just thought I should post a picture of some of the walls that was added with the HD update for the Village Interiors Kit that might have been missed to be mentioned but for the correct spot, they are extremely useful.

Outside corners for each of the 14 wall types, each a single mesh prefab.

Soon first screenies of some of the great contents in the upcoming first FREE Update for the Exteriors Kit.

Cheers
    Cobus

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
    Whippets, Archania and kittik like this.
  19. Whippets

Whippets

Any chance of rounded outer and inner corners for interiors and exteriors?

S4G4N likes this.
  20. S4G4N

S4G4N

@Whippets I will most certainly dig into that and see how possible.
    The actual walls there is nor problem with, it is walls meeting roofs and how they intersect.
    But I will def spend a bit of time to see how/if I can find an elegant solution for that :);)

Cheers
    Cobus

Whippets likes this.
  21. Whippets

Whippets

Hmm, yes, I see... It would take rounded roof sections to make a complete rounded set. Didn't think all the way up lol XD

22. S4G4N

S4G4N

@Whippets

Let me see what I can do, I would love for that to work well :):):)

Cheers
    Cobus

Teila and Whippets like this.
  23. EDarkness

EDarkness

More rounded stuff is definitely needed!

S4G4N likes this.
  24. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi everyone,

As mentioned when I started with the FREE Updates work please check the very first post where I keep track of the progress.

What takes time is the fact that EVERYTHING has to be modular and as far as I can help walkable from the inside.
    It is easy and quick to just add stuff that looks cool from the outside but does not work from an interiors point of view.

I will add a directory /Snap-ons that will have a large selection of just cool, medieval looking stuff that snaps on as decor fro the outside

Cheers
    Cobus

Whippets and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  25. Deleted User

Deleted User

Question is anyone here using horizon on asset and time of day asset with the 3d forge exteriors ? I have time of day but was wondering how it all looked together.

S4G4N likes this.
  26. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Horizon[On] shouldn't have anything to do with your environment assets within your scene. I think it is just set to render distance stuff. I looked at it but had issues getting it set up the way I wanted it to work with Sectr. But it really shouldn't effect how your 3DForge models look.

27. S4G4N

S4G4N

@Shawn67

I think @TommyT is looking for aa solution that manages tying together terrain and the horizon
    So if anyone can jump in and give some suggestions, I have never used such tools myself
    Maybe @AdamGoodrich could chip in here as well :):):)

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  28. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hey there,

Had a very valid question from a user :)
    If you take a look at the update road map progress on the first thread

The items that have already been done and a few more small ones are all in direct response to the contents that was given with the last Village Interiors Kit HD Update
    People asked why it took so long, well I needed to do all the re-texturing and then added all the 1/4 & 1/2 floors as well as half walls to the package to already have them available when the first Exteriors Kit update lands

In short it is "To make all the new COOL Interiors Stuff work with all the new COOL Exteriors" and be walkable internally

Should have lots of screenshots soon and then hit the submit button.

Cheers
    Cobus

Whippets likes this.
  29. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hi Tommy, I have used Time Of Day and it looks great, but haven't used Horizon specifically.

What I have done to manage horizons is either fade off with water and fog, or surround by mountains. The mountains approach can make you feel like your living in a fish bowl, and the way I approached this was to create intermediary features that broke up the sight lines. It was amazing how this make what felt like a cramped space into one that felt expansive.

Here are some samples of the different approaches:

Time of day & Suimono - water based horizons

3dForge Exteriors, Suimono & Tenkoku - again open horizons to provide a sense of space.

Use of terrain features to break up fishbowl effect.

That same terrain...

And inland on same terrain - you would never know you were surrounded by mountains.

30. smada-luap

smada-luap

I'm going to do something similar - have the islands the player visits have other mountainous islands (and some more so high :) ) to break up the horizon but I'll "cheat" in game and ensure that if the player tries to hold their breath and try and reach these islands then their character will run out of air before they got there (insert evil smiley here :D)

S4G4N and AdamGoodrich like this.
  31. Deleted User

Deleted User

@AdamGoodrich thanks. I knew about the fishbowl idea. My biggest problem is getting decent looking terrain. I have terrain composer and it's really complicated and only seems to be well suited for huge areas. Painting it by hand is really difficult.

32. sanuvin

sanuvin

I would love to have a large land mass that simulates wrapping around, which I assume would be rather difficult to program.

33. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

I have been working on a tool called Gaia for some time now. It will be released to the asset store within the next month hopefully - you might like some of what it can do - it is simpler to use. Link is in my signature.

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  34. Olander

Olander

I have Horizon[ON] and it works very well. However, it is not really needed and I will state why.

I have been playing with performance and it seems 25,000 x 25,000 Unity has some troubles....even 50,000m2 is possible in testing but for performance I am sticking to 10,000m2 or less for landscape areas. This places a 500m border around the edges for the fog/trees/rocks/landscape to do what needs to be done.....like @AdamGoodrich stated....break up the visuals.

For Landscapes here is what I use.
    - Lighting :: Time of Day....the lighting and speed is simply crazy good.
    - Weather :: Olander's Realistic Weather (with private mods)
    - L3DT :: For Heightmaps specifically (skip any splats tex)...inexpensive and very good
    - Erosion Brush :: For handpainting on the Landscape Heightmaps....very quickly with amazing results
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/27389
    - TerrainComposer :: For Base Texturing and placing Vegetation after placing large rocks (Yes TC takes watching the vids and lots of practice but well worth it. I have not found anything else that will do what it does.). TC will not place vegetation on textures of your choosing....nor elevations of your choosing. It also has an excellent randomizer for proper placements to look natural.
    - Wave Creator :: for most of my waters. Some will say Suimono and that is fine (it is really nice) but Wave Creator works amazingly well and has never had any issues. It is also very fast and looks good enough. Ships and floaty things also work really well.
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/10900

Cheers
    O

S4G4N likes this.
  35. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Hi Tommy... If you are having trouble figuring out terrain composer, watch for @AdamGoodrich's terrain tool, Gaia.. I have been helping with his beta test and it is unreal how easy terrain is. I struggled with TC, too. Definitely a great product, but I had a problem learning how to do things and then spend a couple months doing other things and then going back to terrains again and I'd have to relearn it all over again. My memory retention just isn't what it used to be. Gaia isn't like that at all!

And sorry for the earlier response. I wasn't understanding your question and though you were looking for Horizon[On] with regards to your houses and not your scene in general. I'm still looking for my best option there too. Like I said, I tried Horzon[On] and I think it will work great for some folks. I just couldn't get it to work the way I wanted it to for my specific situation. :)

S4G4N likes this.
  36. Deleted User

Deleted User

@AdamGoodrich thanks. I actually got the link from 3dfroge and I'm really excited and will buy it right away. I see apt of great stuff on your forum. I'd like to use it to make some smaller landscapes and have a horizon so it's not visible that the world ends. Hopefully with your tool I wouldn't need the horizon on.

S4G4N likes this.
  37. Olander

Olander

@AdamGoodrich @Shawn67 I have only 1 10k zone that is being done right now so I would be very interested in Gaia as well (I would remake the zone if necessary). TC is very good but it is not the easiest thing to get wrapped around. I am like you @Shawn67 I have to keep going back to it because of all the intricacies....made a PDF but even then it cannot cover all the stuff.

One more comment on Horizon[ON]....it will greatly help in scenarios where there are large landscapes to view. Examples being Deserts or large Plains. Places where getting rid of the obvious flat edges is near impossible. It is a great tool and is highly recommended.

AdamGoodrich and S4G4N like this.
  38. smada-luap

smada-luap

@Olander - Adam's asked us not to give away any of the method he's come up with to put it all together, but once he is ready to submit to the Asset Store, I'm pretty sure he'll be showing everyone just how easy it is to put everything through Gaia and create some of the terrains that Adam and a few of us beta testers have been putting out here. :)

39. Teila

Teila

@Olander, you will LOVE Gaia. :) As much as you love all those details, it will be the perfect tool for you to use. I cannot wait to see what you come up with. I am sure it will be as awesome as all the other things you do for your game. I absolutely love what it has done for my scenes.

BackwoodsGaming and AdamGoodrich like this.
  40. Olander

Olander

*rubs hands eagerly* I have a back up scene with only the terrain data so all good here. Only a few of heavy weeks into it with one large city. *shrugs* I am going to take a leap and go with you folks and give Gaia a go. If I have to hand paint the first zone....so be it. :)

December is when I am having an Alpha Play Party and you are all invited. More info to come.

I can completely understand about not giving away any methods. I remember offering up the Doors, Housing, and Furniture for free right here. It is turning out so well that I may sell three systems (Doors, Housing, Furniture) on the Asset Store to help with sorely needed game funding. Not sure yet. With these systems I also just do not want to give the 'secrets' away because there is nothing like them.....indeed the same with Gaia. We Devs really do need excellent tools to make this arduous task of making our dreams just a bit easier. ;)

Looking forward to it. Thank You All.

Cheers
    O

41. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Just a quick comment to echo agreement with both @smada luap and @Teila... Look forward to seeing what you add out there, if you do.. Especially if it works well with the exterior/interior kits..

S4G4N and AdamGoodrich like this.
  42. Teila

Teila

@Olander
    Oh, I meant I can't wait to see what you make with Gaia to show us! You have been very generous. No need to give away your secrets. :)

S4G4N likes this.
  43. Olander

Olander

Hi All. Since we are on the topic....I figured I would post my L3DT to Unity 5 Workflow. It show you how to makes the most out of L3DT to make very high quality Heightmaps to make Unity Terrain crazy easy! Mix in a great Erosion and Texturing tool....a couple mentioned above....and you have a MAJOR time saver.

Cheers and Thanks to the dysfunctional family. LOL!!
    O

Attached Files:

S4G4N, Teila and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  44. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi everyone,

Here are some more shots using Village Exteriors Kit Assets together with Gaia in development by @AdamGoodrich

What needs to be understood here is that everything, textures, plants, grass rocks and buildings all was placed procedurally and takes mere minutes

Cheers
    Cobus

45. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Thanks Cobus - also interesting to note that this was a 2km x 2km terrain. Anyone who has ever done this by hand knows exactly how much work that is!

Cobus work really shines here!

S4G4N likes this.
  46. Deleted User

Deleted User

Wow. I want this asset Adam. I hope it's very easy to use. Are the tree and other assets standard unity ones in these screenshots ? Or are they purchased speed tree assets ?

S4G4N likes this.
  47. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Adam uses a lot of different speed trees in his shots, both purchased and the ones included by Unity.. And I think a lot of the grasses he uses are the ones from the HQ Photographic Textures Grass packs by turboscalpeur.

S4G4N likes this.
  48. Teila

Teila

Tommy, they are Speedtrees and the ones I see are purchased ones. :)

S4G4N likes this.
  49. Deleted User

Deleted User

What is performance like with all these HQ assets ? I have found the defiant speed tree trees to be pretty spendy performance wise.

S4G4N likes this.
  50. Olander

Olander

Speedtree is very cool. They can be incredibly high poly or good enough for higher end mobile. It depends which package you start with. The LoD and shaders work straight out of the box and work really well. For example I was really struggling with Forst's Advanced Foliage Shaders and his trees.....the vertex bending as well. The system is nice but really rough to work with and difficult to customize. Speedtrees are a completely different matter.

A tough swallow to simply discard the purchased 3D Art...but whatever. Really happy. Soon to be paired up with Gaia. ;)

S4G4N likes this.