Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you find 2.6's Animation Editor navigation unintuitive?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Jessy, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Jessy

Jessy

I do. I don't know that I've seen an app in which the scroll bars were not controlled by the scroll wheel.

Here's what I'm used to seeing in similar editors:

You navigate with the scroll wheel, like any other window. (Personally, I've only been using a scrolling trackpad for years, so I use 2D scrolling, but a modifier key can be used with a 1D scroll wheel to navigate horizontally).

You zoom by using a modifier key and the scroll wheel. Again, if your "wheel" is only 1D, then you use two modifier keys together.

If this is an issue for people with old-school mice to be able to get around slightly easier (i.e. without having to use any modifier keys when dragging), I don't agree with it. Breaking cross-platform UI conventions in order to make up for obsolete HIDs is a bad idea.

Now, I use Blender, and in Blender zooming is done like it is in Unity's Animation Editor, but there aren't any scroll bars in Blender's windows, in the cases where you can zoom. So there isn't a conflict with convention. For instance, I have absolutely no problem with scroll wheel zooming in Unity's Scene View.

Edit: I just check Blender 2.5, and in the Dope Sheet window, you can have a scroll bar, and zooming horizontally is still performed by vertically scrolling. Bad. :x