Unity Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1. Location
    Oregon

Unity 3D vs Blender?

I don't know very much about the ups and downs of both programs, and I juts kinda want to fool around with them. Which one would be better for making games?

2. Location
    Zürich, Switzerland
    The one that suites your personal and project needs better, including funding, features and support
    if you want webplayer, the answer is clear which one you have to use.
    The same if you hate blender as much as many others.

3. Location
    Oregon
    I do not have much experience with this or blender, and I would like it if you would make yourself more clear. I am not making a game to sell or ANYTHING OFFICIAL! I am just fooling around with them to see what I can do. I do know some scripting from fooling around with other programs (scratch, alice, and a game called ROBLOX), but right now I want to know, which program would be better to make games for example if I were making a small RPG or a shooter... I know Blender is good for modeling and animations... but which is better for games.

When you say the answer is clear, do you mean Unity? I have a feeling if I could hear you say this rather then reading it, I could figure out what you mean by your tone of voice. Please tell me the ups and downs for both of them.

4. Location
    Oregon
    I do not have much experience with this or blender, and I would like it if you would make yourself more clear. I am not making a game to sell or ANYTHING OFFICIAL! I am just fooling around with them to see what I can do. I do know some scripting from fooling around with other programs (scratch, alice, and a game called ROBLOX), but right now I want to know, which program would be better to make games for example if I were making a small RPG or a shooter... I know Blender is good for modeling and animations... but which is better for games.

When you say the answer is clear, do you mean Unity? I have a feeling if I could hear you say this rather then reading it, I could figure out what you mean by your tone of voice. Please tell me the ups and downs for both of them.

By the way, I am not a Blender hater, just because the learning curve is steep. I have a will to learn if I put my mind to it.

5. Location
    Bucuresti, Romania
    Blender is a 3D modeler and animation tool. It does have a game engine but the one that works is outdated.
    On the other hand Unity is a game engine with a very strong editor, good documentation base and a very active and helpful community.

My advice to you is to combine both of them if you want to make games. Use Blender for making assets and Unity to make a game. You can use also GIMP to make textures for Blender models (also free) is a great 2D tool as you can see here http://www.gamingo.ro/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8 what you can accomplish with a tablet in one and a half hour of relaxing away from coding
    Programmer and junior artist
    www.gamedesign.ro (an attempt to create a repository of gamedev resources)
    My site www.gamingo.ro (romanian only)
    Facebook group for romanian Unity3D users

6. Location
    NE Ohio, USA
    Creating games with Blender, as of now or any time before, is terrible. That said, it's my favorite 3D content creation app. Although there are lots of nutcases in the Blender community who shun Unity because it's not open source, the two apps do work rather nicely together, and it's the pipeline of choice at my two-person apartment game studio.

7. Posts
    There is no competition between the two, Unity all the way.

8. Location
    Alabama
    I would not recommend using the engine built into Blender. Unity is definitely easier to use. Personally, I use blender for modeling/animation and Unity for putting the game together.

9. Location
    Oregon
    If you just want to make simple games and don't want to take the time to learn complicated scripting then Blender's logic brick editor works quite nicely. The only major flaw I could find in the Blender Game Engine is the physics engine (bullet) which seems to have quite a few bugs. Other than that I think that Blender actually has a pretty good engine. I would also recommend for more serious game development to use Blender and Unity together.

-Dawisch

10. Location
    NE Ohio, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawisch
    If you just want to make simple games and don't want to take the time to learn complicated scripting...
    There's also the caveat that no one else will ever play your game if you make it in Blender. Its distribution capability is nil.

11. Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessy
    There's also the caveat that no one else will ever play your game if you make it in Blender. Its distribution capability is nil.
    Could you elaborate on this? I don't follow.

12. Location
    NE Ohio, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by sybixsus2
    Could you elaborate on this? I don't follow.
    Nobody follows. Check out the last line on this page.

Look at how amateurishly even the most important Blender Game is presented. I am told I can, "Download and Play Yo Frankie! no matter if you’re on GNU/Linux, Windows, or OSX." Yet, I'm on OS X, and have to open Blender to run anything. WTF is a "Crystal Space", to the end user?

This is a system made by Blender nerds, for Blender nerds. It was a waste of time and talent to complete this game.

Don't get me wrong; I love Blender. But it bugs me that developers waste time on this going-nowhere aspect of the app instead of something people can actually use, especially given that the Blender Foundation is doing its best to popularize its app.

13. Location
    Duluth, MN
    You don't need Blender to run YoFrankie, or any game you make with it. It can produce a standalone executable.

Advantages of Blender Game Engine over Unity (Free version of Unity anyways):

Buffer Shadows
    Render to Texture
    Post Process Effects (Via GLSL)
    Node based Materials (If you don't feel like coding GLSL)
    The Model and Animation editor is right there, heh.
    Real time Shape Keys
    In game Sub-D Surfaces
    You can do a lot with just the Brick Editor
    Works on OSX, Windows AND Linux
    In Game Inverse Kinematics (now very fast)

Disadvantages:
    Python is interpreted, so not nearly as fast as Unity's scripting.
    Rather incomplete (Free) Documentation
    Really no built in way of making GUI's.
    No Networking (though there are ways around this)
    GPL Licensing is really blurry as to whether you can distribute your games commercially without distributing source.
    No Web Player

A few of these issues are being taken care of with the Gamekit project, which has a goal of making a more compatably license Blender Game Engine outside of Blender.

It reads .blend files, processes game logic, and can use Ogre or Irrlicht engines. Even runs on iPhone!

http://code.google.com/p/gamekit/

All that being said, I tried the Blender Game route. Then I found Unity which is oh so much nicer to use, even if the free version doesn't support some of BGE's nice (free) features.

14. Location
    NE Ohio, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by loken
    You don't need Blender to run YoFrankie, or any game you make with it. It can produce a standalone executable.
    Right. A standalone executable that flashes a blue and black screen twice and crashes. Impressive!

15. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessy
    Quote Originally Posted by loken
    Right. A standalone executable the flashes a blue and black screen twice and crashes. Impressive!
    Exactly. Before coming to Unity, out of pure curiosity me and my colleagues tested Blenders 'engine', and it worked only on 4 PCs out of 12.

I dont blame Blender, its not what it was made for; its a 3d graphics application, not a game engine. But claiming that the Blender Game Engine is even remotely comparable to a 'proper' package like Unity is unreasonable.

16. Location
    USA
    I use blender to make my models/animations, and then import them to Unity.

Don't use the blender game engine, at this point it is a novelty.
    There are two types of people in the world, people who believe there are only two types of people, and smart people

17. Location
    United States
    i have had some experience with the blender game engine, before i found Unity. heres some comparisons

Blender Game Engine Pros
    Easy to use scripting blocks(no scripting knowledge required)

Unity
    Faster
    Particle Effects
    Terrain System
    Easy to use
    Rated E for Exceptional

RTS Pro Pack
    http://www.gameprefabs.com/products/show/93
    Tower Defense Pack
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y_zckJknJk

18. Location
    Szabadka
    Blender's game engine is only for prototyping. The game Yo Frankie - if I'm not wrong - has to version. The prototype made with Blender Game Engine, and a version made with Crystal Space.

19. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitellama
    (scratch, alice, and a game called ROBLOX)
    A smaller step up from those would be to "all-in-one game maker" software like FPS Creator, Gamestudio or 3D Rad.

Rik

20. Location
    Oregon

Thanks

Okay I think I get the idea...

Unity + Blender Models = A good idea.

Thanks everyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast