Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

2D Infinite Runner Toolkit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Dreeka, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Dreeka

Dreeka

2D Infinite Runner Toolkit is available on the Asset Store for $55.
    Online Webplayer
    2D Infinite Runner Toolkit is a feature complete and easy to use package giving you the chance to create endless runner games of any kind. The kit contains everything you need to set up your own infinite runner game. The kit contains fully commented code in C# and javascript.

Features:
    - Full gameplay mechanics (movement, obstacles, powerups, scoring)
    - Menu system (main, shop, pause, gameover)
    - Dynamic layer based level generation (including Parallax Scrolling)
    - Mission and game progress system
    - Mobile support
    - Fully commented source code in C# and JS

If you have any feedback or questions just let us know and we will try to answer them as soon as possible!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  2. Tapgames

Tapgames

This is a awesome looking toolkit! On my wish list.

Cheers, Roy

3. p6r

p6r

Wonderful : Graphics and kit !!!

6R

4. Acumen

Acumen

Thank you guys, I'm really excited to be part of this collaboration :)
    It's our first serious encounter with a project like this for the Asset Store and we hope to provide some neat updates and support for our customers. I'm working on another level set atm and we hope to fix any bugs or tripping stones that may be in our or your ways as quickly as possible :)

5. Dreeka

Dreeka

The game has been accepted, and available at the asset store!

We are looking forward to our first customers and their feedback, so don't hesitate!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  6. Tapgames

Tapgames

Congratulations! Will buy this soon! :cool:

7. Dreeka

Dreeka

Thanks for everyone who purchased the kit! We hope you will enjoy it! :)

8. Tapgames

Tapgames

Hi Dreeka, I see on the asset store that I need unity 4.1.2. I there a way to get you asset on unity 3.5.7?

Cheers, Roy

9. Tapgames

Tapgames

Never mind! I'm now a proud owner of Unity 4 and your asset :)

10. uni7y

uni7y

definitely on my to buy list... very nice starter kit!!

11. Acumen

Acumen

First of all I'd like to thank your motivating words, Tapgames. Really made me smile to see you being so anticipating towards the release. And now even have Unity 4 on your hand for this kit :D

We will be updating this kit hopefully within next week, with 1-2-3 interesting things, so stay tuned !

Since Dreeka has an important final exam today/right now (?) I'd like to thank unity/caitlyn (?) for having us featured on the frontpage of the AssetStore. We are so proud and I snapped a quick picture to prove to Dreeka that I wasn't dreaming :)

Thank you so much for the ongoing community support and now even our own asset store product. We couldn't be any more proud to be part of this.
    Free hugs can be collected at the exit \o/

12. Tapgames

Tapgames

Hi Acumen,

This kit is just to cool, I have one issue tho! When I play this game in the editor all works fine but when I play on my iPad 3 I just get a blank level. Nu Coins or mines. I will see the torpedo's. See Screenshot.

$IMG_0339.PNG

I was running the c# version but the javascript version is working but there are minor details missing line the sand on the floor is flat.

$IMG_0340.PNG

Cheers, Roy

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  13. Dreeka

Dreeka

Hey Tapgames

Thanks for the feedback!

The first issue is caused by generic lists I used in the C# version. I will release a fix tomorrow!
    I will look into the second issue once I get home!

Thank you for your patience, and sorry for the trouble!

14. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Looks like you got a small feature spot on the asset store homepage, good job!

15. Migueljb

Migueljb

Great asset love the flow of the game it has. Can we get this for 3.5.7 as that's where I have my iOS pro license. Would be a definite buy if you could get it working for 3.5. Thanks.

16. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Yeah congrats on the frontpage of the asset store.

17. Acumen

Acumen

Thanks or your support, guys :)
    Feels so crazy and unbelievable, we even had the honor of having a big feature on the frontpage for a couple of hours. Still have to rub my eyes over it.
    Can't wait to tackle our next steps on this and future kits !

18. Tapgames

Tapgames

That's because it's a great asset :D

19. Tapgames

Tapgames

Any update on this? :)

20. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Even if they fixed it it usually takes a few days for the asset store to accept an update.

21. Acumen

Acumen

Yeh, Dreeka is going back and forth to make it work, we should be posting an update today for this and some other small issues or may I say submit an update. As Aiursrage2k said it might take a while longer to be live, though.
    We hope to also post a little video of the kit running on my iPad as well :)

22. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Can you please explain the missions a bit more?
    Can i use this to have different levels with different kind of assets?
    If so then i would know more to how i can use this.

23. GiusCo

GiusCo

This is catchy and into my wish list already, well done and good luck with the sales!

The sandbox (mechanics, templates, scripts, missions generation) seems to be perfectly autonomous and self standing. If the case, we would simply need to replace your original art / assets with ours in order to generate as many endless 2D games we want?

One other question is: what about the interaction with plug-ins? I'm mostly thinking of Game Center in-app purchases + Google Play services.

Thanks.

24. Dreeka

Dreeka

RandAlThor:
    The game sends notifications to the mission manager, when a mission event occurs. If the event type is used in an active mission, then the mission gets a status update.
    The level generator can work with different setup, but it might require minimal code change.

GiusCo:
    Thanks, we appreciate your opinion! :)
    You can replace the art, and create a different endless runner, but you might need to change the code as well. For example, if you want to replace the submarine to a character, you will need to modify the controls in the player manager.

We have not tested the kit with third party plugins, but I think the kit can work with them.

25. Dreeka

Dreeka

The issue with the C# version affecting Android and iOS version has been fixed, and submitted to the asset store for review.

Here is a picture of the kit running in my tablet PC:
    $tkjb.jpg

Please note, that the kit was created with 4:3 resolution. If you wish to work with the kit on wide screen resolutions, you will have to make smaller modifications in the gui manager/scene setup. The next update will feature a resolution manager for easier setup.

Here is what we have in mind for the next update:
    - Unity 3.5 support
    - Resolution manager, for multi resolution setup
    - Improved inspector structure
    - Performance optimization for mobile devices
    - Code optimization
    - Improved documentation

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  26. Tapgames

Tapgames

Truly awesome! Can't wait to see the update live in the asset store! :)

27. uni7y

uni7y

Just bought it and I like the KIT very much. It is a great learning tool and I will rate it 4 stars because I miss 2 things. 1. I miss the audio and 2. the documentation (manual) is not enough to see how this starter kit is working, I hope you can add these improvements so I can rate it 5 stars :)

28. Dreeka

Dreeka

Thanks for the kind words spotdot2!

The manual will be updated in the next update. Audio is on the to do list for update 1.1

29. sirius_002

sirius_002

Hi guys,

First off all; great kit, very addictive and playable. I bought this and played it a while, during which I came across a few things, please let me know what you think.

1. Sometimes when you buy a revive in the shop it doesn't appear in the top like it does when you pick one up
    2. If a torpedo appears just after your "speed" pick up runs out the torpedo still shoots across the screen very fast (unable to dodge)
    3. Can't use sonic blast at the start, so why buy it in the shop? (what is the use of buying sonic blast?)

Maybe the shop bought items should be on screen while playing not just briefly at the start? Your thoughts?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  30. Dreeka

Dreeka

Hey,

Thank you for your kind words! :)

1. I will fix it in the next update
    2. I will fix it in the next update as well
    3. At the start of the game, when you activate the bought power ups, there are no obstacles yet. SO if you activate the sonic blast power up at the start, then the first power up that appears on the screen will be a sonic blast. I hope it is clear now :)

With a minor modification in the GUI manager, it is possible to keep the activation icons there in the entire game.

31. sirius_002

sirius_002

Thanks for clearing that up Dreeka, one more thing; I would like some limited y parallax scrolling (just a tiny amount for depth), any ideas?

32. Dreeka

Dreeka

You can add that in the LevelGenerator script ScrollLevel method.
    You should calculate the scrolling ammount based on the submarine's y position and movement (up or down), and apply the movement to the different layers based on the previous value.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  33. sirius_002

sirius_002

Maybe you can add an example in a future version for us designer folks :)

34. uni7y

uni7y

Any news on this one? I don't see the update yet... I just can't wait :)

35. Acumen

Acumen

Unfortunately it was still not approved, yet. We are sending an email out to the asset store team today to speed it up a notch, hopefully :)
    Guess it's busy days for everyone around this time of the year.

36. uni7y

uni7y

yep I guess you are right :) Thanks for the fast reply!

37. Dreeka

Dreeka

Update 1.01 has been accepted, and now live on the asset store!

38. TheRealFuzz

TheRealFuzz

Hey this looks great and I think I might buy it tomorrow! One thing though, can you make it so when you open the missions panel you can scroll through the list and completed missions have a tick icon next to them or such? I would do it myself but I have limited programming knowledge.

39. dev1791

dev1791

I think a version should also be created where the landscape is fixed and only the object moves.

40. Hiro-Lee

Hiro-Lee

I've just bought the game and it's very well organized, all the code is well commented and easy to understand. The game would be more addicting and increase user retention if you add more character to unlock. I'd like to do it myself but I have zero knowledge in programing :) If you could add that function (and In app purchase too, so player can buy more coins) the code would be much more lucrative :) Hell, I would be willing to pay more for the update :)

41. uni7y

uni7y

in app purchase? if this happens I will pay double the price! :)

42. Hazard-Harry

Hazard-Harry

This is the first paid asset I have downloaded and I have to say it is very well put together. The code is well commented and fairly easy to follow, even for someone with limited programming knowledge. Being new to unity, I am using this asset to help learn my way around and am having a great time experimenting to create new gameplay and effects. I am actually more addicted to this toolkit than I have been to any game for a long time, well done!

43. Dreeka

Dreeka

Thanks for the positive feedbacks! :)

TheRealFuzz:
    The kit was designed with 3 active missions at a time. Modifying it to your needs is possible. I cant do it at the moment, because I have 2 updates ahead of me, with an additional kit, but if you want to do it, you will need to modify the GUI Manager, Mission Manager, and Save Manager scripts.

dev1791:
    That would require a new level generation setup. I can make smaller modifications/addons on request, but swapping out a core mechanic is too big.
    Also, I think the current level generation (landscape is moving) is more flexible.

Hiro Lee:
    An additional and stronger submarine to unlock is on my to do list for 1.1. I will look into the possibility to add in app purchase for 1.1

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  44. dev1791

dev1791

I think the other way would be better when your object is interacting with the ground. If you make the other version I am ready to pay for it.

45. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Dreeka,
    Can you give a list of what will be in 1.1?
    Sound efx?
    Updated manual.

Also do you have a video of it running on mobile.

46. Hiro-Lee

Hiro-Lee

Dreeka, how can I change character movement speed? I mean, the speed of the submarine along the y axis?

47. Dreeka

Dreeka

pixelsteam:
    Update 1.02:
    - Unity 3.5 support
    - Resolution manager, for multi resolution setup
    - Improved inspector structure
    - Performance optimization for mobile devices
    - Code optimization
    - Improved documentation
    - Bug fixes

Update 1.1:
    - New level
    - New submarine to unlock/buy
    - Audio manager*
    - In App purchase support*

Items marked with * are in plan, but might come in a later update.

Hiro Lee:
    You can change the scrolling speed related variables in the LevelGenerator script.

48. dev1791

dev1791

When can we expect v1.02 to be available?

49. Dreeka

Dreeka

Update 1.02 will be submitted around the end of next week.

50. Saxi

Saxi

This looks great. I notice a lot of these packages have C# JS. I am curious, did you code it both ways, or is there a tool that allows you to code one, then convert to the other?