Search Unity

getting intellisense while writing C# unity scripts

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by firas darwiche, Jan 23, 2007.

1. firas darwiche

firas darwiche

hello all,

any idea on how to get intellisense and syntax checking while writing C# unity scripts, most probably in an external editor such as Mono Develop or Visual Studio.Net if not possible inside unity.

thanx.

2. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Some people are using X-develop for this.

http://www.omnicore.com:80/en/xdevelop.htm

It runs on OS X and you can supposedly point it to the Unity engine .dll (found inside the /Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/build/UnityEngine.dll, possible others for completeness) and your project .dll's (found inside your PROJECT FOLDER/Library/ScriptAssemblies/*.dll).

3. jeremyace

jeremyace

I am 99% sure you can set it up in VS.net too using the .dll that David mentions, but I can't help you find out how.

-Jeremy

4. MatthewW

MatthewW

I use Visual Studio for Unity C# coding with full auto-complete/intellisense (.NET classes, Unity classes, and my own classes). It's super-handy.

Create a new C# project and do Project->Add Reference, then Browse tab and point it to a copy of the UnityEngine.dll file. That's pretty much it.

There are some fancy things you can do with symlinks to avoid having all of the .csproj/.sln/.suo files ending up in your Unity assets folder, but it isn't a requirement of the setup. I also created some Visual Studio templates for my own boiler-plate class, a singleton/manager class, and others. The great thing about the VS templates is it sets the class name/filename and everything for you too.

I would actually code in JavaScript if there was an editor available with autocomplete for built-in/custom classes. I'd rather use a more verbose language with the crutch than a simpler language without. If only Unity had an editor comparable to http://www.flashdevelop.org/ for Actionscript (a great open-source standalone editor with full class completion)...

5. firas darwiche

firas darwiche

thanx a lot guys for the very useful and time saving info.

are you alternating between windows and os x as you develop under VS and Unity constantly transferring files.

6. MatthewW

MatthewW

7. firas darwiche

firas darwiche

interesting, really interesting. but where are your project files residing, on which machine, the windows or the os x machine?

8. MatthewW

MatthewW

The project files are all on the Mac (I use Windows sharing on the Mac, and mount my home directory as a drive letter on the Windows box).

9. Randy-Edmonds

Randy-Edmonds

I use xdevelop (on the mac of course). Works great. Offers better code completion than any other IDE (or text editor) that I've tried.... and I've tried them all.

Although if I could use Visual Studio on my mac I would. ....theres another reason to get a new MacBook!

10. Randy-Edmonds

Randy-Edmonds

...I set a project reference to UnityEngine.DLL, but I don't set references to the script assemblies. Instead I just have the xdevelop project saved in my Unity's "workingassets" folder and have all my C# script files in the xdevelop project.. and then I simply use xdevelop as a text editor (I don't use it to compile anything).

11. StarManta

StarManta

12. thylaxene

thylaxene

so is X-develop worth it's 499 USD asking price? Just curious.

cheers.

13. jeremyace

jeremyace

Yeah, I do the same. I edit code with VS, and network save the files on my mac. All you have to do is hit command r on the mac to reload. Works really well.

Thanks for the how-to on adding the reference.

-Jeremy

14. Randy-Edmonds

Randy-Edmonds

Is it that expensive? I bought version 1.2 about a year ago for something like $150 (they had some special going). I find the intellisense feature to be almost invaluable... however $500 is probably too much considering that most of its features aren't going to be used when only using it for Unity.

Omnicore should come out with a stripped down "lite" version made specifically for Unity.