Unity Community

1. Posts

How to use custom compiled c# dlls or assemblies?

Hey guys,

I have a few questions regarding Unity and custom assemblies...

1- Is it possible for me to create my own assembly in C# (say using Visual Studio or MonoDevelop) and then reference that assembly, its classes and functions within unity C#/Javascript scripts?

2- How would I go about using a custom .dll in these scripts?

3- Are there any limitations to such dlls? Do I have to compile for a certain .net framework? (such as 1.1, 2.0 etc).

2. Location
    Houston, TX
    Forget the plugins.html for this, if you write a C# library, you simply use it in Unity by dragging the C# dll into your assets folder, you only need the Plugins folder if you are going to use a C++ library. You can use C# DLL's with Indy version of Unity and can skip the plugins all together.

All you have to do is add a
    using YourNamespace;
    At the top of your CS file, then call your methods like you would call any other method in Unity. Just take care to compile your project / class file for Framework 2.0, you can't use System.Windows or System.Windows.Forms components, you do have some framework limitations but you will find those as you go along.

Using C# libraries are cake, oh and you can't use anything made with SWING in Unity either, the P/Invoke isn't cross platform compatible.

3. Posts
    Awesome, thanks!

The questions may have been silly but they were a conceptual roadblock for me. I think knowing that I can pretty much use most of the power of the .net framework really makes Unity's potential exciting for me.

4. Location
    Cary, NC

C# managed dlls

I have some C# managed dlls that I've placed into the Assets folder, and I'm getting an Internal Compiler Error.

I'm using Unity 2.6, and my target platform is Windows only. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Scott Haynes
    Software Engineer Staff
    Lockheed Martin - Virtual World Labs

5. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch27502 View Post
    I have some C# managed dlls that I've placed into the Assets folder, and I'm getting an Internal Compiler Error.

I'm using Unity 2.6, and my target platform is Windows only. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Scott
    What's the console output say? Any exception being written?