Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

3DForge Exteriors

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by S4G4N, Apr 6, 2015.

1. S4G4N

S4G4N

@TommyT @smada luap
    Yeah lighting I think is in any engine, one of the biggest performance killers.
    With Unity 5 lighting, it is way easier as well.

Cheers
    Cobus

2. S4G4N

S4G4N

I am proud to announce that the Village Interiors Kit v5.0.0 Submission is Live

This includes the:
    2 x Resolution Textures
    Normal Maps
    Ambient Occlusion maps

Cheers
    Cobus

Xoduz likes this.
  3. docsavage

docsavage

Just importing it as I write. Really looking forward to this.

Thanks for the continued improvments Cobus.

S4G4N likes this.
  4. S4G4N

S4G4N

@docsavage
    My biggest pleasure. I know I am going to place smiles on everyone's faces.
    Each person will have to play and adjust the materials how they see fit, I can surely not know what each person like and do not like, but they all there, so enjoy.

This is the first time that I have submitted with two versions, but have had confirmation from one user already that he did get the v5,0,0 when he downloaded the update, so I trust that all will go well :):):)

Come show pics of all your projects 3DForegers ;)

5. kittik

kittik

I have just updated my Village Interior Kit and maybe I am missing the obvious, but I cannot seem to find the large death masks in images on sarcophaguses and walls. Could someone please enlighten me?

S4G4N likes this.
  6. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi,

In all the urgency to get it out I forgot to add it.
    I will add it inside the next few hours and have the link hee.
    It will be a unitypackage with the two meshes and prefabs.

The textures for it is included.

It you check, you will see I included a sheet for the heads with the arcane ruins on and off, normals and AO maps the same.

Thanks for reminding me :):):)

How does everything else looks, you happy with the HD and the other maps ?

kittik likes this.
  7. kittik

kittik

Ah thanks for the info. I'm anxious to get my hands on those death masks, they look really nice.

I am very happy with the HD textures, I'm slowly updating my project now. :)

S4G4N likes this.
  8. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi everyone,

I have also updated the FREE Blacksmith's Forge Package to all the HD goodness with the Normal maps & Ambient Occlusion maps

So, if you want to check it out, gab it now https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/17785
    or if you already have it, go the Asset Store and hit Update

Cheers
    Cobus

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  9. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Looks AWESOME Cobus!

S4G4N likes this.
  10. S4G4N

S4G4N

@Shawn67 Here even the FREE stuff it Top shelf :):):)

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  11. S4G4N

S4G4N

@kittik
    As promised, here are your Death-mask items

Only the mesh and prefabs are in the package.
    They will read of the package textures and materials data that is in your install locally

Cheers
    Cobus

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

That is both really awesome and very evil looking. Great work!!!

S4G4N likes this.
  13. kittik

kittik

Thanks for that, added them in. They look really good, perfect for the atmosphere I want to achieve. :) Love the work assets and textures Cobus!

S4G4N likes this.
  14. smada-luap

smada-luap

Just updated the interiors kit with the new HD update and replaced the interior walls on one of my test houses :)

screenshot1.jpg

15. Deleted User

Deleted User

image.jpg New shot from my game with the new interiors

16. Archania

Archania

Looking really good Tommy!

S4G4N likes this.
  17. Teila

Teila

I recognize a Dexsoft peasant! I remember using her years ago with T3d. Very nice scene!

S4G4N likes this.
  18. S4G4N

S4G4N

@TommyT Very nice
    I see some Loot Kit prefabs in there as well :):)

I am busy generating the WEB DEMOS for the Interiors Kit to replace them using the new HD data.

Will post links here and on the actual product page as well.

Cheers
    Cobus

19. EDarkness

EDarkness

Here are a couple of screens with the new textures:

I think the textures work out quite nicely. I'll probably revert paper and books back to the old textures since they're so small no one will really be able to see them clearly anyway. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with them.

BackwoodsGaming, S4G4N and Olander like this.
  20. S4G4N

S4G4N

@EDarkness

I am glad that you are happy with the HD textures that you have received.
    Everyone is happy so all the hard work was worth it.

I think you are right, for Top Down and also becasue your player is so far from the objects, the most economical would most probably be to use some of the original textures.

What is cool that if for some reason you do cut scenes or other marketing materials for the game at a later stage you will already have matching high resolution data at your fingertips, ad not worry to not have the cam come in to close.
    So instead of wanting to hide "low" quality art, you now can showcase it

Basically by using these HD textures, you can do closer up shots and the player of the game will in his mind have the perception that "everything" is actually that resolution, meanwhile for the further away parts you would be using lower file size material.

Cheers
    Cobus

EDarkness likes this.
  21. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi everyone,

I am in the next day or so, just replacing the online LIVE Web Demos to show the HD textures.
    I will also have one NEW demo scene that will have both Interiors & exteriors, now at the same resolution YAY !!!!

Then what everyone has been waiting for THE FREE Update RoadMap !!!!

PS, I posted the RoadMap here to just notify about it, but will maintain and update it on the first page so that it is easier to find and not buried somewhere through the many pages of cool screenshots, feedback and discussions.

PLEASE NOTE:
    Any user that bought the Village Interiors Kit saw how it grew and more then doubled from v1.0 to version 1.9 and will still even get more.
    These updates were not trivial. They were fleshed out, proper standalone package sized contents updates that added HUGE value to your purchase.

There are several line items on the Road-Map that have been marked as such to illustrate this value upfront. *(will be a full kit, also to be sold standalone)
    I will see when, but at a certain point the Village Exteriors Kit price will increase to be more in line with the added value. All the users that own it already say that it is way under-priced even as v1.0, so please do not hesitate to get this sooner rather than later.

Planned FREE Updates ROADMAP:
    1.Thatch Roof texture
    2.Outdoors Props Pack
    *(will be a full kit, also to be sold standalone)
    - Hanging drapes / flags
    3.Unique buildings *(will be a full kit, also to be sold standalone)
    - Forge
    - Windmills
    - Waterwheel
    - Sawmill / Lumberyard
    - Old Lighthouse
    4.Outdoor Market Place Kit *(will be a full kit, also to be sold standalone)
    5.Notice/Message board & signs
    6.Town Cemetery
    7.Harbor Kit
    8.Burned/damaged structures/prefabs
    9.Underground Tunnel system interconnecting buildings
    10.Decals
    11.Pillars pack + Arch parts
    12.Wooden and Stone City Walls Kit
    13.Castles & Cathedrals Exteriors Kit
    14.Trees, bushes, shrubs, flowers & grasses

Looking forward to this with all of you :);)

Cheers
    Cobus

22. smada-luap

smada-luap

You mean you've not done them yet? :p

S4G4N likes this.
  23. Deleted User

Deleted User

@Teila yup. I have the male and female model. I like them but the mouths can't be animated. Kind of a bummer the models are nice but I'm having trouble finding good medieval townsfolk that can be animated to speak. The asset store is full of models that don't do that. Any suggestions ?

@Cobus. Yeah that was my fist pack I bought. Been a good 3D Forge customer ever since. :)

S4G4N likes this.
  24. Teila

Teila

No, I don't know of any other than UMA and those are rather complicated. I am a storyteller so voices in a game really are limiting to me as a developer. I don't want the same words over and over. I want a deep experience so much prefer text dialogue....so therefore, haven't looked for characters with moving mouths. I do like expressions though.

S4G4N likes this.
  25. Olander

Olander

@TommyT DAZ and Mixamo Fuse characters come loaded with Blendshapes. I can confirm they both work really well and are very cost effective. I shall enlighten below.
    **sorry for being a little off topic here but having characters work with 3DForge Interiors and Exteriors is important.

DAZ Genesis 1 offers up excellent quality and can be used in games. Licensing is much more straight forward than the old days ~$2k US but that only has to happen when you start selling your game. DAZ has a huge number of options when it comes to modifying heads and bodies as well as fitting clothing to the models. This portion needs becoming a PC+ member and checking sales weekly and even daily....otherwise it can be expensive. DAZ also has a higher learning curve to optimize characters for game engines (requires DAZ Decimator or MayaLT Decimation).....trust me it takes a lot of practice to get a nice workflow. This is by far the best character software for making characters (lots of different characters!!). Did I mention it requires some seat time? :)

Mixamo Fuse....very easy to use....very much game ready characters....very well optimized right out of Fuse. The quality is quite high with a large array of options/sliders. Quality is 2nd to DAZ Genesis but they look great in Unity. There are a couple issues with Fuse characters.....they must be Autorigged with the Blendshapes feature turned on through Mixamo. Each character will be fully rigged and working as a Humanoid in Unity. Females or Thinner character models will need to be manually fixed in MayaLT/Max to make shoulder and skinning adjustments not correctly applied in the Mixamo Autorigger (no Shoulder setting points available yet). Most autorigs work well enough. The Fuse workflow is incredibly simple/short. Clothing options are very much lacking in Fuse.....DAZ clothing CAN be used with Fuse. Getting Custom Clothing into Fuse is 'sort' of easy but takes practice. You can Import a Fuse Model into DAZ then shape a DAZ Genesis model (best to have the DAZ Supersuit with this process) to look just like the Fuse Model (closely) then shape clothing than export. Then import to Fuse. Mixamo has some decent tutorials. Licensing on Fuse Characters is very straight forward and free with the software. One caveat here with Mixamo is that they were recently purchased by Adobe which places any new purchases on hiatus. Existing customers received plenty of tokens for animations and other things. All Access i by far the best deal if you can still get in.....Fuse and many other things are completely free for the membership. You can pay for one month then start and stop as needed.

To help simplify the Sound Animation of the Blendshapes there are a couple very nice tools on the Asset Store. You can search for the others but the one I am using and testing is this:
    SALSA with RandomEyes
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/16944

The process is very smooth and simple on both DAZ and Fuse characters. I do not use full speech dialogues (far too expensive) but I use voice sets and they do work nicely. Close enough is good enough.

Either DAZ or Fuse will make excellent characters to go with the very nifty 3DForge Interiors and Exteriors....especially with this new HD texture upgrade. Very nifty indeed. :);)

Cheers
    Olander

S4G4N likes this.
  26. Teila

Teila

Fuse is currently free for everyone so I suggest downloading it and making a bunch of characters. :) Also you can make a Mixamo account and get 20 free animations and a number of rigs at the moment.

S4G4N likes this.
  27. S4G4N

S4G4N

BackwoodsGaming and Acissathar like this.
  28. smada-luap

smada-luap

Just had a wander around the Cathedral. Very nice :)

S4G4N likes this.
  29. S4G4N

S4G4N

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  30. Olander

Olander

Indeed. See the way the light was playing off the books? Great stuff. This is such an improvement!

Thank You. I did not realize this to be honest. Yes, a very good deal for Fuse at this time.

S4G4N and Teila like this.
  31. Deleted User

Deleted User

So I'm looking into daz3d. It looks like the base software is free and says you can use what you make royalty free. I'm not sure what you mean by paying licensing. I'm kind of confused on the Genesis models. Do they come with daz and you buy the outfits or do you need the base model? Also see in order to get the decimator it's like $100. I can see why you would need it the models are really high polygon. I'm wondering are they already rigged so you import them into unity and add a character controller and they will wal and move around ? Or do you have to rig them as well?

S4G4N likes this.
  32. S4G4N

S4G4N

kittik likes this.
  33. Olander

Olander

Right, All of DAZ Art and Characters are Royalty Free however it is a Professional Artist market so there are a variety of licenses for Commercial Development (which includes games). DAZ Originals are under one license which covers a lot of content (most character sets are under this). Then there are the PA licenses. I know that I will need to purchase 4 licenses from the DAZ store....and I am really picky about making sure I keep it that way. 4 licenses at ~$1500-2000 US is still a great price once the game sells....which is when you need the licenses. To find out more www.daz3d.com then in the upper right box search for License. You will see the PAs here that participate.

All DAZ models are fully rigged and skinned (weighted). They are also skinned in pre-twisted quads which when skin moves it will not buckle unless very extremely bent. Mixamo Fuse by comparison is in simple tris with difficult to understand seam lines and no pre-twisting.

DAZ PC+ member is an ENORMOUS discount. Very often finding things at $2-4 that are $15+ at regular price. Example recently I purchased ~$750 worth of product for ~$90. Very nice indeed. This does include a huge discount on the character sets as well. DAZ Decimator is a tough swallow in the beginning (never on sale) but is well worth it.....the newest one for v4.8 Pro works even better.

I really like Mixamo Fuse....and it is much less expensive (less investment) to get going. Fuse and Mixamo is just limited on what it can do where DAZ has zero limitations. I chose DAZ for those reasons. The v4.7 Pro and v4.8 Pro are very solid software now.

If any are interested I am attaching my DAZ Workflows (in PDF) to Unity for Characters (the Genesis Rig), Objects, and Clothing. They greatly reduce the seat time. The Genesis 1 or 2 Rigs work really well (my preference) but I also show how to Mixamo Autorig a DAZ Genesis model on Mixamo. With Mixamo Animations to get them right in Unity 5 you will need a Mixamo Autorigged Template Avatar to point at or the rig will not work (Unity 5 'Feature'). Start a conversation with me for any assistance.

Cheers
    O

Attached Files:

34. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thank you so much for al this info and sorry to co is for taking over the thread. :)

S4G4N likes this.
  35. S4G4N

S4G4N

@TommyT no problemmo :), it is related to gaming, so cool man

36. Deleted User

Deleted User

@Cobus I'm wondering if the new interiors is missing some items? For floors I only seem to have square stone tiles that are half the width and length of a wall. I do have the half floors that are half the width but the same length as a wall. But seem to be missing the the older full size squares for the stone tiles. Also can't seem to find those stone skulls for the crypt. Are those included?

S4G4N likes this.
  37. S4G4N

S4G4N

@TommyT

Stone Skulls was missed in the update, the texture is part of the package if you have updated to the HD udate
    Here is the link do add the mesh and prefabs to the project.

Here is an image to show where what is concerning floors

I also included a example usage scene in the demo scene folder that also shows the use of the wall caps, 1/2 & 1/4 floors and half walls

Cheers
    Cobus

38. Olander

Olander

@S4G4N Small bug reports for Village Exteriors.

1) Roofs>Half there are only wooden options....need to have slate as well.
    2) Set Static button in prefabs (have to add door prefabs after placing)

Really nice comment: :)
    I have not had to LOD any of the 3DForge Exteriors and Interiors at all. I am turning rendering off on static objects at 200m (Occlusion is still being done on non-visible objects) but still playing around with this and Unity 5 fog to get the right feel. Brilliant mesh work here Cobus! I cannot optimized these any more than they are. More impressed at every turn.

Thank You again for such wonderful kits.

Cheers
    O

S4G4N likes this.
  39. S4G4N

S4G4N

@Olander
    Roofs:
    I will most certainly add that, I will greatly expand that section, it was a quick add on two users asked for before release.
    I see great potential for what can be done with that and what users can come up with
    Static:
    I will set them all to that when the next update goes live

It is great to open a forum post and receive such feedback from someone that I know is using the package for a real-world project. Reading your feedback tells me I have accomplished what I wanted to and that is to place a great Art Asset Package in the hands of people to assist them to build their dream. You and many others buy my work enabling me to keep doing what I love, so I can always only do my best to provide you with affordable, optimized assets :):):)

Thanks @Olander ;)

Cheers
    Cobus

BackwoodsGaming and Olander like this.
  40. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi,

To keep in line with the Village Interiors Kit HD release
    The first Village Exteriors Kit FREE update will also have a 5.0.0 release with the addition of Ambient Occlusion maps
    This will have the Exteriors and Interiors 100% the same level of texture detail and maps in the packages

Cheers
    Cobus

41. Deleted User

Deleted User

Here's one for the group. Been loving both kits. I've been building some small houses that are 2 x 2 and when you do a 2 story it doesn't leave much room at all for stairs. What I ended up doing was taking out a floor and ceiling tile and putting in a nice angled ladder.

Anyone have any good ladder scripts to share. I'm looking to walk up click on it and have it auto drive me to the top with little stops along the way like your climbing the rungs then have it place you at the top. Same for the way down.

Anyone done anything like this yet ?

S4G4N likes this.
  42. EDarkness

EDarkness

I haven't done this yet, but it's something I'll be doing sometime in the near future. Been thinking about how to do it and I think using something like uSequencer would be a good idea. Especially since the ladder is stationary and you could play the sequence whenever the player clicks on the ladder. Shouldn't be that hard to do.

S4G4N likes this.
  43. Olander

Olander

@TommyT This is a two step process. Step 1 is the simple part. Step 2 depends much upon how you are using your motion controller. I will explain the easiest and most reliable method.

Step 1) Make/Purchase a Ladder Climbing Animation with Root Motion. Mixamo has a few that are high quality.

Step 2) Add a C# Script to the ladder....this is an Attribute. This Attribute can define this as a Ladder with hipoints, hardness, whatever you want. Every 10 frames (for performance) do a Raycast (for any 'Within Reach' Interactives)....if the Raycast is True 'Something' is hit within the distance you specified. Now simply check the Component for the C# Attribute Script you attached to determine if this is a Ladder...or perhaps Chair....or perhaps Crafting Station....you get the point. If something matches....Ladder in this case....Move To a Waypoint/Location/Object just in front of the Ladder (specified by the animation)....then Set Facing. Then if all that is True send the Animation Key to Mecanim and watch the avatar climb to the top.

*Note: Most of your animations should be called by an Integer....Key. Check Something...True...Set Animation Key Integer

The reason I am describing this is that posting a snippet of code will not do. Your motion controller will need this 'Control Type' to be integrated which means anything i post would be invalidate. The main thing to keep in mind is that you are setting various Integer Modes that the motion controller needs to Analyze for it to be able to apply the proper animation and motion. Basically....a lot of Smoke and Mirrors.

Lastly i would highly recommend using Integers instead of Bools for the comparison checks. Integers can do both duties of Staging Controller as well as 0/1 state checks. In this way you can create very long and complicated animation sequences to get done with a switch() statement.

Hope that helps.
    Cheers
    O

S4G4N likes this.
  44. Deleted User

Deleted User

@Olander. Thanks. I forgot to mention it's a first person controller. I was curious if I could somehow attach a premade animation to it and somehow have it work but since the controller object is just a modified unity standard asset fps controller I wasn't sure.

S4G4N likes this.
  45. Olander

Olander

Ohhhhh....I see. Well....do you have a zoom mode for viewing 3rd person? That would solve that....if not and only arms then you may have to have a skeleton to make the climbing look real. If you are not concerned about the climbing motion then it is a really simple matter of setting a mode and walking forward/backward. except you will be moving in the Y instead. That is crazy simple.

In any case all the things with the ladder portion would remain the same.

S4G4N likes this.
  46. Deleted User

Deleted User

@Olander. Right I know how to move the player. What I'm not sure of is how to have it auto move with mini stops as if your climbing the rungs. I can make it go up smooth just want that look like your really climbing it.

S4G4N likes this.
  47. Olander

Olander

Use a Skeleton with Animation to make it simple. With no Skeleton you will have to lerp speed up then down from rung to rung. haha!! This is getting complicated! :p Good thing I am developing in the typically more complicated 3rd person. LOL!!!

S4G4N likes this.
  48. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi Everyone,

Just some good news. I have completed the redoing and uploading of all the Top Down Web DEMOS
    This means that I am now 100% onto the FREE Updates Road Map that was posted on the first page
    So, some cool new stuff landing for Village Exteriors Kit owners with the edition of NEW BLUEPRINTS with each Update

As stated before, more than just the actual Road Map item will come each time, extra walls, roofs, some props and all kinds of Big & Small items together with the actual Road Map item.

The Crypts

Dragon Keep

Sleepy Raven Inn

Cheers
    Cobus

Olander, EDarkness and kittik like this.
  49. b4c5p4c3

b4c5p4c3

Hi Cobus.

To be honest i'm quite dissapointed with the caps "solution" you put in the HD update. I thought that after months of asking for them you would include at least caps for all props that looks black from a top down perspective and not only for some walls.

I'm attaching a screenshot with prefabs that doesn't have caps or at least i haven't found them

1 and 2 - Pillars
    3 - Thin walls
    and also niches doesn't have caps (not included in the screenshot)

As i told you in an email i still think the best solution is to add textures to the top faces of the prefabs as you did in the exterior pack instead of the caps, but if you really want to add the caps please add them to all the prefabs that need it.

S4G4N likes this.
  50. S4G4N

S4G4N

@b4c5p4c3

Hey hey, I really try to add all the requested items and recalled that I did add these ones as well:):):)

I have added 1/4 , 1/2 & full square ones and even the one 8 sided version

Wall caps are twice the with of a single wall, so that if you had the walls back to back, it would cover the full width in one go.

Here, I made a quick scene and highlighted the root where they were added
    Basically the wall-caps are will the walls and the pillar-caps are by the pillars.

A >> Scaled them down height wise after placing >> if you want flatter versions.
    Grabs and scale the whole bunch in one go so they end up being the same, or scale the first one you place
    and just duplicate that one over and over.
    B >> the standard drag and dropped ones.

Getting so many assets in a package does take a bit of working with the find your way.
    One users said my packs are so large that you need a Map & a GPS to get your way around HAHAHAHA

Even this last update had more prefabs added then many packs have in total to start with:):):)

Happy scene building

Cheers
    Cobus

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015