Search Unity

2D physics material bounce problem

Discussion in '2D' started by pandabear, Sep 3, 2015.

1. pandabear

pandabear

Im following this course but when I got into physics material 2D the and set the bounciness to 1 the ball keeps bouncing higher and higher. shouldn't that be that the ball will bounce on the same height no matter what?

I am using Unity 5

Here is the image of my ball properties and the physics material

1 indicates a perfect bounce with no loss of energy, so how come that every time my ball bounce it keeps getting higher?

2. bkmagnetron

bkmagnetron

Same here I'm also following this course and I'm having the same issue.
    Version: 5.2.2f1

Ban-Tam likes this.
  3. tedthebug

tedthebug

On the physics material, is it set to average, multiply or whatever the other option is?

4. bkmagnetron

bkmagnetron

Solved after changing the Collision Detection of Rigidbody 2D to Continuous. But I noticed slight higher, lower, higher, lower... bounces. But in previous version(4) there is no need to change from Discrete to Continuous.
    @tedthebug sorry I don't understand what you're saying I hope you're talking about Physics2D Material.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  5. tedthebug

tedthebug

sorry, I was confused with 3D as I've used it on both 2d & 3D games.

I've never had this issue in my 2d games

6. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

That's because the physics engine is not very precise. There is a web page comparing bounces for the same (or approximate) settings on various 3d engines like bullet, havok, newton and physx and the imprecision is really noticeable. I can't find the link any longer, sorry.