Search Unity

2D Infinite Runner Toolkit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Dreeka, Jun 9, 2013.

1. BenM

BenM

Not sure what else to say.

From memory, I simply attached the script as mentioned to the particle effect. Then I set the layer and order to be something that was similar to those similar objects.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  2. drswoboda

drswoboda

Hello,

I'm stepping back into this project after a short layoff.

I've been meaning to ask this question for quite a while, and I'm finally getting around to it. In terms of game logic, what is the difference between the QUIT and RETRY buttons on the Pause menu? Obviously RESUME is the unPause button, but I am confused on the differences of QUIT and RETRY.

Thanks,
    -David

3. BenM

BenM

On a very quick check it seems that the only difference is that retry will start the game again, whereas quit will take to the hanger/menu screen but will not start the game again until the player presses the screen.

4. aendom

aendom

How can I change the "Best" DistanceText from 0M to 0Y... I cant find the script. problem.jpg
    Thanks

5. aendom

aendom

It was on the MainMenu.cs ( in the C# case)

6. Plott

Plott

Anyone know how I can make this depreciate by 1?

Code (CSharp):
    1.     public void MinusPunchText(int newAmmount)
    2.     {
    3.         string s = "";
    5.         for (int i = 0; i < 4 - newAmmount.ToString().Length; i++)
    6.             s += "0";
    8.         s += newAmmount.ToString();
    10.         punchAmmount.text = s;
    11.         punchMainAmmount.text = s;
    12.     }
    Basically i added a punch attack to my game, but the Gui text needs to minus one amount once clicked. Any ideas?

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi,
    can I use 3d objects with this kit?

8. Perseus25

Perseus25

Hi Dreeka !
    In Class SaveManager, maybe you've missed PlayerPrefs.Save() at the end of the function SaveMissionData().

9. Plott

Plott

I fixed it.

10. Dreeka

Dreeka

Sorry I wasn't able to answer your questions in the last week. When a new post is made in this thread, I used to got an email about it. However, I received none in the last week, so I assumed that there are no new post. But I see I was wrong. Lesson learned.

@krystian75
    Yes, you can swap the sprites to 3D models.

@watashi2013
    Thanks for reporting it!

11. adamvisionstudios

adamvisionstudios

Hey @BenM did you ever sort out that clicking and dragging issue you encountered?

12. BenM

BenM

Hi @nickervision . Yes I did.
    The problem is the icons are meant to be offscreen when they are not active, but on some devices/resolutions/aspect ratios they are just slightly onscreen. Almost so you don't notice them. So it kind of happens when you just happen to have your finger at that spot on the bottom of the screen, you will activate them or interact with them.

The fix... Move them offscreen a bit more.
    So..
    Select all the items under PowerUpActivations and make it negative 1 (-1) more. Eg. -3.25 would become -4.25 (not sure what the normal figure is now. This moves it offscreen more.
    Then in MainGui add 1 to Power Movement setting. This counters the extra distance that you moved it offscreen, so it will actually move back onto the screen.

Congrats on the game btw. Seems to be going great guns there.

13. orangeris

orangeris

Hello Dreeka,

Im still trying to investigate how to switch on any particles in scene. Now only bubble particle linked on mainhero working for me. If I put particles in moving layers or link to any prefab in moving layers particles dont show anymore.
    Any solution for this? (I already tried pu sorting script but no luck)
    Thanks a lot for help.
    R.B.

14. Perseus25

Perseus25

Hi Dreeka,
    When the submarine be crashed, I see a problem
    Untitled.png

Can you tell me how to fix it :)

15. adamvisionstudios

adamvisionstudios

@BenM Thanks for the response. Yah that is what I did initially to stop the sliding buttons. Though I still seemed to have encountered it another time. Maybe they are still too close. Ill try another shift again.

Also, thanks for the grats. It's been pretty fun, I've actually made quite a few changes to the game now since the beginning and have a big patch coming this week V1.1 that adds even more characters to unlock.

For those that are interested in checking out what I did with this framework.

It is available for download on the Google Play Store here

As a side note, anyone questioning whether to give this asset a shot, do it! It has made a massive difference in my ability to interpret and understand a lot of the code. A majority of the changes I've made, couldn't have been made without learning how things work by intensely analyzing this Asset. It is the best thing I've bought on the Unity store. @Dreeka has made something special here and continues to support it. We should all do the same. Hell I may buy another copy on this account just to show my gratitude.

@watashi2013 Hey, I came across this same problem. I can't remember exactly why they weren't equalling the same number, but I think it had to do with the "you went..." number being recorded the moment you died. And the top left number continued recording your distance after the slide. In my game I include the slide into the high score. I changed the line in FinishMenu.cs to look something like this:

distanceAmmount.text = "You went "+LevelManager.saveDistance + "M";

Hope that helps. :)

Perseus25 likes this.
  16. Perseus25

Perseus25

17. Dreeka

Dreeka

@nickervision @watashi2013
    The bug fix update for the runner kit will be submitted next week.

@orangeris
    I will research your issue, and create a step by step guide for you tomorrow.

@nickervision
    You game is really nice, I see you have put your hearth in it. Awsome job!:) And thanks for the kind words!

Perseus25 likes this.
  18. majidmasud

majidmasud

please give me this type of game source code.

19. Dreeka

Dreeka

@majidmasud
    Sorry, but I cant help you with that in the near future.

@orangeris
    1. Create your particle, and disable it's looping and play on awake properties
    2. Add a Set Rendering Layer script to it, and set it's parameters, depending on your need
    3. Create a prefab from it, then assign it to your obstacle

So, right now you have the particle system applied to the obstacle. But when you start the game, you will not see it, because it is not playing by default. You have to play in in the proper time, with it's Play() method. To do this, you will need to store/get a reference to it. This can be done in different ways, and is depending on your use. For example, if you want to play the particle when the submarine collides with the obstacle, then you can get a reference to the child particle by looping through all the child objects. But if you want it to play in a different time/event, then a different approach is required.

20. wallace.d

wallace.d

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  21. Remy_

Remy_

Hi there ! A little bit of promotion too, I just released a game based on the incredible Infinite runner toolkit !
    Grab your android version now, iOs coming soon !

Thanks a lot for the kit, it's really an awesome ressource for learning. The foundations are brillant and the fact that NO PLUG-IN are required to make it work, with a great performance and clever solutions is a must. Good luck guys on your project :)

CA_Screenshot_Logo_.jpg

22. chewieee

chewieee

@Dreeka hi i buy this tooklit is it able to support windows phone ???

23. Dreeka

Dreeka

@Remy_
    I have tried the game, you did a really good job with the kit! :) I wish the best luck to you with your game!

@chewieee
    I do not have a windows phone, so I can not test it myself, but it should run on windows phone without an issue.

24. freakprince

freakprince

Dreeka? any reason my crows stop flying? they spawn but not fly across the screen

25. Mayank516

Mayank516

hi Dreeka
    Great toolkit.
    I want to create a platform based 2D infinite runner game. Is it possible with this kit.If yes, Please let me know how ??

26. Dreeka

Dreeka

@freakprince
    I did not forget your question. I have installed the game my android phone, but it is having technical difficulties, so I cant re check it at the moment. And my android tablet is unsupported. My phone will be fixed in a few days, then I can give a proper answer.

@Mayank516
    Yes, it is possible. The level generator creates the obstacles from pre created groups, and places them on a set position. So, you should create your platforms, and assign a moving layer script for it, and then assign it to the level generator. You can also derivate a new script from the moving layer script, and you can add a new behaviour to it. If you tell me what do you want exactly, I can help you write that script.

27. freakprince

freakprince

sorry man by crows i meant torpedoes( i replaced torpedoes with crows in my game)

28. John-Sandrey

John-Sandrey

I was just wondering if you still plan on updating to the new UI? If yes I was just wondering if you had a ETA on the update?

29. Dreeka

Dreeka

@freakprince
    I got my phone working again. I have encountered two animals based on the torpeoes. They looked good for me. However, I have never encountered crows. Are they even spawning?

@John Sandrey
    Now that 4.6 is out of beta, yes I am updating the kit. My current ETA is next weekend.

30. freakprince

freakprince

I think you are mistaking me for someone else? Anyway the torpedoes in my game do spawn but they do not move across the screen:/

31. John-Sandrey

John-Sandrey

Thanks, looking forward to the new update.

32. arnab13

arnab13

hi,

Was going to purchase this awesome project . But thought to ask some questions before purchasing it .....

Like ....

- Can we add levels to the game so that user can select what level he wants to play from the start menu ?
    - Can we have something called points that we can use to unlock the levels ( based on points like 800 points required to unlock the next level ) so can we use something like this or we have to code it ?
    - Can we integrate the payment system so that user can purchase game parts or characters using either game points or real cash .
    - Can we add something like we subtract points if the game char collides with a hurdle ?? is there any possibility for that ??
    - Can we add characters & let them get purchased via shop ?

Please solve my above queries .....

33. Dreeka

Dreeka

@freakprince
    Yes, I mistaken you for someone else. You should check the speed of the torpedoes. It is possible that it is set to 0 in the inspector.

@arnab13
    Thank you for your questions. Here are my answers:
    • Yes, you can do it quite easily. Create every level as a different scene, and create a main menu scene for it. Then move from the main menu to the required level by loading it.
    • This feature is possible as well. You have to code it with, but it is easy as well
    • The kit does not come with a built in payment system, but you can add any third party system to the kit
    • This can be done with basically 5 lines of code
    • You can already purchase an extra submarine from the shop, but you can also add animated characters as well.
    About the update:
    I did my research on the new UI system, and started to integrate it to the kit. The main menu, the shop, and the in level UI is done. I have also changed he UI moving and transition system. In the old version, it was handled by code, but in the new version, the kit uses the built in animation system, and the mecanim state machine. This reduces the number of lines in the GUI Manager by a lot, resulting in a better system, and better code structure. Approximately a day of work is remaining until I can submit the update, but I will spend my next 4 days in the university, so I can only submit it in the second half of the week.

34. arnab13

arnab13

@Dreeka thanks for quick reply .....

Also is there any support forum for this package like where we can request some code modification or we can ask here on unity forum ?

Also could we add a 2d running character in place of submarine in your game ??? so that we can play the game with 2d running character ??

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  35. username132323232

username132323232

Pre-sale questions:

Has the screen resolution problem with iPhone 5s been fixed?

Does this kit work with all resolutions and aspect ratios?

Are .psd files included in the kit?

Thanks!

36. DenisFernandes

DenisFernandes

How i can change the position of "PowerUpActivations" ?

Great asset by the way!

37. Dreeka

Dreeka

@arnab13
    I can do small modifcations, if requested. Yes, you can replace the submarine with a running character easily.

@username132323232
    The 4.6 update will be submitted in the weekend with the new UI. Then the kit will work on every device, without the current resolution manager, Currently, the psd files are not included.

@DenisFernandes
    I would suggest to wait for the new update, because the current system will be replaced with unity's new UI system.

Update:
    The webplayer has been updated to the latest version, featuring the new UI system. There are a total of 3 big, technical changes in the updated. First, the entire UI is recreated with Unity's new UI system from 4.6, so it is faster, and easier to modify. Secondly, the menu movement and animation are now handled by the build in animation system, and mecanim state machine (for example, here is the state machine for the main menu header). In the old version, these effects where created by code. And finally, the kit now uses the new anchor system, so the UI is now truly resolution and device independent, without using a resolution manager.

With these changes, the GUI related code in the kit is now only 470 lines long (from around 1030).

Now I only need to fix a few minor bugs, and update the documentation. I will be able to submit the update tomorrow.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
    DenisFernandes likes this.
  38. BluePhaze

BluePhaze

Hello @Dreeka I wanted to check with you and see if you were able to implement the features you had mentioned in an earlier post, basically adding scrolling to the shop so that we can easily add more ships, etc... to it without having to recreate the UI.

39. Dreeka

Dreeka

@BluePhaze
    Thanks for bringing it to my attention!
    I have added the feature to the build (the graphics for it is work in progress).

40. John-Sandrey

John-Sandrey

I was checking out the new web version, I noticed that the power up buttons were not showing up for use.

41. BluePhaze

BluePhaze

@Dreeka Thanks! I can't wait to see this in the next update using the New Unity UI. The powerups in the new version seem to come way too often. Though that can be adjusted easily in my own game. Just something I noticed since the last time. Any time frame on the new update being put on the asset store?

42. Dreeka

Dreeka

@John Sandrey @BluePhaze
    I have update the build, added the final scrollbar, and fixed the powerup spawning. Thanks for the reports!
    Can you check the powerup buttons again? Because they do show up for me.

43. lullaharsh

lullaharsh

How to change price of a powerup? I can't find that in the documentation

44. John-Sandrey

John-Sandrey

In the new web build I do not see a health button when I die. And when I collect a power up the buttons are not popping up. I tried it with safari, crome, and fire fox. Also the scrolling menu works fine. but if i remember correctly, there was a pause button? if so it is not showing also. But if it is working for you may be it is a bug for me, and i will try it when you update it.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  45. BluePhaze

BluePhaze

Hello @Dreeka it seems that everything is working well in your latest build (webplayer). Is there any chance you could put together a tutorial on swapping out the image assets with our own? I am still finding my way around your template, and have some graphics of my own I would like to test with. I can look at each item and drag new images to their sprite renderer, but wondered if you had a list anywhere of each asset and where it is found and how they are related to eachother. Maybe even just a walk through of swapping to the Alien Skin that you included with the last set of updates?

46. Dreeka

Dreeka

@lullaharsh
    In the latest version, you simply has to change the price text from 300 to any other number.

@John Sandrey
    I have updated the web build, fixed the remaining bugs, so it should be good by now.

@BluePhaze
    Changing one image to an other is simple. Select an object in the scene, and in the inspector, look at the sprite renderer component. In that component, there will be a property, called Sprite. Click on the white circle to it's right, and select a new texture for the object. If you can't see your texture, then select your texture, and in the import setting, change the texture type to Sprite.
    If you want to change every texture, then I would suggest you to take a look at the Prefabs folder in the kit (from them project view). If you do a modification in these objects, these will affect every instance of it in the kit. For example, if you change the coin's texture to something else, then every coin will have that new texture. This way, you can easily replace the textures in the kit.

About update 2.3:
    It has been submitted to the Asset Store, and should be available soon!
    Changelog:
    • The UI is recreated using Unity’s new UI system
    • Menu movement and animation is now handled with Unity’s animation system
    • Bug fixes

47. lullaharsh

lullaharsh

Thanks for the reply

48. lullaharsh

lullaharsh

Any chance of in app purchases

49. lullaharsh

lullaharsh

Please tell me on which object is savemanager script attached to plz plzo_Oo_O

50. paliopolis

paliopolis

@Dreeka : Hi Dreeka, I bought the kit and had emailed you 3 questions that I had. Did you receive my email?