Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Sky Box

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Deleted User, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ok I figured id make an extedned fps than what the tutorial is based on. My question is how hard is it to realy make a sky box is there anything i should know before making my sky box, tips tricks and such. Are there any affordably priced programs that can generate one for me, or is it done all in a photo editor?

2. free60groups

free60groups

3. userno101

userno101

I'm interest how to create move clouds.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Im mainly talking about the textures for the sky box not how to make on in unity

5. Zappageck

Zappageck

As Unity uses a sphere to project the skydome it is best to use Maya or Vue to create the textures for the skybox as the spherical projection is hard to get it right within a photoeditor only.
    You can check the textures of the skyboxes that come with Unity to see what I mean.

6. spencerlindsay

spencerlindsay

You wouldn't happen to have a link to a tutorial on this would you? I'm rolling my own skybox textures and would _love_ to be able to use Maya...

:s.

7. doncorsean

doncorsean

HDRshop 8)

8. spencerlindsay

spencerlindsay

Um,... Debevec's work is HDR solves my need to build a skybox how?

:?:

9. moctezumagames

moctezumagames

10. spencerlindsay

spencerlindsay

Thanks for the ref! I'll definitely check out your store. I figured a workaround using Maya and some photostitching I did from my trip to New Zealand. So far so good!

11. Tom163

Tom163

Since I sell skyboxes, I figure I can tell a bit about the process. :)

I use Terragen 2, though the old 0.9 version is still in use by many as well. It doesn't create moving clouds, only static ones, but for almost all games, that's enough. Start out small, then go further.

There's a number of tutorials online on how to do skyboxes with Terragen, just google for it.

In Unity, you must remember to set the textures to "clamp", otherwise you'll have seams.

12. spencerlindsay

spencerlindsay

Yeah that's been the rule for a while. Thanks! It's difficult to know what you're selling on your store front BTW, no thumbs.

Best,

13. Tom163

Tom163

uh, what? Click on "Skyboxes" and you get thumbs, click on "Previews" and you get a webplayer.

14. ytinu

ytinu

I am looking for a way to generate Skybox images from with in Maya as well.

The idea I am using is to set a camera pointing in each of the 6 directions at the center of my skybox scene, then render each of them.

This in theory makes 6 images facing the 6 different directions, However my problem comes in with the camera settings to use and images not lining up.

I say problem cause if I just render out the 6 directions with the stock camera settings, things don't line up right - their needs to be some sort of wide angle lens or fish eye lens on the camera to generate it right.

not to hijack this thread - but how do you set up the camera with the right lens in Maya? What lens shader or settings do you set to make 6 good sky box textures?

Cheers
    T~

15. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

This Maya set up has the correct camera settings for 6 cameras.

Attached Files:

16. ytinu

ytinu

Thanks aNTeNNa trEE - I did a few tests with the set up and it woks. 10 points to you! Cheers. :)

17. G-o-D933

G-o-D933