Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Over 7 hours of Unity Training Videos - Download them now!

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by busbyj, Dec 16, 2009.

1. busbyj

busbyj

Greetings everyone,

I wanted to let everyone know that I’ve spent the last few nights putting together a quick batch of introductory training videos over Unity. These are more of a “crash course” styled video set, rather than a rigidly structured A-Z style of video you may be used to from 3D Buzz. ;)

These videos do come with a bit of a back story. Lately, I’ve been teaching a small group of students how to work with Unity. Generally one of the first things I did to each student was to have them go through and look at the introductory help that’s included. I then had them watch the videos that Casey Jones (TheLorax here on the Unity forums) put together and posted in this thread. Since all the coding we do is with C#, I then asked my students to reproduce the game using C# instead of Javascript.

I was surprised at how much trouble many of them seemed to have, as well as by the number of questions that they started to send my way. So I figured the best way to help them out would be to create a set of videos that covered the same game that Casey created, with a little bit extra added on to the end for polish.

When they were finished, I realized that there may be many of you out there who could possibly benefit from these videos, especially if you’re looking at Unity development with C#, so I’ve decided to release them here on the forums for anyone who might want to download them.

Now, a word of warning: these videos were produced in a very casual manner that harkens back to the olden days of our training videos. If you’re unfamiliar, that basically means that these videos were recorded very late at night and they’re very “laid back.” That’s not to say that there isn’t focus; far from it. It’s just that among the explanations, we tend to have a little fun here and there, just to keep things interesting. If that kind of environment doesn’t appeal to you, then you may want to consider avoiding these videos. :) I honestly understand that not everyone likes that particular style of training.

Thank you guys very much for your time. Look for some professionally-geared training from 3D Buzz (both free and for purchase) from 3D Buzz in the near future. In the meantime, I hope you find these videos useful!

One last thing: I wanted to send a HUGE thank you out to Casey Jones for developing his proof-of-concept series. He did a fantastic job and his work was a huge inspiration on our end! For those of you that have not seen them, I highly recommend you watch them (see link above)!

Thanks again,

Jason "BuZZ" Busby
    3D Buzz, Inc.

Introduction
    Unity Crash Course
    The Game Object
    Creating our Project
    Creating the Player
    Creating the Player Script
    Player Script Continued
    Creating the Projectile
    Firing the Projectile
    Adding Sound to our Game
    Creating Custom Visual Studio Templates
    Creating the Enemy
    Streamlining the Enemy Class
    Projectile Collisions
    Creating the Explosion Effect
    Putting our Explosion to Work
    Creating a simple HUD
    Increasing Score
    Player Destruction
    Using Coroutines
    Setting up our Menu
    Losing the Game
    Winning the Game
    Drawing New Backgrounds
    Creating a Scrolling Background
    New Player Geometry
    New Enemy Geometry
    Enhancing our Player Spawn System
    Increasing Game Difficulty

And just in case you'd like to follow along, here are the assets:
    Project Assets

Again, I hope you guys find these helpful. Cheers!

2. kheng

kheng

Cool! Good to see you here buzz, and it's awesome that you are making these training videos.

3. artzfx

artzfx

Thanks very much for the generosity, looking forward to checking them out. :D

4. KarelA

KarelA

wohooo busby you rock!!!!!!!

5. rouhee

rouhee

Great set of tutorial! (Nothing new to me thou :( )

And thank you for doing them in C# !!!! We're running little short of them.

Cheers--

6. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

WOW! That's some work.

7. MitchStan

MitchStan

For the past year I've been watching and learning from your training videos on Maya Motion Builder and Houdini.

Now you are doing Unity!

You are the best, man!

Mitch

8. Matroblend

Matroblend

Thank you very much for these tutorials.

9. runningbird

runningbird

thanks for the tutorials.

10. shader

shader

Too kind, thanks :)

11. raydale

raydale

These are great - thanks.

I like the teaching style a lot, you guys know your stuff but keep things informal and interesting.

12. busbyj

busbyj

You guys are very welcome. I'd also like to say thank you to those of you that posted feedback and comments both here and at 3D Buzz. I am happy to hear that a lot of you are enjoying the videos.

If all goes well, I'll have one more free set available before Christmas. I am taking the final project from these videos and moving it over to iPhone Unity. This will allow me to discuss some of the important concepts to keep in mind when creating games for the iPhone with Unity.

Again, thanks guys!

Sincerely,

Jason "BuZZ" Busby
    3D Buzz, Inc.

13. raydale

raydale

Really? That's great!

I have learned more from your videos over the last few days than anywhere else - very thorough.

I just purchased Iphone Unity Basic yesterday and would really benefit from those tutorials.

here's hoping...

14. R2D5

R2D5

The tutorials are the best i have ever seen about game programming. Your style of teaching is very entertaining. Some more Tutorials about Unity with c# would be fantastic.

15. Nickdep7

Nickdep7

Awesome early xmas present thnx

16. mortalhuman

mortalhuman

I'm working through these and they have been *very* helpful on how things link together in the interface. It's almost like nodes without links, if you think about it - but that might sound crazy to someone who knows the rest of the things I have yet to see.

Anyway, thanks for these Buzz, you're the 3D teaching king dude man guy, I'd love to see more from you about unity, and I wonder if you guys have any Blender stuff... I've Really been wanting to get my hand into that - 2.5, I'm not so sure about yet, but it seems pretty amazing. It would be cool to jump into it with its "new look" in the company of some "old friends".

17. SeeSawSin

SeeSawSin

18. Vabu

Vabu

Might be me but on your "Prototype" page it gives me the error:
    ---------------------------
    Error launching Unity Player
    Bad file length.
    OK

Cleared my Unity cache, redownloaded twice just to make sure nothing funky on my end. Hope it's just me but might be something to look into.
    I'm running Vista 64-bit Ultimate.

19. Tinus

Tinus

Busby, great to hear you guys are still at it! Just wanted to show my sincere appreciation for the work you guys are doing. :)

I fondly remember following along with your Unreal Editor/Scripting VTMs when I was still a very wee lad and thinking to myself: "Hmmm, this game design bizz, I could do that!" Thanks for that experience, really, thanks.

20. Thijs

Thijs

Great tutorial, looking forward to the more advanced one. Keep up the laid back style, it just feels comfortable. :)

21. kork

kork

That is pretty cool stuff... However I get "server error" on all odd-numbered tutorial videos (1,3,5,7...etc). Is there something wrong with them?

22. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

Hmmm... that's odd.

(sorry... couldn't resist)

23. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Awesome - that's very cool. Thank you very much for that. 8) :D

24. moctezumagames

moctezumagames

I will have a look.
    Thank you for the good job.

25. oem

oem

Thanks for the tutorial videos.

26. dongke

dongke

wow amazing course! thankyou busbyj

27. skinny

skinny

anyone getting a weird error on the console window after the 15 video??

it appears only when the game scene is showing and the "One Shot" is selected, every time the Particle system emmits a new error prints in the console

28. baxter

baxter

no i not, but i can't see my score and lives label and i don't get any errors! can help me? i post my script..
    Code (csharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. public class Player : MonoBehaviour {
    6.     public float PlayerSpeed;
    7.     public GameObject ProjectilePrefab;
    9.     public static int Score = 0;
    10.     public static int Lives = 3;
    12.     // Update is called once per frame
    13.     void Update () {
    15.         //Amount to Move
    16.         float amtToMove = Input.GetAxisRaw("Horizontal") * PlayerSpeed * Time.deltaTime;
    18.         //Move The Player
    19.         transform.Translate(Vector3.right * amtToMove);
    21.         //Wrap
    22.         if (transform.position.x <= -7.5f)
    23.             transform.position = new Vector3(7.4f, transform.position.y, transform.position.z);
    24.         else if (transform.position.x >= 7.5f)
    25.             transform.position = new Vector3(-7.4f, transform.position.y, transform.position.z);
    26.         if (Input.GetKeyDown("space"))
    27.         {
    28.             //Fire Projectile
    29.             Vector3 position = new Vector3(transform.position.x, transform.position.y + (transform.localScale.y / 2));
    30.             Instantiate(ProjectilePrefab,position,Quaternion.identity);
    31.         }
    34.     }
    36.     void OnGui()
    37.     {
    38.         BuildUI();
    39.     }
    41.     void BuildUI()
    42.     {
    43.         GUI.Label (new Rect(10f,10f,60f,20f), "Score: " + Player.Score.ToString());
    44.         GUI.Label (new Rect(10f,30f,60f,20f), "Lives: " + Player.Lives.ToString());
    45.     }
    46. }

29. skinny

skinny

void OnGui()
    {
    BuildUI();
    }

this is the error, the function called by the Unity System is OnGUI(), the scripting is case sensitive

there is no error because you dont have any, its just that the OnGui() function of yours is never called

30. baxter

baxter

oooooooooohhhhhhh!!!TNX!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

31. andymen

andymen

Thank you very very much. It's excellent job. The way you talk about unity is great and learning that way is beautiful experience. Wow!

32. Naison

Naison

Thank you so much for these videos they lay down the fundamentals for creating any game. I mean really a thousand thanks most people try and charge 10 dollars for just one of these videos. So really thanks a ton!

33. tlass

tlass

THANK YOU !!!!

34. q_dmc12

q_dmc12

Very useful, VERY Useful! Thankyou very much! :eek:

35. satrebor

satrebor

Thanks man!

36. raygae

raygae

Downloaded everything and will take a look at it immediately.

Thanks much!

37. thellama

thellama

The memories!

I can remember listening to you ramble on about UT script for my collage scripting classes. Watching video after video late at night trying to figure out what the hell I was doing.

Those darn videos are the reason I can script as well as I can today.

Great contribution to the unity community!

38. sandolkakos

sandolkakos

Thanks very much for your Great Job.

God Bless you Jason.

39. acmshar

acmshar

Just finished up the tutorial. Thanks!

40. 3Duaun

3Duaun

just wanted to say thank you for sharing such great tutorials!

41. thomasrh

thomasrh

This is great. I've seen a few of your movie-series before and this was just what I hoped it would be. Laid back and not to serious, but at the same time extremely thorough.

I love how you can't help but put in stuff that is a bit higher level than the target audience for the series, but still make it understandable. It's fun to be educated by someone that's so obviously into the subject themselves.

Do you have any release date on the next version that you talk about in the movies? Using design patterns and what not.

Thanks for this one!

42. sueds

sueds

I've been following your tutorial for a long time and this is great. I hop to see the new serie very soon.

43. Quietus2

Quietus2

I wanted to give this thread a worthy bump. I just watched a few and they are of superb quality. The personable approach they take with the idle banter was very refreshing. Felt more like listening to a talk radio show than a beginner's programming tutorial.

I hereby award these awesome tutorials a gold star.

If you're new to Unity and the thought of coding frightens you then they are certainly worth checking out. You will be up to speed quickly!

44. 3Duaun

3Duaun

+1, this series is great. I've tested a few of their C# XNA vids too, GREAT tutorials. Here's to hoping for a Unity C# specific tutorial series someday.

45. mikesgames

mikesgames

thanks for the tuts. downloaded all of them!!

46. Zelek

Zelek

I just finished with the last of the videos, and they were fantastic. What a great introduction to Unity.

Does anyone know if the follow-up tutorial that he frequently mentions (involving reworking the app in a better structure) was ever created? I didn't see it on 3dBuzz, but I may have missed it.

47. GyuJazz

GyuJazz

I'm very glad that I found this section of tutorials and especially in C#.

But I'd like to see more C# in audio-based scripting, all the way from background music (that would for example change between scenes) to triggers and glitches.

Is there a tutorial about this field, getting a bit deeper into the awesome world of sounds?

Cheers,
    Ile

48. jaycee09

jaycee09

Thanks a lot for these excellent tutorials. But I am having a problem with downloading all the odd-numbered files where it throws a server error. The tutorials are so amazing that I tried to continue learning with what I could download but I could only proceed so much :(

I really need to get jump started with C# programming and Unity within days for my upcoming project. Please help!!!

Thanks much!

49. KarelA

KarelA

Hey there.

If you have trouble downloading 3dbuzz tutorials then you could alternatively go to www.3dbuzz.com and create an account. Then there head over to Unity video category and you can stream those videos from there. They also have C#/XNA 3 volues and volume 1 is free to stream. (It covers the basics of C#)

50. jaycee09

jaycee09

Thanks for that little pointer. The videos in the 3dbuzz website are simply amazing and so gripping. Just one little question here.... where can I get the assets for those enemies and the player? The author has made a nice extension to the simple game to bring in some nice backgrounds and models for the player and the enemy. Are they available online for download, so I could simply use them to test my game?

Thanks a lot!