Search Unity

2D or 3D ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by soussana, Jul 28, 2015.

1. soussana

soussana

Hello guys,

If i want to make a 2.5D isometric infinity like engine same as baldurs gate, pillars of eternity etc. what kind of unity i need to use ? 2D or 3D ?

Thanks,
    Harel.

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

There is only Unity (no "Unity 2D or 3D"), so it's not really clear what you're asking. Maybe you're talking about sprites vs. models? Use whatever you feel works best for you.

--Eric

Kiwasi likes this.
  3. Ryiah

Ryiah

He may be referring to the option in the launcher when you create a new project.

4. Frpmta

Frpmta

Make a 3D project.
    Import a 3D environment, place it in the game scene and mess around with the camera until you get the view you want. Play around with ortographic and perspective view to see what is the exact look you desire.

After getting that perfect view, you can start to contemplate about functionality:
    Are you going to make it so colliders match the level design geometry? Then use 3D colliders.
    Are you going to treat level design geometry like a flat plane, or use hand-painted backgrounds instead of 3D geometry? Then feel free to use 2D colliders.

In the specific case of Project Eternity:

^
    It could be the baking of a fixed view of a 3D model into a flat plane.
    Or it could be a hand-painted background.
    Either way, the colliders in the scene are 3D. It is a personal decision. For example, flying enemies: if you use a 3D collider, when they are flying high, you don't have to script "if flying high, can't reach", because your weapon can't reach. But if you use a 2D collider, you will have to code "disable collider if flying high" or "if enemy.transform.y>playerheight then can't hit".

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  5. soussana

soussana

well...

but you see what the lead programmer of the so called 'project eternity' say : we used a 2D which it quite amazing make me wonder in which program they made they script the game.

unfortunatley im very bad in hand painting and graphic in general and thats why im in search of 2 graphic/paint designers.

I think the crpg's are all "flat plane" as baldurs gate , icewind dale and planescape : torment.
    In project eternity they added the 3D colliders as dynimic waters, lights shaders etc.

thanks for your comment,
    harel.

6. Frpmta

Frpmta

He said "It is a render of a rendering of a 3D image that we touched up in 2D".
    They made the base layout in 3D, then baked it into a 2D image and proceed to touch it up the same way many modern matte painters do.
    Was looking for a tutorial I liked about someone modeling a city base layout in Zbrush and then finishing it in Photoshop, but couldn't find it.

But if you can't paint, 3D modeling at least has the benefit of being able to move around props and reorganize rooms/maps/levels.
    You could do this and get the same results:

(Note this is the new Valve Source engine Hammer editor, but any engine can do this)

And between, the game engine used by Project Eternity is Unity.
    Just like every game project, they of course make use of custom in-house tools to agilize production.

7. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

This option dosent actually do much.
    • Editor view defaults to orthographic aligned along the z axis
    • Images are imported as sprites instead of texture by default
    So the ultimate answer is hit whatever setting you like. It only a couple of clicks to change. In most of my games, 2D or 3D I end up switching back and forwards between editor views anyway. And I'll often end up using sprites and textures and weird other stuff as well.

8. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I would go with 3d for two reasons.

1) There's tons of premade assets for top down 3d rpg stuff.

2) With all the player animations involved it will most likely be the less expensive option.

9. soussana

soussana

Frpmta :

i know a lot of pro-artist that use Zbrush.

To be honest i really imprest with Dota 2 if the assets is build on its could be great and really looks very comftorble to work with.

yeh and i read that in pillars of eternity they used unity but they have a great companions of programers their leading programmer is well known charecter in the game-developing industry.

Ill give DOTA 2 a try, again thanks for helping.

harel.

10. soussana

soussana

hello again,

i tried the game DOTA 2, its nice but still i need 'assets' for unity thats i think is the main problem for those who cant paint by themself...

any suggestions ?

11. Ostwind

Ostwind

There are not many options then for that type games. You either use different stores or hire an artist to do them. If you don't have any budget then you pretty much have to learn yourself or try your luck in collaboration section however no pay projects usually never finish and people disappear when they lose interest.