Search Unity

Smart FP Controller v1.4 - Powerful first person controller [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Victor-K, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Victor-K

Victor-K

RELEASED.

Dear Unity developers, I'm glad to share with you my contribution in Asset Store: Smart First Person Controller. This asset is a powerful, flexible and intuitive to use first person controller system, allows you to quickly and easily setup your player controller for any first person game, and have them working in minutes! And many other features.

Modified version of this asset used in Advanced Shooter Kit.

Need touch kit for it? Click here!

Get it

NOTE: All sources only C# coders.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  2. Victor-K

Victor-K

3. Victor-K

Victor-K

4. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Looks really good. What I'd be really interested in is a system similar to this, but for animals. As not one asset like this is available on the store.

5. vampir26

vampir26

Hi

How can I add terrain textures in footstep manager? I can add materials, but I don't have terrain materials - just textures.

Thx for advice.

6. Victor-K

Victor-K

Unfortunately this functionality not yet, but will be in future updates.

7. joostbos

joostbos

Hi,

This looks great! Just to be sure, I see that you have animations in the package. Does the avatar move according to the animations so that if I would put a mirror in the scene I can see myself moving?

8. Victor-K

Victor-K

Hello,
    Unfortunately this functional not yet.

9. joostbos

joostbos

Ok, thanks. I'll keep an eye out for future updates :)

10. freedomize

freedomize

Hello. Is it possible to remove character animations from this Asset? You're planning submit this Asset for unity 5.3?
    I think I will buy it if it will be updated for the latest version of Unity(5.3.4).

11. Victor-K

Victor-K

Hello Update to ver1.2 is cooming soon.

12. Victor-K

Victor-K

Hello guys,
    Good news for everyone who uses this asset with "Touch Controls Kit" asset.
    Tomorrow or the day after, will be ready new upgrade for full to compatible these two assets.
    There will also be presented with Video Tutorials for a full understanding of new system.

13. DerDicke

DerDicke

several things do not work for me. I imported it to a non-empty project to replace the FPS Controller from Standard Assets.

1.) It overwrites the settings from unity Inputmanager. Trying to restore them failed. I wanted to set [0] (Numpad0) for jumping. How to do that?

2.) How to get rid of the UI loaded in 'Smart Input Manager'? I'm fine with doing it in code.

Thanks.
    [Edit]: found solution to 2.): outcommented SpawnUIElements()
    [Edit2]: found solution to 1.): found your custom InputManager, but solution to 2.) produces an exception...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  14. DerDicke

DerDicke

Ok , don't get it done the way I want to.
    I want to get rid of the player body and all the UI. I just want to keep the movement/rotation/player rigid body. How to do it?
    Changing code is no problem.

Thanks.

15. DerDicke

DerDicke

okidoki, here is how i was able to get rid of the animated character mesh and all the UI:

1.) delete everything not needed in the Hierarchy, so that it looks like this:
    upload_2016-8-2_9-23-37.png

2.) In SmartInputManager.cs, find Awake() and outcomment the call to SpawnUIElements();
    upload_2016-8-2_9-26-27.png
    3.) In SmartInputManager.cs, find Start() and outcomment the call to MenuElements.SetActive( false );
    upload_2016-8-2_9-33-49.png
    and thats it.

16. DerDicke

DerDicke

... and if you want to get rid of the stuttering while moving (probably only happens on high fps) use Update() instead of FixedUpdate() in FirstPersonController.cs:

upload_2016-8-2_9-42-49.png

Then replace every Time.fixedDeltaTime through Time.deltaTime in FirstPersonController.cs, e.g:
    upload_2016-8-2_9-46-26.png

Now you have a solid and smooth FP-controller with full footsteps support for 10 bucks without too much mambo-jambo.

Westomopresto likes this.
  17. Shockwolf

Shockwolf

Hi Victor,

I am trying to use cInput Pro with your SmartFPSController Asset and have no idea where to start, so I was wondering if you could help me please? I want the cInput Asset to replace the input menu you created and use it to allow players to set up their own Inputs in Runtime and save them.

The cInput pro videos are here: http://cinput2.weebly.com/video-tutorials.html
    The second video down explains how to set up and switch Unity Input code to cInput code, but after taking a look at your scripts I am stumped as to how to implement it.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

SW

18. Victor-K

Victor-K

Hello,

Just modify "SmartInputManager.cs" for replace input source. All scripts read input from it.
    Also see "InputSettings.cs" - Some scripts read input from it, like as "FirstPersonController.cs" // GetSpeed() - function
    NOTE: cInput InputSettings must overwriting them completely. Because only cInput will be used as input source.

19. Victor-K

Victor-K

Update to next version is coming

- Better mouse look
    - Updates for surface system
    - More optimizations

20. Victor-K

Victor-K

New surface system in coming update.

21. Emerald_Eel_Entertainment

Emerald_Eel_Entertainment

This assets looks interesting; I may consider purchasing it though I wish to see a video demonstration showcasing all the features in action, as well as the various public integers, booleans, etc, being edited and hsowing the results. I saw there's a playable demo you can download but my download speed is not great, unfortunately.

22. Westomopresto

Westomopresto

I love this controller, very simple and easy to use.
    But I'm having this micro stutter when moving/looking around? even using the default player prefab gives me this result.
    Any idea why that might be happening?

EDIT:
    using DerDicke's method i was able to some-what fix this problem (both in the playercontroller.cs, and headbob.cs)
    But now after using the pause menu, mouselook no longer works...

This controller would be close to perfect if that stuttering was fixed

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  23. Victor-K

Victor-K

Hello Weston,

Can you tell us how to reproduce this issue?
    At what frame rate does this occur? vsync is enabled?

Coming soon will be released a series updates. The first installment adds support of mecanim and will update surface detection system. I would like to include in first part your wishes. If I have time to quickly understand their cause. I just want to glad my customers as soon as possible with an prepared update.

Regards, Victor.

24. Westomopresto

Westomopresto

V-sync being on or off seems to have little to do with it, however this stutter seems to happen at higher framerates.
    A scene with a flat-plane and your character controller seems to produce this stuttering at higher framerates.

I wish i could provide more information than that, but as mentioned earlier in the thread, changing your FixedUpdate() to an Update() in your character controller.cs seems to solve this problem. Albeit it creates a new one (after exiting the pause menu mouselook() no longer functions)

I'm not an expert, but I think the stuttering has something to do with your headbob script. the camera doesn't update its position/follow as fast as the playerobject does. and creates a stutter.

25. Victor-K

Victor-K

Hmm, Strangely enough, I can't reproduce issues you mentioned... The profiler also does not show anything suspicious. However, updated version of FPController for another asset on finish line. It remains to adapt code for this asset. I think a number of improvements and optimizations will be better look and work. Most likely these issues have already been fixed in the new version. In any case, a tests will show this.

26. DerDicke

DerDicke

Lately I worked on a 3rd Person controller and got into the same issue. Basic problem is, that it is impossible to exactly match physics updates (FixedUpdate()) with frame updates (Update()). This is a known Unity issue that has afaik never been fixed. It's just the way they integrated PhysX into Unity.

After extensive testing of all variants the best solution was to do all character movement + camera movement in Update() using Time.deltaTime and never use FixedUpdate().

You will still have microstuttering when camera is looking at moving physics controlled objs, but it will be much less noticable. Setting the physics timestep to 60 fps ('ProjectSettings/Timings' I think, or by code) and enable VSync will reduce this stuttering, but you'll never get completely rid of it (please prove me wrong!).

The effect will be stronger if your framerate is higher than physics-fixed updates (default: 50 fps), like it will be in early game dev with few assets in scene.

If your game extensively used physics, make all movements (Camera, Player, Physics) in FixedUpdate() only. But for a pure physics game you probably don't need a FPS camera...

So, in a nutshell:
    - make all movement in Update() using Time.deltaTime
    - set physics fixed update to 60 fps
    - hope for the best

27. nssoft96

nssoft96

Виктор, доброго дня! После обновления юньки до последней версии 2017.3.0f3 перестал работать Ваш замечательный ассет. При запуске на чистой сцене бъет ошибки:
    1. Lighting data asset ‘LightingData’ is incompatible with the current Unity version. Please use Generate Lighting to rebuild the lighting data. Realtime Global Illumination cannot be used until the lighting data is rebuilt.
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    2. Assets/VictorsAssets/SmartFPController/Scripts/Editor/Windows/Tabs/SurfaceDetectorTab.cs(582,48): error CS0619: `UnityEngine.EventType.dragUpdated' is obsolete: `Use DragUpdated instead (UnityUpgradable) -> DragUpdated'

У Вас есть возможность потестить ассет на последней версии юньки?

И еще предупреждений масса по анимациям. Подскажите, пожалуйста, что делать?
    С уважением, Сергей.

28. nssoft96

nssoft96

Доброго дня! по второй ошибке разобрался dragUpdated исправил на DragUpdated, в файле SurfaceDetectorTab.cs. Вернул на место ассет до апдейта. Работает с новой юнькой. Обновленный - нет.

29. Victor-K

Victor-K

Приветствую Сергей,

Возможно, у Вас устаревшая версия ассета. В текущей 1.4 все должно хорошо работать.

30. SpinTheDaddy

SpinTheDaddy

Хуйня а не ассет. Разраб еще в добавок удаляет комменты. Пидор блять

31. Victor-K

Victor-K

ЛОЛ,

Коменты удаляют админы форума, если в них содержатся ругательства и/или оскорбления. Кароч за базаром следи и никто твои коменты удалять не будет. А здесь интеллигентные люди собираются, вот админы и чистят форум от подобных высеров. В подобной манере будешь общаться с нариками со своего мухосранска.

И да, давай-ка без мата и оскорблений! Если че получается - спроси, а психовать и обзываться не надо.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  32. nssoft96

nssoft96

Здравствуйте! Вероятно это у меня что-то. У меня последняя версия ассета 1.4.
    После обновления ассета вылезают такие ошибки. Посоветуйте, пожалуйста, как его заставить работать.

С уважением, Сергей.
    2018-02-20 23-01-09 Unity 2017.3.0f3 Personal (64bit) - trees.unity .jpg

33. Victor-K

Victor-K

Приветствую Сергей,

Перед обновлением желательно ПОЛНОСТЬЮ УДАЛИТЬ старую версию ассета. Удалите ассет и установите заново. Это ошибка возникла из-за устаревшего скрипта который был удален из версии 1.4 т.к. вся анимация была переведена на Mecanim.

34. nssoft96

nssoft96

Спасибо за ответ! Помогло! А как подружить SmartFPController с Advanced Shooter Kit? Я так понял в ките со стрельбой встроен и SmartFPController? или я не прав? меня интересует лазание по вертикальным лестницам.

35. Victor-K

Victor-K

Приветствую Сергей,

Все верно, по сути шутер-кит это фпс-кнтроллер с пушками, HUD'ом, камерой, ну и всем остальным, что для шутера обычно нужно.
    И да, Возможность залезания по лестницам имеется во обоих ассетах.

36. cicha09

cicha09

Hello,
    How can I make camera shake?

37. Victor-K

Victor-K

Hello,

Just attach your "cameraShake" script on main camera. works with cam transform there should be no issues.
    However, if something goes wrong, please let me know.

38. cicha09

cicha09

Thanks, it works with my camera Shake script. :)

39. cicha09

cicha09

Hello,
    How could disable controller support (gamepad)?

40. Victor-K

Victor-K

Hello,

Just remove all settings for gamepad in Input Settings (Tools->Victor's Assets->Smart FP Controller->Input)
    The way of Input: SmartInputManager->InputSettings->UnityInput

41. sfame1

sfame1

Victor,
    great asset however I would like to change the character mesh and not use the swat avatar I have maya and a person (female ) so hoew would I go about fixing the mesh but keeping the same fps controller and animations

42. Alvarezmd90

Alvarezmd90

Any idea how I can remove the smoothness of the movement? I want it to be more responsive than default. Instant response to input instead with the friction it has right now. :)

43. Tanja1234hs

Tanja1234hs

Hey Victor,

will the Smart FP Controller work on Unity 2019.3?

Thanks!

44. armablue

armablue

Hi Victor,

Is there a way to get the mouse interaction to work in Unity on a Remote Desktop?

Thanks!