Search Unity

2D Ninja Game Series(SideScroller) OnGoing - CSharp - Novice

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Mrslayer01, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Mrslayer01

Mrslayer01

Hello everyone Lyle here and after much trial and error i've decided that i want to make a game, and finish it for once. So to keep my self from getting sidetracked on 6 different game ideas at one time ive decided to focus on 1 a 2D Ninja Game. My goal is to make a game just has challenging as some of the original Ninja Gaiden game for the NES(Not as complicated) but still fun. I'm inviting all of you too join me on this journey and collaborate with me by giving ideas of what you would like too see implemented into the game.

I go In Depth on every line of code I type, cause I'm not only setting out to make a game, I'm also hoping you might just learn something along the way. As stated in the title this series will be on going untill we are happy with the game(Which I think will be impossible for everyone to be happy) but I don't plan on stopping it any time soon.

As of 8/28/2014 I have 10 videos (Just over 6 Hours) made of this series with more too come. The reason i decided to go ahead and put up these first videos instead of the entire series like I usually do, is because i dunno I ran out of ideas. I got some of the basics I wanted to cover but the game is just getting started and at this point it can be any sidescroller from (Castlevania, to Mega-Man) and ill take it in any direction you guys want me too, but overall ill stick to Ninja Gaiden as my main inspiration.

YouTube PlayList

Like I said I have 10 videos made with just over 6 hours so be sure to leave a comment or send me a message on what you would like to see added.

Took out the Game link for right now will be adding back in later!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  2. Mrslayer01

Mrslayer01

***Reserved for updates***

Updated the Link to the game and fixed a bug with the Ranger's Animation. - 8/28/2014

Part 11 is now out! (In Part 11 I go over a way to make a Player Health Bar go down when taking damage) - 8/28/2014

Posted the Updated Version of the game, now includes up to part 11 - 8/28/2014

Part 12 is now out! (In Part 12 I show how to make the player invulnerable after getting attacked) - 8/31/2014

Updated the Game Link to the new version as of Part 12 - 8/31/2014

Part 13 is now out! (In Part 13 We go over how to add Hazards such as Lava and Spikes, as well as introduce the use and function of Ladders in our game) - 9/2/2014

Updated the Game Link to the new version of the game as of Part 13 - 9/2/2014

Parts 14 15 and 15.5 are now out! (In these parts we start development on a Top-Down Overworld for our game, through out these parts we add in the animation and movement for our player on a Top-Down Environment) - 9/4/2014

Parts 16,17,18, and 19 are out (Int these parts we finish up our Over world (for right now) I also discuss the direction i'm wanting to take the game in.) - 9/29/2014

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  3. Mrslayer01

Mrslayer01

***Game Play***

***Player***
    The Player can move left or right using A and D, jump with Space.
    That Player can throw Ninja Stars by aiming with the mouse and left clicking.

***Player Health***
    The Player can take four hits before re spawning at the previous checkpoint.

***Enemies***
    Ninja Grunt - Chase the Player and deal damage to the Player when the Ninja Grunt get close.

Ninja Ranger - Chases the Player and Throws Ninja Stars towards the Player, When the Player Gets Close the Nina Ranger runs away from the player while still Throwing Ninja Stars.

***Hazards***

Spikes - The Player Takes a Heart of damage while continuing to stand in them.

Lava - The Player Dies and re spawns at the last checkpoint when touching lava.

That's all for the Enemies / Hazards, if you have any ideas for new ones or tweaks to the current ones let me know!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  4. DalerHakimov

DalerHakimov

Why to do not do it for mobile? Like Android? Explain all specific things for mobile control, adding GUI (using the new 4.6 GUI system), how to scale it properly for all device resolutions, and etc..

5. Mrslayer01

Mrslayer01

That's a pretty good idea, the only thing is i don't have a device to do testing on ATM but if i could pick one up or even make a separate tut for the same game just using the android SDK or even IOS ill defiantly do it, for instance you can fire by tapping on the screen, not quite sure how i would do the movement but i have not looked into mobile devlopment too much, but great idea ill definitely look into it and give you credits for the idea :)

6. Mrslayer01

Mrslayer01

Part 13 is now out! (In Part 13 We go over how to add Hazards such as Lava and Spikes, as well as introduce the use and function of Ladders in our game)

7. Mrslayer01

Mrslayer01

Parts 14 15 and 15.5 are now out! (In these parts we start development on a Top-Down Overworld for our game, through out these parts we add in the animation and movement for our player on a Top-Down Environment)

8. Rozenkai

Rozenkai

i've just started watching your videos they're great but can barely read was wondering if u could post a follow along script so i can read that along side coz i keep getting error on last part of first vid

//ad vertical Velocity to actual Movement
    dist.y = verticalVelocity * Time.deltaTime;

//apply the movement to the cc.
    cc.Move (dist);

says the equals signs and the two brackets are not valid and cant figure out why

9. Mrslayer01

Mrslayer01

I'm really sorry about that i forgot to zoom in on that video :/ but yeah i can do a follow along anyway to make it easier for people too understand especially for the early videos before i changed the scheme to something darker and easier to read like in the later videos. but about that error be sure it is in the FixedUpdate method if you like you can post the fixed update method here and ill be glad to take a look. sorry again! here is the base script for the first video btw Video 1

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  10. Mrslayer01

Mrslayer01

Hello everyone! Sorry about the delays in videos but i'm still making this series don't worry! To make up for the wait ive just uploaded Parts 16-19 which add's functionality to our over world and switching between levels the videos will be in the PlayList Above. I'm going to be more consistent with the uploads will try to upload at least 1 - 2 videos a week for now, got work and personal stuff also it takes a while for me to make the scripts. As always I appreciate all the feedback I've been getting, and if you have any questions or ideas post a comment!