Search Unity

IS there a way to minimize rubber-band effect in physx rope?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by web76, Nov 4, 2009.

1. web76

web76

Hi, I am buliding a crane sim, and need chain/ropes, but when I try to lift something heavy the rope act to much like a rubber band, how can I minimize this effect? If I can increase the accurasy in the cost of performance I would do it :)

regards Kjell A

2. andeeeee

andeeeee

If you're creating the rope using a chain of ConfigurableJoints, you could set the linearLimit properties to limit the extent of stretch and the springiness.

3. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

@andeeee - So would setting the linearLimit to "0" keep the joint from stretching at all (that's what I want)? What would happen if a physics force was applied that tried to stretch it?

4. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Attached is a package that illustrates the issue the OP and I are talking about. No matter what setting I give linearLimit, the joint still stretches like a spring.

Attached Files:

5. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

@web76 - Try experimenting with the "Projection Mode" setting of the configurable joint. When I set this to position only it seems to stop the stretching.

6. web76

web76

Thanks, for the hints, I also found the iteration count for physx, it was set on value 6, I increased it to 40, and still had very good fps, but much more sable physicks....

I am getting quite good results now, 60-70 links/joints and four five of them...

7. andeeeee

andeeeee

To stop the stretching, you need to set the xMotion (and/or yMotion and zMotion) to Limited. Then, the angular and linear limits should apply to the joint along the axes where it is limited. Setting the linear limit to a small value (ie, not zero, say about 0.01 or so) seems to help the stability of these joints considerably, especially when they are arranged in a chain.