Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Decompile Unity Games

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Varden, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Varden

Varden

Can unity games be decompiled?
    I know this can be done with flash games.

Either way, can someone point me to some info on the security of the games?
    I am especially interested in if people can extract code (rather than graphics and sound) from either web, EXE and mac executable files. Are any of these less secure?

If you can decompile and security is a 'slight' issue, does anyone have a method to make games more encrypted?

Thanks in advance.

2. Quietus2

Quietus2

3. absolutebreeze

absolutebreeze

Any computer program can be decompiled.

The best way to secure a nity app - is to keep the logic and control mostly server side - and just use the web player/client as a little as possible.

It's a complex subject, and there are a few threads around that discuss it.

4. Varden

Varden

Looking at the link you provided, it seems it just covers the security of 'in game' variables.
    However, is there not an official document on the security aspects of compiled Unity games?

I want to know what has been done, if anything, to secure these compiled files.

5. Quietus2

Quietus2

I guess you didn't get a chance to read the last 7 or so pages of the thread. It starts getting interesting around page 2 or 3 and covers in-depth just the topic you're asking about.

6. Varden

Varden

Page 7
    you said this:
    Really there aren't any options at the moment. If you distribute a stand-alone game just accept the fact that you're essentially distributing your game's source code along with it, retrievable with literally just two clicks.

then benblo puts
    don't waste your time trying to prevent decompiling.

Then someone from Unity says they are thinking about making it harder to decompile.

Then an engineer on page 8 or 9 kind of denies any need to make it harder to decompile.

Am I to assume the outcome is you can STILL decompile any Unity game VERY EASILY?
    And as you said, they have had 9 months or more on this issue.

Simply this:
    Has any work been done to make it harder to decompile the executable files?

p.s. I am not a programmer, but need to provide this info to a client. I need to say ' Unity uses (this) to make it harder for decompilers to strip all the code out of the project and (this) was introduced in version (?)'

Thanks in advance.

7. Varden

Varden

Am I to assume nothing has been done to stop decompiling and it's a simple job to decompile any Self executable unity game?

If so, this is very bad for Unity HQ. It will affect my clients ability to sign on the dotted line. Which ultimately, affects us all.

Will anything be introduced?

8. Dreamora

Dreamora

We will know if anything will be introduced when they announce the plans for the next release / Unity 3.0. UT does not throw around with plans of what they do until they know it will happen, especially not publically.
    For "intermediate estimates on what might be comming", the user wish system is a good place to often start.

At the time, if you do standalone, you might just want to use one of the dozen protection solutions like molebox etc

Law is there to protect you, protection solutions are ultimately only to prevent kiddos and noobs from just breaking stuff. Any dedicated cracker gets a laugh at anything you could throw at him obfuscation wise, independent if you are planning to pay little to nothing or if you are planning to pay grands per title.

9. CarlLydon

CarlLydon

kishsolanki likes this.
  10. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Reviving 7 year old threads to promote your product is pretty lame

11. jin38895

jin38895

Can I reverse engineer games made in unreal engine or other game engines in unity?

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

Of course you can. Play the games and figure out by yourself how they were made.

Joe-Censored likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.