Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

2D Toolkit - 2D in Unity made simple [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by unikronsoftware, Jun 16, 2011.

1. EvilDingo

EvilDingo

Could I use this to make 2D ragdoll characters easily? I had a quick look at the videos and it looks possible, but there are a few 2D kits out there and any one that makes this easy would get my vote. :)

2. Itchy-Games

Itchy-Games

@EvilDingo I think it´s almost like make typical 3D ragdolls on Unity, So it´s 100% possible.
    if you can attach Physics to object like in the Physic crate video, you can attach character joints to your enemies for make 2D ragdolls easily.

3. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Sprites created with these systems are simply Unity Meshes, so you can attach any physics component to it. Just remember to set up the constraints so you don't get it spinning any which way it wants to, i.e. Freeze position on Z, Freeze Rotation on X and Y.

unikron

4. EvilDingo

EvilDingo

Okay, I've bought it. :)

I have a general script question though. I don't want to use GUITexture to draw a texture in screen space. I want to draw a box around a selected 3D object. I can do this with the Unity GUI by camera.WorldToScreenPoint. But how would I accomplish this with the 2D toolkit? Since it exists in 3D space, converting it to screen space doesn't get it in the right spot.

Thanks for the tool. I'm sure I'll get a lot of use out of it.

5. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Thanks for purchasing it. We hope you enjoy using it.

You can get virtually the same workflow as using GUITextures by creating a second (stationary) camera, setting it up as an ortho projection and making the sprites visible on that layer alone. Your positioning code should be identical.

unikron

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  6. spartan

spartan

Does this support automatic Multi resolution textures like prime's UIToolkit?
    Eg: iPhone 3 and iPhone 4 automatic textures (SD and HD)

7. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

It won't automatically load a lower resolution version of the texture automatically, though mipmaps do work and the padding takes that into account, I don't think this is the answer you are looking for.

This is the first time this has been requested, as far as I am aware. If more people need / want it then perhaps we can release this in a patch.

NOTE: I should probably mention that in our games, we are perfectly happy using mipmaps, and switching qualitysetting (half texture size).

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  8. spartan

spartan

Thanks unikron, I'm only concerned about the memory footprint on the iPhone 3G using half texture resize instead of loading a half texture size.

9. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

I am fairly sure that we found half texture resize actually did reduce the memory footprint, however, the rest of the mip chain would still increase memory footprint compared to explixitly loading a resized texture without mips.

In our games we do tend to scale sprites up and down, and having mips really does make a difference in performance.

Ultimately it's a performance vs requirement vs memory thing; if there is enough demand for it we will certainly sort out a solution and include it in a patch.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  10. bryanleister

bryanleister

Hi,

I'd like to use the Static Sprite Batcher to create 2D levels in a platform type of game. The levels are irregular in shape, so a box collider attached to the Sprite Batcher doesn't work. If I add a Box collider to each child of the Static Sprite Batcher, they get deleted when I commit to the static Sprite.

I can sort of use a Mesh Collider on the Static Batcher, it actually works but I get this error:

Actor::updateMassFromShapes: Compute mesh inertia tensor failed for one of the actor's mesh shapes! Please change mesh geometry or supply a tensor manually!

I know that this is because the Sprite mesh that is created is flat. I can use 'Convex' and don't get the error, but the shape is nowhere as accurate as I would like.

My other options are:

1. Do not use the Static Batcher, just use individual sprites
    2. Create child game objects with various box colliders where I need then

What is your recommended workflow? It seems like this would come up often enough. For example, your demo of the Sprite Batcher, where and how did you end up adding colliders to make that irregular shape into a platform?

11. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Currently we simply create large box colliders where needed. Slightly inconvenient, but that was the best option to maintain good performance. We create tiled backgrounds constructed out of tiles and there may be objects where collisions aren't required (eg. trees, background decorations, etc) which makes automatically creating a collision mesh impractical and not particularly efficient.

We did prototype a collision mesh creation tool where you place points in 2d space to create a collision mesh, but the time spent on it didn't justify the results; it was still quicker to create box meshes, which ended up being more efficient anyway for the kind of tiled backgrounds we were creating.

We are waiting for Unity 3.4 to see how efficient the collider tweaking becomes, before proceeding to spend more time on the tool. (http://blogs.unity3d.com/2011/06/16/unity-roadmap-2011/).

We are definitely interested in feedback, if enough people think the mesh drawing thing is useful, we could justify spending time on it.

unikron

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  12. aigam

aigam

Hi!

It would be great if the engine supports some function to load specific image.
    Not only for the 3gs - iphone 4 (midmap solution consumes so much memory to be an acceptable solution for some aplications), but also if we need load better graphics.

For example, ipad 1 vs ipad 2 the memory is really different, some times I will need to load the images compressed for ipad 1, but I want to use them with full quality on ipad 2.

Obviously it can be done loading different sprites depending of the hardware, but if we can easily do this with the same sprite, it can be great.

13. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Hi all,

Version 1.03 has just been submitted to the asset store.
    Changes in this version are:
    - More error messages warnings instead of error messages in the console
    - Reminder when texture is being cropped by Unity, due to max texture size
    - Autocrop textures by default. Any empty space (zero alpha) in your texture is automatically cropped to save texture space and fillrate.
    - Multiline support in textmesh

unikron

14. MvD

MvD

Hi, I bought the 2D Toolkit yesterday, and it's very nice to use. However, I ran into a problem. The sprites are not perfectly pixel-perfect. This happens only with bigger sprites. See the image at http://www.flickr.com/photos/55670043@N05/5929895086/in/photostream. On the left is the original asset, on the right the pixel-perfect sprite. They differ quite a lot. I am using the sprites for my UI, but the buttons don't look as crisp as the original source images. Is this fixable?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  15. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Hi, can you check that the atlas texture isn't limited by unity, and also that it isn't compressed as well?

unikron

16. MvD

MvD

Hi Unikron,

Thanks for the quick reply! Sorry, I should have told you: I tried this with your scene 3 (staticspritebatcher), by importing the 2D toolkit package into an empty Unity project, so you can try it for yourself. The atlas seems to be fine, by the way: the black lines on the chest are perfectly sharp in the atlas, and the chest sprite has the same dimensions as the source sprite. The atlas is pixel-perfect:)

Cheers,
    Matt

17. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Hi Matt,

I have done a test with that chest and I am confident that we get 1:1 pixel mapping in this case. You can verify this yourself by:

- set the resolution on the unity game panel to 960x640 (which is the target res set up for the demo, and the default for 2d toolkit.)
    - resize your Game viewport so unity isn't scaling it down
    - get a screengrab and paste this into photoshop and overlay the source png on top of the scene
    - the size of the sprite should be exactly the same as the source, but the actual texture will not match 100% for the reasons explained below.

There seems to be two separate issues (not necessarily problems) in that scene.

1. The first is that the atlas texture is set up with Bilinear filtering turned on. It is probably a good idea to turn that off if you are after 100% pixel perfect sprites, which leads to the second point.

2. The sprite isn't positioned at a pixel boundary. This means that with filtering turned on, it will be displaying a filtered value halfway in-between the texels.

If you retry the experiment with Filter Mode set to Point on the atlas texture, you will find that the textures match, and that the black lines will be solid as in the source.

If you have any further problems, please drop us a PM and we will take this further.

Regards,
    unikron

18. Jodon

Jodon

Hello, it's me again ;). I'm thinking of using lights in my scenes with sprites. Right now, the system does not allow for dynamic lighting, everything is self-lit. This can be easily remedied by sprinkling mesh.RecalculateNormals(); in the few places the vertices are modified in tk2dSprite (or calculating the normal yourself as Vector3.back), then supplying a new shader that supports lighting. The only down side to doing this is that you cannot use the Color feature of the sprites, as the Vertex Colors are now lighting dependent you cannot color the vertices (you would need to modify the material's color at runtime, thereby cloning the material... but I don't use the Color feature so it doesn't bug me).

The reason I'm writing is to consider this for inclusion into the library. I'm sure some 2d games would look cool with dynamic lighting, like a dungeon crawler. If anyone else wants dynamic lights, the above method works in the meantime.

Cheers.

19. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Hi,

Thanks Jodon for those notes. I'm sure it will come in handy for anyone else who is trying to implement something similar.

I think including normals is probably the best option for now. Vector3.back would be sufficient as the sprites are created in only one orientation. i.e. the only place which really needs to be modified is tk2dSprite and maybe tk2dBaseSprite.

You could still use Color with the materials, only it would be tinting the texture prior to any lighting operations. Whilst adding normals, tangents too could be a useful addition, as then (in theory, but in practice would be a bit more complicated to set up) you could have a tangent space normal map for bump mapping which could be really useful for some types of 2d games.

I'm not sure of the usefulness of something like this being included by default in the package, as there will be a fairly hefty size increase per vertex. Not supporting dynamic lighting was a concious decision to get the best shader performance and memory consumption

If there is enough interest we could justify creating a (probably paid) addon pack for that does this (will have to be a new set of classes to support dual atlas generation for normal maps, so it won't be trivial). Our immediate priority is to set up some sort of dynamic texture loading as it has been requested a few times.

unikron

20. spartan

spartan

I tried to update from 1.02 to 1.03 on the Asset Store and the only thing new is the pdf manual? (that's what Unity allow my to import as new files).
    Are you sure that you uploaded the new files?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  21. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

All the files were up to date when I uploaded them. I'll check if I can get the .unitypackage from the unity guys to check.

Unikron

22. aigam

aigam

To achieve the light effect, the normals of the quad will no be sufficient, it will look really really simple.
    If you want to achieve this effect on 2d, you need to use a normal map. Is a little more complex, but it looks like 1 million times better.

23. ArtX

ArtX

Hi,

I am already bought this toolkit. I found some issues :
    - texture atlas created with not optimal algorithm as result i have biggest texture. How to fix it?
    - is it possible to create sprite collection depends on already created sprite sheet ?
    - how to create reverse sprite animation without creation of new clip?

24. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

1. About large textures, you can turn on dicing which will chop and trim them up. Check the first demo which demonstrates it.
    2. No. Perhaps you could run a batch process in photoshop to do it the once?
    3. No, not right now. We could add a duplicate clip and reverse button if thatll be useful?

Regards,
    Unikron

25. MvD

MvD

Hi Unikron,

Yes you are totally right:at the correct resolution, and with point filtering, the sprites are indeed pixel-perfect.

Thanks,
    Matt

26. spartan

spartan

Unikron,

Have you reviewed why the update 1.03 does not download all new files?

Thanks

27. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Hi Spartan,

Unfortunately that hasn't been resolved yet. We will be submitting a new update this Friday, so hopefully your issue will be resolved then.

Unikron

28. ArtX

ArtX

1. Thanks, the problem was when i added image 1024px in width
    2. My problem that i already have sprite sheets but do not have сut sprites)
    3. Yes, it will be helpful and save lot of time

29. spartan

spartan

Unikron,

I have an issue with the physics demo. I tried to put a background (640px height). The camera has an ortho size of 10 by default and when I test it on an iPhone 4, the background is pixelated. The crates are showing well.

Thanks

30. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Hi Spartan,
    Can you check that the max texture size on the atlas texture is not limited to 1024 which I believe is the default. If that's the case we have added a warning in 1.03 but it looks like 1.03 didn't upload correctly.

Unikron

31. spartan

spartan

Hi Unikron,

My texture should be 1024px max, because they need to work on iPhone 3G model (which does not support textures larger than 1024x1024). But I need the retina display resolution too for the iPhone 4.
    Can you fix this issue?

Thanks

32. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

If the actual atlas ends up being larger than 1024x1024, you could enable dicing to improve packing drastically. Dicing is perfectly fine on background textures and you get quite a bit of control over the tile sizes. Perhaps that could solve your problem?

Alternatively, you can split the backgrounds into another sprite collection if that suits your workflow better...

Unikron

33. spartan

spartan

Thanks Unikron,

I will split it in more collections. Will be great if you can add on a future version to auto-split large sprites/backgrounds in collections :)

Thanks

34. spartan

spartan

I think that I discovered a bug:
    Steps to reproduce it:
    1. Create SpriteCollection
    2. Lock it
    3. Drag Texture
    4. Press Edit (before commit)

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    tk2dSpriteCollectionEditorPopup.OnGUI () (at Assets/TK2DROOT/tk2d/Sprites/Editor/tk2dSpriteCollectionEditorPopup.cs:46)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture)

After that, the Unity Inspector stop working and I need to quit and re open Unity.

Also I have another question, I have a texture: 1024x162 (like the green landscape). Why is creating a texture altas of 2048x2048 ?
    Instead of 1024x1024 ?

--- Another bug:
    1. Create SpriteCollection
    2. Lock it
    3. Drag Texture
    4. Commit
    5. Edit
    6. Check Dice, chance dice value
    7. Commit

"Failed cleaning up Optimized GUI Block"
    And the inspector stop working

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  35. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Hello again,

The first bug was fixed in 1.03 I believe, but I'll get that tested before 1.04 is submitted on Friday.

The second behaviour is expected as the system pads out the texture for correct behaviour when filtering is enabled. I'll get an option added for pixel perfect mode where padding is disabled when point filtering is used.

I will get the third issue looked at ASAP. I have seen that error message before but never been able to reproduce it; also it never caused any problem with the inspector stopping working like you described. Will definitely get that sorted out.

Unikron

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  36. spartan

spartan

Hi Unikron,

Another question. Is there a way to get 2D Toolkit working under Plugins folder? Because I need to get it compiled before my scripts.

Thanks

--
    Solved the issue: just created a Plugins folder and moved the Scripts under "Sprite" folder without the Editor subfolder.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  37. edwood_grant

edwood_grant

I bought it and I liked it a lot :D.

As someone who made its own attempt to create a 2D system (which was working fine, but too many small details to handle and maintain it) This tool is a very nice time saver n_n.

Probably the best feature is, as many say, the workflow of everything, it works pretty nicely and intuitive. It feels organized and you can sotre all your assets in a specific folder withouth too much of a hassle.

I also love that its very optimized for mobile. The static sprite batcher is a very nice idea :).

My only two request might be the chance of letting the sprite get illuminated by custom lighting without having to alter the code. I know its just one line with recalculateNormals, but a checkbox could be nice :p (or maybe link the color of the sprite to a light, that could be interesting too :)). And also having scrollable sprites would be a nice addition (then again, you can make it.. but you know, time saving ideas could be nice n_n).

Other than that its a very nice tool for the price they ask :). I recommend it.

Edit: In fact I created a script to link a light with a color and now everytime you change the light color the sprite does too :). Its is not as perfect as full dynamic lighting (but maybe with some tweaks could work)... but It works great for simple lighting (likeone directional light for example)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  38. Pixeye

Pixeye

Hello, Unikron!

Im using sprite manager2 right now, but thinking about buying your tool ( it looks much more easier and clear to use, and what i like best is ability to work with texts), but the point is that all work with sprites im doing from code, i saw on demos that you introduced workflow with your tool via editor. If it possible to work via code and if so, is there an documentation?

Pixeye

39. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Hi.

The recommended workflow is to create prefabs, set them up visually, and then instantiate them in code. If this won't work for you send me a PM, and we will send you some code which does it.

Incidentally that is the only path we use internally, hence the api functions not being present to instantiate in code.

Regards,
    Unikron

40. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Thanks for purchasing 2d toolkit and I am really glad that you like it :)

About your requests, we are considering a lighting add on. Need to do more experiments to get some nice per pixel lighting working there. Will post in the thread if we get anywhere with this.

About what you were doing with the light, attaching the color to a light color, it will involve regenerating the mesh colors each time the mesh changes. This may not be such a bad thing, and indeed we do exactly this in one of our games and are perfectly happy with performance on iPhone. It may be quicker to add an multiplied ambient term to the shader and modifying that. Should definitely be faster on ES2 as the mesh won't need to be regenerated every time the color changes. Not sure about ES1 though.
    You are free to change the material once it has been set up for the first time.

Unikron

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  41. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Hi all,

1.04 has been submitted to the Asset Store. Hopefully the problem with uploading 1.03 has been fixed.

Changelog:
    - more bug fixes
    - added "Pixel Perfect Point Sampled" mode - disables padding and sets filtering to Point, for when you only need 1:1 pixel perfect sprites.

unikron

p.s. if you need this sooner, let us know (and PM us your invoice number) and we will see what we can do.

42. gamedev123

gamedev123

Is anyone using 2D Toolkit alongside Playmaker? If so - please share your experiences!

43. Ante

Ante

It sounds like this is exactly what I need for a new project I'm working on, but I had a few questions about pixel-perfect sprites.

First of all, how do they handle changes in resolution? Are they always truely "pixel perfect" or will they scale up if, say, ran at the iPhone 4's resolution versus the iPhone's original resolution? At the iPhone 4's resolution, to be truly pixel perfect, they'd be half the size.

Also, can pixel-perfect sprites be scaled? For instance, if I wanted the pixels to be 4 times as big without actually quadrupling the size of the texture.

Why I'm asking this is with my last game I used Sprite Manager and especially on lower-resolution devices, the pixel art would sit between the screen's actual pixels and distort it a bunch.

44. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Hi Ante,

I'll try and answer your questions as best I can.

Regarding change in resolution, the best option for now is to set up the scene for iPhone4 with 2x sized textures, and enable mipmapping. Then you can use Unity's built in quality adjustment feature (http://bit.ly/nM0fWY) to not load the top mipmap on iPhone3g/s. Alternatively, you can have two sprite collections, set up identically but with 1/2 size textures on a second and pick sprites from there instead. This isn't ideal, and we are working to improve this for future versions.

Pixel perfect sprites can be scaled, yes. With version 1.04, enabling "Pixel Perfect Point Sampled" mode will automatically set up point filtering on the texture. When this is enabled, scaling a sprite up 4x will create pixels 4x the size. If you do scale, we recommend using our scale parameter (as opposed to the one in Unity Transform) if you aren't planning on changing it every frame as it will not break batching, but both options will work fine. It is not advisible to scale down, its often better to have smaller versions of the sprite in the collection, as mipmaps should be off in this mode and performance will suffer massively.

Regards,
    unikron

45. organicoder

organicoder

I would like to use 2D toolkit on two different computers. Will I have to buy 2 licenses or can I buy one and use it on both computers?

And one other thing: Will I be able to download patches or updates/upgrades to the toolkit, if you make changes or improvements in the future?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  46. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

You can use it on two computers no problem.

I believe all updates on the Asset store are free. We do not have any plans for paid updates, though we might release paid add ons later, but these will be features outside the scope of the product completely.

Unikron

47. niX_BB

niX_BB

Hi Unikron,

Thank you for the excellent tool, it is a neat little drop in solution. I've started making some additions to our in house version and something everyone is grateful for is this nifty little sort button for the Sprite Collection Editor. It may be something to consider for the next release.

Code (csharp):
    2. EditorGUILayout.BeginHorizontal();
    3. ...
    4. GUILayout.Space(16.0f);
    5. if (GUILayout.Button("Sort"))
    6. {
    7.     System.Array.Sort(gen.textureRefs, (Texture2D x, Texture2D y) => System.String.Compare(x.name, y.name, true));
    8. }
    9. EditorGUILayout.EndHorizontal();
    Thanks again!!

48. griffonz

griffonz

Would also like to hear about this if anyone has....plan on picking up Playmaker tonight.

49. yannalaplage

yannalaplage

Hi Guys,
    Very nice jobs with this plugin.
    Yet I think you could improve easyness of atlas creation by handling the creation of more atlas when one is full. Here you still have to manually handle your collection... could be simpler (one a user point of vue).
    I have another trouble.
    When I put a bunch of files in "Textures Refs" they are not ordered by name but randomly. Here is a screenshot. Can you help ?
    thanks,
    yann.
    $Screen shot 2011-07-21 at 15.40.03.jpg

50. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Hi,

Thanks for that. We wont integrate that outright, but we will be changing the default behaviour so any newly added textures are sorted automatically. The reason for that is that everything is accessed by index, for example, if you added one more sprite to the collection and clicked sort, all created sprites would go horribly wrong.

unikron