Search Unity

2D Resources

Discussion in '2D' started by Aurore, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Hey everyone!

Here you can find resources for learning our new 2D system.

Feel free to reply with your own tips and resources you've created or found.

Unity 2D example project

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  2. TheMitic93

TheMitic93

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    ronahattingh likes this.
  3. sballew7

sballew7

That tutorial is okay, but covers the absolute minimum. I look forward to more tutorials coming out that cover more, including animations, physics, etc.

4. kernel_mode

kernel_mode

Now I am doing sample 2D pong game project. It's fairly simple and uses some features that are not covered in official tutorial, so maybe it will help someone starting using new 2D toolkit.
    https://github.com/kernelmode/Pong

Hope this helps someone :)

5. unitylover

unitylover

Ive got a tutorial series in the pipeline that will be be published soon. Ill post links in here when it is up.

6. WillBellJr

WillBellJr

Thanks for this section - it is very much needed!

-Will

7. rawanella

rawanella

thx for this useful Post :)
    but anyone have any useful tutorials that can help me to deal with unity 2D 3.4 - especially to deal with 2D games, that have supported a lot in this new version, but i can't profit from this improvements-?

8. belphegor_h

belphegor_h

hi, i'm new to all of this, im basically a designer but my knowledge of programming (and english) are somekind poor
    where i can find an "official" unity forum in spanish? or a mexican/latin american community?
    im looking for people to found my game dev company, i have part of the people, but still need graphic designers

Bilmaz likes this.
  9. pixeluchebits

pixeluchebits

10. chelnok

chelnok

11. castana1962

castana1962

Hi unitylover,
    Please share these 2D tutorial series...... I am very exciting to learn,,,,,,,,:D
    Thanks for your help !
    Alejandro

12. Pixelnest

Pixelnest

Hey,

I just want to precise that we have updated our "Creating a 2D game with Unity" tutorial with some new (long) chapters covering the 2D animations tools in depth.

--
    Pixelnest

SicraS and Sander140 like this.
  13. ashley

ashley

Thanks for that. Started working through the main tutorial last week and been looking for more info on how animations would work in. I come from a 2D animation background and been looking forward to the Unity 4.3 update in the hopes of being able to use my previous experience. It's good to see exactly how it works :)

14. stema

stema

I was able to build this sample project, it is running fine on windows, but I made also an android version, and on my friend's phone 1920x1080 mt6589 (quad core a7, sgx544 mp2, 9.2 gflops) it has a very low fps. Unity games with much more polygons, textures run much smoother, also games with similar graphics just different engines (eg. angry birds original). Is there something I'm doing wrong? I'm planning on making a few small 2d games, so I was really excited about this feature, but if it's not running smootly on a midrange device.. I hope it's just that I did something wrong :) BTW, for the quality settings I've deleted all, left the fastest one, which had aniso and shadows turned off, no aa, no vsync, and we also tried to build it with multithreaded rendering, but still it's about 5fps even though his car racing project runs with 60fps. Okay that's a 3d game, maybe I'm comparing apples to oranges :)

edit: as I created a new project, I've added an fps counter, the result was better (I installed unity once, for that I made a project, and that's where I imported the sample, but now I've created a new one for it). Still the fps is between 20-30. I've tried to reduce the sprite texture sizes, but I had no luck with that either. The fps gain was only caused by the new project.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  15. ChrisSomething

ChrisSomething

Those are fantastic tutorials, thanks for doing them. I'm really looking forward to checking out the upcoming chapters.

16. wktk3

wktk3

17. unitylover

unitylover

I've got some Unity 2D write-ups and resources at http://imakeinternet.com and I'll be expanding upon these in the near future. If anyone has any suggestions for topics please PM me and I'll gladly cover it.

18. ashley

ashley

19. unitylover

unitylover

20. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I've set up an asset store package containing a ton of 2D hand-painted assets for side-scrolling games.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/14090

More details on the asset store page, but you can find the web player demo-game (which includes other assets from the store) here:

http://www.sfbaystudios.com/ForestDemoGame.html

It's set up in the new system, works with 3D models or 2D sprites. The demo game above uses 3D models from the asset store as well as particle systems.

$forest.jpg

21. CarterG81

CarterG81

Class/Code I wrote to make up for the fact that in most people's desperation to keep up with new technology, they either completely forget about or don't care to consider classic methods and simple functions, like the ability to color specific pixels or do a simple copy when creating a new object in code, like
    Texture2D texture = new Texture2D(oldtexture); //Copies a texture, instead of assigning a reference to it.
    The above code should be default in Unity's API, but is glossed over by failing to consider retro games (like pixel art) in favor of modern technology (like how FTL uses unique spritesheet textures for silly things like the glow around a character. This isn't so much FTL's doing, as it is the insistence of modern tech to abandon the old way of handling assets in favor of...whatever, for whatever reason. Mainly 3D reasons.)

Here is the link to the code:
    Easiest way to change color of certain pixels in a single Sprite.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  22. unitylover

unitylover

23. V0odo0

V0odo0

24. CarterG81

CarterG81

I'm going to just add all of these threads, which I found very helpful and interesting.
    A lot of these questions seem to be common questions.

For any problems with 2D rendering in Unity and pixels being distorting, check this post HERE

The only real solution as of 10/12/2014: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/14498

For an idea of what resolution to draw sprites at for game art (or any digital art).
    What-Resolution-should-I-be-painting-sprites-in

For a free Unity plugin to convert a TexturePacker spritesheet into Unity Sprites with a single click.
    TexturePacker-to-Sprite

Pixel Perfect Rendering NPOT Distorted Textures
    Pixel-perfect-2d-in-4-3

How to Change the color of a Sprite or Texture2D based on User Input
    Easiest-way-to-change-color-of-certain-pixels-in-a-single-Sprite
    The Shader Code (bugs exist- discussed in thread)
    The Class Code (Slower load times. All should be done before a scene fully loads. Sprite, Texture2D, or SpriteSheet has to be 'Advanced - Sprite' with Read/Write enabled.)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  25. maxiedaniels

maxiedaniels

26. Ankit-Priyarup

Ankit-Priyarup

I am developing an 2D endless running game. Right now i am using unity robot graphics that is available on asset store but i want multiple characters so any idea about where i could get free robot spritesheet

27. webuzer

webuzer

how much the cost of uniyu robot?? or is it free??

28. Ankit-Priyarup

Ankit-Priyarup

it's free on asset store

29. webuzer

webuzer

do u mean robot lab??? do u know what is the function of robot lab??

30. 2Ultra

2Ultra

Does anyone have any tutorials for tile map animation?

CalvBore likes this.
  31. Bilmaz

Bilmaz

i am interested in to help you with your company i am a developer have experience in development it also a benefit for also inbox me detail

32. OmegaGrim

OmegaGrim

Hey Devs,
    If anyone is working on a 2d sidescroll project, Here is a great starter project kit.

CRASH RACER 2D TOOLKIT

Lots of good 2d art for any sidescrollers.

33. medvedya2012

medvedya2012

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  34. rubyblack

rubyblack

I made these little robot sprites for my university game and thought I'd release them for others to use because they look really cute and neat in-game. Top row is idle, second row is running/walking, third row is jumping/falling and last row is clinging to a wall. They are 32 x 32px each :) Also included the PSD file in the zip folder so you can edit them. Hope someone finds this little guy useful - feel free to use however you wish

Attached Files:

deviantony, xylofiso and Kuan like this.
  35. Deleted User

Deleted User

36. nguyentaikhoa2003

nguyentaikhoa2003

I want to recommend this site. This has a lot of Unity tutorial and graphics resouces.

37. MassiveMonsterGames

MassiveMonsterGames

38. Zwenley275

Zwenley275

how do you apply scripts?

39. KevinWM

KevinWM

40. ronahattingh

ronahattingh

41. Ibraprime19

Ibraprime19

parle bien parle pas chinois