Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity looks great. Too bad....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by D1NG0, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D1NG0

D1NG0

So I have a small group of 12 or so guys lined up to start working on a project. Blitz3d is getting old and unity looks great. Now I'm going to quote the website.

Ironically we have 12 PC's sitting in this room and not a single mac. Simply put you guys need to port unity to windows. Having a multi-platform capable tool that doesn't run on multiple platforms is just bad design.

Maybe its about time unity opens itself to the 98%+ of us who don't have a mac and aren't willing to refill an entire studio with macs just to use unity.

One of our animators works at eA games Vancouver and even there its hard to find a mac...

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

This has been discussed to death. There are good reasons, and you don't have to "fill your studio" with Macs; just for the people doing the actual programming, which typically is the minority.

--Eric

3. Lallander

Lallander

There are lot's of windows apps I would love to see ported to mac. Games also for that matter. You don't see me hitting up their forums tho do ya? Ok maybe for Uru Live, but thats just wrong there is no mac version.

4. Sync1B

Sync1B

This has been brought up a lot, and if your studio cant change then unity probably isn't a product for you. I can never stress enough how much unity is apart of the Apple line of thinking. Ease of use and ingenuity are written all over this bad boy and it is really apart of the mac experience.

Of course changing your studio all over to macs is unreasonable and expensive. I am sure OTEE is fully aware of what percentage the of the market the PC takes up.

Yes, unity would sell more units but for now it seems OTEE's goal is not to make as much money as possible. If it was im sure they would have developed for the PC originally. How ever It seems that there goal is to create unbelievable software thats puts the tools back in the developers hands at a next gen level. And they seem to have decided that they could best achieve this on a mac platform, and they were right.

Maybe I am just a game developing mac using hippie but its not about the money man, its about the experience.

I am sure I have just started some lengthy debate about the superiority of the Macs or PCs, but as you say, simply put, I am tired of hearing about stats and how much money is available. If you want this piece of incredible software and others, it seems that you might want to think about investing in a mac. If thats out of the question then Unity is out of the question - can we stop bringing this topic up now?

Bill

5. thylaxene

thylaxene

please don't respond to the troll.

peace to all.

cheers.

6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

There will be soon though. (As long as you have an Intel Mac, anyway.)

--Eric

7. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Thanks Bill, you're right in that it's not necessary to switch an entire studio from Windows to Mac to use Unity: starting with just one or two low to mid-range Macs is plenty good, and exactly what a lot of companies and individuals are doing.

As for the rest, I wouldn't put it quite so harshly: we actually do care (a bit) about money, and we aren't at all negative towards PCs.

d.

PS. Thanks to all those who abstained from heated arguments against (and for) Windows: this is just software we're talking about ;)

8. taumel

taumel

I think it's a valid and understandable question for those who enter the site for the very first time as this is what comes up to your mind if you're using windows mainly which most of the people do.

The rudness towards such questions shows that there are quite some emotions and fears involved.

By the way i also ask win-developers if they could port their apps to osx. I don't see any negavite in this. Both sides (dev as users no matter if they're on win or osx) benefit from this. Crossplatform availability for software is great for most of the people. Confessed the zealots loose... :O)

9. marty

marty

Every time one of these threads pops up, I can't help but wonder to myself why this is such a big deal.

Here's how I see it ...

I mean, Unity Indie is $250 and a Mac Mini is $600. That's $850 total.

Compare this to the closest, comparable development package to Unity, Adobe Director (in my mind) which gives you 3D, a nice GUI editor and Mac/Web/Win deployment, all for a mere $1200 right now.

So, with Unity, you get a seat of the development software plus the hardware to run and test it on, and all for a lot less than what the dev package alone would cost elsewhere (ie. Director).

You can even continue to use all of the applications in your asset workflows (ie. Photoshop, Maya, whatever) on your PC(s).

Seems to me like a pretty good deal.

10. taumel

taumel

@marty
    May i remind you that the publishing options you get from a $1250 director licence and a $250 Unity Indy licence aren't quite the same?!

11. marty

marty

Good point, Taumel.

But I had figured that since those differences only matter for folks raking in more than $100K annually, for most people making their first Unity/Indie title, it shouldn't pose a problem.

12. taumel

taumel

That $100k border doesn't make a difference as you don't get pro if you're below, so it quite doesn't make sense.

By the way Director costs $1250 as you wouldn't want to use it without 3dpi or would you?! ;O)

13. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

I just want to make clear that D1NGO is not me dingo.

thanks.

14. marty

marty

Good point on 3DPI, Taumel. I wonder when Ullala will make the move over to Unity?

I think even Unity Indie is incredible. But you do make a good point there too, the logo requirements of Indie make it all but useless for game deployment. Still, you could always develop with Indie, then buy a single Pro license just before you deploy.

15. Lallander

Lallander

I actually bough a new mac mini just recently spicifically for Uru.

16. RockHound

RockHound

It appears that OTEE is planning to port their editor to Windows, but it may take a while if they are now only in the hiring phase:

...from http://unity3d.com/company/jobs.html

17. taumel

taumel

@marty
    Well, as you know i also bought the mini just for unity (and beeing able to compile blitzmax on osx) and learning the osx world and i don't regret it as i've learnt a lot of things this way but i also still think that it's also not a perfect solution due to different reasons we've discussed here more than once, so i can fully understand why people keep on asking as the reasons aren't quite obvious on the first view.

I'm hungry now... ;O)

18. Sync1B

Sync1B

Didn't mean to come off harsh and certainly didnt want to be rude - just stating observations. I don't think your negative to PC's at all, but I would assume that Unity is on the mac for a pretty good reason when the market certainly isn't here. Thats all I was saying.

Bill

19. D1NG0

D1NG0

From a business point of view there is no way to justify the cost of buying macs (something we never used for development before) just to trial some development tool that may not even suit our needs.

Obviously I was a little stressed yesterday and its true than only 3 macs would need to be purchased. However small businesses these days aren't made of money and we simply cant justify the purchase of macs just to use this program.

Maybe when the windows IDE comes out ill be back here.

Ohh and one more thing. I don't care if my coders prefer mac or windows. They would end up using what the company has. We don't have macs and we don't ever plan on buying macs when every other piece of software we use (maya, 3ds etc) works fine on PC.

20. marty

marty

I always kinda figured they wanted to stay somewhat off the radar while they got all the features in and bugs out. If I'm right, look for 2.0 or thereabouts to make the big splash on both platforms.

21. Lallander

Lallander

If there are indeed plans to port Unity to the Pee Cee side then you will just have to wait. If not then tough cookies. That about sums it up.

22. AaronC

AaronC

D1NGO
    If you want to see a sample result of using Unity, send me an FBX model, (maybe a character with a walk, idle and run cycle) Textures and whatever and I'll build you a webplayer.

PM me, and we'll negotiate, I'm cheap as chips but not quite free.
    AC

23. Randy-Edmonds

Randy-Edmonds

Good luck attracting and keeping top notch coders with that mindset.

24. Randy-Edmonds

Randy-Edmonds

<2cents>If you are interested in using Unity to develop games and are a serious business, you shouldn't be concerned on the choice of hardware/platform... its all about the software. Good programmers are going to (at least in the USA) cost $50+ per hour. A MacBook Pro can be had for $2400, thats about one weeks pay; minimal investment I'd say. Plus giving your coders a new Macbook Pro would make them very happy. </2cents>

25. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Hmmm, no one else is curious about the very clear intention of OTEE to port the Unity IDE over to Windows in the near future (that job listing is pretty clear)? It looks like it's going to happen soon (I'm guessing within 2007, or if they find the right person it could happen by early 2.x).

This is a double edged sword to me. It's great to open up Unity to the rest of the gaming dev community giving OTEE more revenue and hence more development power to make Unity better, but once this happens Unity is going to lose a ton of cachet (or street cred). It's the price of commercial growth I guess, but I'm sure this mac based community will dissolve into incoherency when this happens. The friendly support here that we all love will disappear as the forums are inundated with a myriad of inane and redundant questions that people will get tired of answering over and over. Once that happens this forum will be just like any other software support forum that I've come across... not very helpful. Oh well, such is the price of "success".

But given that, I'd still like to see a Windows IDE... it opens up a LOT of doors that Mac users could still be able to plug into as long as OTEE keeps a level focus over both platforms. Admittedly, every successful piece of software that started on the Mac gets eaten up by Windows centric development eventually, but let's give OTEE the benefit of the doubt for the time being. Here's to hoping the money doesn't go to their heads. I think it's a 50-50 bet right now.

26. jeremyace

jeremyace

Tell that to everyone who had to buy an SGI workstation just to use Flame, or other such tools.

Really, if the software gets the job done, then you will find a way to get it no matter what hardware it requires if you are really serious about making a game.

-Jeremy

27. morgansaysthis

morgansaysthis

to be honest i dont like MACS

i have a G5 and i bought it for music recording and sound design( a hobby i still pursue) and i find there interface anoying, like seprate windows for programs tools like in FLASH and photoshop

to me it seams mac is for people who dont know about computers, it seams like a stair stepper to a real computer

the stock programs work together really well but nothing else does ( except unity)

and mac software is SOOOOO friggin expensive

-sound track and final cut esspecially

so i would love to see a unity for windows, and if that happens

unity will become the next unreal, and i hope i have my pro lisence already before the prices triple :)

28. AaronC

AaronC

morgansaysthis-you are one in a trillion...
    Yeah the windows are annoying, but if your pc had a virus like my pc currently has, you'd feel completely different....

You need to know heaps of things to keep a windows computer working smoothly, for sure, its a technicians nightmare, but that doesnt make them superior...at all...

Mac life is definately a lotmore stable, easier, and reliable. In my experience.
    Does that mean theyre for dummies? Or people who want to be more productive?
    AC

29. Marble

Marble

Wait... Photoshop and Flash are different between a Mac and PC?

Anyway, I'm really worried about Antenna's points. I feel so privileged here, excited to be part of a great thing. It would be really disappointing if OTEE became another opaque face.

:cry:

30. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

That listing is relatively old. I'm sure they would have ported it to Windows by now if they'd had more resources.

As for Macs, OS X is based on Unix. It doesn't get any more real than that. Obviously there's a matter of personal preferences; I personally prefer to use an OS that doesn't insist on constantly annoying me and generally does what I want in a more consistent way instead. Hence I'll never work for a Windows shop if I have a choice in the matter (and I do). If some people can tolerate it, though, more power to them...but a lot of the opposition to OS X is simple lack of familiarity.

--Eric

31. Bampf

Bampf

Silly thing to say. What's more "real" about PCs? The interface? The hardware? There are more similarities than differences on both those counts. Or are you saying Windows is more "real" than UNIX? A nonsensical statement.

You have also insulted me by implying that I don't know about computers. Though I believe that was inadvertent.

People are allowed to prefer one or the other, of course. I prefer Mac. I work with PCs every day though, and have done for 15 years. And my computer experience goes back 25 years. Are you saying I don't know about computers?

I remember similar things being said when the original Mac came out. It's not a "real" computer, it doesn't have a command line. But guess what? All the PC users are using a copy of the Mac interface now.

Let's get back to the original topic. Unity IDE doesn't run on Windows yet. It will one day. It doesn't do any good to get mad about either fact. There are good reasons why it's Mac-only at the moment, and there are good reasons for it to eventually be cross-platform. All discussed previously, just search the forums. In the meantime, it seems odd to me that any serious game developer willing to buy Unity Pro plus whatever other software licenses they need wouldn't be willing to buy a Mac or two. Especially since they'd need at least one Mac anyway for cross-platform deployment.

The main people shut out of Unity right now are Windows hobbyists and very small Indie efforts. Since I fall into this category (on the Mac side) I very much sympathize with them.

Lastly, if this "community" can't survive the porting of the IDE to Windows then it's a pretty sorry excuse for a community.

32. hsparra

hsparra

Seeing how this thread refuses to die I will go ahead and post :) I believe we will eventually see a port but I have no idea when. I can understand why PC users want a port. The friendly support disappearing is more a function of size. Perhaps there is a way to prevent the total disappearance, but Otee will not be able to do it by themselves. Are there any examples of midsize firms that have excellent support/communities, whether that firm produces software or other products?

The position that not immediately starting with the PC market is foolish is a somewhat flawed position in my opinion. From my understanding, the cost of doing business on the PC side tends to be larger per unit than it is on the Mac size. Looking at PC market as one market is not a very good approach. Besides development and support costs, you need to look at the true market that would even be interested in your product, and do not forget the increased marketing costs required, which is not insignificant. The advantage of starting in the Mac market is that you can more easily establish a base from which to support future efforts. Many of the big names on the PC market got their real start in the Mac market and then entered the PC market. Having a base that you can rely on should never be underestimated.

33. Bampf

Bampf

I want to clarify this sentence of mine so it won't taken the wrong way. I DON'T believe we are a sorry excuse for a community. But if we decide to define ourselves too narrowly then we deserve what we will get. It will become a self-fulfilling prophecy. When Windows developers show up, if the smaller community is insular then it probably won't survive.

As the most experienced Unity users we would be valued by the larger community, and we would have some opportunity to set the tone, but only if we don't fall into the trap of defining ourselves too narrowly.

34. MatthewW

MatthewW

First, I made this video for another thread to show how I split Unity development across an iMac and a Windows PC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjfqQCxtfa0 . I think it demonstrates that it's possible to view Unity as an extension of your existing pipeline, rather than needing to replace everything with Mac OS.

Secondly, I agree with the warning about concerns becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy. It seems people are afraid that an infusion of Windows users will bring a lot of negativity along with them. Those posters need to look in the mirror and reread this thread, then, because that negativity is very clearly already here. And it's coming from the users who claim they wish to avoid it...

When Unity's IDE is ported to Windows, there will be a rush of fresh users. These fresh users will probably have a lot of stupid, RTFM questions. To be fair, though, there are a steady trickle of those kinds of questions already being posted today (and the community does a great job of replying with patience and courtesy). I do worry about that patience running thin with a big rush of users all coming in at once.

But, on the bright side, 6 months after its release the newbie crowds will thin, and we'll be left with a few die-hard contributors. These guys (and gals!) will take their turn replying to the should've-read-the-docs questions, posting snippets and solutions to the wiki, and everything else the current crop of gurus are responsible for.

That is, if they aren't ostracized and shunned from the first time they set foot in the forums simply because they're Windows users. If everyone shows a little common courtesy, and the benefit of the doubt, things will turn out just fine in the end. It's common to hear this leveled against non-Mac users: "Just because Unity is only Mac OS doesn't mean you shouldn't consider it--why not keep an open mind?" Some of those same people aren't keeping an open mind. You can't speak against platform prejudice in one breath and endorse it in the next. You shouldn't automatically disregard something simply because it's Windows, just as you shouldn't automatically disregard Unity simply because it's only Mac OS.

35. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Thanks for the thoughtful post Mathew and Bampf. I hope you're right and at least we'll do our best to keep it helpful (and cheerful).

Cheers y'all, Mac users or not.

d.

36. morgansaysthis

morgansaysthis

yeah, no virus's on a mac is a god send, and i love widgets, and macs have some good fetures

its just personally i prefer PCs interface, because thats what i grew up on and im more used to it, i just seem to get frustrated with mac quite often

theres nothing really bad about macs, and if you have two moniters hooked together on one comp being able to separte the tools to each moniter from the main stadge on flash and photoshop would be nice

but i just like PC better, and i have a feeling i wont like VISTA at all so if it does go cross platform, i hope theres an XP version

anywho i hope this dosent turn in to one of those Wii vs. PS3 fanboy duke out threads but over MAC and PC instead

wii rules :)

37. morgansaysthis

morgansaysthis

Bampf

i wasent trying to insult you at all, i dont see how i offended you, i implied nothing of you personaly and i would not do so esspecially considering i have never talked to you before and know nothing of you. and i am in no way trying to enforce my opinions and prefrences on others, i merely stated my own feelings and did not say that anyone should choose PC over MAC. I do not have 25 years of exp. on comupters and dont and havent claimed to know more than anyone

they were just my opinions

please dont take my comments as an insult, i dont mean them to be offensive

38. pete

pete

[macs are for people who don't know anything...] you're in a 99.9% mac preferred forum where many of the members are geeked out programmers (aka game devs and ok don't quote me on the percentage). why would anyone find it offensive? :roll:

well put, matthew. the first post in this thread was simply poorly worded. add to that the above and thus all the huff. unity will always kick and i'd be frustrated too if i couldn't use it ;)

39. Lallander

Lallander

It's not that they can't use it. Its that they refuse to acquire the tools to use it.
    Yeah you can buy a car and travel all over the place. Yes you have to have gas to do so. No you can't use cat litter. I'm sure someone can come up with a better analogy.

40. Sync1B

Sync1B

Can we end on that note. Rofl.

Bill

41. morgansaysthis

morgansaysthis

pete

i badly stated my point

i was refuring to the target advertising of mac and the genral interface that mac uses is geared towards beginners and people who dont use there computers for more than looking at there photos and listening to music

mac is obivoisly capable of professinal work, but what i was trying to convey is that its geared towards begginers unless you have thousands of dollars to buy there software that is not beginers only

and most things that professinals use final cut, sound track, and standard stuff like that is mac only,

i guess a better way to say it is there is no middle ground with macs you either have a mac and thousands of $$$ worth of programs that are industy stadard and high class, or you have a internet,music, and a photo libray

not that that will make any one say "oooohhhhh he's right"

i just wanted to clear up my meaning a since people took offense

but i stand by my statements none the less

geez every ones so touchy on the subject

42. Lallander

Lallander

If we ignore all the open source *nix programs out there, all the wonderful mac free/shareware, all the lower end mac apps, cross platform apps, and the fact that these machines can also run windows for those few programs you might need still, then yeah you are absolutely right.

43. jeremyace

jeremyace

Ok,

1. People have OS preferences. That's fine, whatever. I like both OSX and Win XP because they serve my purposes.

2. Developement software is really expensive on the mac eh? Like final cut, shake, etc? Well I'll tell you what, take a look at Avid's and Discreet's websites for a price on similar software for the PC, like combustion, flame, fire, etc. Kinda high aren't they?

3. It is a waste of time for everyone to sit here having a pissing contest over what OS is better. Each person uses what works for them. That's their choice. Some people like trucks, some like cars or motorcycles. Who gives a damn?

4. If the software serves people's purposes, they will get what they need to run it as has been said. If not, they are not serious enough or they are really small studios. I managed to get Unity and a dual G5 when I had very little money, so if you want it, there is no issue.

I bet this sounds really harsh, but honestly, I am sick and tired of these kind of topics which do no one any good. Everyone has their own preferences. Let's accept it and move on without trying to prove ourselves or the validity of our decision.

It is also a tactless move to come on a users forum telling the devs what they need to do just because it doesn't serve your purposes.

Bashing a company's software design on _their_ forums in front of _their_ clients and potential clients when you haven't even used the software is just wrong. IMO.

Right now, OTEE is moving in the right direction. They are trying to keep everyone happy, which is a very hard job.

Just my 2 cents, take it as you will. Let's end this topic already shall we?

-Jeremy

44. Tibbar

Tibbar

On large communities: 3D GameStudio (Conitec) has a huge German and American support system that has flourished by producing many 3rd party plugins, tutorials, contests, and even a magazine.

A forum system with enough differentiation in topics, moderators who systematically clean up repeat posts, plus a useable wiki with a good FAQ index all could help manage a growing population.

I think the fear of an influx of PC "outsiders" ruining the forum is elitist (and typical) of exclusive Mac users. Why do we desire to exist only as the minority underdog?

45. anachreon

anachreon

taumel

'The rudness towards such questions shows that there are quite some emotions and fears involved.'

-Whose emotions? (Those are question marks, not stressed speech inflections from a 'seeing red' fervent boiling rage).
    The emotions of those that bought WinPCs and got the wrong software.
    Be clear: The only ones 'upset' in any of these discussions are Windows users (hence the need to question someone else's business decision).

taumel

'i can fully understand why people keep on asking as the reasons aren't quite obvious on the first view.'

-And how many Windows apps sites are rummaged by OS X and Linux users to find nothing for them? It's almost become a way of life... Hmm, I wonder why they'd neglect that portion of hungry users? Maybe it's because they don't want to?

D1NG0

'So I have a small group of 12 or so guys lined up to start working on a project. Blitz3d is getting old and unity looks great.'

-More detail please. You mention a 'company' in later posts. Surely you have a website, company cards? Hmm?
    Or is such a large company going to push OTEE over the edge (oops...) and cave in to your demands?
    Hey, maybe you do have a company, and plenty of resources, but those that have stated it clearly.

'From a business point of view there is no way to justify the cost of buying macs (something we never used for development before) just to trial some development tool that may not even suit our needs.'

-From a business point of view? You mean there are no Mac only businesses out there? That's like, wow. No, not really.
    Yeah, I'm not going to test drive that Ferrari 'cos cars cause accidents.
    How many different apps are your guys (...) using, just the one across the board? Unlikely, so who justified the cost of all those apps?

'Obviously I was a little stressed yesterday and its true than only 3 macs would need to be purchased. However small businesses these days aren't made of money and we simply cant justify the purchase of macs just to use this program.'

-S-I-M-P-L-E S-O-L-U-T-I-O-N: Sell the PCs.
    You justified the purchase of the PCs for...what exactly? Well, now you need to do something else.
    A crosshead screwdriver will not undo a flat head screw.

'Maybe when the windows IDE comes out ill be back here.'

-If it happens, we'll still be here.

'Ohh and one more thing.'

-Strange, that sounds oddly familiar...

morgansaysthis

'mac is obivoisly capable of professinal work, but what i was trying to convey is that its geared towards begginers unless you have thousands of dollars to buy there software that is not beginers only'

-Same on the PC side. Exactly the same but for the minor fact that there is more of the same type of software for the PC (larger user base maybe?) which brings in competition from other players. Expensive professional software is expensive on both sides.
    Or is Photoshop cheaper for the PC?

Whatever tool gets the job done. If I want to dev games, I use Unity on the Mac. If I want to type a letter, I can use either.
    Quite frankly, If Unity allows me to target a greater audience by being able to deploy to both platforms, all the better.

That job posting has piqued my curiosity: Cleaning up the PC builds?
    If it is for a Windows build of the the Unity GUI, that's their prerogative. I'd still be able to the the same as I am now. So no biggie.

Cheers,

Luis.

46. pete

pete

morgan - i was just poking fun. ya have to admit this is an odd place to say mac users are this or that.

hmm... i think i might just fire up unity and go make a game about cat litter! :D

47. Marble

Marble

vrooom!

48. morgansaysthis

morgansaysthis

i dont know who turned this into a giant back and forth whos better whos worse war

but if i was a part of doing that, im sorry

one thing i love about unity so far is how unbelevably nice the forum is
    (torque people suck)

but damn.... dont mess with some ones operating system choice cause man youll hear about it :)

i really dont wanna debate whats better or worse, i just wanted to throw in my 2 cents and then i got caught up with defending myself

but now, im out

because come on if you think about it... INSERT ENLIGHTEND WISE STATMENT HERE you know...

49. Lallander

Lallander

Pushta!

*Closes the coffin and walks out.

50. taumel

taumel

@Matthew
    Just watched your video and this was interesting as i didn't knew this tool.

Downsides for individuals still might be the need to have two computers running and at the same time connected via network. On the other side for more professional usage, also for individuals, this could be seen as a plus due to a seperation between test- and dev-machine if you see it from the scripting side outside unity. Anyway thanks for the hint!

Now i wonder how things look beside of the screens... :O)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.