Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

EA games is going to use Unity3D

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AnaRhisT, Jan 5, 2010.

1. AnaRhisT

AnaRhisT

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

Its unity, not unity 3d :) Unity 3D is something totally different :)

Also Tiger Woods online potentially uses Unity because its surely an expansion of the iPhone Game, which was done with Unity iPhone

None the less it naturally shows what potential Unity has

3. Mr. Foxer

Mr. Foxer

Tiger Woods? ...
    EA makes horrible games. Would be better if it was Medal of Honor. Also it is Unity3D, there is a direct link.

4. ryanzec

ryanzec

The name of the product Unity. The only reason the website is unity3d.com is because unity.com was already taken.

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

Unity 3D is a custom 3D render technology developped by the devs of World War 2 Online and is a fully inhouse only technology. I highly doubt they use it as that technology just reached "2007/2008" technically, especially as Tiger Woods on the iPhone uses Unity iPhone.

The technology here is Unity, its just and only the domain thats Unity 3D actually. See above in the title bar of your browser or the fat logo + name banner at top left.
    Its also Unity Technologies and Unity Studios, not Unity 3D Technologies and Unity 3D Studios :)

Just because news writters (Corey Rollins) are messing it up and others are copy-pasting the errors, that does not mean that they are correct.
    In that case its kind of bad though as the tagging in blogs and twitter unhappily is just as wrong, so it won't be found and brought in direct relation due to it

So bottom line: thanks to unity.com blocking the domain there is a lot of name messing as people take the domain as its name :)

6. defmech

defmech

They actually mentioned this on Morning Edition today. It's apparently news due to Tiger's endorsements being in jeopardy.

7. Dreamora

Dreamora

kind of interesting how that resurfaced again after over 3 months yeah ...
    EA knows how to milk shot cows

8. Marv

Marv

Wasn't this also part of Unite09's keynote?
    (still the only video available by the way...)

http://unity3d.com/support/resources/unite-presentations/

I'm not much surprised by the game being possible with unity but by EA's choice to commit to Unity. A good choice of course but EA can be a bit stubborn in terms of game engines.
    I've played more then one of their games thinking they went with the Unreal Engine just because they knew it. But then again EA has changed a lot in the last year or so.

I think it's also a good sign for everybody developing in Unity because that way publishers are getting to know the engine and that might make it easier to show working prototypes and get them interested.

9. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

I believe it has a lot to do with being able to use the same engine to develop for different platforms.

At the keynote, they spoke about having a persistent identity throughout multiple platforms.

10. mortalhuman

mortalhuman

Words right out of my mouth! I watched the presentation a while back, it was very informative and I have to give it to EA for being bold.

About that;

It is scary if you think about it the wrong way, the whole 'future consumers' 'quick spurts in line' thing.

It's really more about a spreading or growing market than a changing one, though, and he wasn't very clear about that when he explained mobility and rapid gaming :twisted:

EA is big though, and when they speak, you just have to listen. And while he didn't emphasize *as much* the growth of the gaming market vs as much as he talked about the 'changes', the gist is still really just that more 'types' of people are getting into games and while they are here, you gotta capture them or gaming will lose them, so there are innovations to fit those new casual gamers' lifestyles and be able to stay there with them.

His talk was really about taking as much care to reach that new attention span while it is still short and developing with things that new audience wants, as much care as goes into innovating the games gaming always was until this last 8 or 10 years, then these last 3 years were really big, especially 07.

Got to keep that momentum going, unless "we're" (I can't call myself in the industry now) happy with how big it is without the bumps in the numbers from the active control crowd (wii mote, ddr, band games) and accessory gaming (cellphones, pod people, psp)

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

Cartoon network, not cartoon networked..
    FusionFall, not FusionBall..
    Unity, not unity3d.. -.-

And nice :D

12. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Yes, and well before that EA's engineers blogged about using Unity for this as well. There is zero relation between their iPhone game and the web game (translation: their iPhone game isn't made with Unity iPhone :( ), they wanted the best tech to bring Tiger Woods online and for that they chose Unity! w00t!

Whatever folks think about EA isn't the big point, the big point is that even companies that can choose whatever tech they want (price not an issue), or that could in theory roll their own, are now looking to us the the way to go for online interactive 3D content, and that's a very good thing.

We're all about bringing the best tech to everyone, from individual indies on up to the "big dogs" like EA.

13. krabbo

krabbo

I'm not so sure about this. :eek: At least in the area of support for advanced users. Admittedly some improvements in the latest releases have gotten Unity closer to being able to do what it says it can. :D Unity has a simple, flexible, easy to learn and powerful shader language as well as a beautiful, instinctive editor...(these are the things we love about Unity as well as the ability to extend the editor, customize the build pipeline, and now embed your own custom application icons) :) :)

...but without Occlusion culling, PVS, portals, BSP and Octrees, it'll never be an MMO engine. The terrain system really suffers from this in a bad way and we've tried every which way short of virgin sacrifice to get some optimzation out of the terrain. :p It would be to Unity's benefit to look at the NeL engine. Specifically their terrain engine. :) We've been thinking of integrating the NeL terrain engine on our own and have made some modest headway. 8)

Regarding Fusion Fall as an MMO. It is not Unity out of the box. It's only been since 2.6.0 that some of the features of Fusion Fall have been introduced. Fusion Fall is a 2 button mouse game which is not typical MMO. Networking gets out of sync really fast; people run around with no weapons in their hands. This is in Fusion Fall and the Unity Network Demo.

As far as EA goes, Tiger Woods is not a complex game. The model stands there in a static position and swings a golf club. If you want a full 3D customized avatar running around, engaging in combat in a virtual world, Unity is not going to get you there without some sort of Scene Management and stopping ignoring memory leak problems like setpixels. (we offered you the solution for it with our colour engine, you declined but the offer still stands). :)

When Unity strives to make the engine quality match the editor quality, then they will have the best product, hands down. We hope you will work towards this quickly because we don't want to switch. 8)

With the ability to extend Unity's editor we now have our own cut scene editor. What we would like is to have content like this in our game. (Note the shadows) :)

And have it run silky smooth as it would in NeL.

14. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Did I say we're perfect yet? Did I say we're done with everything? No. Nothing in what you said changes or affects or disproves my statement. Yes, we think Unity is an incredible tool as it is today. But yes, we also think that there's a LOT more that can and needs to be done. Whatever you feel about where we are today doesn't dissuade us from our mission of trying to bring the best technology to all developers, large, small and in between.

15. Marv

Marv

Honestly, I prefer a not so perfect tool that comes from a committed developer that knows it's weaknesses over one that has worked well for some time and what you get on day one is more or less the way it will stay.

I don't wont to point fingers but there's plenty of engines out there that don't get even closely as much developer attention than Unity, and they got my money anyway... :?

It's also why I'm still amazed by my 1st generation iPod Touch. It's 3 years old but the device itself has changed so much and is now way more worth to me than for what I actually bought it for.

16. AnaRhisT

AnaRhisT

Atleast for me, Unity is perfect.

17. krabbo

krabbo

Yes, Unity is great. I said as much and went as far as pointing out the many features we like. There is no argument that as a casual game engine it's one of the best.

In my post I presented information advanced developers who come looking for an MMO engine may find useful so they know what to expect both good and lacking. And even offered once again a fix for an age old unity problem as well as a place to look for great things to add. To me and them this is a positive thing. :D

18. llde_chris

llde_chris

People only complain because they really want to use Unity, and the lack of common built-in scene management is a rather unusual and glaring omission when it comes to complex environments.

It's possible to work around it, but we really shouldn't have to.

19. Dreamora

Dreamora

You will always have things that are not present, because you have personal preferences.

Thats why Unity is that great, it offers you a very flexible and expandable editor to implement what you are missing.

20. llde_chris

llde_chris

Scene management is most efficiently done as part of the render path, and is present in nearly all major engines both commercial and open-source, except for Unity.

It's a bit trite to relegate it to personal preference; you don't see the large indoor levels in Unity that otherwise make up the majority of mods on most other engines because of this missing optimization.

The frustration is that this feature is already available on the iPhone, making the wait for a desktop port seem all the more long.

21. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

There's nothing stopping you from making large indoor levels in Unity that run nicely...while it's not as immediate as having built-in occlusion culling, it's also pretty simple to write a portal system using triggers or some other method. (I've done this in fact; I'd post it to the wiki except it's currently too specific to the project I made it for.)

This isn't an excuse for UT to sit back and do nothing ;), but it's also worth not falling into the trap of thinking "if it's not built-in, it can't be done". Unity is supposed to be flexible and extensible; might as well take advantage of it, even if there are still a few holes in that area.

--Eric

22. krabbo

krabbo

Our sentiments exactly.
    Agreed. And even more so of the terrain. We purchased Unity when it was marketed as an evolving MMO engine, back before it was found to be marketed as a casual engine, therefore our expectations proved to be unrealistic.
    Yes, frustrating..

23. llde_chris

llde_chris

24. Quietus2

Quietus2

My concern has always been that as Unity (as a company) grows and becomes more successful they'll forget their roots. I've started to notice this feeling creeping in recently, as it seems the big money players are the ones driving the development of the package.

There are many long-standing issues that seem to remain unresolved that are important to us, but not particularly to EA or CartoonNetwork.

Take the master server and apparent critical bugs in Unity's networking as a prime example.

The master server has been in beta for a year yet still suffers from critical stability issues. Dead silence on the issue from Unity. Individuals have identified several critical bugs in Unity's networking code related to allocating networkID's yet there is a stunning silence from Unity even as people just about beg for answers in the forum. If it were EA and not xyz on the forum asking Unity to address the issues, would there be action?

Having things like that which are dysfunctional yet touted on the front page as a fully functioning integral part of Unity, seems to me more GarageGames than what I expect from Unity.

Yes we've received amazing things, such as asynch loading, asset bundles and whatnot from the big players, but throw a bone to us little guys once in awhile. Stop ignoring the core networking problems. Give us the ability to declare 2d arrays in javascript for crying out-loud.

All I ask is as the parking lot at Unity HQ fills up with shiny new corvette's and bentley's, don't forget about us little guys who gave you $1500 when you were a much smaller company.

25. hogus

hogus

Agreed on the networking. I've been watching those threads for months. Even mentioning those issues causes a ringing dead-silence.

That was partly why I decided not to upgrade to Unity-Pro from Indie regardless of all the special deals. An application must first deliver on what it promises before more promises are made.

26. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

None of the three founders own cars, two of them don't even have driver's licenses. Beyond that, most of our company rides bicycles, we don't own any helicopters, we all still tend to couch surf when we visit each other and you can be sure we're not going to forget our roots. If we were forgetting our roots, would we ever have done something like Unity Free? No. ;)

And please remember, all this chatter about missing features, we are at version 2 and that's still very early in any product's life cycle. So please, sit back, enjoy Unity for what it does offer you in terms of built-in features as well as flexibility and know that we continue to work very hard to improve our tool for everyone! :)