Search Unity

SerializedObject and SerializedProperty

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by tomvds, Dec 22, 2009.

1. tomvds

tomvds

Does anyone have experience using the SerializedObject and SerializedProperty classes? I'd like to make a custom inspector that also exposes properties. As far as I understand from the SerializedProperty reference (http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/ScriptReference/SerializedProperty.html) I need to make a SerializedObject and obtain the properties using FindProperty(name) or GetIterator().

Unfortunately, FindProperty() always returns null and using GetIterator() seems to corrupt things quite badly as Unity crashes as soon as you do something with the returned object.

This stuff is barely documented and seems to have no posts about it, so it's rather difficult for me to see if I'm just misunderstanding something or if the functionality is crippled by bugs.

2. Jessy

Jessy

Nothing good in the Unity 3 documentation, as far as I can tell. Would love some examples.

3. half_voxel

half_voxel

Yeah! Unity Guys, we want more examples!:)

4. pjlbyrne

pjlbyrne

I need to achieve the same end. Have you gotten any progress on this please, tomvds?

5. TheOddworks

TheOddworks

Hey,

I've been struggling with this as well, but just now managed to use it them to change the scale in lightmap value from script.

Don't know if its any help but here it is (sets the scale in lightmap value to 0.9 for the selected object):

Code (csharp):
    1. var so : SerializedObject = new SerializedObject(Selection.activeGameObject.GetComponent(Renderer));
    2. so.FindProperty("m_ScaleInLightmap").floatValue = 0.9;
    3. so.ApplyModifiedProperties();
    link to my question and answer on UnityAnswers

TheOddworks

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  6. TimB

TimB

This is a fairly old post, but I have searched for the solution without coming up with anything. I'd like to make a custom inspector that also exposes properties using SerializedObject and SerializedProperty. I can get it to work if I expose a public field, but properties do not work. Has anyone tried this, or have an example of it?

I can access the property if I cast the editor target to the class I'm editing, but I can't do this within a serialized object.

Thanks

7. half_voxel

half_voxel

Well, properties are not serialized by Unity, so there is no way to expose them using SerializedObject/Property. You will have to do that manually, so to say.

8. Ntero

Ntero

If you put the [SerializeField] on the private backing field of the property you can have a public property and private field behind it but still have it's value modifiable in Inspector. One bad thing is modifying the value bypasses any checks or operations on the property itself.

9. TimB

TimB

At that point I may as well just convert all properties to public fields and figure out another way to do checks. Sounds like that may be the way I have to go. Thanks

10. Razieln64

Razieln64

I'm using reflection and the editorGUILayout class to set properties. It's working fine, except that you need to set the object's instance to dirty in order to save the changes. The only thing I can't do with my solution is multiple editing. Only Serialized Properties work with that.

For that you would need to call :
    Code (csharp):
    1. EditorUtility.SetDirty(target);
    I don't know if you can use popups to set strings values in a component when using Serialized Properties. With my solution it just works.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  11. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

I have been experimenting with this and found that the following undocumented functionality makes it very easy to replicate the built-in inspector window. I am not sure that it is wise to use this functionality, but would be useful:

Code (csharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using UnityEditor;
    5. public class CustomWindow : EditorWindow {
    7.     [MenuItem("Window/Test")]
    8.     public static void Test() {
    9.         EditorWindow.GetWindow<CustomWindow>("Test");
    10.     }
    12.     GameObject activeGO;
    13.     Editor editor;
    15.     void Update() {
    16.         if (activeGO == Selection.activeGameObject)
    17.             return;
    19.         activeGO = Selection.activeGameObject;
    20.         editor = null;
    22.         if (activeGO != null)
    23.             editor = UnityEditor.ActiveEditorTracker.MakeCustomEditor(activeGO.transform);
    25.         Repaint();
    26.     }
    28.     void OnGUI() {
    29.         GameObject go = Selection.activeGameObject;
    30.         if (go == null)
    31.             return;
    33.         // Use the registered editor for `Transform`
    34.         EditorGUILayout.InspectorTitlebar(true, editor.target);
    35.         editor.OnInspectorGUI();
    36.     }
    38. }

12. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

13. gpiper

gpiper

How did you access the property this way? Would you be able to elaborate about casting the editor target? Or send me to documentation about it. Were you able to edit the property in the Unity Inspector in playmode?