Search Unity

Interlaced stereoscopy Windows issue

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Ekzuzy, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Ekzuzy

Ekzuzy

Hello.

We have recently bought Hyundai 3D monitor because we wanted to test how our project would look like in 3D. So I have created test project and interlaced stereoscopy shader. It basicaly works like this:

There are two cameras rendering scene alternatively to two different RenderTextures and before rendering each camera is positioned a little bit off the center. Then, in postprocessing, shader mixes these two images so that i.e. even lines are taken from left eye and odd lines are taken from right eye. There is on frame lag in this project (one camera renders scene to first texture, image is updated, then second camera renders image to texture 2 and image is updated). But it was only created for testing purposes.

On Macintosh it worked so I was happy. But only until I've tried to run it on Windows. I don't have any idea why it is not working in Windows. I know that in this simple version it will not work on DirectX (I will try to prepare version for it) but I don't understand why it works with OpenGL in MacOS but doesn't work with OpenGL in Windows.

I've sent this project to Unity Support 2 months ago and still no reply from them!!! 2 months waiting for a solution to some problem? I think it is too much. And to be honest, I'm fed up with waiting. This is one of the reasons I am posting it here. Maybe someone will find the solution.

I've managed to obey this problem somehow (changing the display method, calling rendering on disabled cameras, mixing images in another camera and something like that, generally these were blind guesses) but I still don't know why this particular project isn't working on Windows but it does work without any problem on Mac. It is annoying because we are developing our application on Mac but with Windows in mind. I'm writing different shaders, everything works fine, I'm building test version for Windows, run it there and... nothing. It is not working there. Sure, why should it. It's only multiplatform environment where someone can build Mac and Windows applications with one click. I've always liked Unity but some bug are really, really irritating.

I hope this project and shaders would come in handy for someone. They are very simple and they weren't written with older hardware in mind.

If anybody would like to see better (meaning working on Mac AND Windows) version of a interlaced stereoscopy shader please contact me. I've also changed flickering problems mentioned earlier (cameras render images simultaneously and then it is mixed onto the screen, there's no one frame lag). If someone would like to see it, I can also create simple project with the upgraded shaders and post it.

Attached Files:

2. rahuxx

rahuxx

Do you know anything about making game that works on DLP linked projector and glasses.

I want to make a game that works on Viewsonic DLP projector supporting 120 htz and Xpand X102 DLP linked glasses.

If you can even post your project/package update for interlace 3d i can even try to find some thing usefull from that too.

thank
    rahu

3. giancamati

giancamati

Guys I'm sorry I don't quite get this example, which is EPIC!!! :) but as soon as I run the application, I was expecting that NVidia Quadro 5000 Graphcis card would emit the 120Hz sync signall out so to sinchronized the shutter and finally see in stereo. The application splits the image, what what makes the Card shooting the 120Hz out to the shutter?

thanks for the help.
    GC.