Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

3DForge Exteriors

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by S4G4N, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Archania

Archania

Well I get paid tomorrow so hurry the f up already before I spend it all! Lol
    really fantastic work.

Whippets likes this.
  2. Teila

Teila

Well, I will send you pictures then of your items in my game. :) Just so you can have fun too.

3. Archania

Archania

Lol the gallery of 3dforge!

4. S4G4N

S4G4N

I love seeing my assets in play and how others are enjoying them.

Yes, I do this for a living, but it really adds a big smile to my face and I show family members when my assets are in projects.

Haha, my sons thinks I play games the whole day, so they also want to do it one day :):):)

5. S4G4N

S4G4N

It is going to be great after this package is out, especially becasue it is so modular to see what users come up with.

I can easily see users each create there own set of buildings and then might end up sharing a scene file that you have with all the building in the scenes.
    So any package owner can then take that and open and TADA, they also have the building set.

So you won't be sharing meshes or textures, just designs, like sharing house plans.

Think of that coolness:):):)

6. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi,

For those not keeping an eye on the Facebook page,
    I had a user just post his own Facebook page showcasing the game he is working on using a lot of 3DForge assets.
    specifically the Village Interiors Kit

Really looking nice.
    He used several prefabs and scaled them over-sized and made more use of them.
    Also did some floral custom textures for the vaulted ceilings
    Built complete exteriors for castles with interiors parts while waiting for the Castles & Cathedrals FREE update that the exteriors package is going to get

Shards of Erem

Go check it out and give some feedback.

Cheers
    Cobus

7. Teila

Teila

Sounds like my son. He is one of our programmers on our game and his college professors say he is a gifted coder. :) Game code is challenging because there are so many different systems that have to be created so I am sure this will help with his computer science degree.

BackwoodsGaming and S4G4N like this.
  8. Wylaryzel

Wylaryzel

Hehe - as several of us having childs I'm asking: 'are we there yet, dad (cobus)?' :) the templates looks good, hope you don't need a lot of time to create the examples including the terrains :p

Even if the topic seems to be somehow closed, I want again to open / discuss the part of texturing/materials. As you mentioned in the beginning, the first version of the exterior kit will target 4.x of unity. This means also that some of the goodies / enhancements with shaders of U5 will not be available. Will you include in one of the future update a package targeting U5 shaders as well? Olander's point with regards to reassign materials on all the prefabs is really a hard job - don't know, maybe this is something thinking of make it easier for us. I did a similar exercise with the interior kit to search and assign mobile friendly shaders to it without sacrifice the quality.. doing it for all prefabs gets cumbersome and you can only hope that you don't overlook any material :)

Anyway - looking for the release to throw some money at you :)

Whippets and S4G4N like this.
  9. S4G4N

S4G4N

@Wylaryzel
    U5 PBR support is something that is planned, will look at the results first.
    There are even a few users that asked if they might assist with that :):):)

I should have first SUPERCOOL screenshots soon of demo scenes to show and then submission :):):)

Whippets and Wylaryzel like this.
  10. Wylaryzel

Wylaryzel

If you are there, depending on the solution, may consider creating materials with mobile in mind (e.g. only use Mobile/Diffuse) as the standard shader of U5 has horrible framerate on mobiles. Not that your asset would be perfectly suitable for mobile but 'cause of the used shader its not :)

Looking forward :)

11. S4G4N

S4G4N

@Wylaryzel
    Great feedback, will make a note so that when I get there.
    It is great all the development that Unity5 had brought to the table.
    I am sure that they are working on that and it will mature and we wills till see cool stuff coming through the different version releases.
    There are so many mobile platforms that it builds to, I am 100% sure someone is working on it all the time to get optimized stuff out the door.

That is one of the main reasons choice of release, I first release for the largest pool of bug free version number then do the smaller pools.

Cheers
    Cobus

12. Whippets

Whippets

That sounds ominously close to taking people's money

smada-luap and S4G4N like this.
  13. smada-luap

smada-luap

Yup, but it does give me a bit more time to find a terrain that I'm happy with, as well as finding textures that look good at both long distance and close up :D

Then it's down to plotting gameplay mechanics and how each village/town is going to fit into the grand scheme of things :)

14. S4G4N

S4G4N

am finishing of painting the terrain :)
    Added several grasses and flowers as well, looked to bland to not have grass in.

They will ship with the package as well

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  15. smada-luap

smada-luap

Any pics to show us? :)

S4G4N, BackwoodsGaming and Whippets like this.
  16. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I've kinda been quiet... Soooo... Is it done yet? :p *hides*

S4G4N likes this.
  17. S4G4N

S4G4N

This is a shot of a small Norse / Viking type village.
    All the ground textures used here are the ones that ship with the package.

I am almost done with the scene, busy adding the grass and trees

All these toons are from the Asset Store
    AllSky for the skyboxes

Lets just pretend he is an uhm... short viking ok :D

Cheers
    Cobus

18. BaxtardWorm

BaxtardWorm

beautiful I am preparing the ground for osptirare your houses can not wait to arrive hehe

19. S4G4N

S4G4N

20. S4G4N

S4G4N

OK !!! What you all been waiting to see

NB!!!
    - Trees >>> not my own, they from https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/725
    - Props >>> from my own Village Interiors https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/17033
    "Props Package" is one of the items on the road map of FREE updates
    - Grass >>> added and included with v1.0 of Exteriors package (simple but effective ones)
    - Skybox >>> https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/10109

If you do not have the Village Interiors Kit yet, go grab it, for this is the super companion for it :):):)
    Just imagine, you walk up the door and open it to reveal the inside, no load-times, just walk right in.
    You can choose to use the included see-through windows and all just comes to life so much more.

Don't you just love the way the overhang houses worked out ? Nice storage space underneath those overhangs.

Both FPS and Top Down working out really well for me

Cheers
    Cobus

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  21. Teila

Teila

Looks very nice, Cobus! Can't wait to get started. :)

smada-luap and S4G4N like this.
  22. Whippets

Whippets

Damn that looks good . What version of Unity is that? Actually image 3 is incredibly good.

S4G4N likes this.
  23. smada-luap

smada-luap

What's the size of the terrain area you've put the houses on? Just trying to get a sense of the size of the whole area :)

S4G4N likes this.
  24. S4G4N

S4G4N

@Teila
    Thanks :) nice to see the final results looking so good in a game like scenario and not just shots of individual props

@Whippets
    Unity 4.3.4 uhgm... Diffuse only (forgot to click/check on before taking them)
    Shows you what good texturing can do :);)

@smada luap
    75m X 75m only

Cheers
    Cobus

Whippets likes this.
  25. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Wow!!! Looking AWESOME!

S4G4N likes this.
  26. Whippets

Whippets

lol, so some normal maps, GI lighting, and modern shaders should really add a kick.
    I'm sold already.

27. smada-luap

smada-luap

I would have guessed 100m x 100m :D

Still, seeing the results you got here, it's making me have other thoughts on what I want to do now, and how I want to go about doing it. The idea of one all-encompassing large terrain may now be out the window :D

S4G4N likes this.
  28. Whippets

Whippets

As a vignette it works beautifully, and easy to surround with "impenetrable" forest. Very GuildWars1.

S4G4N likes this.
  29. S4G4N

S4G4N

@smada luap @Whippets

Many very successful games does smaller zone.
    everyone do not have to build GIANT open worlds.

Smaller carefully crafted zones really works well, easy to add more, easy to swop out and remove, less processing power needed, lots of benefits

30. smada-luap

smada-luap

I think I've been too ambitious in my ideas :) especially considering it's my first foray into game making and it's just me doing it all :)

S4G4N and Whippets like this.
  31. Whippets

Whippets

Ditto @smada luap - though stay ambitious, just reign-in every so often as needed. I've cut back in certain areas, but still steering straight towards a first outing mmorpg. Brass neck, thick skin, mule-like stubbornness, all traits that will help you win XD

S4G4N likes this.
  32. nosyrbllewe

nosyrbllewe

FYI, the links to the assets are all the same. Though, this does look really great. Excited for release. :)

S4G4N and Whippets like this.
  33. Whippets

Whippets

lol well spotted

S4G4N likes this.
  34. S4G4N

S4G4N

@nosyrbllewe oops :)
    Thanks for that, fixed now, much appreciated

35. Wylaryzel

Wylaryzel

Hope the fantastic pics mean that the promotion material is done and you're going to hit the submit button :)

Currently I'm more or less finished with testing and utilizing TerrainComposer - now placement of villages can take place.

BTW - sorry for a bit of derailing the thread but it seems that here are a bunch of similar minded people -> Has anyone a good asset available for trees (which would work for mobile as well) and a water asset which support rivers and oceans?

S4G4N likes this.
  36. S4G4N

S4G4N

@Wylaryzel

Good question, since these Exteriors need both those and many users here I think will give feedback on that.

I can not speak for myself, but many users prefer Speed Tree products, I saw a selection of mobile versions in their product catalog, but let's wait and see other reply who have more experience :);)

37. Teila

Teila

I like Speedtrees but for Unity trees, try the Big Environment Pack. Pack 1.5 is the best for trees but all of his packs are good.

For water..I still have not found the perfect water. Suimono is good but it has bugs that cause it to not work well with image effects. If you don't mind a scuzzy foam look to your water, it works. I found this to be unacceptable. The developer is great and he is fixing the issue but it will take time. I would wait to buy it until the fixes are in.

Water4 looks okay, but performance is not great and it doesn't seem to change with the light, which is needed if you want day and night in your game. I am using it as a placeholder until something new comes in or Suimono is fixed.

There isn't a lot of competition with water. The one that Cobus uses did not work well at all for a river. It simply does not scale well and no matter what I did with the sliders, it did not look like river water.

S4G4N likes this.
  38. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I'll echo the recommendations @Teila made. I like Philipp's trees from the Big Environment Packs. They at least give you some variety to start playing around with. I picked up some of the Speedtrees that were on sale when they first started releasing them, but then ran out of money for my project. I have yet to use them but from screenshots that I've seen folks post in one of the groups I'm involved with, I'll probably start switching. The only things I'm not sure about is use for mobile since my project is looking for more realistic look and feel. Being developed for PC and maybe eventually Mac/Linux/consoles.

I'm also using Suimono for water. But the fact that all of his code is in unityscript instead of C#, I'm watching for other options. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of options out there that are as feature rich. So I might find myself sticking with Suimono. All in all it is a good product with a dedicated developer. Like a lot of products, it just has some hiccups. :)

S4G4N likes this.
  39. smada-luap

smada-luap

Part of my issues I had with using terrains before was what to do if/when the user got to the edge of the map. I now think I've got a solution that'll keep me happy - I just need to wait until I'm back in front of my pc tomorrow :)

Also, now that I know how to build add ons to the terrain toolkit, I can add in little extras which will save me some development time and fit in with what I want to do (assuming that what I want to do works :D )

40. Whippets

Whippets

I like Speedtree too, but I see that forst's trees work really well (used in Cobus's pictures above). As far as water goes, I'm using water4 until I can find something better. Large expanses of water like sea and lakes require a nice surface with foam edges, with or without waves, and good cloudiness when swimming under the surface. Streams and rivers just need a good splined surface so that flow is directional. Is there anything that does all this well? So far, no.

41. Teila

Teila

On a small terrain, any tree works great, if you can get the shaders to work with the lighting in Unity 5. :) On a large world, performance and good LOD's make all the difference. So for a smaller world in U4, BP1 is the best. For a larger world, I would test out some Unity trees and compare them to the free sample pack from Speedtree.

I get much better performance. I did notice though that the Speedtree fir trees were not as well optimized as the leaf trees. I think removing a few colliders might help.

42. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Gorgeous shots Cobus - can't wait :)

I am a big Speedtree fan - i have done a bunch of video's on what you can do with them if anyone is interested. My sense with SpeedTree is that as Unity 5 matures, they too will mature and some of the teething issues will soon become non issues - there are also some simple things you can do to make them work much better with your scene.

Whippets, BackwoodsGaming and S4G4N like this.
  43. Teila

Teila

I would love to see your videos!

S4G4N and smada-luap like this.
  44. Frogger007

Frogger007

I love to work with your new asset in combination with the 'Village Interior Kit' asset !

S4G4N likes this.
  45. smada-luap

smada-luap

Me too. Not really thought about trees yet so any hints, etc would help :)

S4G4N likes this.
  46. S4G4N

S4G4N

@Frogger007
    It has been a long road planning and developing, but is all coming together now.
    It is going to be great to see all the creations from everyone.

Like I said on an earlier post, users like yourself can do like specific styles designs ans in your choice of roof ends, roof materials, and then between the 6 wall textures tat v1.0 ships with.

Then can choose to do one texture per building, so the newer plaster only, or split is some wood, or some stone.

Will be able to build 100 000's of combinations.

Cheers
    Cobus

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  47. Frogger007

Frogger007

I create my terrains with the TerrainComposer, some trees are included

S4G4N likes this.
  48. Teila

Teila

I want it NOW!!

(oops, did I say that out loud?) :oops:

BackwoodsGaming and S4G4N like this.
  49. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Here are a couple of links - naturally they would be much cooler with Cobus's exterior packs ;)

50. S4G4N

S4G4N

@Frogger007
    Oh, that is cool, so Terrain Composer ships with it's own trees.
    That is great

Cheers
    Cobus