Search Unity

Submitting featured content

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by David-Helgason, Feb 2, 2007.

1. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

As you've probably noticed, we updated our Gallery and Demo pages thoroughly. Of course we're still looking for great content for them.

If you want your to be featured, simply mail Tom Higgins (tom@unity3d.com) a few images and a description of what it's all about.

Anywhere from 3-10 screenshots is appropriate. Make them as flashy and varying as possible, and at least 680 pixels wide; the larger the better (their aspect ratio can be anything reasonable, and we automatically scale them down and convert them to .jpg). A web player (preferrably) or different executables are also cool. So are good gameplay videos.

d.

Edit: this post has been updated to have folks write Tom Higgins ("HiggyB") instead of David. :)

2. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

We are also constantly looking for high resolution screenshots to be used for printed handouts and posters. If you're interested in this please use the attached script and send screenshots to "ethan (at) unity3d (dot) com".

(Please don't post these massive screenshots to the forum ;) )

[Edit] C# version from Jashan and JS update to correct a possible error.

Attached Files:

3. degeneration

degeneration

Cheers guys, Got a good 8196x8196 and a 8196 x 4096 grab! Although I did notice it didn't capture any GUI stuff.

4. talbet

talbet

This is exactly what I need. However, when I run this I get an image filled with black pixels and a small screenshot in the bottom left.

Looking at the script I notice that Camera.targetTexture is 'unity pro only'. Could this be the problem, since I'm using indie?

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

yupp, you can't use render textures with indie

6. talbet

talbet

Thanks for confirmation dreamora.

I managed to get something similar using Screen.SetResolution up to something huge and then resetting it back before the next screen refresh.

7. arbbot

arbbot

Hi,

We have submitted our newest Unity3D Facebook game through the forum and by sending emails to UT but haven't heard back. I guess you are all super busy with Unite 10 preps, but I would like to check with you if you received our submission.

We currently have two Unity3D games publicly available:

Mystery Invaders (forum post)
    S.E.A.R.C.H. (forum post)

Thanks
    -arbbot

8. eboy

eboy

Do my old 19th century styled builinding illustrations qualify for featured content? Please check my website for my various illustrations services. I create old 19th styled builings. Perfect for that cyber punk themed game.

www.erosner.com

9. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

Wow... I realize this is a really old thread, but the screenshot script in it is pretty cool.

I was wondering though if anybody has created a newer one. This one works great as long as your game is based on a single camera setup, but in my game I have a camera that renders the background sky and one that renders the up close stuff. If I capture the main camera, anything that's in the sky camera is captures as weird pixellated blocks of random color.

Anybody know of an updated screenshot taker?

Edit: I've reworked the javascript version a bit to fit my needs a little more closely, though I'm still having some issues. Mosly I'm having trouble with the "topLayerCamera" looking really distorted/pixellated while the ones below it show up just fine. Any tips? I've attached the latest code I've come up with.

Another Edit: Here are some screenshots of what's going on. The garbled bit is from my outer-layer camera, which renders my 3D GUI elements. For some reason that one gets really screwy, while the other one renders just fine.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  10. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

Here's an updated version of the modified script I was working on; it includes two different modes.

If you press the "p" key, it will take one screenshot of your game for each camera in your scene - at screen/window resolution. This will accurately capture each of the layered cameras in your scene together, including orthographic ones, and should properly layer all of them as would be seen in the game.

If you press the "o" key, it will take one screenshot of your game for each camera in you scene - at 4096x2304px resolution. That is 16:9 ratio, just like a 1080p monitor, only higher resolution for print. However, there's a pretty good chance that your shots will look really messed up on some of the cameras in a multiple camera setup. Your best bet for getting a good screenshot with this mode would be to change your setup so that everything is visible from one camera. (This mode works with Unity Free, just download the Indie version of the script).

For the oversized screenshots taken with the "o" key, I chose to limit the res to 4096x2304 because most current and slightly old graphics cards seem to be able to handle it. If necessary however, you can easily change the variables at the top of the script to suit your needs, just be aware that it may overload your GPU's memory capacity and crash your game when you take a couple screenshots. (This mode uses Render Textures and therefore requires Unity Pro, so if you have indie, you'll need to use the Indie version of this script (also attached))

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  11. tonyclifton

tonyclifton

Hello deram_scholzara,

Could you explain to me how I use your ScreenshotTaker? I have no clue at all, lol. I am just getting started with Unity3D and I have no idea what to do with the .js file.

12. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

tonyclifton, just create an empty game object in the scene you want to take screenshots of, then attach the script to it. When you try to take screenshots in the Unity editor with o or p keys, it should save them as PNGs in your assets folder in a new folder called "screenshots".

Also, I suggest reading through this scripting tutorial, since you're a beginner - it's the best introductory javascript tutorial I've seen.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/34015-Newbie-guide-to-Unity-Javascript-(long)?highlight=newbie+guide+javascript

13. tonyclifton

tonyclifton

Thanks for your reply! I will do that! :cool:

14. rajan

rajan

I used following methods, but no use

/System.IO.File.WriteAllBytes(Application.dataPath+ "/screenshots/screen" + System.DateTime.Now.ToString("dd-MM-yyyy_HH-mm-ss") + ".png", bytes);
    //or
    var path = EditorUtility.SaveFilePanelInProject("",
    rt.name + ".png",
    "png",
    "Please enter a file name to save the texture to");
    //var path = EditorUtility.SaveFilePanel("Save texture as PNG","",rt.name + ".png","png");
    System.IO.File.WriteAllBytes(path, bytes);

Thanks in advance.