Search Unity

2D Infinite Runner Toolkit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Dreeka, Jun 9, 2013.

1. AW72

AW72

I am also wondering if there is a way to add more than 2 characters to the store? The code looks like it sets the yellow submarine as default and then chooses the green submarine if it is purchased, so I'm unsure how I would go about having more than 2 optional characters. Thanks for your help.

2. Dreeka

Dreeka

@Bomalidi
    In the current version, the GUI works heavily with mecanim state machines. For example, when you press the pause button, the GUI Manager check's the value of the "Visible" parameter in the pause menu's animator component. It is highly possible, that somehow you modified the value on your own, and the GUI Manager thinks that the pause menu is visible, while it is not, so instead of bringing it to view, it keeps it in the hidden position.

Have you modified the menu animations, or the GUI Manager?

@bill2432
    An 5.0 compatibility update will be submitted next week.

@John Sandrey
    Currently, if you use a power up, it's button gets hidden, until you start the level again, or collect that type of power up.

@AW72
    The inventory bug should be fixed by now. Are you using the latest version?
    About the third submarine, I will try to add it to the 5.0 update.

3. AW72

AW72

Great that would be really helpful if there was a third character option. I noticed the problem on an old project so that may not have been the updated version-- I was just concerned about the problem. Thank you for your help.

4. Teesay

Teesay

Hello,

First I would like to thank you for the great application and really nice code :)
    I am quite satisfied with buying your game template to better learn and progress with game creation :)

I have also noticed issue (currently only on trying to click on pause button), that sometime the GUI disappears, and the whole thing gets blocked with any error.
    Unfortunately I am not experienced yet with animators and overall quite new to Unity, so I wasn't able myself to locate the issue (especially when there are no errors thrown).

I managed to rather replicate this problem rather easily by fast clicking on the pause button after the pause menu was invoked at least once.
    For example: start game, press pause button, then resume (or restart), then quickly press the pause button (as if quickly pressing "helps" in initiating the error sooner, though slow clicking also breaks GUI, you just might need more retries to recreate the issue).
    This occurs on all builds (all platforms) and in simulator (for which I was happy, to increase the chance for repairing).
    I also managed to "break" the game on webplayer link in the asset store, to ensure the "vanilla" version without any changes is affected also).

5. AW72

AW72

I am also having a problem similar to the one posted above where the "finish panel" that pops up after the character has died (containing the shop button and missions) does not display. Therefore, the game is "broken" after the player dies because the player can not quit the game or do anything on the screen. You have to manually close the game to escape this window and even then there is no way to restart the game. This only happens after my build the game on my android phone and play it. It does not happen in the Unity editor. Any idea as to what could be causing this?

6. John_Boss

John_Boss

After i quit the game and enter it again all the coins are gone. Probably is something i did wrong... Do you guys had this problem?

7. Dreeka

Dreeka

A quick update about the new version:
    I have fixed the bugs I found so far, and now working on the third submarine. I will be able to submit it to the asset store in 1-2 days.

8. Dreeka

Dreeka

Update 2.4 has been submitted to the Asset Store!

Changelog:
    o Unity 5 support added
    o Issue with the pause menu has been fixed
    o Issue with some menu elements not showing has been fixed
    o Third submarine added

9. Artiers

Artiers

Hello, the last updates made showed only up in the webplayer. The assets did not change at all in the store. Is there a waiting period?

10. Dreeka

Dreeka

@Artiers:
    The update has been submitted to the Asset Store, but it is not live yet. It has to be accepted by the asset store team first. The process can take a few days.

Update:
    The 2.4 update has been approved by the Unity Asset Store team, and is now live!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  11. kun_at_tribes

kun_at_tribes

Hi there,

We are considering getting your kit as the base of our game; however, I have some questions before proceeding:

1. Is it possible to have hand-designed levels instead of purely random levels?
    1b. Is it possible to have a mix?
    2. Is there a "run-and-jump" movement style built in, or do we have to add it in ourselves? Is there documentation on character movement?

12. Dreeka

Dreeka

Hey,

1. Currently, the level generator is working with hand designed level segments, so not pure random. If you want to make the level look the same every time the player plays the level, then you don't need a level generator (unless you want a seed based level generator, which gives the same result every time with the same seed).
    2. The kit does not contain a jump and run movement, so you need to implement it yourself. There is a documentation attached to the kit, the contains a lot of information.

13. ukiqbal

ukiqbal

Hi,

I am looking for ready game of this any one ready to work pls.

14. natella

natella

Dreeka
    Hi! How can I create and use one animation for submarine 1 and different animation for submarine 2 and change them in the shop? Please, help me

15. rupert213

rupert213

@Dreeka : Hi, The toolkit is very great! but I am still having issues in the best distance.. I tried your solution to change some codes in GUI Manager but still It doesn't work.. can you please send your GUI Manager script, the that is fix. Here's my email: rupert2133@gmail.com

btw, im using the 2.3 version

Thanks!

16. Artiers

Artiers

For the people who might be interested to see what you can do with this toolkit on android, here is a game.
    (It's adapted for 800x480 screens.)

17. Dreeka

Dreeka

@natella
    The best way would be to create a different animator controller for each submarine. Then create a new array on the Player Manager to store the controllers, then assign the required controller to your animator component in the ChangeSkin function. This way, each submarine get it's own animation.

@rupert213
    Can you pm me your invoice number?

@Artiers
    Looks great! :)

18. username132323232

username132323232

Hello. Does this work with keyboard or game controller input? Thanks.

19. Mad-App

Mad-App

I downloaded and seemed okay. But tried to tweak the / player speed/ game speed + and started getting negative numbers in the the shop Menu like ( another post mentioned this negatives)...

Also when you die, current missions menu shows up. But all it ever says is completed on all 3 bars (maybe i have to do some scripting to actually show some numbers for this menu?).

Also you mentioned 3rd submarine, yet i downloaded version 2.4 and i still only have 2 subs..

My main question is this.
    I am thinking that reimporting the project from the asset store should get me started fresh again , but not so . So I do not open new project/click on import asset infinite runner (because project not fresh). I open new project , go to asset store, search infinite runner, import from asset store..

Still I have negative numbers and 2 subs and well, seems not like a fresh project...

Can you help? What am I doing wrong? Thank you. (unity 4.6.3)

20. Mad-App

Mad-App

21. Dreeka

Dreeka

@username132323232
    Currently, the kit only works with mouse/touch controls. But you can extend the control system with relative ease. If you need, I can help you with a keyboard input.

@Mad App:
    The latest build (2.4) has the third submarine is in there, and a fix has been applied to the negative power up numbers.
    There was some discussion about the asset store, that it will store an 4.x and an 5.x version separately. So if you are downloading from 4.6.3, it is possible that you are downloading an older version. I am going to test this today, and if that appears to be true, I will upload the new version to the 4.x series as well.

About the missions. If you complete a mission, it will show the description, along the the "Completed" text. If the mission is not yet completed, it will show the 'actual numbers / target numbers' instead. If the mission is completed, you will receive a new one in the next run. If there are no more missions for a bar, it will simple says "Completed". If you wish to reset the mission status, you will need to call the Save Manager's ResetMissions() function. You can call it from code, or assign a button to it.

I will get back to you later today, but you should try to download the kit from Unity 5.x in the meantime.

Update:
    The kit is available in the currently live 2D sale, at an 50% discount. So grab it while you can!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  22. hitgamevg

hitgamevg

@Dreeka
    I have noticed a bug in the game. When you touch the screen to play, and then tap on Pause button in the top right. It brings up the Pause menu. Then if you select Resume, the Pause menu disappears and the game resumes with the Pause button again visible on the top right. However, if you selected Quit or Retry, the Pause menu disappears, the game starts and the Pause button is hidden. So you can no longer pause the game if you wanted to. Please advise.

There is also another weird bug which appeared while testing the game. The sonic blast gets attached to the front of the submarine and there is no way to fix it. You need to quit the app to get things back to normal. I have not made any changes in code; I found this in initial testing after purchasing the toolkit. Will let you know more when I know how to replicate the bug.

23. ashleydp

ashleydp

@Dreeka, using the 2D toolkit, I currently have two issues can you provide any assistance for these?

To re-create the issue build for Mac OS X and when the game starts in this case in windowed mode:

1.) Click command F (Fullscreen) the game objects e.g. background, sand etc. aren't scaling to the window width correctly, then
    2.) Click command F again (back to windowed mode) and you get a black screen.

Note - When you use the green maximize icon in the window I don't encounter the issues above strangely.

My app was rejected on the Mac App store due to this bug so any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

24. Dreeka

Dreeka

@hitgamevg
    Thank you for reporting the bugs. I will look into them, and fix them in the next update. You can except it in 2-3 days.

@ashleydp
    For performance reasons, the background and sand scaling is only done 1 time, and the start of the game. However, in the next update, I will update this, so it will work with every resolution change.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  25. ashleydp

ashleydp

@Dreeka, thanks can you comment on the black screen? Also when is your next update scheduled for release?

26. ashleydp

ashleydp

@Dreeka, it looks like the black screen was related to a Unity bug that was resolved in the last update. If you can let me know and when I can get your next update to resolve the resolution issue that would be great.

27. Dreeka

Dreeka

@ashleydp
    Thanks for writing down the fix for the black screen!
    If all goes well, I will be able to submit it to the Asset Store in 1-2 days.

@Mad App: @hitgamevg:
    The 4.6 and the 5.x version of the kit is handled separately. If you wish to use the latest version right now, then download it from Unity 5. I am going to update the 4.6 version as well, so if you want to use that, then you will have to wait a few days. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  28. hitgamevg

hitgamevg

@Dreeka
    At the Asset Store, I still see version 2.4; did you manage to fix the issue with the Pause button as described in my earlier post? If so, have you uploaded it to the Asset Store? Please let me know, thanks!

29. nickthegreek

nickthegreek

OK I am going to post it here as well because Dreeka seems to answers questions in this topic and ignores my messages in the page for the 2D Physics Puzzle kit. I have sent 3 messages since 2 weeks and I got no responce. Here answers quickly everything. Anyway, the question is simple, and the answer more simple:

Is it going to be an upgrade to the 2D Physics Puzzle kit in order to support Unity 5?

Thanks

30. Crimson Flare

Crimson Flare

Hi Dreeka,

I just want to start off by saying that your 2D toolkit is fantastic. It's easy to use, flexible and the code is well commented.

However, I have an issue that I require help with. I am trying to change the default submarine sprites to some animated prefabs that I have created. These are Spriter Animations (.SCML) files which were imported into Unity and converted into prefabs using the third party "Spriter2UnityDX" importer. They do work if I just drag them from the project window into the scene window but because I wish to swap out the default submarine sprites, I have to use the Inspector.

I tried modifying "public var subTextures" and "public var subRenderer" from PlayerManagerJS by changing their variable types to "GameObject" and removing ".sprite" from all the "subRenderer.sprite = subTextures[currentSkinID * 2 + 1];" lines. I then selected my prefabs in the Inspector but this does not work.

Additionally, I am not quite sure what to do with the Sprite Renderer component of the Submarine game object since it only accepts sprites and not prefabs, which is what I have to work with.

Your help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

31. Dreeka

Dreeka

@ashleydp:
    The new update for the Unity 5.0 version is submitted to the Asset Store, and it should be available soon.
    If you wish to have the updated resolution manager faster, pm me you invoice number, and I will send it!

@hitgamevg:
    Yes, you see the 2.4 version, but if you download it from Unity 4.6, you get the last compatible version, which is version 2.3. The issue you have experienced has been fixed in 2.4. I am going to update the Unity 4.6 release as fast as possible to version 2.4. Sorry for the inconvenience!

@nickthegreek:
    When someone asks a question, I receive an email about it, and I answer based on that. I have not received any notification about your questions. I should have checked the topic anyway, so I am sorry about not answering your question earlier!
    Yes, I am planning to update the physics kit for Unity 5 in the next month.

@Crimson Flare:
    So, if I get it right, the Spriter2UnityDX imported creates a game object, and you wish to use that, right?
    If that is the case, then do the following:
    o Remove the Sprite Renderer component from the submarine object.
    o Assign your game object to the submarine, as a child object
    o Modify the player manager script, remove the subRenderer variable, and every line related to it.
    o Then create a new variable for the animator component (your game object should have have), and assign it
    o Then add the animator parameter modification code, where you need it (I dont know your setup, so I dont know what/where do you need)

I was not able to test the method I described above, so if something is not working, send me a PM with more details.
    Also, If you wish to use multiple skins, then make each skin a different game object, and only enable the one you use.

Crimson Flare likes this.
  32. Crimson Flare

Crimson Flare

Your instructions worked out great! Thanks so much, Dreeka! The only thing extra I had to do was comment out the following line from the PlayerManagerJS script: if (playerStatus != PlayerStatusJS.Crashed). This was so that I would not get BCE0043: Unexpected token: } and BCE0044: expecting }, found 'public' errors. Otherwise, I managed to get my animated .prefab game objects working pretty easily :)

33. hitgamevg

hitgamevg

@Dreeka
    I think the Pause button issue is still not fixed in version 2.4.1

Just to elaborate the problem here again:

There is a Pause button in the top right of the screen when you play the game. If you click on it, the Pause menu comes up. Then if you click the Quit button, the game starts from the beginning, but the Pause button in the top right is not visible anymore, so you cannot Pause the game.

34. Crimson Flare

Crimson Flare

By the way, Dreeka, does completing the missions grant you anything besides a sense of achievement? Can you reward the players with some money if they complete a mission?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  35. cybergoogle

cybergoogle

What would this be in C#?

36. Dreeka

Dreeka

@Crimson Flare:
    Glad it worked! :) Also, what do you mean 'public' errors?
    At the moment, they do not give gold. I will create a small instruction, on how to add gold after each mission, if you require.

@hitgamevg:
    Update 2.4.1 only updated the 5.0 version of the kit. The Unity 4.6 version is still in the works. I was not able to release it in time, but it is almost done. Sorry for the delay!

@cybergoogle
    Code (CSharp):
    1.  bool[] unlockedSkins = new bool[] { true, SaveManager.skin2Unlocked == 1, SaveManager.skin3Unlocked == 1 };
    2.         for (int i = 0; i < 3; i++)
    3.         {
    4.             //If this is the current skin
    5.             if (SaveManager.currentSkinID == i)
    6.             {
    7.                 shopSubmarineButtons[i].sprite = ShopSkinButtonSprites[0];
    8.             }
    9.             else
    10.             {
    11.                 if (unlockedSkins[i])
    12.                     shopSubmarineButtons[i].sprite = ShopSkinButtonSprites[1];
    13.                 else
    14.                     shopSubmarineButtons[i].sprite = ShopSkinButtonSprites[2];
    15.             }
    16.         }

Crimson Flare and cybergoogle like this.
  37. Crimson Flare

Crimson Flare

Oh, Dreeka, I just copy-pasted the errors from the Unity console. Not to worry, I have already resolved those errors.

Yes, I would like to reward the player with gold after they complete each mission.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  38. hitgamevg

hitgamevg

But I imported the files using the latest Unity version 5.1.1f1, and still the same issue persists. Please advise.

39. hitgamevg

hitgamevg

@Dreeka
    The background music works fine but the sounds effects don't work. I have read the code for AudioManager.cs, and it seems fine, so why is it that the sounds effects don't play? Am I missing something here; do I need to create an AudioSource for each audio clip? Could you please guide on this, thanks!

40. cybergoogle

cybergoogle

hey there @hitamveg have you looked at the Overlord object in your scene? That has the AudioManager.cs script attached and thats where you can assign your audio clips. Hope that helps a little more until @Dreeka can get back to you.

41. cybergoogle

cybergoogle

Attached Files:

42. cybergoogle

cybergoogle

@GiusCo I was wondering how you went about integrating the Game Center to your game? More so interested in reporting achievements and such I got a couple of plugins to help but I'm not sure how to use them in the context of this toolkit.

43. hitgamevg

hitgamevg

Thanks @cybergoogle - That's exactly how it is. All clips are selected in the Overlord game object. Still the sound effects don't work; only the background music plays.

Overlord-Inspector.jpg

44. hitgamevg

hitgamevg

@cybergoogle - Got it. In AudioSource, had to change Spatial Blend to 0, to make it 2D. They have changed the style of settings in the latest Unity version. Earlier, it used to have separate 2D Sound Settings section.

@Dreeka - The audio is working fine. Can you please look at the Pause button issue. Thanks!

cybergoogle likes this.
  45. hitgamevg

hitgamevg

@Dreeka
    Say I buy 10 Shields from the shop. Now when I start the game, the GUI shows the button for the Shield powerup. Say I use it and the shield is raised. Then when the shield collapses on collision, I still have 9 remaining in the inventory. But the shield button does not re-appear for me to use again. When I pause the game and resume, then the button appears again for use.

I have read the code and it appears that the powerup buttons are not updated after the user has used and finished a powerup. For instance, in case of a shield collapsing, the powerup buttons are not updated from data in the SaveManager. Is that intentional? Won't it be better if I could use the powerups in the inventory without having to pause and then resume the game each time?

Thoughts from other devs are most welcome on this issue :)

46. hitgamevg

hitgamevg

@Dreeka
    I mentioned a bug earlier where the sonic blast gets attached to the back of the submarine. And it stays like that until you close the app and relaunch it. Please look at the attached image.

Has anyone else experienced this bug?

Sonic-Blast-Bug.png

47. Dreeka

Dreeka

Update 2.4.2 has been submitted to the Asset Store!
    Changelog:
    o Updates the Unity 4.6 version to release 2.4.
    o Bug fixes

@hitgamevg:
    You actually have to redownload it from the asset store again, from Unity 5. But if you wish to stay with Unity 4.6, then do the following:
    Go to the GUI Manager, and in the PauseButton function, replace

Code (CSharp):
    1. StartCoroutine(DisableMenu(pauseMenuAnimator, 1));
    with
    Code (CSharp):
    1. StartCoroutine(DisableMenu(pauseMenuAnimator, 0.2f));
    You should also do this in the Retry function, just to be sure.

Also, you are right about the power up buttons. I have also fixed this in the latest release. If you use a powerup, and it's effect is gone (shield collapses, extra speed/sonic wave is over), the power up button will reappear, if you have more of that type in your inventory.

48. CarmineR

CarmineR

@Dreeka I'm sorry if it was mentioned elsewhere and I just missed it, but just for clarity's sake is it possible for you to share what licenses you're using for this? Is there a different license each for the music vs. the sounds vs. the art vs. the code?

49. hitgamevg

hitgamevg

@Dreeka
    Thank you for the update. The new version has not yet been published on the Asset Store; will import it when it is available.

Meanwhile, I have tried the code replacement suggested by you, but it does not seem to work. Click the Pause button on the top right, it brings up the Pause menu. Click Quit or Retry button in the Pause menu, the game restarts but the Pause button is not visible anymore on the top right of the screen. So you cannot Pause the game anymore.

50. Dreeka

Dreeka

@CarmineR:
    You can use every asset in your game, from code to audio. However, you can not resell the content on the Asset Store, or any other similar website.

@hitgamevg
    The only issue the pause menu had, that if you pause the game, then resume it, and then pause it immediately again, the pause menu disappeared. This issue has been fixed.

I was not able to reproduce your issue in a clean build. So, this is probably caused by one of your modification.