Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Wii Remote in Unity Indie with WiiFlash and U3DObject

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by JeffW, Jan 22, 2010.

1. JeffW

JeffW

hi,

I have seen some options in this forum to use the Wii remote with Unity - such as the UniWii plugin,
    but they all seem to require Unity Pro.

I just uploaded a video demo, which shows that you can get the Wii remote and Nunchuck working
    in Unity Indie, without the need of a plugin. You can do this by using WiiFlash and U3DObject.

WiiFlash consists of a server and a library (both for Mac and Windows),
    and U3DObject lets you communicate between a Flash and a Unity file through the browser in which you embed them.

Here's the link to the video, which first shows a simple demo and then the FPS_Tutorial.

Although I didn't use a sensor bar in these examples, WiiFlash does support up to 4 ir points.

The short video just shows that it is possible, it does not explain how to do it. If you like I can clean up and upload the example project :),

Jeff.

2. yangmeng

yangmeng

An example project would be great!

3. Theformand

Theformand

This is most excellent!

I would love an example project. Im especially interested in how flexible the coding possibilites are. Can you access whatever data the wiimote transmits?

4. JeffW

JeffW

thanks for your replies. Yes, you can access all the data of the nunchuck and the wiimote (also, there is balance board support, but not yet motionplus support I believe).

I'll upload the project this week, just need some time to clean it up a little :).

5. Theformand

Theformand

After watching your video one more time and ordering my wiimote (arrives tomorrow, yay), i realized there seems to be a slight delay between the wiimote input, and the on screen reaction of your cube in Unity. Is this a product of parsing data through Wiiflash and U3DO? Ive downloaded both, but decided not to look at any of them before having a wiimote to play around with.

Im excited to see how much programming you have to do outside of Unity, as im not really that code savvy :)

6. JeffW

JeffW

@Theformand Sorry for my late reply, but yes, in the video there is some delay between the wiimote and the object - more than when I steer a Papervision3D object within Flash. I didn't really look into to that, but keep in mind though that it will not always be this noticeable, depending on how - to what sort of navigation - you hook up the wiimote. Btw, it also may be caused by some smoothing code that I used.

As promised I have uploaded two example projects. Moreover, I have put together a video tutorial on how
    to make this work, because merely uploading the projects might still leave people without a Flash or Unity background in the dark.

You can find the tutorial and the example projects right here.