Search Unity

New Plugin - Safari - disableContextMenu broken?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by h3r31am, Dec 2, 2009.

1. h3r31am

h3r31am

Is anyone else having problems with the new plugin not acknowledging the disableContextMenu=true param using Safari? Firefox is still fine, but Safari won't disable the right mouse button context menu...

2. Thelo

Thelo

I have the exact same problem, which is pretty annoying. Did anyone figure out how to make Mac Safari obey the disableContextMenu parameter?

Windows Safari obeys disableContextMenu just fine, though.

3. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

It's not broken as far as I know of, do you have an example page posted? I'll do a quick test on my end and post a page, but if you have one at the ready then let me know the URL so I can take a look.

Also, any particular versions of Safari on OS X? Or is it all?

Off I go to make my own simple test page, brb!

Edit: and I'm back now with an example page posted here (empty scene, just the blue background and nothing else) and the disabling of the context menu works just fine for me (OS X 10.5.8, Safari 4.0.4). So my immediate concern is that you folks aren't making all the needed modifications to the object/embed tags as explained in the documentation here. Make sure that you edit both the object tag (Win IE) and the embed tag (all other browsers), and that you do so in both the scripted area (JavaScript) and the noscript area (for those with JavaScript turned off in their browsers). Post a sample page URL if you'd like and I'll give it a look, but from what I can tell it's working just fine in Safari on OS X.

4. Thelo

Thelo

That sample page also fails to obey disableContextMenu for my partner who uses Mac Safari (i.e. it does display the context menu on right-click). He uses Mac OS 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard).

Incidentally, I did follow these instructions, and all my other browsers work OK with it (Windows IE, Windows Opera, Windows Safari, Windows Firefox, Windows Chrome, Mac Firefox). Only Mac Safari (on Snow Leopard) fails to obey disableContextMenu.

5. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Ok, that's good to know (as much as any bug like this can be "good" :p). I just tried on two machines, both with 10.6.2 one with Safari 4.0.3 and the other with 4.0.4 and in both cases the context menu appeared.

That's a bug for sure and I'll log it ASAP. Unfortunately there's nothing I can offer in terms of a workaround as that's the only way to disable that menu. Ugh...

Edit: and upon further review this bug was already found and logged and seems to be fixed internally, so it should appear in the next update we put out (no details on that just yet but at least this one seems resolved!).

6. ggunhouse

ggunhouse

I just encountered this bug, too, both on an iMac running OSX Leopard, and on an iMac running Windows XP using Bootcamp. On the OSX machine, the context menu popped up in Firefox and Safari; on the Windows/Bootcamp machine, the context menu popped up in Firefox and Chrome, but not in IE.

7. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

I've noticed this bug too and reported it a while bug using the bug reporter. Happens to me only on Safari and SL 64 bit.

8. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

I hope people saw and read my post above. This bug is already logged and *fixed* in the next build we release. Just restating that so it's crystal clear. :)

9. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

Oerks, no, overlooked your posting... :) Thanks for reposting it. Glad to hear it's fixed for the next build.

10. ggunhouse

ggunhouse

I had seen that post, but still thought it might be important to note that I'd encountered the issue in configurations that I didn't think had been reported yet.

In re-reading the post above (and especially the edit) I realized that I had made the mistake of not changing all the embed-ids. So, thanks for clarifying that. I've corrected the .htm page, and that fixed the problems I was seeing.

Sorry for the confusion. :oops:

11. omoymenya

omoymenya

Tom, sorry to keep nagging on this topic, but as of 6/4/2010 I am still seeing this problem in Safari on Snow Leopard, with Unity plugin version 2.6.1f3. This seems to be the most recent plugin posted on your site. Do you have an ETA on when the bug fix will be released?

12. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

There won't be another "bug fix release" in the 2.x family as we're fast upon the release of Unity 3.0 (which should include the fix for this as per my comments above). What's the timing on the 3.0 release? "Summer 2010", we don't have anything more specific than that to offer as of today.