Search Unity

3D Tile system - feedback please

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Dominicjan, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Dominicjan

Dominicjan

Hi!

I made this little 3d automagic tiling thing.
    Here is a quick preview:

goo.gl/2EEENa

Basically I just wonder If it would make sense to develop it more to sell it on the asset store.
    Also I made this because I needed such a system and just could not find a similar thing on the asset store. But maybe it's already there?

What I have now is a fully functional tile system, that is based on a 3d array of blocks.
    There is navigation, left mouse adds a block, right mouse substracts a block.
    The premise is - some default blocks will be supplied but I just want developers to easily make their own sets of blocks in an external 3d application, and just use this system to arrange them nicely.
    The system is intelligent - you can define as much unique blocks per theme, as you want.
    The video displays how this looks with around 20 uniqe defined blocks, optimum is about 80 per block type - you would get best results with that: kinda maybe like this

The tiles used now are quite ugly - they are just used for debug, I should have nicer ones at some point.

The ways I was thinking I could improve this are:
    adding save and load,
    adding minecraft like chunk support (kinda big thing)
    adding export to obj functionality.
    being able to paint with multiple block types (themes)
    symmetry
    random generation
    optimisation - right now entire geometry is being deleted and made anew with every click - which will prove catastrophic on large chunks.

Things that I will not do with this for sure are :
    Make this thing run while in editor - not in play mode. Looked into it. Not gonna do it.

I would be very greateful if you could tell me
    what other features do you think could be awesome enough for you to throw money at this?

Cheers

Dom

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  2. carking1996

carking1996

1) Don't use 'plx'
    2) It's telling me I gotta sign in to view the video

3. Dominicjan

Dominicjan

sorry for that.

4. 1Piotrek1

1Piotrek1

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  5. Dominicjan

Dominicjan

thanks, that obj exporter looks impressive, but why use it on the android. thanks for the execute in edit mode stuff, Not sure if I've seen that thing... Im also using this for a game, actually I always wanted to have that kind of tool, I spend a large portion of my life doing the thing that script now does for me

6. 1Piotrek1

1Piotrek1