Search Unity

3 free vouchers for the best Lighting Package at the Asset Store (Physically Based Area Lights)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Tjomas, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Tjomas

Tjomas

Hi,

we just released our new Physically Based Area Lights Package at the Asset Store.
    We are curious to find out how you would use the new lighting possibilities in your games and visualizations. Therefore, we are giving away 3 free packages in the next three days. Simply apply with a screenshot of your scene or project that would benefit from realtime area lights the most.

Winners:
    • Day 1 (12.03.2105): upVersive - The mental Tower
    • Day 2 (13.03.2105): -
    • Day 3 (14.03.2105): -
    Links:

Works in Unity 5.0 Personal and Unity 5.0 Pro.

Supported emitter types:
    • Rectangular emitter
    • Spherical emitter
    • Disk emitter
    • Tube emitter
    • IES emitter
    Other features:
    • Supports the new physically based Standard Shader
    • Support for Enlighten realtime GI
    • Deep editor integration
    • IES light profile integration
    • Works in Forward & Deferred Shading rendering path
    • Works on Windows / Mac
    We are happy to hear from you.
    Cheers redPlant

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    nasos_333 and MPanknin like this.
  2. Eysmondo

Eysmondo

upload_2015-3-11_15-26-40.png

Tjomas likes this.
  3. paulojsam

paulojsam

Tjomas likes this.
  4. nasos_333

nasos_333

I would love to see how this asset would work with my GI Proxy system

I currently use Unity point lights, but area lights should bring it to the next level.

Tjomas likes this.
  5. Tjomas

Tjomas

Hi,

the first day is over. This means that we have to choose one of your screenshots.
    And the first free voucher goes to upVersive - The mental Tower.
    The dark and scary scenery is a perfect test case for our lighting system.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=230685284

It would be exciting if paulojsam would share some of the results with us.
    @paulojsam: We send you a pm.

Thanks for all submissions.
    We are looking forward to the second day. :)

6. nasos_333

nasos_333

Will the previous day pics count for the next or have to resubmit ?

I cant post pics directly from my RPG, since it is a secret project for now, but the undrground areas would be perfect with dynamic GI from GI Proxy and these area lights as GI bounce lights.

The high towers and some castle parts would definitly benefit too.

I do use the artium in the game though, so this is part of the RPG i guess :)

7. Thiago-Crawford

Thiago-Crawford

Pic1.jpg
    Hey I could use some area lights in my living room ;)
    We're almost neighbors by the way, live 1 block away from your office, "Dusseldorf Halloooo!~" :p

8. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

Tjomas and nasos_333 like this.
  9. paulojsam

paulojsam

Thank you very much Tjomas!!! I am upgrading to unity 5, and with your amazing work, you will allow Upversive to look even better!!! I will be posting here the future progress!!!

10. Tjomas

Tjomas

Yes, it will count.
    We choose the next winner tomorrow.

11. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

i'll post some pics up in a little while

12. PiotrW

PiotrW

Right now we are using BG Light Engine with similar solution. Would love to use your solution with mobile support working soon:). Rectangle light reflection visible on ceiling, floor, and walls. Are you going to use texture for rectangle lightning too?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
    DrewMedina likes this.
  13. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

Here are a couple in game renders i made a couple weeks ago, i would show more of the world but its in very early stages at the moment. The game is loosely based on the black death / Plague set 15 years into the future.
    The game is focused on building and managing a community of survivors.
    Currently im playing with different concepts around solar power and how it can be used in the game, during the winter it could be used to grow food in the camp or provide heating at the camp.

Most importantly though lights will play a huge part of the game especially during the night, due to solar power, lights will still come on around the world at night, lights are very helpful in keeping extremely infected enemies away, however power is limited and the user can control where power goes to, so more power to the base or more to the lights around the world and so on.

There more of a read up on my website, its changed a bit now though.

Update
    Forgot to mention that the lights wont stay on all night, depending on how much power you give to certain areas lights will eventually go out during the night, one of the downsides to solar power, it collects power during the day and then uses it during the night.

so for example if i say give 50% of power to one area of the map then the lights in that area will change throughout the duration of the night, range getting smaller and brightness getting dimmer until they eventually cut out. the only exception is anything that has its own source of solar power like the sign in the below picture wont cut out.

i wish i had some decent concept on hand for one of NPC's in the game, a cult based on some ideas behind the black death will walk around the map at night holding lanterns burning the dead as they go. i posted an image right at the bottom of what they would kinda look like, dang wish i had something for them

14. Tjomas

Tjomas

Hi, thanks for all your submissions. We are currently choosing the winner.
    In the meantime, here is a little WebGL game demo that we have made with the area lights.

Link to the game

webgl_gyroball.jpg

15. Thiago-Crawford

Thiago-Crawford

Tjomas likes this.
  16. Tjomas

Tjomas

It was a difficult decision.
    The next free voucher goes to PiotrW.
    Area lights and architectural visualizations are made for each other.
    We hope that your new package is an enrichment for the toolbox.

Joyful weekend
    Thomas

17. Tjomas

Tjomas

18. PiotrW

PiotrW

Thanks a lot. You are right! They are great for enrich interior visuals. I will share screenshots from new version when it is ready!

19. Thiago-Crawford

Thiago-Crawford

20. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

i only got half way through, probably not supposed to be playing games whilst im working haha

21. f4lke

f4lke

Hey there,

thank you for this opportunity. You can find two ingame screenshots below.

I have decided to make a scene this evening and just finished it. I used Modo and Unity with some Assets, also some models (light, window frame) from cgtrader. My goal was to create a scene which "simulates" the emitter types of your asset (Rectangular-, Spherical-, Disk- and Tube emitters) by only using the default lights of unity.

The ceiling light consists of 8 spot lights, the ball on the right is a simple point light, the "light rail" on the lower left was made with an unity 5 area light. The neon tubes in the back are 2 area lights with two tubes behind them. All the glowing was done with Sonic Ethers Natural Bloom.

EDIT: I forgot to mention what i would use your asset for: For mechanical and architectural visualizations.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  22. twobob

twobob

Well, we don't have any reality-beautiful assets, or fancy photo-real renders.
    To be clear, we are attempting quite the opposite.

We are focusing on a fully procedural infinite world that is -primarily- for small children to explore and play.
    A core group of around 20 are setup to test the initial output at this stage.

It will be a freely distributed project utilising photon networking and will figure heavily a non-real art style.

It really is a genuine puzzle lighting procedural worlds well and we feel your asset would be a good fit if it can do this stuff "in real time" - we did look through the dev thread but were a little unsure if it would work for this use-case.

Basically it would be nice to have "Active" area lighting around "Areas Of Interest" like houses.

150DrawCalls.JPG

Peachy.JPG

FullyProcedural.JPG
    Dramatic, real-time, lighting would be a lovely addition and a striking contrast to your other entries.

procedural.JPG

Clearly that is a placeholder avatar :p
    thanks for your consideration.

23. Tjomas

Tjomas

Hi,

sorry for the delayed reply.
    Thanks for all your screenshots and descriptions.
    To make it short: The last voucher goes to reptilebeats.
    We hope that our lights make the night a little brighter.

Cheers Thomas

twobob likes this.
  24. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

awesome i have to make a few more in game posters next month so i will implement it into them and hopefully have something nice to show off using your package.
    Thanks