Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Label Background Color

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by wbl1, Oct 9, 2009.

1. wbl1

wbl1

I basically just want to create a "color map" - a series of boxes - each filled with a different color. This would be analogous to background-color in CSS.

How do I do this? It seems that the normal states in skins / styles require a texture (image) - not just a simple color input.

2. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Yup, so create a set of small (2x2 even) background boxes of the various colors you'd like, then create unique GUI Styles for each color set-up you'd like and away you go! :)

3. wbl1

wbl1

As I make my way through the docs I see that I need to define a GUIStyleState. This has two variables -- background and textColor. Trouble is, background is an image (Texture2d). This is where I get into trouble. I would expect to see a variable called backgroundColor.

Do I need to define a new "texture" for the color? If so, is there an example of how to do this?

The "texture" concept is where I get into trouble -- this is a new paradigm for me I am afraid ...

Thanks!!

4. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

The simplest way would be to use a white texture, then assign the color you want to GUI.backgroundColor. The change sticks around so you should make sure to revert the value when you're done.

5. wbl1

wbl1

OK, I know my ignorance is irritating, but this is what I dont understand:

Where do I get a simple white texture? Is this something I can create in Unity? Is it an image? Where does this come from?

Thanks!

:oops:

6. sebako

sebako

you can create it with any image manipulation program you like. Maybe Gimp or Photoshop

7. wbl1

wbl1

OK, Thanks very much all ...

For my friends at Unity, it seems that a straightforward backgroundColor - that does not require an image to start with - would be a sensible item for the wish list.

Sabo likes this.
  8. sebako

sebako

yes it would be nice to switch background colors like in Css ;)

9. KokodokoGames

KokodokoGames

Unity GUI is an awful nightmare if you come from CSS. Why not let us display a HTML field with CSS?

Xevioni likes this.
  10. Gabb01

Gabb01

Because CSS is an awful nightmare if you come from Unity GUI.