Search Unity

Rotate A GUI SPrite/element/texture

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by grimmy, Dec 14, 2009.

1. grimmy

grimmy

I want to perfom one of the most simple tasks possible -rotating a sprite ...but the forums just show up a pethora of way overcomplicated methods which I have tried and dont seem even to work. I have heard about GUIUtility.RotateAround pivot but that doesnt seem to work. Does anyone know a simple one liner that I can put in the Update loop or OnGUI loop to rotate a sprite..

Ps..when I say 'sprite' I mean a game object with a GuiTexture attached. Maybe this is the wrong kind of object to use. Can someone clarify....with clarity?

Ta

2. melmonkey

melmonkey

Haven't tried it, but if you have an empty game object with the GUITexture parented under it, you could just rotate the game object...

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

It works fine actually.

Yes, since GUITextures can't be rotated, only stuff in OnGUI. Of course, you could always just use a texture on a 2-polygon plane in 3D space, then you can rotate them any which way you like. (This is what I normally use for sprites.)

--Eric

4. ooppari

ooppari

If you draw texture inside GUI.Window and rotate that window ( GUIUtility.RotateAroundPivot ) -> Texture also rotates. Just remember to rotate everything back after drawing that window if that's not last window drawn during that frame.

5. bernardfrancois

bernardfrancois

Actually it's a lot simpler:

Code (csharp):
    2. Matrix4x4 matrixBackup = GUI.matrix;
    3. {
    4.     GUIUtility.RotateAroundPivot(angle, pos);
    5.     GUI.DrawTexture(rect, texture);    
    6. }
    7. GUI.matrix = matrixBackup;
    'pos' is the the screen position of the center of the sprite in case you want to rotate around the center

Note that you can additionally use ScaleAroundPivot if you also need to scale your image.

6. himan

himan

hi. i can not use this code.Please explain more :oops:

7. lonewolfaka9

lonewolfaka9

dint work in my case throwing errors

8. tonyoakden

tonyoakden

I don't think Bernard intended the code to be taken literally. Here is a version in JS which rotates a texture in the middle of the screen. You need to have:

Code (csharp):
    1. public var testTexture: Texture2D = null;
    At the top of the file and then you need to assign a texture to testTexture using the editor inspector.

Then this code in OnGUI() somewhere:

Code (csharp):
    2. var matrixBackup:Matrix4x4  = GUI.matrix;
    3. var thisAngle:float = Time.frameCount * 2;
    4. var pos:Vector2 = Vector2(425,425);
    5. GUIUtility.RotateAroundPivot(thisAngle, pos);
    6. var thisRect:Rect = Rect(400,400,50,50);
    7. GUI.DrawTexture(thisRect, testTexture);      
    8. GUI.matrix = matrixBackup;
    When run the code will rotate the texture in approximately the middle of the screen using the frame count to control rotation. You should be able to modify the code to rotate whatever you want, wherever you want it.

I tested this and it works on in my project.

9. Tiles

Tiles

Forgive a complete noob here. Have tried to attach the code to an empty game object, GUI texture, cube primitive, the camera, and run out of ideas now where this is to attach to and what to try next to get it to work. Where do i attach this code to get it to work?

10. Tiles

Tiles

To answer myself, it is a bad idea to test a GUI element that sits at 400x400 when you test it in a 200x200 window. No wonder i didn`t see a result ... :D

Got it working. The script is attached to an empty Gameobject now :)

Just for the sake of providing a working example that you can simply open and have a look at, here the project file. Credits goes of course to tonyoakden here. Thanks for explanation :)

11. EricJ13

EricJ13

tonyoakden, you dah man. Thanx A LOT. I always figured since GUITexture had a transform that I could rotate GUI elements that way, and I was super bummed out when I found out I couldn't. I don't think I'd have been able to figure out a way to get the gauges in my game working like I want, the method you describe has saved the day. And thanx too Tiles, having an example to look at brought it all together.

EDIT: Cripes, gotta give credit where it's due... thanx as well to bernardfrancois!

12. forest_linshs

forest_linshs

Solved my problem, thank you all!!!

13. AlexMoore

AlexMoore

I know it's 3 years later, but this solved my problem too - thank you tonyoakden!

14. danvlad

danvlad

Thank's tonyoakden for your explanation !
    :cool:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013