Search Unity

2D Tile Based System Alternative

Discussion in '2D' started by beit, Jul 29, 2015.

1. beit

beit

Hello guys,

we are a small indie studio working on a new kind of 2D RPG.
    We are now working on the world graphic and are actually using a tile based system(Tiled + SpriteTile).
    Right now the art team is asking if there is any chance of using a system that do not constrain their creativity to tiles, they would like to have a system that allow us to import world game graphic of "any size".

Do anyone of you have an idea of alternatives to tile based system for a 2D game?

Best,

Enrico

2. blizzy

blizzy

Perhaps you can elaborate on what "any size" actually means?

3. beit

beit

sure, what I mean is that we would like to be able to use graphics of different size and shape. Not being restricted to a squared format. I can think of skeleton animation for example, there you have a sheet with all the graphics on it, and some metadata that describe where the tiles are placed. We would like to achieve something similar, having word graphics like water, grass and so on to not be constrained to a squared size. Does this make more sense to you?

4. blizzy

blizzy

I think that would go against the "tiled" principle those packages use? You can always place sprites manually in addition to those packages. Also, SpriteTile allows you to use "tiles" of any size you want.

5. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

Hi

If you have a pro license, do check https://bitbucket.org/Unity-Technologies/2ddemos/wiki/Home

It contains some of our experimental 2D features. One of the feature we are working on called Smart Sprite allows users to create level in a non-tile based manner.

In the build, we also have an experimental work flow for creating tile based game which you might want to check it out as well.

6. beit

beit

Yes exactly blizzy, the idea is to find a new set of tools that allows us greater flexibility, especially for drawing the game map. As you said SpriteTile should work fine, the problem is to find a tool to draw the map with flexibility.
    SpriteTile editor is good but not to handle a really huge map.
    Thanks Leo for your suggestion, I'll check those features :)