Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

2D RPG game: Isometric projection x 2.5D ?

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by liuhan14, Jul 6, 2015.

1. liuhan14

liuhan14

I'm a fan of Diablo franchise and I wish to make a RPG game with a similar design. It is Unity the best platform for such a project? And if so, what does Unity has to offer that could help me to achieve It? This is my final goal, but as you can see in the tittle of the thread, I also have this question: what is the real difference between the isometric projection and a 2.5D rpg game? With a non-professional, newbie intention, would be better to start with a isometric projection, or does a 2.5D game is a viable project for such interests?
    MAIN GOALS:
    - Unity is a good platform for a RPG Diablo style - like ?
    - Which is the difference between isometric projection and 2.5D?
    - Which utilities does Unity has to assist this project intention?

Thank you very much for your attention

2. Rick Love

Rick Love

Isometric games are tile based. This means you need to use a tile editor (like Tiled) or generate your maps with code - you can design rooms in the editor and stitch them together to generate random dungeons.

2.5D can mean multiple things:

2.5D can mean 3D with a fixed camera angle (everything is 3D and you just fix the camera angle to have an isometric angle).

mega man x8 (is a good example)

2.5D can mean 3D objects with a 2D environment (all the game components are 3D, but they interact with a 2D environment).

The prototype for our platformer tutorial is a good example:

In our prototype I use a tile based environment with 3D objects. I is a good approach that let's you create a nice looking game without spending a great deal of time.

It is possible to do the same with isometric assets.

To answer your other questions:

- Is Unity the best editor to use?

I would choose Unity because you can create anything with it, use a professional language, and publish to any platform

- Does Unity offer any specific tools to work with isometric maps?

I don't think so. However, you are better off creating game content in external tools and importing them into the engine of your choice. This will allow you to move between engines if needed.

I would recommend looking at Tiled for a tile editor: http://www.mapeditor.org/

You can import its data easily if you have decent scripting skills (we will be doing this in the platformer course mentioned above, but this course will not be released immediately and we are working on the timeline for that.)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  3. Brainswitch

Brainswitch

Isometric games do not need to be tile based, isometric games are games with a form of axonometric projection (not always isometric, despite being referred to as isometric games). In axonometric projections the scale of near objects is the same as for far objects. So in regards to Unity, just set your Cameras projection to Orthographic and rotate it to your axonemtric projection of choice.

4. Paykoman

Paykoman

This video explains a lot about diablo 3 environments

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1015306/The-Art-of-Diablo

Take a look cuz it explains that diablo use 2d background with 3d characters/monsters/som assets and then a forground with UI.. The only thing i cant detect properly is in that image bellow wt is 2D and wt is 3D in environment concerns... So if someone can explain me i will appreciate ;)