Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

3DForge Exteriors

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by S4G4N, Apr 6, 2015.

1. kittik

kittik

Will the Catacombs, Caves and Forge get this amazing texture update also? Really liking the updates so far!

2. S4G4N

S4G4N

@kittik
    The Catacombs & Forge is part of the Interiors Kit so they automatically will be getting it right now.

The cave set I will revisit at another time, but very likely yes.

kittik likes this.
  3. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi everyone,
    Some more screenshots with all of the textures that has been repainted used, still few outstanding that is being done, just wanted to show the WIP so far. I am extremely happy with the results :):):)

Not only double the texture resolution, but Normal and Ambient Occlusion maps are being added at this higher resolution really bringing the final look to a much higher mush more rich result.

Cheers
    Cobus

4. Whippets

Whippets

Epic Cobus, totally epic.

Teila and S4G4N like this.
  5. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Wow! Totally amazing difference! You posting these in your interiors kit thread as well? :p

Teila and S4G4N like this.
  6. S4G4N

S4G4N

@Shawn67

Glad you like it, the upgrade is just so HUGE :):):) in respect to quality

I am posting them here since they work hand in hand with the Village Exteriors and want to show users the coolness that their Exteriors can have already and just so much better after the HD texture and compatibility update is complete

And at the end of the day, I look after the products.
    You buy one, you buy an investment ;)

Cheers
    Cobus

7. EDarkness

EDarkness

Looking forward to playing with paper, rugs, and beds textures. I always felt like the beds could benefit from better texturing and it looks like I was right. Awesome stuff in any case. Your screens really show it off well.

Oh, is there any way you could remove the bottles from the base texture? It's hard to give them that "shine" without making wood "shine", too. Heh, heh.

Whippets and S4G4N like this.
  8. S4G4N

S4G4N

@EDarkness
    Yes, make a copy of the texture, call it bottles, that make a new material and apply that new texture to it.
    Then you can give the bottles that material and all the rest of the items that reads off that wood material, maybe non shiny

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    EDarkness likes this.
  9. Teila

Teila

An easy and elegant solution, Cobus. :)

S4G4N likes this.
  10. EDarkness

EDarkness

That works. I'll mess around with it a bit later today.

S4G4N likes this.
  11. S4G4N

S4G4N

Just an Update on further completed textures

- fi_village_beds_hd.png >> Normals and OA also done
    - fi_village_catacombs_hd.png >> Busy
    - fi_village_doors_hd.png >> Normals and OA also done
    - fi_village_shields_hd.png >> Normals and OA also done
    - fi_village_wood_hd.png >> Normals and OA also done
    - fi_village_wondows_hd.png >> Normals and OA also done

Library and others next

Cheers
    Cobus

EDarkness, Xoduz, Archania and 2 others like this.
  12. S4G4N

S4G4N

Found a nice section that was on a hidden Photoshop layer

Will be added with the HD Update >> Nice Vertical Wall Stone Carving or sarcophagus lid carving

Cheers
    Cobus

99thmonkey, Wylaryzel, kittik and 3 others like this.
  13. Teila

Teila

So excited about the updates and can't wait to replace the old textures. :)

SecretAnorak and S4G4N like this.
  14. smada-luap

smada-luap

Same here :)

S4G4N likes this.
  15. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hey there,

Woven and Library textures done :)
    Adding the last few just so cool becasue it is like missing parts and the combined results just top class

Now is the time to build that "Ancient Library "

Already busy with Lighting

Cheers
    Cobus

16. kittik

kittik

The time and effort that you take to enhance already saleable assets is excellent. Really happy that I have been investing in your assets over certain other people, whose reviews suggest that they aren't as devoted to their work as you clearly are. Really looking forward to the release of the HD textures for my current project, these textures will take my work to another level.

Whippets, EDarkness and S4G4N like this.
  17. S4G4N

S4G4N

@kittik Thanks for the compliments, I love what I do

I do this to earn a living, when time allows I will always try to place better and better assets into the hands of developers that will make your projects shine even more.

Cheers
    Cobus

Whippets, EDarkness and Teila like this.
  18. Teila

Teila

Fabulous, Cobus! You have surpassed even yourself, which is a hard thing to do. :) Congrats and I hope you have many many more sales due to your hard work.

19. Whippets

Whippets

Cobus, those rugs and books are brilliant. More rugs like that are needed, they look real.

S4G4N likes this.
  20. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

*drools* Are they all done yet? :p *ducks from Teila's club*

S4G4N likes this.
  21. S4G4N

S4G4N

Whippets likes this.
  22. Whippets

Whippets

Teila has a club? A real one with members?

Olander, Teila and S4G4N like this.
  23. b4c5p4c3

b4c5p4c3

Hi Cobus can we expect the wall caps to be included in this update???

I hate to be pushy but i'm trying to get this fixed for more than 9 months and as you said is not a big deal to get this fixed.

I really need that you put this higher in your priority list.

S4G4N likes this.
  24. S4G4N

S4G4N

@b4c5p4c3 I am most certainly including some stone and wooden caps.
    Several people have asked for them, so they definitely coming with this update

25. b4c5p4c3

b4c5p4c3

Great News. :)

S4G4N likes this.
  26. kittik

kittik

Quick question on the stone carving face-mask type things for sarcophaguses: Do all of them have those symbols on them? Is there going to be a plain version? I'd love to use a version of it without symbols.

S4G4N likes this.
  27. S4G4N

S4G4N

@kittik I added that, but I can provide a version without it :)

Teila and kittik like this.
  28. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

So I know you are busy wrapping up the HD textures update for the Village Interior Kit but know you were talking about jumping into the free updates after you finished. Any idea of your order of attack on the updates? Any chance you could order the list of planned updates so we can see what is coming next?

I know.. I'm such a pain... :p

Thanks Cobus! Looking forward to seeing the Village Interiors update button in my asset list to try out those new textures and also looking forward to new toys in this kit!

I don't think I've shared a screenie in the thread for a while. Here is one of my most recent homestead shots. A few of the props are from other places, but buildings and fences are all from the exterior kit! Looking forward to replacing props with Cobus' props... :)

Homestead_v6.jpg

Olander, Whippets, smada-luap and 2 others like this.
  29. S4G4N

S4G4N

@Shawn67 Hey man, that is looking great

Yeah, very excited about getting the HD Interiors Kit Update out the door
    I have got only two texture sheets to still complete, then add some nice new screenshots to show the new awesomeness and then submit, so it is around the corner :):):)

I will then post here and get more clear consensus on the FREE Update roadmap.
    I will have to read through the 24 pages and try put that list together, but it will be extremely helpful if users can again give me their lists in order of importance to get that refined quicker.

At the end, ALL of the updates are going to get added.
    Once a few has been added, the price will go up, for several of these will also be available as full kits for between
    $15-$25 depending on the size. So for those that do not have it yet and have waiting, do not wait too long :):):)
    Getting the full kit will be a HUGE saving plus you have everything in one install

Cheers
    Cobus

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  30. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to give some feedback about progress.
    These are the few that is outstanding after which I am onto the first FREE Updates for the Village Exteriors Kit.

fi_village_forge_hd.png >> Almost done
    fi_village_containers_hd.png
    fi_village_kitchen_hd.png
    fi_village_food.png

Here are some more screenshots of the already completed textures in use

Can now build some cool Diablo-like tombs, crypts and catacombs:):):)

Cheers
    Cobus

31. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Following would be my order of importance. But as I've said in the past, I'm so early in production any order is probably fine on my end... lol

1. Thatch Roof texture
    2. Outdoors Props Pack
    3. Unique buildings
      - Forge
      - Windmills
      - Waterwheel
      - Sawmill / Lumberyard
      - Old Lighthouse
    4. Outdoor Market Place Kit
    5. Notice/Message board & signs
    6. Town Cemetery
    7. Harbor Kit
    8. Burned/damaged structures/prefabs
    9. Underground Tunnel system interconnecting buildings
    10. Decals
    11. Pillars pack + Arch parts
    12. Hanging drapes / flags and others
    13. Wooden and Stone City Walls Kit
    14. Castles & Cathedrals Exteriors Kit
    15. Steam Punk prefabs
    16. Trees, bushes, shrubs, flowers & grasses
    You also have Modular Pavement/Sidewalk prefabs on your list. To be honest, I'm not interested in this on at all. Maybe textures that can me used but not sure I want to use meshes for this stuff. I doubt I'd use meshes/prefabs for this kind of stuff at all.

S4G4N likes this.
  32. Whippets

Whippets

1. Thatch Roof texture
    2. Outdoors Props Pack
    3. Unique buildings
      - Forge
      - Windmills
      - Waterwheel
      - Sawmill / Lumberyard
      - Old Lighthouse
    4. Outdoor Market Place Kit
    5. Modular pavements/sidewalks and circular raised paved areas
    6. Notice/Message board & signs
    7. Underground Tunnel system interconnecting buildings
    8. Harbour Kit
    9. Hanging drapes / flags and others
    10. Wooden and Stone City Walls Kit
    11. Castles & Cathedrals Exteriors Kit
    12. Roofs with half steepness angle

S4G4N likes this.
  33. S4G4N

S4G4N

@Shawn67 @Whippets I love lists and you made them nice and complete, not just top 5
    Thanks, this is going to be great to help determine the pipeline of tasks

34. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Hey.. You ask and ye shall receive... heheh

S4G4N likes this.
  35. Archania

Archania

Just do all of them now :)

S4G4N likes this.
  36. smada-luap

smada-luap

+1 :)

S4G4N likes this.
  37. EDarkness

EDarkness

Alright...

1. All the wall textures I've sent to be made into walls...finally. :D (or make a generic wall that can use any texture like the floors)
    1a. Curbs for the city (corners, some with a drain, and plain). Kinda need this as soon as you can do it.
    2. Remove the beams from Interior Kit wall12_01 and wall12_04 (make three versions, one with a beam on the left side, on the right side, and none at all).
    3. Different angled roof (including flat roofs). Everything is too steep now.
    4. Larger building frames 6x6, 6x5, 7x7.
    5. High class walls, buildings, props.
    6. Castle/keep pack.
    7. Round wall sections and door frames.
    8. Interior kit walls with holes in them for windows.
    9. Yellow walls for the exterior and interior kits again. (should be easy to do, actually)
    10. Desks and high class tables!
    11. Walls that can be used for the dock area. The one in the exterior kit works well enough right now, but definitely need a better solution.

*EDIT* 12. Double door frames for all of the other walls. A wooden one would be awesome.

This should keep you busy for a while. I don't care if you start with the easy stuff like colored walls. Kinda need the curbs when you can get them.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    S4G4N likes this.
  38. Whippets

Whippets

Did I forget to add field and garden hedges - not those poncy box hedges, but real, rough hedging (yet still low enough poly to use for field boundaries). Drystone walls to match.

S4G4N likes this.
  39. S4G4N

S4G4N

Just an update

fi_village_forge_hd.png >> DONE
    fi_village_kitchen_hd.png >> DONE

Acissathar likes this.
  40. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hey all. Wanted to throw a question out to the community of 3d forge users. Since we have this awesome exterior package with super high textures my game has started to suffer from a lot of draw calls and slower frame rates. I have been trying to use occlusion culling but the assets don't occlude as they should for instance when I bake a scene with occlusion culling and I'm looking at a building straight on none of the back walls of the building should be drawn. But they do. I'm not sure if this is because the walls and floors don't have back faces ? I've tried mesh combining but that really messes up lighting. Interiors works the same ? Is it be use of no back faces? It's odd because rooms that are covered by walls occlude the furniture in them but not the walls themselves that should be hidden.

Anyone else tried this and have a solution ?

S4G4N likes this.
  41. smada-luap

smada-luap

@TommyT - have you set the Occluder Static on the walls?

Back faces shouldn't have any relevance on occlusion baking as it's never drawn anyway.

S4G4N likes this.
  42. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes. When I go into visualization mode and move the player around that rooms back walls which but up against walls that can be seen are still shown.

S4G4N likes this.
  43. smada-luap

smada-luap

Can you get a screengrab of what's happening so I can visualise what's going off? (Please be aware that I'm actually going out fairly soon for the evening to celebrate my birthday with friends, so it may not be until tomorrow before I could reply - but that won't stop any others coming onto this thread that may be able to help :D )

S4G4N likes this.
  44. S4G4N

S4G4N

I have a screenshot of a bunch of prefabs dropped into the basement of the Sleepy Raven Inn basement.

Cheers
    Cobus

99thmonkey and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  45. Olander

Olander

@TommyT
    I shall make attempt to offer up some things to look for and summary.

Firstly let us discuss Occlusion and Frustum Culling. This Unity Docs link does a nice job of summing this up.
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/OcclusionCulling.html
    The important thing here is setting up your Occlusion. Personally I do not use the Unity 5 (or the v 4 Pro version prior) culling because there are more performant methods to do this. However, the newest culling is free and does work rather well.

Now as to the added HD textures. Texturing in GPUs is like taking a palette then in one swipe painting all the colors at once.....hence 1 Draw Call. Here is a nice reference for designing the materials in Unity.
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/shader-Performance.html
    There is no right answer for YOU in this. You have to adjust the Materials and Textures to the game you are designing for. There is no method around this. Most people simply think they can make a game and build it to any supported device that they have licensing for....which certainly works but a Desktop designed game will most likely over burden a Mobile device. This is where the Designer comes in.....not the artist....not the coder....the Designer.

Most likely you should be in Deferred Rendering whenever possible. If you cannot for some reason then you will need to pay particular attention to the number of textures applied within each material as well.

In reference example to 3DForge and the upgraded textures. Once culling is firmly in place the Designer will need to implement a very robust testing phase and check GPU allocations (draw calls, texture memory, Frames Per Second). The Designer will need two base reference points to graph in a spreadsheet. Then as resources and shaders are modified they may be defined and optimized. Based upon this information hard choices will have to be made as to the design parameters of the game. These 3DForge textures may have to be downscaled in GIMP/Photoshop to 1024 or even 512 but depending upon your target you may be able to still use normals and the ambient occlusion for very rich results. Upscaling takes a really savvy eye to resample a texture and make it look right where as downscaling is very simple and little is lost....especially in a texture format such as PNG.

Lastly what was mentioned about Backface Culling. By default the Unity 5 shaders (even the old ones) do not render the face away from the 'Surface of the Material'. So when you are looking at the material in the Inspector the Inside of the sphere is not ever going to be rendered. Usually 3D model artists do a nice job of closing in the model with UVs. When that is not the case because the artist is using a 2-sided texturing technique we need to solve this in Unity itself. It is fairly simple but there is very little information on how to do this. All the 3DForge stuff does very well with 1-sided textures. So this is not a needed feature.

How to make a 2-sided Shader in Unity 5
    - Assign the Material to Standard or Standard (Specular Setup) depending upon which you are going to do.
    - If specular is chosen....set the Specular Color box to RGB 15,15,15 <= excellent starting point for most objects
    - Down from the Drop Down Box in the upper corner choose Edit Shader
    Notes: This will show you all the values you may set via code....including swapping out textures.
    - Open Monodevelop
    - Now press the Compile and Show Code button
    - Save the shader to your new 2-Sided shader name....you may have a few different versions of these. Usually 1 works with a great many objects that require both sides to be rendered.....great example....foliage.
    - Now in your new shader you are going to Add => Cull Off <= Your shader should like the snippet below.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. SubShader {
    2. LOD 300
    3. Tags { "RenderType"="Opaque" "PerformanceChecks"="False" }
    4. Cull Off
    - Save it then test it to see if it worked. It should.

Hopefully this information helps.

Cheers
    O

ge01f, b4c5p4c3 and S4G4N like this.
  46. S4G4N

S4G4N

@Olander

Wow, great response. I am no coder AT ALL and it was informative to read through the reply :):):)
    It is GREAT to read that the meshes I provide is up to scratch to assist with performance as far as I can

Double-sided-shader:
    What I have done in the past to remove the need for a 2-sides-shader need is duplicate the faces and flip the normals the other direction. The original mesh is low poly so it does not add anything other than still only the need for a single sided shader.

Out of interest sake, for someone else have asked, what mesh-combine method would you recommend for users?

Cheers
    Cobus

47. Deleted User

Deleted User

Wow. Olader. Thanks for the info. Perhaps you can explain this. Take a 4 room interior with a plus shaped hallway in between them with the 3d forge kit. Walls on the inside and outside of each room. If I turn on culling. Mark the walls as static occluded and I go into a room and look diagonally in the visualizer I see the inside wall of a room that should be occluded by the hall way wall directly 180 degrees from it. Also the back room wall is drawn which should also be occluded by the hallway wall. In my tavern scene it's almost like I'm only getting frustum culling with a small amount of the props get culled but the walls don't seem to. That's what strikes me as odd. I could probably post a screen shot to demonstrate.

S4G4N likes this.
  48. Olander

Olander

S4G4N likes this.
  49. Deleted User

Deleted User

I tried simple mesh combine on like textures objects like all the floors on one level it does reduce the draw calls as expected but it messes up the lighting to where the lights no longer seem to work. I think if the lighting functioned properly that would be the best way to group like textured pieces and combine them.

S4G4N likes this.
  50. Teila

Teila

Olander likes this.