Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Can I sell my Unity Free Game?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by 121, Nov 26, 2009.

1. 121

Hi all,

I've recently found Unity Free and I'm hooked. :)

I'm currently making a FPS game that will be for PC only. I've seen users making mini games for the Iphone and wondered if I could sell my FPS one day.

I'd like to eventually make it available to download to buyers.

Would I need to buy a licence from Unity to do this or am I good to go?

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

The now freely available Unity is a full license, as such you can sell your game with it

3. Tempest

Tempest

Until you make $100,000, you don't need to purchase a license. Good luck with your game :)

4. 121

Thats great!

What if I bought the Pro version and made the game only available as a download?

5. 121

What would I have to pay if I made $100,000 with it? :eek:

6. Tempest

Tempest

Sorry, for this causing more confusion than it's worth. For companies who make more than that amount, they have to own the Pro license, instead of the Free one.

7. 121

Well I'm just a lone hobbiest that likes to model stuff and animate in my spare time. If I bought the Pro version to play with and made a playable game, would it be illegal to offer it to buy as a download?

Obviously the game would be really basic without an experienced, paid team of proffesionals and will probably only make about $20 :D

How does licensing for Pro apply to hobbiests that have bought the software and have made a simple game that they would like to sell online?

8. Tempest

Tempest

There are no restrictions for you. Making a game and selling it is completely allowed, regardless of the free or Pro license.

As a hobbyist with Pro, offering a game for download is completely allowed and encouraged. :)

9. 121

Ok thanks,

Obviously it would be an impossibilty for me to create a competitive high end game alone. For one I don't have the skill, knowledge or team to create a game of that magnitude. This is only reserved for mainstream companies with experience and collateral. If the finished product was worth any kind of attention, it would be uploaded to a torrent anyway.

I'll continue the project as a hobby and maybe it might develop into a decent game that is saleable to those who enjoy my art :)

Lets say pigs could fly and a hobbyist made a game on their PC (with Pro) that eventually generated a significant amount of $ in sales (probably after about 40 years) :D would a lone hobbiest have to buy a licence then or does it only apply to actual companies?

10. Tempest

Tempest

Well, if you made the game with Pro, then you'd already have the Pro license. Also, the amount would be have to be $100k annually, not total over several years. Though, honestly, the clause about companies / incorporated entities would best be cleared with an e-mail to sales@unity3d.com.

11. elwis

elwis

If I ever make 100.000 from my games, I'll buy unity stocks and a truckload of cakes for the staffs friday coffee. :wink: