Search Unity

2D pathfinding

Discussion in '2D' started by Gureen_Ryuu, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Gureen_Ryuu

Gureen_Ryuu

I realize that Unity2D has just been released, but I want to ask if there's any solutions to pathfinding and navigation that can be used for it? I tried Aron's A* plugin, but it doesn't seem to work with 2D colliders, just 3D ones.

I don't know if I should use a mix of 2D and 3D colliders and how efficient that will be.. (2D for physics and 3D for the pathfinding) or if there is an upcoming plugin for that.

2. nuverian

nuverian

That is something I was wondering as well. I really think that they should make possible to user navmesh with the 2D system in a convinient way

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

By 2D pathfinding do you mean platform game style or top down? top down is trivial with http://arongranberg.com/astar/ or navmesh. 2D Platform game pathfinding is by large not necessary. It becomes really necessary when you have island situations and things like that, and A* isn't the sole solution, but more of a check for an opening.

4. Gureen_Ryuu

Gureen_Ryuu

It's top down 2D. But as I mentioned, Aron's A* isn't working with 2D colliders. :(

5. unitylover

unitylover

6. Gureen_Ryuu

Gureen_Ryuu

I haven't used unity in a while, and never got around to Navmeshes. Is it still an pro only solution, since I have the free version.

Also, will it enable group pathfinding that's available in Aron's A*? I know it works with colliders, but I don't know if it will work with a nav mesh to allow avoiding dynamic obstacles.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  7. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

could use 2d ray casting to detect 2d Colliders, and just do some simple collision avoidance, like "if ( I'm about to hit wall) { avoid it }" kind of thing...

8. half_voxel

half_voxel

Just fyi (I know the post is a few weeks old). The A* Pathfinding Project now supports 2D colliders when using grid graphs.

9. Jeronimous

Jeronimous

I find this thread to be most helpful. Thank you all!

10. westykid

westykid

Hey guys, just jumping in with more questions (i figure that's the right thing to do right? rather than start a new thread for the same topic?)

I'm working on a point and click adventure game and I've kinda hit a wall with the code, so far I have a ray from the mouse checking if you've clicked on the floor collider then using the Vec2 position as an iTween.MoveTo position (i can share the code if anyone's interested).

Works great so far but as the level is a flat sprite and any form is merely 'suggested' it won't necessarily have colliders/gaps in the way for an engine to use. I was thinking i'd probably have to overlay a series of polygons over it to map out the ok areas by hand. Anyone got any other thoughts?
    $Screen Shot 2014-01-12 at 19.25.30.png

11. nuverian

nuverian

Actually this is something of how I wanted to do it for my Adventure Game Framework as well (sig if interested). So I've made up a pathfinding package as standalone since it might find other uses as well, you can see it here if you like:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/224962-Poly-Nav-Pathfinding-for-4-3-2D

Sorry if this sounded like a shameless promotion..

12. siddharth3322

siddharth3322

I want A* path finding algorithm for my 2d game. I have read about NevMesh but it doesn't work for 2d game. If you guys have implementation of A* algorithm for 2d game then please share it.

13. NelsonPunch

NelsonPunch

Maybe this can help

14. siddharth3322

siddharth3322

15. rakkarage

rakkarage

16. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

Is there planned support for 2D colliders taken into account in the RecastGraph?

17. vhman

vhman

18. RidgeWare

RidgeWare

I found the easiest solution was simply to manage/update a 2D array in the code (very easy to do if you're using a tilemap) and have the A* Pathfinding base everything off the array. No need for Unity itself to do anything at all.

Very efficient too - updating an array costs barely nothing at all.

(Obviously the sequence of when objects update the array needs to be done with some careful thought, to avoid units physically moving into/through nodes too soon).

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  19. AAManiqueH

AAManiqueH

Hellow guys, i have an issue
    I saw the youtube video of Brackerys about pathfinding, it works well but just for region or space
    upload_2020-4-28_22-6-51.png
    The space between the red lines is where the pathfinding method works well, if the enemy is out of the red line
    their pathfinding component makes him to return to the line and not to follow my playable character
    Between the red lines the enemys follows the playable charater well
    I dont know what this could be, please help with this topic
    If need it i will show the code

Thanks guys