Search Unity

Objects loose info after import

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by cry0, Nov 12, 2009.

1. cry0

cry0

Hi everyone,

While updating a scene from the level designer to a programmer, and by means of exporting/importing, some (not all) objects lost all of the mesh, material, texture info...

Is this a known issue? It is weird as this is only happening in some objects.

Many thanks

2. cry0

cry0

Code (csharp):
    1. CheckConsistency: Restored Transform child parent pointer from NULL
    2. UnityEditor.Unsupported:PasteGameObjectsFromPasteboard()
    3. UnityEditor.Unsupported:PasteGameObjectsFromPasteboard()
    4. UnityEditor.BaseProjectWindow:PasteGO()
    5. UnityEditor.GenericMenu:CatchMenu(Object, String[], Int32)
    6. System.MulticastDelegate:invoke_void_object_string[]_int(Object, String[], Int32)
    8. [..\..\Runtime\Graphics\Transform.cpp line 1046]
    Could this be related? Never had such issues in 2.5

3. andeeeee

andeeeee

It would be great if you could file a bug report on this, ideally with one of the problematic files, if possible.

4. Dusty_ED

Dusty_ED

Hey we are getting something very similar but we get it using the asset server not import/export.

Code (csharp):
    2. CheckConsistency: Restored Transform child parent pointer from NULL
    3. UnityEditor.AssetDatabase:OpenAsset(Int32, Int32)
    4. UnityEditor.AssetDatabase:OpenAsset(Int32, Int32)
    5. UnityEditor.AssetDatabase:OpenAsset(Int32)
    6. UnityEditor.BaseProjectWindow:HierarchyView()
    7. UnityEditor.BaseProjectWindow:OnGUI()
    8. System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke(Object, Object[])
    9. System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke(Object, Object[])
    10. System.Reflection.MonoMethod:Invoke(Object, BindingFlags, Binder, Object[], CultureInfo)
    11. System.Reflection.MethodBase:Invoke(Object, Object[])
    12. UnityEditor.HostView:Invoke(String)
    13. UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()
    15. [..\..\Runtime\Graphics\Transform.cpp line 1046]

I can find anything reproducible about it, we started seeing this when one of the users updated his client to the newest version of the asset server. Maybe 15% of the time he chcks anything in, some object(usually only 1) loses its transform. It will look good to him every time, but all other computes see the exact same problem. The only way it can be fixed is if one of the other users move them item back to its original position and then submits it.

5. cry0

cry0

Hi Dusty_ED,

Exactly the same as ourselves.

The only way we could bypass this was:

1. copy all the art assets to the project directory so that they mirror the ones on the original machine;

2. copy the scene file.

That way we were able to maintain project integrity... but it sucks :)

AFAIK, this is happening when positioning multiple instances of th same prefab.

Hope this (small) piece of information help.

6. Dreamora

Dreamora

when your artist exported the package did he ensure to activate the "select dependencies" checkbox?
    otherwise stuff is missing and will go down on your end

7. cry0

cry0

yes, he did.

the only problem is on the scene itself, as all the assets com through in the exportation.

8. unityrookie

unityrookie

Has there been any resolution or workaround to this problem? We're having the exact same problem as originally posted, and it significantly slows down the development process. I've filed a bug report (Case 355226) and included example files with that report, but any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

9. andeeeee

andeeeee

This bug was apparently logged just a few days ago. It doesn't seem to have been fixed yet but its priority is set at "Extremely Important", so I can only assume it is being taken seriously (although I guess we may have a "Life Threatening" priority level which trumps that... ;-) )

10. seventyfive

seventyfive

any news on this? we are experiencing the same issue here...

11. cry0

cry0

That same issue only happened to us once (fortunately). We changed our pipeline with this workaround while experiencing that same issue - hope it helps you until this is properly fixed:

1. make sure that all parties involved share or have the same project dependendy files (all the assets must be mirror images from every project you wish to share stuff with);

2. manually copy the scene file and overwrite your existing one (make sure to make backup copies first just in case).

Pretty simple...

Truly hope this helps.

12. rdwjrg

rdwjrg

We've encountered this issue, too. We have seen this when modifying existing prefabs that are used in a scene, mainly when attaching minor MonoBehaviours to the prefab to annotate or enhance the capability of the prefab.

Perhaps this is what is described above, but I'm new enough to Unity that I wasn't able to gather that from the previous descriptions.

100% reproducible, unfortunately.

The workaround, if the prefab isn't used in too many scenes, is awkward but feasible. Open the scene where the modified prefab is used, note the "CheckConsistency" error, and re-save the scene. Seems to kick the IDE in some way that references are cleaned up or some other kind of magic behind the scenes. Maybe the other workaround described above is equivalent to re-saving.

13. yoyo

yoyo

Not sure how related this is, but this is the only location on a unity3d.com site where the phrase "CheckConsistency: Restored Transform child parent pointer from NULL" appears.

I just upgraded to Pro and enabled external version control. I was testing a clean copy of my repository. I changed a numeric value in a prefab, and I'm getting the consistency check error on four out of six instances of the prefab in the scene. Unity wanted to save the scene, even though I didn't touch anything except the prefab.

I closed Unity and re-opened it. Tweaked my prefab again. No consistency check errors this time, but needed to save the scene again. Is it normal that touching a prefab constitutes a scene change? I had hoped the scene only contains the modified settings on a prefab instance, but it seems that's not the case.

14. Orion

Orion

Ran into this issue again (and I swore myself never to use prefabs again after last time, but this time it was unavoidable). Since my code is too complex to make a useful bug report I once more have to work around the problem.

When the prefabs structure changes too much and I try to reconnect my prefab, I get the CheckConsistency error and the instance of the prefab starts doing weird things like rebuilding itself somewhere in the hierarchy of the old instance. Useless :/

So now I have to build a system that can store and track all the references between objects in a scene and reconnect them on demand, so I can just delete the prefab instance, place a new copy and restore everything that referenced it. Nightmares and headaches!

15. bem13

bem13

Im getting the same error.

Request: would it be possible to print out the name of the parent and/or child that have this problem?

It is possible that if I knew which object it was, the problem might become obvious.

16. andeeeee

andeeeee

It appears that this error message can come from several different places that are not logically related. If you have experienced this message recently then we would be happy to receive a bug report from you (menu: Help > Report A Bug).