Search Unity

2D Particle Collider

Discussion in '2D' started by pat68, Feb 8, 2016.

1. pat68

pat68

Dear all,

does someone know how to modify the position of the generated colider for particles?
    The the collider is currently outside of the sprite. I put the origin of the sprite in the center.

Also, what is meaning of "Dynamic collider" ?

Greetings
    Pat

2. LiterallyJeff

LiterallyJeff

I don't know enough about particle collision to know why they're not aligned with your sprite, but as far as the Dynamic Collider checkbox, it's defined in the documentation:

"Allows the particles to also collide with dynamic objects. Otherwise only static objects are used."
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/PartSysCollisionModule.html

3. pat68

pat68

Yes, thank you - I missed this.
    Does anyone from the support team read this? I am really not sure if this is a bug or a feature ;)

From the docs it should behave like expected:

When collisions are enabled, the size of a particle is sometimes a problem because its graphic can be clipped as it makes contact with a surface. This can result in a particle appearing to “sink” partway into a surface before stopping or bouncing. The Particle Radius property addresses this issue by defining an approximate circular radius for the particles. This size information is used to prevent clipping and avoid the sinking-in effect.

I think the radius should be in the middle of the objects (sprites).

Greetings
    Pat

4. LiterallyJeff

LiterallyJeff

Aside from the positioning issue, are the colliders working as expected otherwise? Are you seeing the same result with different sprites?

5. ColossalPaul

ColossalPaul

Unity Technologies

1. The particles don't use collider2d component. The colliders that you see are just visualizations.
    2. I can see the collider visuals accurately on my system. Please submit a bug thanks!

LiterallyJeff likes this.