Search Unity

3DForge Exteriors

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by S4G4N, Apr 6, 2015.

1. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi Everyone,

By all means I will be sharing @Olander 's awesome work.
    I zipped the bunch, made almost no difference, but think it better anyways, for I added all the items as separate files, so users can click and select which ones you want to download, not having to grab the whole 444mb folder.

Here is the folder

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fzooxowrqhfwrvf/AABUOQmHOVAu7ABC2W8GkMNea?dl=0

It appears as if some of the items have already finished sincing, so check a few times to the the whole thing later today.

Cheers
    Cobus

Teila and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  2. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Out of curiosity, how many files should we expect to see there when it is finished uploading?

EDIT: And btw, thanks Olander and Cobus for this!

S4G4N likes this.
  3. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi,

There are 15 in total, this includes @Olander 's own adjusted Normal map as well as his settings screeny

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  4. S4G4N

S4G4N

if anyone could confirm that you can see them appear as they getting sicned and that you can download the, it would be cool :)

5. smada-luap

smada-luap

I've just had a look and can see all 15 images :)

S4G4N likes this.
  6. S4G4N

S4G4N

cool, just wanted to make sure it is working :)

7. smada-luap

smada-luap

Decided to go for a more barn/storage shed type of building for another one instead of a house :)

screenshot22.jpg

screenshot21.jpg

No glass in this one so everything's open to the elements :)

Oh yeah, now that I've fixed my swimming problems, you'll want to use the bridges rather than swim across - it 4x as long to swim that to walk over the bridge :)

8. S4G4N

S4G4N

Looking very good @smada luap
    I like the brighter daytime screenies :):)

9. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

lol Your "barns" look like my houses.... lol

(ignore the ugly treeless/plantless terrain and my funky Suimono water.. still need to tweak those but debating on whether I want to deal with them or just wait for Adam to get his terrain asset on the store since I'll probably redo terrains at that point anyways... lol)

Lakeside01.jpg Lakeside02.jpg

S4G4N, Olander, smada-luap and 2 others like this.
  10. smada-luap

smada-luap

@Shawn67 Nah. You've got proper windows in with glass. My barn's just open to the elements

Cue @Teila to reply now to say that I've got a real house as there's no glass to worry about :D

S4G4N and Teila like this.
  11. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

lol.. Ok.. Sounds good..

Re: Teila.. She may not be responsive until this evening.. Her and her family (who make up part of her dev team) are at the Unity Roadshow in Florida today.. So she might not be on the forums a lot for much of today and maybe tomorrow. I'm so jealous.. The one in Ohio was already booked up when I found out about it and evidently not enough canceled for me to get an open spot.. lol

S4G4N likes this.
  12. nosyrbllewe

nosyrbllewe

There was a roadshow in Florida today? If only I knew earlier...

@Olander @S4G4N Thanks for the new materials, they look great.
    And to everybody else, your buildings look really nice. Its amazing how much flexibility this kit gives us in making quality medieval buildings.

S4G4N and Olander like this.
  13. smada-luap

smada-luap

Last 'house' is going to be in a part-built state.

screenshot23.jpg

Now all I need to do is place the locations around the level where the player can find the gems they're looking for. Add in a few other gaming elements (they need somewhere to find potions to allow casting of blue or red fireballs :D, etc.) and then I've maybe got a finished game level :)

S4G4N and Olander like this.
  14. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

The way I'm setting up my prefabs is separating into building states. My thought is I will be able to turn the appropriate main child objects on based on building stage (for player housing) or manually turn off stages I don't want shown on non-player housing..

Hierarchy.jpg

So for something like what you have, I would only have exterior/foundation and exterior/frame showing, the rest of exterior and all the interior would be disabled.. Or maybe the roof would be done too... Or maybe it might just display a dug out basement, only showing an exterior/foundation and interior/foundation..

Whippets and S4G4N like this.
  15. S4G4N

S4G4N

@Shawn67 Like the stilts usage on the slopes

@smada luap That half built also nice, I am sure that section will still expand as users come back and ask for other small parts to accommodate a user interaction system or a code controlled building stages environment

16. smada-luap

smada-luap

Could do with piles of timber of various sizes/thicknesses that match the style -almost like they've bought a flat pack kit and they've just left all the pieces lyuing around as they start their build ☺

BackwoodsGaming, S4G4N and Whippets like this.
  17. Whippets

Whippets

Yep, piles of timber, the odd plank here and there, a saw-horse, few tools, stacks of roof tiles, and general clutter

BackwoodsGaming and S4G4N like this.
  18. smada-luap

smada-luap

Not forgetting piles of pre-cut stones for either basement walls, paths or even castle walls :)

S4G4N likes this.
  19. S4G4N

S4G4N

@smada luap @Whippets
    Building the list of FREE Props Update with these :)

fyi, I am done with he actual website, just working on the BLUEPRINTS section now, think I could be launching on or just after the weekend.
    I will make BIG NOISE here, on Facebook and Twitter

Then onto Interiors HD update:):):)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    BackwoodsGaming and Whippets like this.
  20. smada-luap

smada-luap

*stands behind Cobus cracking a whip in a futile attempt to get him to work quicker*

:)

S4G4N, BackwoodsGaming and Whippets like this.
  21. Whippets

Whippets

Aye, crack on XD

S4G4N and smada-luap like this.
  22. Olander

Olander

*checks the watch ticker* Cobus just does not understand. :)

Building with the Exteriors and Interiors together is very smooth.

@Shawn67 great idea. I had a similar one but completely different method. Your idea gave me another idea. ;)

@smada luap You keep talking about gems but continue to get bogged down in nifty building. Nothing to see here people no gems no gems no gems at all....ooooo super nice house! Mine! :D

*joins the rest of the crowd and snaps a whip as well*

S4G4N likes this.
  23. smada-luap

smada-luap

@Olander the gems are the easy part - all I need to do is put the markers in place for where they could appear and they'll turn up at game time. First off I need somewhere for the player to search :)

S4G4N likes this.
  24. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

So your gems are kind of like the same deal as NPC spawn points where an NPC could possibly spawn except for buildings? That sounds brilliant! I may have to steal that idea for my homesteads!

Thanks.. Only thing I'm having an issue with at the moment is with the Plinths presetting locations for basement interiors. Basement parts don't seem as easy to flip as the exterior walls were. Kind of waiting to see what I can do with interiors once the textures are updated. The interior pieces that are made in the exteriors kit just seem to be plinth wall corners. I may have to try to break them down into wall pieces like I did the first floor exteriors...

So what is the idea you had? Would love to build off of this more. Planning to offer the core exterior prefabs in the blueprints section once Cobus has it online. Interiors will come later. :)

S4G4N likes this.
  25. smada-luap

smada-luap

@Shawn67 basically yes. A script at startup finds all go's with a specific tag and then spawns a preset number of gem prefabs at random locations from this list. This way no play through of the level is the same each time :)

Olander, S4G4N and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  26. Olander

Olander

Right. So my idea was to add to the Housing System to allow someone....NPC or Player to build a Building or House. So there is a plot of land and then a few places where a building type would be allowed. Set the rotation of the building....then when ready the building disappears and only markers and material are scattered about. Each Building takes a certain amount of time but they all are built in the same 5 or so stages. Every 20% change building state.

Since I have persistent time and a database it is a simple matter for each house to have it's own database which would also include all the furnishings inside. Pre-built designer painted/placed buildings would have a flag set to say whether this is already built or not....and if not....at what date should it begin.

I have not figure out a decent way to use basements with dynamic houses so I am thinking of discarding them. Static placed ones could still have them but mainly for a quest or something fun.

Teila and S4G4N like this.
  27. smada-luap

smada-luap

Decided one of the game levels is going to be nothing but one very large house sat in woodland. Spent about 4 hours this afternoon putting this together (after a couple of aborted design attempts :D)

A long view shot :)
    screenshot24.jpg

Knock, knock. Anyone home?
    screenshot25.jpg

No answer. I'll try around the back...
    screenshot26.jpg

Hello? Anyone home?
    screenshot27.jpg

Doesn't look like anyone's home...
    screenshot28.jpg

This house will be fully explorable (apart from the basement :D)

Still got to decide if there will be floors in the main roof area (you can see the windows there) or whether I'll just have 3 floors to explore :)

tl;dr you don't have to limit yourself to small houses :) lol

28. Wylaryzel

Wylaryzel

as it seems empty... maybe a big ghost house. I like what I see :)

S4G4N likes this.
  29. smada-luap

smada-luap

I think I might try some sort of simple mechanic like having people wander around the place and if they spot you then you just vanish and reappear back where you start the level.

It'll get me into dealing with moving NPCs around the place, their animated state(s) and perhaps some simple AI as well :)

S4G4N likes this.
  30. Acissathar

Acissathar

That house is pretty damn awesome, and it definitely goes to show just how flexible this kit is.

S4G4N likes this.
  31. Olander

Olander

@smada luap So glad to see another do what you did. I was also exploring the idea of Guild Houses with your concept. It is amazing that 3DForge Exteriors can simply do all of this. Your house actually has some resemblances to The Prancing Pony Inn. :D

S4G4N likes this.
  32. Teila

Teila

I am having some issues with complex roofs. It seems that no matter what I do, some part is missing. I think I will try taking the roof pieces into Maya and making some of the extra parts that I need. Should be easy enough.

S4G4N likes this.
  33. smada-luap

smada-luap

@Teila - I've noticed similar issues, particularly when I'm wanting to join a 3-wide roof into a 5-wide to create an oversized dormer. The T/L/X roofs that Cobus has done are good if you're sticking with a fixed roof size

S4G4N likes this.
  34. smada-luap

smada-luap

I might have some issues once I start on the interior work, but I might be able to design things around that :)

S4G4N likes this.
  35. Teila

Teila

Yeah, but you have to have them wider than I want because he didn't put the trim on the edge of the roof. So I had to toss the X-roof plan and use the T-roof and the bump out the front. Not a bad look but not what I had planned. :) I am just playing around at the moment and having fun.

I did notice one cool thing. I was able to texture the core, use a tool to rescale the UV and have it match another building piece I already have. That is cool. The cores would make very nice simple bases for other stuff I own or made myself. It means I have a ready supply of bases for any trim, window, or add-on I want to make. :) Saves me a lot of time!

It also gives me ideas of my own cores I can make with Maya.

S4G4N likes this.
  36. smada-luap

smada-luap

There's a few things that I have to get my head around, in terms of how they all fit together, but I also had that with the interiors kit to an extent :)

If I can produce something that I like the look of then I'm happy :D lol

S4G4N likes this.
  37. Whippets

Whippets

Just let Cobus know what roof parts are missing, then we can all have them :)

BackwoodsGaming and S4G4N like this.
  38. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hey everyone :)

I was only informed about one roof part that had a missing wooden strip.
    What roofs would you like added, or rather which ones are you looking for that you can not find ?

technically I added all the ones to work with the templates and more, but there are actually endless possibilities, so if there are other possible options that you are looking for then I need to know so that I can add them :):)

Cheers
    Cobus

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  39. smada-luap

smada-luap

There we are folks. Cobus has given us permission to inundate him with requests :)

Almost :D lol

S4G4N and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  40. EDarkness

EDarkness

Need half a roof and a flat roof part. So we can make a roof like /--\. That would be my request. :)

Whippets and S4G4N like this.
  41. S4G4N

S4G4N

cool, will keep an eye here so that I will try not miss anything and can give all you guys would want

42. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Cool! I'd like a winning lottery ticket! Oh wait.. That probably isn't what you meant... :p

S4G4N likes this.
  43. S4G4N

S4G4N

HAHA, if ever I had such aa ticket, you will be getting a used one :)

BackwoodsGaming and Whippets like this.
  44. Archania

Archania

Forget the lottery ticket.. I'll just take 5 million :)

S4G4N likes this.
  45. smada-luap

smada-luap

Make sure you mention what currency. 5 million Vietnamese dong won't get you much in the US or the UK :)

46. Olander

Olander

@Teila @smada luap Tip. You don't 'have' to fit the pieces together necessarily. ;) Take 2 or 3 buildings as separates then insert them into each other then make small adjustments where they join....like stuff in a log or pillar. For the interiors just build a false wall around the bump-in. Done. :cool:

S4G4N likes this.
  47. smada-luap

smada-luap

That's what my initial plan was, and may still be should I decide to keep the house as is.

I only really wanted to see if it was feasible to build such a large house. As it stands, it's ended up too 'square' for my tastes and doesn't have any interesting features that you'd expect on something so large.

Still... it was a good experiment and a good practice for dealing with Cobus' kit :)

S4G4N likes this.
  48. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

While that might turn out looking ok, isn't that going to kill performance having all those extra tris loaded? Might be ok for single player games but I'm not thinking that would be a good solution for multiplayer. At least from my understanding of things you don't want the extra hidden graphics that you don't need... :)

S4G4N likes this.
  49. smada-luap

smada-luap

The script that I've got that lets you go from outside to inside will let you hide any interiors until you actually get in the house itself (as long as you don't need to see inside from outside through the new transparent windows :D)

I've a similar one that works when moving from floor to floor, hiding everything on the floors above you :)

S4G4N likes this.
  50. smada-luap

smada-luap

Plus, I'm only developing for standalone, not multiplayer :)

S4G4N likes this.