Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to use custom compiled c# dlls or assemblies?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Abdullah.Ahmed, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Abdullah.Ahmed

Abdullah.Ahmed

Hey guys,

I have a few questions regarding Unity and custom assemblies...

1- Is it possible for me to create my own assembly in C# (say using Visual Studio or MonoDevelop) and then reference that assembly, its classes and functions within unity C#/Javascript scripts?

2- How would I go about using a custom .dll in these scripts?

3- Are there any limitations to such dlls? Do I have to compile for a certain .net framework? (such as 1.1, 2.0 etc).

2. mmwizard

mmwizard

3. zumwalt

zumwalt

Forget the plugins.html for this, if you write a C# library, you simply use it in Unity by dragging the C# dll into your assets folder, you only need the Plugins folder if you are going to use a C++ library. You can use C# DLL's with Indy version of Unity and can skip the plugins all together.

All you have to do is add a
    using YourNamespace;
    At the top of your CS file, then call your methods like you would call any other method in Unity. Just take care to compile your project / class file for Framework 2.0, you can't use System.Windows or System.Windows.Forms components, you do have some framework limitations but you will find those as you go along.

Using C# libraries are cake, oh and you can't use anything made with SWING in Unity either, the P/Invoke isn't cross platform compatible.

4. Abdullah.Ahmed

Abdullah.Ahmed

Awesome, thanks!

The questions may have been silly but they were a conceptual roadblock for me. I think knowing that I can pretty much use most of the power of the .net framework really makes Unity's potential exciting for me.

5. fletch27502

fletch27502

I have some C# managed dlls that I've placed into the Assets folder, and I'm getting an Internal Compiler Error.

I'm using Unity 2.6, and my target platform is Windows only. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Scott

6. tstpierre

tstpierre

What's the console output say? Any exception being written?