Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

iPhone Rocket App [Was: Starting a new iPhone game, doc...]

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by tinrocket, Nov 6, 2009.

1. tinrocket

tinrocket

Anyone mind if I document the development of my new game in this thread? I've learned much after shipping my first game this past August and, after a short break, have planned a different tack this time around, with the main changes being:

1) A shorter development cycle
    2) A game that requires less performance tuning and gameplay balancing than my last game.
    3) A game that looks like it's FULL OF AWESOME -- maybe an 'instant buy' if seen in the App Store. Rockets seemed like a safe choice.

I'll post more on the gameplay later, but for now, these are the first screenshots. The rocket model is stock model and just a placeholder. The main focus so far has been getting realistic particle effects for the rocket exhaust, which I think I've got. The recent Ares launch has provide a lot of inspiration and a ton of reference imagery.

November 5th:

November 6th:

2. Poita_

Poita_

Should probably go in the announcements or showcase forums.

That particle effect is pretty damn nice though :)

3. tinrocket

tinrocket

I have completed a first test of the launch animation. The rocket goes from launch to orbit in around a minute.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7b_OEfoRgE

(I had to write a program to make the above contact sheet from quicktime movies.)

4. Der Dude

Der Dude

Wow! That particle effect just blows my mind!

I'd love to see it in Full-Screen!

5. Ony

Ony

Awesome work on the particles. I love it.

6. tinrocket

tinrocket

Second test animation showing launch to orbit. (Time-compressed to 1 minute). The focus of this round of changes was to add more light atmosphere effects.

The sequence begins with bright daylight and then proceeds through haze, and then finally ends in a zero atmosphere environment. I wrote a shader with special blend modes to achieve these effects.

Everything runs smoothly on my 3GS device; have not tested other devices yet. Animation is captured from the Unity iPhone IDE:

http://vimeo.com/7511513
    [UPDATE: Much higher quality Vimeo version]

The next bit of work is for multi-stage rocket sequences: Lower rocket stages burnout, drop off and then upper stages start their burn. Trying to squeeze in as much work as I can before the weekend is up... :)

7. Marv

Marv

Looks amazing, especially since it's running on the iPhone.

I'd love to see a high detailed version for PC. Kind of an interactive take-off viewer for real launches.

8. tinrocket

tinrocket

Third test animation, from launch to "launch anomaly". (The launch vehicle is unmanned.)

Framerate is super-smooth on the iPhone 3GS, but on the 1G it's about 1 frame every 4 seconds. :twisted: I don't think I'm going to spend too much time trying to support this device, though.

The explosion animation is still a work-in-progress. The launch pad environment is just a photo that's been matched to the 3d scene.

http://www.vimeo.com/7769719

9. tinrocket

tinrocket

This is the new (probably final) rocket model:

This is an editor screenshot of the particles, post-explosion (atmospheric). It's two particle system's working together: a system of one-shot, falling particles, that have a prefab smoke generator system attached to each particle.

10. projektlounge

projektlounge

Hey thats very amazing quality.

I need this kind of effect for a missile animation in a "birdview" perspective, not so advanced and perfect.

Could give a hint on the Settings of the Particle Engine?
    I tried alot of settings but none gave me a good result.

My main problem ist the speed and the spread ...

11. tinrocket

tinrocket

Thanks. It's really a matter of spending mind-numbing hours tweaking the parameters, and also watching lots of YouTube videos of rockets. :eek:

Parameter's effect one another in different ways: Param A could be 1.0 and Param B could be 0.0 and it looks great. Flip some values around: Param A = 0.0 and Param B = 1.0 and it looks great in a different way. Continue to flip values around: Param A = 0.0 and Param B = .9 -- a small change, and it looks terrible. :oops:

It's really a matter of eye-balling it.

John